Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,279 members, 7,836,246 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:31 AM

Available Power Generation Capacity Plunges By 3,000MW To 6,000MW – Gencos - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Available Power Generation Capacity Plunges By 3,000MW To 6,000MW – Gencos (9113 Views)

Despite ₦‎2.8 Trillion Subsidy, Power Averages 3,000MW In 10 Years / Nigeria Will Remain In Darkness Except FG Pays Our N1.6trn – GENCOS / Gas Shortage: Blackout Looms Nationwide As Gencos Cut Generation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Available Power Generation Capacity Plunges By 3,000MW To 6,000MW – Gencos by IMAliyu(m): 9:54am On Jul 08, 2021
Decentralize the National grid
Remove the TCN government middle men, and allow the Generation companies to sell directly to the Distribution companies.

The Distribution companies, should be mandated to provide prepaid meters to every household and consumer.

Re: Available Power Generation Capacity Plunges By 3,000MW To 6,000MW – Gencos by EmmaLege: 9:55am On Jul 08, 2021
koshi undecided undecided undecided
Re: Available Power Generation Capacity Plunges By 3,000MW To 6,000MW – Gencos by Ttalk: 9:57am On Jul 08, 2021
Reference:
'....On their part, the distributors had argued that TCN was dropping electricity load in locations where it was tough for Discos to recoup their tariffs, as residents in such areas found it difficult to pay their electricity bills....'

'....There are 124 power generation companies, majorly thermals – firms that use gas, that are just watching on the sideline, watching when the market gets serious before coming in,” Ogaji stated.

She added, “Their licences, a cumulative and aggregated number, will give us another 30,000MW if they were actively involved....'

This is just the summary of Nigeria's power challenges and by extension our developmental outlook.
Nigerians are just too poor to trigger the productivity that will in turn unshackle her from the barrel of this mono economy.
When folks always proclaim this popular error saying, '...just give us stable power and Nigeria(ns) will prosper...', I have always laughed at the lie.
It is just like saying the reason why I have not prospered is because I do not have a sponsor or venture capital.

The truth is that productivity or creativity attracts empowerment anywhere, any day. An economy that is potentially productive will attract power investment and will attract energy infrastructure.

The reasons why we are stuck in this vicious cycle has more to do with the structure of the Nigerian economy that is NOT focused on productivity but is rent seeking, mercantile and a contractors paradise. People who really make things that are key to productivity will absorb the cost of that productivity without issues.

The bulk of Nigerians on the other hand simply are not productive enough to make use of more than 4,000 megawatts, Period.

What sort of myopic talk is this, if Nigerians are not productive enough why are they sending humongous amount on generator and diesel. They spent huge money investing in renewable energy at home and in office and you are saying they are not productive, if you have been unproductive and don't know what to do with stable electricity, millions of Nigerians do know.

7 Likes

Re: Available Power Generation Capacity Plunges By 3,000MW To 6,000MW – Gencos by McLizbae: 9:58am On Jul 08, 2021
Gunboysavage:
Damnn niqqa! First to comment grin . heading to Zenith bank Plc!

But Wait oooo lipsrsealed , How many of you understand the fact that other foreign countries believe the way Buhari speaks(his accent) is the same way every other Nigerian speaks..?

Iz datz zi truth grin grin
Re: Available Power Generation Capacity Plunges By 3,000MW To 6,000MW – Gencos by Obrigardo: 10:01am On Jul 08, 2021
Shame of a country. Still battling with 6,000 MW. Shame.

1 Like

Re: Available Power Generation Capacity Plunges By 3,000MW To 6,000MW – Gencos by MadamExcellency: 10:01am On Jul 08, 2021
Not to worry. The same way GSM Telecoms killed NITEL, Solar power will soon kill NEPA or whatever name they are called now.

Cost of Solar Power is coming down drastically, as we await Elon Musk high capacity batteries, the game changer is here with us considering the amount of sunlight available to us in Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Available Power Generation Capacity Plunges By 3,000MW To 6,000MW – Gencos by Reference(m): 10:01am On Jul 08, 2021
Ttalk:

What sort of myopic talk is this, if Nigerians are not productive enough why are they sending humongous amount on generator and diesel. They spent huge money investing in renewable energy at home and in office and you are saying they are not productive, if you have been unproductive and don't know what to do with stable electricity, millions of Nigerians do know.

So if they can afford generators why can't they afford electricity bills. Does this make sense to you.
A lot of load shedding is because people are not paying bills and a lot of power is stolen.
That is the reality.
Power is not evenly distributed across the nation. It is assuming locations of affordability just like what happened with the GSM network.
30k MW is left un-invested because THERE IS NO MARKET.

Go to your local DISCO and demand a dedicated line or transformer with assurances of regular payment and they will rush you. They are looking for money, they have the electricity if you can pay. That is the truth.
With the exception of systems collapses there are places in Nigeria today that have almost 24hrs power steady. But they are not a reflection of the overall economy and are not enough to sustain or spur the energy industry.

2 Likes

Re: Available Power Generation Capacity Plunges By 3,000MW To 6,000MW – Gencos by edimalo(m): 10:06am On Jul 08, 2021
poiZon:
Please where can i make complaints concerning over estimated billings by phed?
Would have used Twitter but with the ban, don't know which other medium i can use to vent my anger.
Lasy month they gave us bill of 26k for a single room apartment.. Actually the entire compound is a 3bedroom flat, only one room is being occupied. There is a metre in the compound, postpaid metre but they don't want to read it. Yesterday they brought bill of 57k..
What sort of wickedness is this...
For a room we r occupying...
I heard they have stopped issuing prepaid metre im the state, Rivers state.
Please i need help on how to go about this..

you can read about my experience on the thread below and how I was able to solve it.
https://www.nairaland.com/6516871/ikedc-fradulent-overbilling-scam-activities/3
Re: Available Power Generation Capacity Plunges By 3,000MW To 6,000MW – Gencos by SANDAT(m): 10:08am On Jul 08, 2021
Sometimes I wonder why organised labour kept rejecting appropriate pricing in the electricity sector.
Re: Available Power Generation Capacity Plunges By 3,000MW To 6,000MW – Gencos by Omooba77: 10:09am On Jul 08, 2021
Ttalk:

Nigeria is a funny country, so many things are not fitting the box.
Re: Available Power Generation Capacity Plunges By 3,000MW To 6,000MW – Gencos by Omooba77: 10:14am On Jul 08, 2021
SANDAT:
Sometimes I wonder why organised labour kept rejecting appropriate pricing in the electricity sector.

Gencos are not sincere, fraud is allover the place. Imagine people on estimated billings, how many units will a two bedroom flat without A/C and they give you N75,000 per month. Think about it. Give everybody prepaid meters, they will not because of people that get money collecting reconnection fees.
Re: Available Power Generation Capacity Plunges By 3,000MW To 6,000MW – Gencos by Omooba77: 10:22am On Jul 08, 2021
poiZon:
Please where can i make complaints concerning over estimated billings by phed?
Would have used Twitter but with the ban, don't know which other medium i can use to vent my anger.
Lasy month they gave us bill of 26k for a single room apartment.. Actually the entire compound is a 3bedroom flat, only one room is being occupied. There is a metre in the compound, postpaid metre but they don't want to read it. Yesterday they brought bill of 57k..
What sort of wickedness is this...
For a room we r occupying...
I heard they have stopped issuing prepaid metre im the state, Rivers state.
Please i need help on how to go about this..
Send mails to those emails, dont relent until your problem is resolved. Scan all the bills to them, ask for prepaid meter.
info@phed.com.ng
info@nercng.org
Re: Available Power Generation Capacity Plunges By 3,000MW To 6,000MW – Gencos by LightUpWithKemi: 10:23am On Jul 08, 2021
So tragic that we are still on the back and forth.

In other news, check my siggy for interesting videos and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Merci!
Re: Available Power Generation Capacity Plunges By 3,000MW To 6,000MW – Gencos by IMAliyu(m): 10:28am On Jul 08, 2021
Reference:

Two out of three prepaid meters I have information on are bypassed despite DISCOS random checks. People are stealing electricity on a massive scale. Forget that thing. Poverty breeds crime.
Recently our neighbor's house and our's went about 3 weeks with no electricity, because of some damage to the power line.
Through the process of repairs, the Disco found out that the neighbors had bypassed their meter.
The thing is, this people are not poor, it's a big fancy house and they can more than afford to pay for their bills,

4 Likes

Re: Available Power Generation Capacity Plunges By 3,000MW To 6,000MW – Gencos by dominique(f): 10:36am On Jul 08, 2021
Is that why they want to use overbilling to kill us?
Re: Available Power Generation Capacity Plunges By 3,000MW To 6,000MW – Gencos by TrueNigerian300: 10:41am On Jul 08, 2021
The day black people realise that they have problem as people that is the day solutions to their problems will start manifesting. Please can someone tell me how can a nation of over 200 millions people be struggling with power capacity of less than 10000MW. Are we cursed or something?

Haha....but I have tried to figure out what the problem could be and I can still factor out what it is. Now the foolish national assembly wants to pass a foolish bill that will grant a particular region a percentage of oil's revenue that will be used to find another oil well, while power which is first thing any wise nation will not joke with is neglected.No nigerian is talking about the useless bill.

Black people use your brain.

3 Likes

Re: Available Power Generation Capacity Plunges By 3,000MW To 6,000MW – Gencos by IMAliyu(m): 10:41am On Jul 08, 2021
Omooba77:

Gencos are not sincere, fraud is allover the place. Imagine people on estimated billings, how many units will a two bedroom flat without A/C and they give you N75,000 per month. Think about it. Give everybody prepaid meters, they will not because of people that get money collecting reconnection fees.
We use a meter, in a 4 bedroom house, with borehole and AC.
With conservative usage, we only buy between 25-30k worth of units per month.

During the heat season when it's necessary to on AC, our consumption doubles to about 50-60k worth of units per month.

We had to pressure them a few years ago to install the meter, because of their nonsense estimations.

1 Like

Re: Available Power Generation Capacity Plunges By 3,000MW To 6,000MW – Gencos by Emifa360(m): 10:45am On Jul 08, 2021
So what are we to do? If they don't want to utilise it then find other avenues to reach the end users. We can't be held ransome because some offices don't feel the need to play their role.
Re: Available Power Generation Capacity Plunges By 3,000MW To 6,000MW – Gencos by tidoabdul(m): 10:48am On Jul 08, 2021
Lol,it always happen during raining season
Re: Available Power Generation Capacity Plunges By 3,000MW To 6,000MW – Gencos by Charly68: 10:53am On Jul 08, 2021
since how many years ?
Re: Available Power Generation Capacity Plunges By 3,000MW To 6,000MW – Gencos by Skillsnigeria: 11:07am On Jul 08, 2021
Thank God, I now generate my own electricity
Re: Available Power Generation Capacity Plunges By 3,000MW To 6,000MW – Gencos by Theunbothered: 12:05pm On Jul 08, 2021
Does anything work in this stupid country?
Re: Available Power Generation Capacity Plunges By 3,000MW To 6,000MW – Gencos by Omooba77: 12:06pm On Jul 08, 2021
IMAliyu:

We use a meter, in a 4 bedroom house, with borehole and AC.
With conservative usage, we only buy between 25-30k worth of units per month.

During the heat season when it's necessary to on AC, our consumption doubles to about 50-60k worth of units per month.

We had to pressure them a few years ago to install the meter, because of their nonsense estimations.

Prepaid meter is the way out. Imagine even when there is no light for 3 weeks, the bill will be more for last month when it was on 2 weeks.
The people are just milking us.
Re: Available Power Generation Capacity Plunges By 3,000MW To 6,000MW – Gencos by Theunbothered: 12:12pm On Jul 08, 2021
Reference:

So if they can afford generators why can't they afford electricity bills. Does this make sense to you.
A lot of load shedding is because people are not paying bills and a lot of power is stolen.
That is the reality.
Power is not evenly distributed across the nation. It is assuming locations of affordability just like what happened with the GSM network.
30k MW is left un-invested because THERE IS NO MARKET.

Go to your local DISCO and demand a dedicated line or transformer with assurances of regular payment and they will rush you. They are looking for money, they have the electricity if you can pay. That is the truth.
With the exception of systems collapses there are places in Nigeria today that have almost 24hrs power steady. But they are not a reflection of the overall economy and are not enough to sustain or spur the energy industry.

Aside from GRAs where in Nigeria has 24/7 light? grin

What clownery is this?

Even government hospitals in high brow areas don't have constant light, they are always on generators. Even courts don't have constant light, always on generators.

The kind of rubbish that is spewed on this forum is astounding.
Re: Available Power Generation Capacity Plunges By 3,000MW To 6,000MW – Gencos by COMPAQ(m): 12:36pm On Jul 08, 2021
omohayek:

In other words, the real problem here is the unwillingness of the Nigerian government to allow power companies to charge realistic tariffs that will justify their investments. Only in a basketcase like Nigeria does the fact that price controls cause shortages come across as rocket-science.

As far as I'm aware the current N57 per kwh is not a bad tarrif. At N500/$, that's about $0.114 (11.4 cents) per kwh, which is about what I pay in Houston, though admittedly it can be as high as 28cents in other states. The other main challenge is getting users to pay. And not just individuals, but also government parastatals and agencies, that would like to use and not pay like Police and Army.

https://www.electricchoice.com/electricity-prices-by-state/

Nigerians like to make noise about 24hr power, but the truth is that 80+% can't pay the bills associated with 24hr power, cos it would mean you fridge and freezer are on always, except one now has to start doing on and off schedule for fridge and freezer to manage cost, but then what would be the point of having it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Available Power Generation Capacity Plunges By 3,000MW To 6,000MW – Gencos by Martini101(m): 12:38pm On Jul 08, 2021
May our mouth not put us in trouble. Power is not rocket science as any serious government can provide steady power supply in 6months. Oga Fashola this is your 6years oh!!!!!!�
Re: Available Power Generation Capacity Plunges By 3,000MW To 6,000MW – Gencos by omohayek: 3:41pm On Jul 08, 2021
COMPAQ:

As far as I'm aware the current N57 per kwh is not a bad tarrif. At N500/$, that's about $0.114 (11.4 cents) per kwh, which is about what I pay in Houston, though admittedly it can be as high as 28cents in other states. The other main challenge is getting users to pay. And not just individuals, but also government parastatals and agencies, that would like to use and not pay like Police and Army.
The highlighted part above gets at the heart of the issue - even if Nigerian DISCOs wanted to charge the sorts of rates you're getting in Houston, the extremely high rates of non-payment (especially by government organs) means they'd be still be losing money unless they could hike prices for that portion of their customer base that is actually willing to pay what is owed.

The corruption, slowness and general dysfunction of Nigeria's court system also makes it a tremendous pain to attempt to prosecute deadbeats, and the lack of a developed credit system also means you can't punish the retail non-payers by getting their credit downgraded (as for parastatals and the like, forget about it). In the USA and other developed countries, failing to pay one's bills would lead to quickly being cut off, a note sent to Equifax and the like, and the debt then sold off to debt-collection agencies that would hound the debtors until kingdom come. In Nigeria debtors know there's essentially nothing can be done to them, not even having their power cut off, as they can just band together and beat senseless any power-company staff who try to shut them out, safe in the knowledge that Nigeria's useless policemen won't lift a finger unless there are bribes to be had.

2 Likes

Re: Available Power Generation Capacity Plunges By 3,000MW To 6,000MW – Gencos by Litmus: 3:46pm On Jul 08, 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvlolmFX-rc

Tesla Battery Farms Will Destroy Utility Grids

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=956TcLurFy4

World's biggest battery developed by Elon Musk's car firm Tesla is powering 30,000 homes in Australia and has saved residents $116 MILLION in energy costs over two years

Elon Musk bet that if they didn't deliver the battery in 100 days it would be free
They delivered it within 70 days and it has saved an estimated $116 million AUD
It also reduced the cost of operating the once shaky power grid by 91 per cent

Elon Musk owned Tesla installed a battery farm in South Australia in 2017 and has since helped residents save $116 million in energy costs, Bloomberg reports.

The company installed the world's biggest lithium-ion batter to help reduce the risk of blackouts as the country moved to renewable power generation.

Operating via the Hornsdale Power Reserve, it has helped to restore stability to the network and lower the costs of running the power grid, according to reports.

The decision to install the battery came after a Twitter 'bet' between Musk Australian software billionaire Mike Cannon-Brookes where Musk promised he could build the battery 'in 100 days or its free'.

Two years on and the battery farm has slashed the costs required to regulate the South Australian grid by about 90 per cent, Bloomberg claims.

Tesla won a bid in July to build a 129 megawatt hour (MWh) battery and had it ready by the start of the southern summer in December 2018

Operating via the Hornsdale Power Reserve, it has helped to restore stability to the network and lower the costs of running the power grid, according to reports.

The 129 megawatt system installed by Tesla offers a way to tackle the variable power generated by wind and solar generators - it stores up the energy until it is needed and distributes it through the grid during lower generation periods.

They smooth out the power flows that can threaten the stability of a network made up primarily of renewable sources of energy.

This is what was happening in Australia until the Tesla battery was installed - but since then it has helped respond to those issues quickly.

The battery was built at a wind farm operated by France's Neoen that is located about 225 km (141 miles) from the South Australian capital of Adelaide and will supply power to the lithium-ion storage cells.

It was installed near Jamestown, in South Australia's mid-north.

A state-wide blackout in 2017 was blamed by opponents of renewable energy on the rush to embrace wind and solar power - this led to the Musk bet on Twitter.

'The grid has a heartbeat that needs to be regulated,' Garth Heron told Bloomberg.

He is the head of development for Neoen - the company behind the grid in South Australia and said 'there will be a faster battery roll-out than most people expect.

'They really are able to solve a multitude of problems.'

The battery has been designed to help cover temporary dips in wind power, say for 15 minutes, or help control frequency on the grid at times when natural gas-fired plants are unable to help balance generation and power demand.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-8082841/Elon-Musks-Tesla-battery-farm-saved-South-Australia-116-MILLION.html

1 Like

Re: Available Power Generation Capacity Plunges By 3,000MW To 6,000MW – Gencos by meobizy(f): 4:23pm On Jul 08, 2021
All I see are numbers. Someone should translate it properly; does it mean heat and mosquitoes will frustrate me for four nights straight or a month?
Re: Available Power Generation Capacity Plunges By 3,000MW To 6,000MW – Gencos by Olaprenuer(m): 7:52pm On Jul 08, 2021
Starting a bakery/confectionery business that will not only survive but flourish in Nigeria IS NOT EASY some people LOVE to fool others with UNREALISTIC theories...you ends up facing the RISK in REALITY ALONE....GET THE SECRETS TO SURVIVAL...FREE TO ASK QUESTIONS ON HOW TO START WITH YOUR BUDGET and gradually get to the TOP without REGRETS....been there....been HURTS...I CAN BOLDLY SAY....I HAVE LEARNT...ALL ROUND..feel free to ask questions here, on my facebook page Olaskino or whats app 2348123055660...WHY SHOULD I KEEP THIS SECRET at a time like THIS?..its TOUGH OUT THERE....youths needs to RISE!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

PDP Initiates Reconciliatory Steps To Reclaim South-East / Boko Haram: JTF Killed Innocent People And Not Our Members / Buhari Says FG Determined To Reduce Nation’s Food Import Bill

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.