Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,730 members, 7,955,769 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 02:41 PM

Can We Hold-off On 2015? - Pleeaase. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can We Hold-off On 2015? - Pleeaase. (792 Views)

Which Minister Do We Hold Accountable For The Free Meal And 5k? / David Mark Hold Off 'No Confidence’ Vote On GEJ / How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can We Hold-off On 2015? - Pleeaase. by koruji(m): 4:31am On May 09, 2011
We have just concluded a much touted free and fair election, but we all know within us the exact nature of our 2011 elections.

Meanwhile, there are already talks of 2015. IBB says the North must have the presidency in 2015. The SE wants it too. Some think the next job for Fashola is in Aso Rock. Meanwhile GEJ is yet to declare personally that he is a one-term president.

Could we just back up a minute? The dust is yet to settle on the 2011 elections. The class of 2011 Nigerian Administrators are yet to begin their term. We need to discourage all this talk about 2015. We need to stop our politicians from thinking all they have to worry about is getting elected. We need to make sure that the issues they were elected to deal with remain uppermost in their minds at least until 2014. If we don't, then nobody should be surprised when they lose focus, leaving the nation rudderless to continue this match towards the precipice.

I know one body that needs to start preparing for 2015 - INEC. They need to start the preparation now - the 2011 performance left much to be desired.
Re: Can We Hold-off On 2015? - Pleeaase. by EzeUche2(m): 4:41am On May 09, 2011
I agree with you. Each region seems to be mobilizing for 2015, but let us wait to see the dust from the current political election settles. All this talk of 2015 is kind of premature and we should be focusing on 2011. Plus, in politics, 1 year can be an eternity, not to mention 4 years. That is why I agree with this message and we definitely need to change our topics instead of worrying about 2015.
Re: Can We Hold-off On 2015? - Pleeaase. by mensdept: 6:10am On May 09, 2011
EzeUche_:

I agree with you. Each region seems to be mobilizing for 2015, but let us wait to see the dust from the current political election settles. All this talk of 2015 is kind of premature and we should be focusing on 2011. Plus, in politics, 1 year can be an eternity, not to mention 4 years. That is why I agree with this message and we definitely need to change our topics instead of worrying about 2015.

LOL, wow you finally wrote something reasonable for a change. Maybe mother's day was great for you.

Anyway, I agree, afterall, the victors in the last election have yet to be sworn in or trully scrutinized and yet the typical "Our turn 2015", has begun. Noisemakers.

How about dealing with the last 4 years, that is, those who looted and telling the new crop that the people will persecute you here or even in Toronto.
Re: Can We Hold-off On 2015? - Pleeaase. by enyojo(f): 9:15am On May 09, 2011
koruji:

We have just concluded a much touted free and fair election, but we all know within us the exact nature of our 2011 elections.

Meanwhile, there are already talks of 2015. IBB says the North must have the presidency in 2015. The SE wants it too. Some think the next job for Fashola is in Aso Rock. Meanwhile GEJ is yet to declare personally that he is a one-term president.

Could we just back up a minute? The dust is yet to settle on the 2011 elections. The class of 2011 Nigerian Administrators are yet to begin their term. We need to discourage all this talk about 2015. We need to stop our politicians from thinking all they have to worry about is getting elected. We need to make sure that the issues they were elected to deal with remain uppermost in their minds at least until 2014. If we don't, then nobody should be surprised when they lose focus, leaving the nation rudderless to continue this match towards the precipice.

I know one body that needs to start preparing for 2015 - INEC. They need to start the preparation now - the 2011 performance left much to be desired.

THE REASON WHY 2011 LEAVES MUCH TO BE DESIRED IS BECAUSE OF LATE PREPARATIONS BY THE ASPIRANTS, PARTIES AND INEC.
THE ELECTORATES IN GHANA KNOW THEIR PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATES 2 YEARS BEFORE THE GENERAL ELECTIONS. SO IF ASPIRANTS BEGIN TO EMERGE NOW, I DON'T THINK IT IS A BAD IDEA.
Re: Can We Hold-off On 2015? - Pleeaase. by Gbawe: 9:28am On May 09, 2011
To be honest, I really don't know when Nigerians will start to see what must be seen. Everyone, more or less , got the leaders they wanted . This is what we all proclaimed we would settle for before the election. It has now happened . It is then time for focus to shift towards ensuring that these leaders deliver. How about focusing on holding the President and Governors of today to task , so they move our Nation/States towards a semblance of what we want it to be, before we start thinking of who succeeds them in 4 years time?
Re: Can We Hold-off On 2015? - Pleeaase. by koruji(m): 2:49am On May 10, 2011
Agreed that we need to know the candidates well ahead of time. In fact "emergency" candidates, especially presidential ones, are the bane of our democracy so far.

Still, it doesn't seem to stand up to reason that people are talking about who should or should not be President/Governor or what have you in 2015 when those elected haven't even been sworn in.

So, let them wait till mid 2013, instead of 2014 like I earlier suggested, but not 2011 or 2012. We did not hire politicians to think about getting or keeping positions - they have to do the work demanded of those positions. There is no way they will ever do that if they get elected and immediately start thinking about getting elected 4 years down the line.

enyojo:

THE REASON WHY 2011 LEAVES MUCH TO BE DESIRED IS BECAUSE OF LATE PREPARATIONS BY THE ASPIRANTS, PARTIES AND INEC.
THE ELECTORATES IN GHANA KNOW THEIR PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATES 2 YEARS BEFORE THE GENERAL ELECTIONS. SO IF ASPIRANTS BEGIN TO EMERGE NOW, I DON'T THINK IT IS A BAD IDEA.
Re: Can We Hold-off On 2015? - Pleeaase. by vladimiros: 6:31am On May 10, 2011
one question

why is presidency so important for the north

its not like they are a productive region in Nigeria

high illiteracy , with 10% of Nigeria factory industry

i mean if you want to be president be important not useless to the whole country economically and educationally
Re: Can We Hold-off On 2015? - Pleeaase. by Mynd44: 7:42am On May 10, 2011
I am still wondering how the fact that the presidency is from a region makes the region developed jobless punks

1 Like

Re: Can We Hold-off On 2015? - Pleeaase. by PapaBrowne(m): 12:33pm On May 10, 2011
Gbawe:

To be honest, I really don't know when Nigerians will start to see what must be seen. Everyone, more or less , got the leaders they wanted . This is what we all proclaimed we would settle for before the election. It has now happened . It is then time for focus to shift towards ensuring that these leaders deliver. How about focusing on holding the President and Governors of today to task , so they move our Nation/States towards a semblance of what we want it to be, before we start thinking of who succeeds them in 4 years time?

Seconded!!

(1) (Reply)

Have You Got The Heart To Stand Up For Change? / H.i.d Awolowo To Convene First Yoruba Unity Confab Thursday / Flying Cars: Alternative To Traffic Jams, Flight Delays? (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.