Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,436 members, 7,819,583 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:28 PM

Osinbajo, Governors, SGF Attend Emir Of Kano’s Coronation (Pictures) - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Osinbajo, Governors, SGF Attend Emir Of Kano’s Coronation (Pictures) (33293 Views)

Buhari, Osinbajo, Governors Get ₦‎651M Hardship Allowance / Buni: Osinbajo, Governors Begin Talks As Fear Grips APC / COVID-19: Fear Grips Osinbajo, Governors Over Bala Moham­med's Self-Isolation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Osinbajo, Governors, SGF Attend Emir Of Kano’s Coronation (Pictures) by Nobody: 4:18pm On Jul 04, 2021
naptu2:

It seems that, for some reason, you are more interested in a quarrel rather than a discussion.

I am not interested in a quarrel, I made some legitimate remarks, which vexed you apparently (I asked you to give credit to your source of information instead of pretending to be the said source).
Re: Osinbajo, Governors, SGF Attend Emir Of Kano’s Coronation (Pictures) by Nobody: 4:19pm On Jul 04, 2021
naptu2:
Aha! A kid who is more interested in venting emotions and quarrelling. I thought it was someone who was more interested in exchanging ideas.

Waste of time.
Weird, because earlier you called me a kid whose only knowledge is how to use google.
You are not consistent at all.
Re: Osinbajo, Governors, SGF Attend Emir Of Kano’s Coronation (Pictures) by naptu2: 4:28pm On Jul 04, 2021
That reminds me. When I was a kid I used to think of the Sardauna of Sokoto title as the Sokoto equivalent of the title of Aare Ona Kakanfo. It appeared like both titles were the second most revered titles in their domains and I also linked both of them because both Ahmadu Bello and Akintola had been killed in the 1966 coup and there had been no new occupants of the positions since then.

Interestingly Chief Abiola was made the Aare c1987 and Triple A was made the Sardauna in 1990 (just 3 years apart).

I later discovered that I was kind of right. The Aare is the generalissimo of Oyo (kind of like the chief of defence staff), while the Sardauna title means something like trusted bodyguard or lieutenant.
Re: Osinbajo, Governors, SGF Attend Emir Of Kano’s Coronation (Pictures) by naptu2: 4:32pm On Jul 04, 2021
This is from my thread about President Babangida's visit to the UK in 1989. I must now confess that what my sister said was very close to something that had always been on my mind. Triple A was immense back in the day.

naptu2:

My sister expressed surprise that the carriage did not collapse under the weight of Alhaji Abubakar Alhaji, the Nigerian minister of finance. If you know Triple A, you would know that he was a rotund man and so my sister thought that the carriage would not be able to withstand his weight.

Re: Osinbajo, Governors, SGF Attend Emir Of Kano’s Coronation (Pictures) by Nobody: 4:33pm On Jul 04, 2021
This guy is a real joker.

Ok, according to a wikipedia source (which needs mre verification because wikipedia is not reliable) "sultan" is a turkish title created by an emperor who didn't want to use the title "calif". So if this wikipedia source is right then I was right about sultan being an ottoman title.

I would like some people whom are truly knowledgeable unlike our friend naptu and whom are not as emotioannaly fragile as our friend naptu to answer my previous questions:

When did northern monarchs start copying middle-eastern titles and why ?
In the same line of questionning, why are northerners answering arabic and turkish names ?

Southerners are answering british names because the british installed that tradition in the south (they converted people to christianity and once you were baptised you were also given a british name), this practice is a cultural genocide and it should be done away with. There is nothing wrong with your african names or your ancestral religions.
Re: Osinbajo, Governors, SGF Attend Emir Of Kano’s Coronation (Pictures) by naptu2: 4:40pm On Jul 04, 2021
A small portion from my 2014 series. (I found this when I was looking for another of my posts. I hope that other post wasn't washed away by the Nairaland tsunami because it contains a lot of what I want to say).

naptu2:
14)

C) The Sultan: - You must have heard people say that the Sultan is very
powerful (he controls all northerners,  he controls the government if
Nigeria,  he controls boko haram, etc). Why do people have this perception
of the Sultan?  The answer is Sir Siddiqi Abubakar.

Sir Siddiqi was the Sultan of Sokoto from around the 1930s to late
1988/early 1989. He was probably the most powerful man in Nigeria. He was
around 101 years old when he died. The Sultans that have ruled after him
have not been half as powerful as he was.

Sir Siddiqi was the Sultan during the colonial era and he helped the
British administer Northern Nigeria.  He also helped them to rally
northerners against Hitler and the Vichy French during the Second World
War. Therefore,  he had a lot of friends and contacts in the British
Government.

He also encouraged northerners to go to school and gave them scholarships.
 These northerners became prominent politicians in the First and Second
Republics. They saw him as their mentor and father.  They almost worshipped
him.

Similarly,  he encouraged many northerners to join the army and these
northerners became top members of the military governments of Nigeria.

Sir Siddiqi was Sir Ahmadu Bello's cousin and Sir Ahmadu envied him. The
one thing that Ahmadu Bello wanted most was to be Sultan of Sokoto.

It was said that the Sultan was not happy about the coup (Shagari is from
Sokoto). The first place that Buhari visited after taking over power was
the Sultan's Palace.

Re: Osinbajo, Governors, SGF Attend Emir Of Kano’s Coronation (Pictures) by naptu2: 4:44pm On Jul 04, 2021
It looks like I might have to recreate my old post about Sir Siddiqi because I can't find it.

I will recreate it on my diary (that's where I initially created it) and then quote it and post it here.
Re: Osinbajo, Governors, SGF Attend Emir Of Kano’s Coronation (Pictures) by naptu2: 4:58pm On Jul 04, 2021
naptu2:
Sir Siddiqi Abubakar was the Sultan of Sokoto from the 1930s until 1988. My dad used to ask, "Why are they making this man suffer"? That's because he was very old. You should have seen him at the time that Buhari or Babangida visited him. He was old and infirm. He couldn't deliver a speech. He would tell someone (standing beside his throne) what he wanted to say and the person would then say it out loud for everybody to hear. He really looked very old. My dad said that they should have allowed him to rest.

Dear Diary, do you remember that I told you that we always got complimentary copies of West Africa Magazine in the 1970s and 1980s? Well, that's how I found out that Sir Siddiqi had been ruling for so long. You see, as I told you, West Africa usually had two historical pages near the end of the magazine. One page had articles from 40 or 50 years before that issue and the other had 25 year old articles. One of the 40 or 50 year old articles was about Sir Siddiqi's response to Hitler. Adolf Hitler had called on Africans to rebel against Britain and Sir Siddiqi basically replied that Africans did not need Hitler to tell them what to do. This was in the 1930s or 40s!

Anyway, Sir Siddiqi died in 1988 and everybody expected that his son, Mohammed Maccido, would be turbaned as the new Sultan, but shockingly, the government announced that Alhaji Ibrahim Dasuki, a member of the Donation Circuit, had been selected as the new Sultan. It led to massive riots in Sokoto and many people died.

However, years later, General Sani Abacha removed Dasuki and made Maccido the Sultan.
Re: Osinbajo, Governors, SGF Attend Emir Of Kano’s Coronation (Pictures) by Nobody: 5:14pm On Jul 04, 2021
One would think a person who claims to be an educated adult in our era would know how to write documents in pdf.

Re: Osinbajo, Governors, SGF Attend Emir Of Kano’s Coronation (Pictures) by naptu2: 5:18pm On Jul 04, 2021
naptu2:
Brunei, Brunei! Nobody talks about Brunei anymore.

It seemed like people couldn't stop talking about Brunei in the 1980s. The Sultan of Brunei was listed as the richest man in the world by Forbes. There were documentaries about the number of Rolls Royces that he owned and the air-condtioned stables that he built for his polo ponies. They talked about the gifts that he gave to citizens of Brunei that got married and also about his relationship with his father.

However, Forbes removed heads of state from its list in the early 1990s and Bill Gates replaced the Sultan of Brunei at the top of the list. From that point it seems as if people gradually forgot about the Sultan.

naptu2:
I deliberately did not write the names and designations of the visiting dignitaries on that thread. This was because of what I saw in 2003.

The Sultan of Brunei was one of the most famous heads of state in the 1980s. This was because he was often acclaimed as the richest person in the world. He was at number 1 on the Forbes list of wealthiest people in the world. He lost his position on the list when Forbes decided to exclude heads of state from the list. Bill Gates then became the richest man in the world.

Nigeria hosted the Commonwealth Heads Of State and Government Meeting (CHOGM) in 2003 and heads of state and government from around the world were arriving the Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport for the event. The NTA showed them as they arrived (it was a live broadcast).

The Sultan of Brunei arrived and despite the fact the "Royal Brunei" was written on the plane, the NTA commentator kept saying, "The president of Brunei has arrived". He said "the president of Brunei" 6 or 7 times before someone corrected him and he apologised and said, "The Sultan of Brunei". I was shocked. How can you not know the Sultan of Brunei??

I knew that the same thing would happen yesterday, so I decided that I would only write the names of the countries that the dignitaries are from and I would refrain from writing the names of the dignitaries or their designation.

Sure enough, TVC wrote that Venezuelan president, Nicholas Maduro had arrived, but I could clearly see that the person in the picture that they posted was not Nicholas Maduro. So, after creating the thread I had to quickly rush and find out the identity of the person. I usually do this via the Twitter handle of the embassy of the country that the dignitary is from, but the Venezuelan Embassy had not posted anything. I later found what I was looking for on the Twitter handle of the Venezuelan foreign ministry. It was the vice president.

The last picture below is a picture of Maduro.
Re: Osinbajo, Governors, SGF Attend Emir Of Kano’s Coronation (Pictures) by Sseeluvu: 5:25pm On Jul 04, 2021
This one na political Emir
A P C Emir,

I advocate for autonomy for the traditional institution,only then can they speak undiluted truth to power (executive power).
Re: Osinbajo, Governors, SGF Attend Emir Of Kano’s Coronation (Pictures) by Nobody: 5:47pm On Jul 04, 2021
Sseeluvu:
This one na political Emir
A P C Emir,

I advocate for autonomy for the traditional institution,only then can they speak undiluted truth to power (executive power).
By definition, traditional institutions are autonomous and not a branch of the postcolonial nigerian government. (I am not including crowns which were either created by the british either by the nigerian governement).
What you want is an autonomous constitutional role given to traditional institutions in the postcolonial nigerian government.
I'm in total support of this idea by the way.
Re: Osinbajo, Governors, SGF Attend Emir Of Kano’s Coronation (Pictures) by naptu2: 6:11pm On Jul 04, 2021
Extend the thread.
Re: Osinbajo, Governors, SGF Attend Emir Of Kano’s Coronation (Pictures) by Nobody: 6:21pm On Jul 04, 2021
naptu2:
Extend the thread.
stop quoting me in your monologs in a thread in which only you can post.
Re: Osinbajo, Governors, SGF Attend Emir Of Kano’s Coronation (Pictures) by naptu2: 6:22pm On Jul 04, 2021
Make it longer.
Re: Osinbajo, Governors, SGF Attend Emir Of Kano’s Coronation (Pictures) by zoedew: 9:12pm On Jul 04, 2021
iamyemiakins:
It just looks like Osinbajo isn't a part of this government, he's just on his own these days attending different public functions
Guessed it has not occurred to you that PMB is intentional about giving PYO visibility for obvious reasons! PMB could have attended in person but for that.
Re: Osinbajo, Governors, SGF Attend Emir Of Kano’s Coronation (Pictures) by AreaFada2: 10:48pm On Jul 04, 2021
ghostwon333:

I wonder when they started using arab titles such as "emir" and ottoman titles such as "sultan", indeed the title which we now refer to as "sultan of sokoto" was called "sardauna of sokoto" before the civil war.
I hate all these copy copy of other people's titles which we can also see with the "yorubas" copying of the title of the emperor of Benin empire.

People should at least preserve their ancestral titles and do away with copying other people.

From what I remember from history, Dan Fodio never used the title Sultan, he use the title Amir al Muminin (leader of the faithful). Although some called him Caliph. But he is considered the first ruler or Sultan. It was his son Mahammadu Bello who officially took the title Sultan when re became ruler in about 1817 or 1818 or thereabout.

Sardauna was not the title of the Sultan but was a high aristocratic position. Some say it means "Crown Prince". Our Northern people can enlighten us better.

As for Benin empire titles being used in Yorubaland I see nothing wrong with it. Benin titles like Ologbosere, Iyase, Obazuaye, Ezomo (called Ojomo in Yoruba nobility), Uwangue and more have been used in Yoruboid kingdoms and some Igboid kingdoms too for centuries. Of course some will argue otherwise.
Re: Osinbajo, Governors, SGF Attend Emir Of Kano’s Coronation (Pictures) by naptu2: 5:55am On Jul 07, 2021
naptu2:
grin

It's my fault. I should have realised from the beginning.

I once told a Nairalander that she should always check the profiles of people before engaging them, but I didn't follow my own advice.

The good thing is that my instincts always work. The first clue was that he was being unnecessarily aggressive and insulting. That always tells me that the person is deliberately trying to troll. The second clue was something that he posted. It reminded me of a time that I argued with him in 2013.

Go and check his profile. He registered today. The sole reason he registered is to have that encounter. grin

Obviously some people are jobless.

naptu2:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

The clown has deactivated the account that he created just to be able to engage me.

God, some people are funny!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Re: President Jonathan Accused Of Falsifying His Age / Dr. George Uboh Detained By DSS 24 Hours After Appearing On TV Sunrise Daily / Reno Omokri Reacts To Lai Mohammed N3.5m Monthly Feeding Of El-Zakzaky

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.