Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,432 members, 7,815,977 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:41 PM

Economic Hardship: Parents Shun Noodles As Prices Soar - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Economic Hardship: Parents Shun Noodles As Prices Soar (24524 Views)

Nigerians Experience Relief As Prices Of Sugar, Indomie, Others Drop / Prices Of Food Items Soar More Than 100% Since Tinubu Became President / Nigerian Families Struggle To Survive As Food Prices Soar - Al Jazeera (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Economic Hardship: Parents Shun Noodles As Prices Soar by HeatSeeker(m): 12:57pm On Mar 02
The parents said brands of noodles were becoming unaffordable, hence the need for them to look for an alternative.

Some parents in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) said on Friday that they have cut noodles from their household menu as its price continues to increase.

In separate interviews with journalists, they said their children’s favourite fast food was becoming unaffordable, hence the need for them to look for an alternative.

Hauwa Bakari, a mother and a teacher, said she used to prepare noodles for her children to take to school every Friday and to Islamic school on Sundays.

"The last carton we bought before the increase was N6,000 for Indomie noodles, and by the time I went to get the same item after two weeks, it had increased to N8,400,” she stated.

Ms Bakari, who said noodles have become a luxury for the ordinary Nigerian, said the price for the medium-sized Indomie is reportedly N18,000 while Minimie now goes for N16,000 per carton.

“I know it is one of my children’s favourite foods, but with how things are going, I cannot afford it, so they have to eat whatever is available at home,’’ she said.

Kemi Samuel, a mother of four, said she has decided to cut off noodles from her list of groceries because it now looks like a waste of resources and unnecessary.

Ms Samuel said she would buy and cook more spaghetti with enough vegetables for the family instead of using so much money on noodles that digest in no time.

She said the decision was timely since her children depended too much on noodles as they were easy to make.

Rose Yakubu, a student, however, said the high cost of noodles would not deter her from eating it.

Ms Yakubu said she liked the food, not because it was easy and fast to prepare, but because it saved her from buying other food ingredients to cook a proper meal.

“If I have to cook rice, for instance, I will have to buy oil, meat or fish, seasonings, and vegetables, which I may not have enough money for,’’ she said.

A shop owner, Shefiyu Abubakar, said that only a few people can afford noodles from his shop anymore.

He attributed this to the increase in the commodity’s price and the fact that many would prefer to buy other foodstuffs.

Mr Abubakar said the Hungryman Indomie pack is between N18,000 and N19,000 per carton, while the smallest size sells for N10,500.

These prices were far lower in January and suddenly increased because of the inflation in the country,” Mr Abubakar added.

https://gazettengr.com/economic-hardship-parents-shun-noodles-as-prices-soar/

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Economic Hardship: Parents Shun Noodles As Prices Soar by HeatSeeker(m): 12:57pm On Mar 02
Nlfpmod please move to front page.

2 Likes

Re: Economic Hardship: Parents Shun Noodles As Prices Soar by insidelife22(m): 1:01pm On Mar 02
Na under Tinubu's Tinublation I know say noodles na luxury.

152 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Economic Hardship: Parents Shun Noodles As Prices Soar by Watianoengineer(m): 1:11pm On Mar 02
No matter how hard the economy of the jungle is, a lion will never eat grass. We believe in president Tinubu's reforms and at the end of it all we shall all smile and thank God.

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Economic Hardship: Parents Shun Noodles As Prices Soar by Chrisrare: 1:11pm On Mar 02
everybody mustn't eat noodles

3 Likes

Re: Economic Hardship: Parents Shun Noodles As Prices Soar by LordIsaac(m): 1:20pm On Mar 02
Good…we ate perm kernels during our time and we are as fit as fiddle…

66 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Economic Hardship: Parents Shun Noodles As Prices Soar by chiiraq802(m): 1:39pm On Mar 02
Mk I cari 900 naira go buy 1 indomie. lols

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Economic Hardship: Parents Shun Noodles As Prices Soar by Chicagograduate(m): 1:44pm On Mar 02
we are not sacrificing to benefit in the future.Tinubu is killing us while he and his associates are feeding fat on our resources.
Buhari did the same thing by making promises upon promises.Yet,he left with 77trillion Naira debt without fulfilling one.
This is how tinubu will loot and go and install his stooges to continue where he stopped.
This kind of suffering to reap in the future is a propaganda that can result to a violent protest in Europe.

132 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Economic Hardship: Parents Shun Noodles As Prices Soar by Jennyclay(f): 1:44pm On Mar 02
Even though naira gets to #3000 per dollar I will not suffer with Nigerians undecided

No matter how costly things are I would still afford them. I went to the market today and things were very cost but I still bought all my usual ingredients without lamenting.

Thank God I voted for my baby boo Peter Obi.

124 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Economic Hardship: Parents Shun Noodles As Prices Soar by Chicagograduate(m): 1:46pm On Mar 02
Watianoengineer:
No matter how hard the economy of the jungle is, a lion will never eat grass. We believe in president Tinubu's reforms and at the end of it all we shall all smile and thank God.
This one na paid writer o.No follow am o.Na government pikin.

83 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Economic Hardship: Parents Shun Noodles As Prices Soar by Treasure17(m): 1:51pm On Mar 02
Watianoengineer:
You and who please? When you should literally be in prison cause you are an accomplice to this unfortunate government.

101 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Economic Hardship: Parents Shun Noodles As Prices Soar by GOVERNORR: 1:54pm On Mar 02
Please what is noodles again? 🤔

8 Likes

Re: Economic Hardship: Parents Shun Noodles As Prices Soar by alpharoyalty: 1:54pm On Mar 02
Very unhealthy food

21 Likes

Re: Economic Hardship: Parents Shun Noodles As Prices Soar by 9jaBloke: 1:55pm On Mar 02
cry

Every good thing comes to an end.

Goodbye indomie generation

Goodbye indomie

Gen alpha's children will be regaled with tales of you.

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Economic Hardship: Parents Shun Noodles As Prices Soar by KanuSE: 1:55pm On Mar 02
😂
Re: Economic Hardship: Parents Shun Noodles As Prices Soar by nautybride: 1:55pm On Mar 02
Before nko?
Re: Economic Hardship: Parents Shun Noodles As Prices Soar by kulikuli45: 1:56pm On Mar 02
Good
Re: Economic Hardship: Parents Shun Noodles As Prices Soar by SouthSouth1914: 1:56pm On Mar 02
Shun everything you can’t afford! Nigeria is gradually shutting down because of tribalism!

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Economic Hardship: Parents Shun Noodles As Prices Soar by Seequadry(m): 1:56pm On Mar 02
Dem no dey tell person na....indomie 400/1

Na beans I dey eat all this while 🙄....e con be like say beans of today no dey take time to done anymore 😂😂

49 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Economic Hardship: Parents Shun Noodles As Prices Soar by Maj196(m): 1:56pm On Mar 02
We go still run am as e dey hot
Re: Economic Hardship: Parents Shun Noodles As Prices Soar by salbis(m): 1:56pm On Mar 02
The uniting force for majority of Nigerians will be nothing but hunger.

28 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Economic Hardship: Parents Shun Noodles As Prices Soar by oluseyiforjesus(m): 1:56pm On Mar 02
Ok
Re: Economic Hardship: Parents Shun Noodles As Prices Soar by ecomalchemistt(m): 1:56pm On Mar 02
Poor man food don turn luxury !!!

Elections have consequences, use your head !

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Economic Hardship: Parents Shun Noodles As Prices Soar by TOPCRUISE(m): 1:57pm On Mar 02
Price of Noodles shock me last year. The new prices this very year terrify me. embarassed

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Economic Hardship: Parents Shun Noodles As Prices Soar by Sultty(m): 1:57pm On Mar 02
Watianoengineer:
I just dey pity u. U think majority of the citizens have the capacity to wait for some reforms which in a limbo

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Economic Hardship: Parents Shun Noodles As Prices Soar by LadyRosa2(f): 1:57pm On Mar 02
angry

Na kids go suffer am pass. Indomie has always been their take to school meal.

Damn! So sad

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Economic Hardship: Parents Shun Noodles As Prices Soar by naijanaso: 1:57pm On Mar 02
I just don't understand why this junk food price will be soaring like DStv price per second.
In the first place, I don't even see Indomie as a healthy food.
If Nigerians can just forget the fast nature of cooking this wormlike food for a while, the price will drop flat by force.

29 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Economic Hardship: Parents Shun Noodles As Prices Soar by Dogalmighty17: 1:57pm On Mar 02
Hmm.
Re: Economic Hardship: Parents Shun Noodles As Prices Soar by LadyRosa2(f): 1:59pm On Mar 02
naijanaso:
I just don't understand why this junk food price will be soaring like DStv price per second.
In the first place, I don't even see Indomie as a healthy food.
If Nigerians can just forget the fast nature of cooking this wormlike food for a while, the price will drop flat by force.

It's not healthy because you don't spend money to cook it. Indomie becomes healthy when you go out of your way to garnish it with veggies and protein

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Economic Hardship: Parents Shun Noodles As Prices Soar by Image123(m): 1:59pm On Mar 02
Facepalm. It seems today is noodles birthday or whatever.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Economic Hardship: Parents Shun Noodles As Prices Soar by jmoore(m): 1:59pm On Mar 02
Tinubulation.

Many kids will remember that it was in Tinubu's tenure that noodles was removed from their table.

46 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Is The Best Swallow For Oha Soup? / Operation: I Must Get Fat! / Why You Should Eat Avocados

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.