Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,813 members, 7,810,120 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:09 PM

Yoruba Nation Not The Answer - Soyinka - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba Nation Not The Answer - Soyinka (20787 Views)

"Nigeria, God Wants To Give You New Nation & Not New Politician"—Prophet Arayomi / It's Our Nation Not Our Garbage! / Gov Diri Tasks Politicians, INC Insists Ijaw Nation Not Part Of Biafra, Oduduwa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yoruba Nation Not The Answer - Soyinka by AtikuNetwork: 10:51am On Jul 06, 2021
Nobel laureate Prof Wole Soyinka has faulted calls for the formation of a Yoruba nation.

He said he preferred a united Nigeria, but under certain “rigorous conditions”.

Describing the country as a “basket case”, he said the political arrangement was not working.

In an interview with BBC Pidgin, Soyinka condemned the raid of the home of Yoruba activist, Sunday Igboho.

On secession calls, he said: “I don’t like the sound of a Yoruba nation any more than I like the sound of a Tiv nation or an Igbo nation.

“The reason is this: there are certain pejorative overtones, chauvinistic overtones attached to it. That’s not the issue.

“When you talk about a Yoruba nation, are we talking about the creation of a nation within Nigeria alone or across colonial borders into Cotonou, Benin Republic, where Yoruba exists, moving on to Togo and even Ivory Coast?

“So, when we talk about Yoruba nation, I have to know exactly what you mean. Do we even talk about the Yoruba in the Diaspora?

“So, it’s a question which is not for me to answer at this particular moment.”

Hinting at the need for restructuring, he faulted the existing revenue-sharing formula.

Soyinka said: “All I know is this: on a sentimental level, I will prefer us to mend and manage what we have, but under certain, rigorous conditions.

“The condition is decentralisation. We have to move away completely from this constitution which was imposed on us by an internal, neo-colonial force called the military.

“Now, if it had worked, if it were working, my position would have been different.

“My conditions are non-negotiable. We have to get away from the present political arrangement because they clearly are not working.

“They are creating internal overlords, they are creating a skewed, lopsided revenue-sharing system. They are robbing Peter to pay Paul.

“Right now, what we have is not a nation, but a basket-case, a real basket-case which is disintegrating all over the place, and all the contents are spilling over the basket.

“And all we are trying to do is to hold it there, grab it there, cover it there, cover that leak, and so on.

“A nation can’t continue like this. It’s obvious. And some people are more impatient than others.”

https://thenationonlineng.net/yoruba-nation-not-the-answer-says-soyinka/

44 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Yoruba Nation Not The Answer - Soyinka by Ddmase: 10:54am On Jul 06, 2021
Either of the divide, Nigeria has failed it's children. Simple!

And the leaders won't help matters with increased financial misappropriation and looting among most public office holders, which is the soul of every problem in Nigeria

Anyway, I will Design a Professional Logo or Company Letterhead for your Business for 2k Only

MY Contact Here
https://www.nairaland.com/ddmase

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yoruba Nation Not The Answer - Soyinka by Nukilia: 11:06am On Jul 06, 2021
This double-mouthed Professor should just go and sit down somewhere! Believe him at your own risk grin grin grin

Can we have our Southern Protectorate?

Let the North keep its Northern protectorate!

118 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Yoruba Nation Not The Answer - Soyinka by iKingsley(m): 11:15am On Jul 06, 2021
Nigeria will divide but into South and North.
In fact, it's started playing out

65 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Yoruba Nation Not The Answer - Soyinka by DefHQ: 11:15am On Jul 06, 2021
Liars, where in the post did he say it? Please nairalanders let's not be carried away by twisted headlines!

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yoruba Nation Not The Answer - Soyinka by ivolt: 11:23am On Jul 06, 2021
Expected.
Soyinka can see better than the emotional agitators.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Nation Not The Answer - Soyinka by festacman(m): 11:40am On Jul 06, 2021
The PIB bill once again shows that Northern politicians are HYPOCRITICAL about United Nigeria. Their selfishness and shortsightedness are crying for stiff resistance and vengeance.

30 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Yoruba Nation Not The Answer - Soyinka by chrisxxx(m): 11:44am On Jul 06, 2021
GFFG
Re: Yoruba Nation Not The Answer - Soyinka by slawormiir: 2:55pm On Jul 06, 2021
Damnnn niggarrrr
Isoright......

Exactly what have been saying

But some people call me drunkard ...

Biafra and Yoruba nation is a dream and goal that can be realized and actualized

The force holding Nigeria together is not that stupid van da waal forces

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yoruba Nation Not The Answer - Soyinka by MANNABBQGRILLS: 2:56pm On Jul 06, 2021
Seconded.
True that.

Sunday Igbo whatever..... the self proclaimed PDP loser on the run.
Everyone being paid and sponsored by all these pained corrupt looting politicians to cause violence and deaths in this nation will never end well in this nation.
Brutal deaths awaits them all for all the innocent lives being lost by their act.

NB : If you want your mother to cry on your corpse just like our relative Miracle Nwobodo's mother and the mothers of the 10 innocent girls that Cownu commanded to be murdered and butchered mothers cried and are still crying till today,
Quote this quote to type rubbish.
And surely, your mothers will cry on your evil and wicked corpse in few days to come.
Supporters of evil, wickedness and deaths everywhere.
Animalistic swines)

IPIGSRMUMUS:

Since he didn't sound like your terrorist caged dilector, Namdiot coward Cownu you won't agree with him.

He wasn't looking for your support anyway. He could care less what you and your think.
Irrelevant and inconsequential.
GBAMSOLUTELY!!

omenka:
Igbos are schizophrenic oafs honestly!!

See them insulting the old man all over the place, the same man whose balls they were licking just hours ago having said he didnt like the manner Kanu was extradited to Nigeria.

You see, Yorubas take note of these people. The same people you see supporting Igboho were the same people that encouraged EndSars protests in Lagos. Since they failed in their quest to bring the west to her knees through EndSars, they're back in the trenches trying to achieve the same goal by encouraging Igboho.

Seunmsg, Sarrki, et al, ask your people to wake up o.
This belongs to the first page.
This is Nothing but the truth!

12 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Yoruba Nation Not The Answer - Soyinka by Sunnybay7: 2:56pm On Jul 06, 2021
All I know is this: on a sentimental level, I will prefer us to mend and manage what we have, but under certain, rigorous conditions.

How can you mend under a very greedy North, the North want it all power,oil,security,nass you just name it.

16 Likes

Re: Yoruba Nation Not The Answer - Soyinka by MANNABBQGRILLS: 2:56pm On Jul 06, 2021
If You are a fake Yoruba here following all sane members posts on NL 24/7,
and you rejoice when we all blast Nnamdi Cownu the murderer and fool alongside his IPOB group,
but you attack us when we blast Sunday Igboho and his PDP sponsored Oduduwa group.

We just want to tell you that you are MAD.
No cap!

If you want to be unfortunate in life and you want your mothers to cry like the mothers of the innocent lives lost to this criminals cum terrorists,
Quote this post to say rubbish....

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Yoruba Nation Not The Answer - Soyinka by yourgistpartner: 2:56pm On Jul 06, 2021
Your opinion sha. The Yoruba nation will come to actualisation whether you agree with it or not

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yoruba Nation Not The Answer - Soyinka by BIGDADDY000(m): 2:56pm On Jul 06, 2021
ELENU MEJI! BABA IS ALWAYS JUST LIKE CHAMELEON

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Nation Not The Answer - Soyinka by Bar1941(m): 2:56pm On Jul 06, 2021
You are entitled to your opinion sir but it is what we want. Nigeria based on it multilingual nature will always be difficult to manage not to talk of when their is corruption and lack of trusts among the cultural entities that constitute the country.

Every regions especially the southern ones are being constrained in this unproductive union, let everyone go their separate ways, I am sure this will lead to maximization of potentials.

I doubt if that foool that grills dead animal will ever get sense, from the day DSS unlawfully invaded Mr Sunday Igboho's house, the eediot posted nothing again except the thrash he put above. No wonder the retàrd always refer to the mannequin in Asorock as his darling daddy even when his wife and biological children failed to refer to him as one due to his cluelessness and terroristic nature.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Nation Not The Answer - Soyinka by gender123: 2:56pm On Jul 06, 2021
grin
Re: Yoruba Nation Not The Answer - Soyinka by Nobody: 2:56pm On Jul 06, 2021
is soyinka also mad?

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Nation Not The Answer - Soyinka by Handsum64: 2:56pm On Jul 06, 2021
This old man should go and rest

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Nation Not The Answer - Soyinka by Nobody: 2:56pm On Jul 06, 2021
Lmao

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Nation Not The Answer - Soyinka by Eriggs: 2:57pm On Jul 06, 2021
Yes o
Re: Yoruba Nation Not The Answer - Soyinka by ArmaniUhuru: 2:57pm On Jul 06, 2021
It’s only a matter of time, The south will be separated from the parasitic north.
The fruitful South will be separated from the barren north. 1000 Wole Soyinka cannot stop it.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yoruba Nation Not The Answer - Soyinka by BanevsJoker(m): 2:57pm On Jul 06, 2021
Dis guy mumu na everlasting.
Re: Yoruba Nation Not The Answer - Soyinka by Eriggs: 2:57pm On Jul 06, 2021
Bodmum:
is soyinka also mad?
Ur people at home u mean?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yoruba Nation Not The Answer - Soyinka by 9jaBloke: 2:57pm On Jul 06, 2021
smiley
Re: Yoruba Nation Not The Answer - Soyinka by SEGLIZ: 2:57pm On Jul 06, 2021
this men ain't our solution even if what he said is the truth.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Nation Not The Answer - Soyinka by Nwaezeudo: 2:57pm On Jul 06, 2021
The United Nigeria ain't working Sir. It's structured to favour those pulling the country backward on daily basis.

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Nation Not The Answer - Soyinka by dmbb: 2:57pm On Jul 06, 2021
PDP and Ipob terrorists members will never agree with you sir

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Nation Not The Answer - Soyinka by ArmaniUhuru: 2:57pm On Jul 06, 2021
Handsum64:
This old man should go and rest

Where he dey go nai short! He know say he no go enjoy the new nation.
Re: Yoruba Nation Not The Answer - Soyinka by Nobody: 2:57pm On Jul 06, 2021
Get lost

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Peter Obi: I’ve Never Received Any Pension Since I Left Office 8 Years Ago / Kano State Government Constructs Fountain On Site Of Demolished Monument. / President Kagame Attends Nigerian Governors' Leadership Retreat In Kigali

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.