Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,851 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:39 AM

Which Is Better: Auto Or Manual Golf 3? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Which Is Better: Auto Or Manual Golf 3? (11979 Views)

Auto Or Manual Car As Taxi? / Auto And Manual Golf 3,which One Is Better? / Changing Gear Of A Manual Golf 3 To Auto. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Is Better: Auto Or Manual Golf 3? by emenwa: 12:35pm On May 09, 2011
fellow Nlers,pls help me out, I want to buy a nigerian Used golf 3(auto) but I learnt its problematic that the manual one is better, pls advice, thanks
Re: Which Is Better: Auto Or Manual Golf 3? by Nautillus(m): 12:37pm On May 09, 2011
Auto Gear Is better on most cars,
Re: Which Is Better: Auto Or Manual Golf 3? by 234GT(m): 2:33pm On May 09, 2011
Under no conditions should a manual car be compared with an automatic car. Auto all the way. Driving made easy. grin grin
Re: Which Is Better: Auto Or Manual Golf 3? by badboy: 3:08am On May 10, 2011
Guy,do ensure that the gearbox is double-checked by an expert if you must buy the automatic version. Better still put in enough fuel and drive around for 30 Minutes. If my experience with golf 3 auto is anything to reckon with, the issues with the gearbox should start showing themselves. Try out the kickdown process too (drive normally up to 50-60km/hr then abruptly step on the gas fully and observe how the car responds). Lastly,and very importantly,do a scan before you commit. Some models have hidden scan ports. Mine was covered with a plastic,clip-like cover around the center console. You will be surprised at what you find out. Do note that chances are very high that the used auto Golf 3 is likely being sold because of a gear box issue. Wish you the best

3 Likes

Re: Which Is Better: Auto Or Manual Golf 3? by Nobody: 7:20am On May 10, 2011
In a car the size of a Volkswagen Golf III, I would be inclined to go for a manual. It's maintenance-free, and has no service shedule covering the gearbox. Automatics on the other hand require periodic servicing, these are generally ignored, just because the car still drives.

I haven't come across any posts on here regarding manual tranny issues, automatic issues are enough to have a forum of their own.

3 Likes

Re: Which Is Better: Auto Or Manual Golf 3? by emenwa: 11:39am On May 10, 2011
ok guys, tnx 4 ur wonderful contributions. Iv been goin round d whole of lagos since yestday bt Iv nt been able 2 see anythn dat meet my taste. can I get som help 4rm any of U? sumthn neat, tnx
Re: Which Is Better: Auto Or Manual Golf 3? by kuntash: 12:23pm On May 10, 2011
I was just reading responses and was thinking of responding " make una no let Siena hear you condemn Manual tranny" behold I saw his post,   grin grin cheesy cheesy

@ poster, in all its about maintenance, use a manual anyhow, u are on your own, when u maintain an auto properly, you might sing praises 2morrow.

before now, manual cars were more expensive than auto because of the unavailability of competence for auto tranny on the side of mechanics (even till date),   the main reason people go for Auto is CONVENIENCE driving sparked off by the high traffic congestion in Lagos and many busy cities.

apart from that, Manual transmission is good and could last longer, your brake pads in a manual car equally lasts longer, also u tend to generate more heat in an auto transmission than manual.

if you are in Lagos and your driving plan does entail u being on traffic often, I would advice you go for auto,

again, must it be a Golf? ,  Toyota camry auto drive has succeeded very well in Nigeria so far,  while not look @ that direction? abi e too big for you? lol

1 Like

Re: Which Is Better: Auto Or Manual Golf 3? by Fhemmmy: 12:59pm On May 10, 2011
For Gas consumption - Manual is better
For better handling of the ride - Manual is better
For being in control of the ride - Manual is better
Wanna be Macho and enjoy the power of a machine - Manual is better

Relaxed driving - Auto
With the Yeye traffic on Nigeria roads - Auto is better

Your choice of what makes you happy . . . . . Priceless cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Which Is Better: Auto Or Manual Golf 3? by adeolaamii: 5:34pm On May 10, 2011
guy hw u dey i av a golf3 manual 2dors very very ok and clen u can kal me de car is ni surulere 08084020248 lekan
Re: Which Is Better: Auto Or Manual Golf 3? by prince0(m): 6:39pm On May 10, 2011
VW cars are not perfect with auto, if u must use auto i will advise that u either buy toyota, honda or benz cars. My audi 80 audi auto i bought almost made me crazy before i finally converted it to manual transmission.

Buy manual if u must but any car manufactured by VW. After being exhausted by my auto, so many people began to to tell that VW autos are not perfect.

1 Like

Re: Which Is Better: Auto Or Manual Golf 3? by Nobody: 8:02pm On May 10, 2011
prince0:

VW cars are not perfect with auto, if u must use auto i will advise that u either buy toyota, honda or benz cars. My audi 80 audi auto i bought almost made me crazy before i finally converted it to manual transmission.

Buy manual if u must but any car manufactured by VW. After being exhausted by my auto, so many people began to to tell that VW autos are not perfect.

I'm not an auto fan, but saying that Volkswagen / Audi with auto transmission are bad makes no sense, especially when you say it's okay to buy a Mercedes-Benz auto. The auto tranny in Audi, Volkswagen, BMW and the Mercedes-Benz that you certify as okay, are all manufactured by ZF in Germany.

Your bad experience with your Audi 80 auto isn't the fault of the car, more down to your mechanic, who gave up, and no doubt advised you to convert it to manual. The killer of most automatics is heat, and poor maintenance. The ATF needs to be replaced as a service item. Sadly, most drivers buy a car with an automatic transmission, and because the car still drives, forget it needs to be looked after. By then, the ATF has turned black, and loss of drive becomes an issue.

The same "mechanics" that can't repair an auto tranny, and advice the owners of the faulty cars to convert to manual, are the same ones that will remove a well set-up fuel injection system, and install an ancient carburettor.

The same "mechanics" that will scratch their heads when trying to trouble-shoot a V6 engine. Next thing you'll hear - "oga, V6 engine na wahala, once e spoil, no body go fit repair am. D only solution na to remove your 3.2 V6 from your Volkswagen Touareg, den I go fit 1,6L 4 plug engine with carburettor".

Nigerian mechanics are in most cases car-killers, and this breed of techs should not be allowed within 10 feet of a spanner.

2 Likes

Re: Which Is Better: Auto Or Manual Golf 3? by Fhemmmy: 8:08pm On May 10, 2011
Siena:

I'm not an auto fan, but saying that Volkswagen / Audi with auto transmission are bad makes no sense, especially when you say it's okay to buy a Mercedes-Benz auto. The auto tranny in Audi, Volkswagen, BMW and the Mercedes-Benz that you certify as okay, are all manufactured by ZF in Germany.

Your bad experience with your Audi 80 auto isn't the fault of the car, more down to your mechanic, who gave up, and no doubt advised you to convert it to manual. The killer of most automatics is heat, and poor maintenance. The ATF needs to be replaced as a service item. Sadly, most drivers buy a car with an automatic transmission, and because the car still drives, forget it needs to be looked after. By then, the ATF has turned black, and loss of drive becomes an issue.

The same "mechanics" that can't repair an auto tranny, and advice the owners of the faulty cars to convert to manual, are the same ones that will remove a well set-up fuel injection system, and install an ancient carburettor.

The same "mechanics" that will scratch their heads when trying to trouble-shoot a V6 engine. Next thing you'll hear - "oga, V6 engine na wahala, once e spoil, no body go fit repair am. D only solution na to remove your 3.2 V6 from your Volkswagen Touareg, den I go fit 1,6L 4 plug engine with carburettor".

Nigerian mechanics are in most cases car-killers, and this breed of techs should not be allowed within 10 feet of a spanner.

So sad that most people will even talk to them before buying a car and they will only advice based on their own knowledge of rides, they dont wanna upgrade what they know and they will in turn disallow people from buying something better than what they (Mechanic) know how to fix.
Re: Which Is Better: Auto Or Manual Golf 3? by Hychineson(m): 8:00am On Jul 13, 2012
badboy: Guy,do ensure that the gearbox is double-checked by an expert if you must buy the automatic version. Better still put in enough fuel and drive around for 30 Minutes. If my experience with golf 3 auto is anything to reckon with, the issues with the gearbox should start showing themselves. Try out the kickdown process too (drive normally up to 50-60km/hr then abruptly step on the gas fully and observe how the car responds). Lastly,and very importantly,do a scan before you commit. Some models have hidden scan ports. Mine was covered with a plastic,clip-like cover around the center console. You will be surprised at what you find out. Do note that chances are very high that the used auto Golf 3 is likely being sold because of a gear box issue. Wish you the best
plz wat of tokunbo auto gear?
Re: Which Is Better: Auto Or Manual Golf 3? by Wannabenz: 10:34am On Aug 24, 2020
Person wan sell Golf 3 manualto me now. Is it a good car plus how much should I price it? I need answers asap please.
Re: Which Is Better: Auto Or Manual Golf 3? by MASTAkiLLAh(m): 2:11pm On Aug 24, 2020
Wannabenz:
Person wan sell Golf 3 manualto me now. Is it a good car plus how much should I price it? I need answers asap please.
it’s normally a strong and reliable car but remote estimates can’t be given here, pricing depends on how clean and sound the vehicle is. will give you a rough estimate of what to expect though
Re: Which Is Better: Auto Or Manual Golf 3? by Wannabenz: 2:48pm On Aug 24, 2020
MASTAkiLLAh:
it’s normally a strong and reliable car but remote estimates can’t be given here, pricing depends on how clean and sound the vehicle is. will give you a rough estimate of what to expect though
What's the estimate price to price am?
Re: Which Is Better: Auto Or Manual Golf 3? by cynacob28: 6:24pm On Aug 30, 2020
Have been using a golf 3 auto for almost 6 years now and I bought it Nigeria use nothing is wrong with the gear till date I just put it on sales yesterday Bicos I want to upgrade grade to golf 4 having a bad experience with one car doesn't mean that brand is not good cars depends on maintenance
Re: Which Is Better: Auto Or Manual Golf 3? by adubam(m): 4:40pm On Sep 02, 2020
cynacob28:
Have been using a golf 3 auto for almost 6 years now and I bought it Nigeria use nothing is wrong with the gear till date I just put it on sales yesterday Bicos I want to upgrade grade to golf 4 having a bad experience with one car doesn't mean that brand is not good cars depends on maintenance

How much are you selling it?

(1) (Reply)

9 Amazing Facts About Land Rover Defender / Are 'normal Wear' Cars On Copart Legit? / 6 Ways To Save Money On Car Expenses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.