Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,793 members, 7,817,286 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:32 AM

Which Is Best, Architecture Or Civil Engineering - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Which Is Best, Architecture Or Civil Engineering (24898 Views)

What Should I Go For, HND In Architecture Or 4 Month Intensive Coding/programmin / Where Can I Gain Experience In Civil Engineering / Which Is Better, Pharmacy Or Civil Engineering? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Is Best, Architecture Or Civil Engineering by Baselm: 10:52pm On Jul 08, 2021
Legendaryd:

Uncle..haba see how u dey spew rubbish...see as you get confidence for the rubbish wey u dey talk... nawah oo

Really?? Enlighten me please.
Re: Which Is Best, Architecture Or Civil Engineering by Emyben(m): 10:57pm On Jul 08, 2021
brandsoncharlie:

In civil engineering they're sub fields like structural engineering that only pertains to structural analysis and drawings which is a branch of civil engineering.
In building drawings there's construction engineering which is under civil engineering design building like residential buildings, skyscrapers and others, before engaging in building drawings you must meet certain requirements and standards from professional bodies ABET(accreditation board for engineering and technology) which requires you to obtain a training in programs such as auto card civil 3D softwares, advanced softwares such as REVIT, ETABs, STAAD etc.
Please chill, architecture still has a long way to be compared.

Bros, you need to chilll. Architecture is on a league of its own. Same with Civil Engjneering. You are the one comparing.

Secondly, stop quoting all these stuffs you are quoting, they are all nonsenses! The softwares you mentioned are needed for the structural engineer to do his structural drawings and designs and not to engage in Architectural drawings and designs. After all, Architects are taught basics of structural drawings, some even go ahead to learn Some structural softwares. Does that make them professionals? NO.
Stop spewing ignorance. It’s not healthy sir.

Thirdly, there is only a body in Nigeria mandated by Law to license Engineers and that body is COREN. ABET mandating you to learn softwares is for you to master your profession and not to practice architecture. If you do otherwise, you are a Quack and will be prosecuted if found wanting.

Stop arguing with emotion.

2 Likes

Re: Which Is Best, Architecture Or Civil Engineering by Oggolden001(m): 10:57pm On Jul 08, 2021
brandsoncharlie:

In civil engineering they're sub fields like structural engineering that only pertains to structural analysis and drawings which is a branch of civil engineering.
In building drawings there's construction engineering which is under civil engineering design building like residential buildings, skyscrapers and others, before engaging in building drawings you must meet certain requirements and standards from professional bodies ABET(accreditation board for engineering and technology) which requires you to obtain a training in programs such as auto card civil 3D softwares, advanced softwares such as REVIT, ETABs, STAAD etc.
Please chill, architecture still has a long way to be compared.
please sir i really need a break down to all of this. Are you saying a civil eng can design any structure? Nd again i knw u're experienced pls, is civil engineering maths really hard? Like HARD. Becuz i'm an average maths student who can cope wit phys nd chem. Pls advice

1 Like

Re: Which Is Best, Architecture Or Civil Engineering by Tyg3rFvry: 10:58pm On Jul 08, 2021
Between Pharmacy and MBBs which should I study.

I can endure stress... But I don't want what I will look back on someday and say "damn, I wasted all those years". I want to earn every income worth every stress and hardwork I input. Please advice me guys!!!

Pls I don't want all those who will flood the thread with "passion talk" coz I have passion for anything that'll enable me to solve problems... The sole reason I ain't going for Engineering is because I can't rely on employer or connections in Nigeria.

And also I don't want all those "study MBBS and leave Nigeria" folks. Leaving Nigeria no be by teeth, people full Yankee wey de compete for MBBS spot and also MDs competing for residency spot in Yankee + going there costs so damn much with heavy Competition.

Anyways I'll love to know which to opt for in Nigeria that will practically secure my future for all the hard work I'll put in.

P.S: this isn't bout money! I don't need school to make money. The internet is a GOLD MINE.
Re: Which Is Best, Architecture Or Civil Engineering by Baselm: 11:02pm On Jul 08, 2021
Oggolden001:
A degree in architecture nd that in civil engineering which is more sustainable in the nigerian society? Please i need advice bcuz i'm finding it hard to choose btw this two. Heres me like, i b average maths student wey like to draw alot especially building related drawings/environmental drawings too. Heres my jamb subj comb, maths, physics, chem nd english. Please advice from experience persons in the field will be veryly appreciated. (if there is any word as such)

If you are average in mathematics, especially Further mathematics, save yourself the stress and go for architecture. Both are nice courses, I had this same dilemma some 12 years ago, I chose civil and I never regretted it. I also have architect friends who are doing well.
If you are strong in further mathematics and physics, go for civil engineering.

1 Like

Re: Which Is Best, Architecture Or Civil Engineering by Emyben(m): 11:03pm On Jul 08, 2021
Oggolden001:
please sir i really need a break down to all of this. Are you saying a civil eng can design any structure? Nd again i knw u're experienced pls, is civil engineering maths really hard? Like HARD. Becuz i'm an average maths student who can cope wit phys nd chem. Pls advice

A civil engineer can only produce the structural drawings of an architectural design made by the architect.
The two professions goes hand in hand.
There are many fields in engineering however that doesn’t involve the architect at all.

Also, there are many fields in Architecture that doesn’t involve the structural engineer at all.
However, when they both meet, the Civil engineer works only with the design of the architect.

Do not listen to people who will tell you that the Civil engineer can do the Architects works or that the Architect can do the Civil engineer works.
They are misleading you.
It’s a blatant falsehood that will lend you in trouble in an organized society.

Pick the course that suits your skills and your knowledge of subjects. You have had amazing advices above. Listen to them and leave the ones encouraging Quackery.
I like to advice people to do things legally.

2 Likes

Re: Which Is Best, Architecture Or Civil Engineering by badbreathcure101: 11:04pm On Jul 08, 2021
Emyben:

That is quackery. Stop encouraging quackery.
But then in Nigeria, everyone can do everything tho.
An architect in many instances with the use of some structural softwares and little coaching can do the structural drawing for his designs. So, that cancels your idea about a civil Engr doing an architects work.

Everyone can do everything but that is QUACKERY AND ILLEGAL!
lies. No architect can do structural drawing. Coz u did a bit of strength of materials doesn't mean u know jack shit about structures. U know the frightening thing about YouTube,there are millions of tutorials about architectural design and concepts development but i have searched and researched not a straight tutorial about structures, maybe YouTube takes them down idk but an architect dares structures without an engineers guardians is a catastrophe waiting to happen.
Lets not even go into analysis can an architect develope a workable GA, if yes then a sane architecture won't generate a design with some ridiculous cantilevers in the name of creativity.

The most important part is loadings and acting forces determination, u think those half baked softwares that gives you Y12 @ 250mm are correct abi? Okay go ahead and implement.

1 Like

Re: Which Is Best, Architecture Or Civil Engineering by Oggolden001(m): 11:06pm On Jul 08, 2021
Baselm:

If you are average in mathematics, especially Further mathematics, save yourself the stress and go for architecture. Both are nice courses, I had this same dilemma some 12 years ago, I chose civil and I never regretted it. I also have architect friends who are doing well.
If you are strong in further mathematics and physics, go for civil engineering.
thank you sir. Hope my subject combination is correct for architecture? Maths, phys, chem nd english
Re: Which Is Best, Architecture Or Civil Engineering by KKLord3(m): 11:06pm On Jul 08, 2021
Please forget about Architecture.
Go for civil but most important is the class of result you graduate with.

You have better chances will civil. I work in the oil and gas sector and know the value of engineering.

Electrical or mechanical would have been the best if you ask me.
All the best.

1 Like

Re: Which Is Best, Architecture Or Civil Engineering by Richardjcooper(m): 11:07pm On Jul 08, 2021
DEADALIVE:

Oga once you are a project manager it does not mean what your discipline is....Anybody can be the head regardless of what profession you study....Its all about business and profit making for the organization.

I said standard practice. Please always read in context
Re: Which Is Best, Architecture Or Civil Engineering by brandsoncharlie: 11:08pm On Jul 08, 2021
Oggolden001:
A Civil Engineer can design any structure depending on what you want to design especially the subfield you specialize on.
They are many of them, you have to choose wisely depending on your strength, because as you climb the ladder it gets tougher especially in calculations and how to analyze in other to avoid errors.
If you are average in mathematics, physics and chemistry I will advise you go for architecture.

1 Like

Re: Which Is Best, Architecture Or Civil Engineering by Emyben(m): 11:10pm On Jul 08, 2021
badbreathcure101:
lies. No architect can do structural drawing. Coz u did a bit of strength of materials doesn't mean u know jack shit about structures. U know the frightening thing about YouTube,there are millions of tutorials about architectural design and concepts development but i have searched and researched not a straight tutorial about structures, maybe YouTube takes them down idk but an architect dares structures without an engineers guardians is a catastrophe waiting to happen.
Lets not even go into analysis can an architect develope a workable GA, if yes then a sane architecture won't generate a design with some ridiculous cantilevers in the name of creativity.

The most important part is loadings and acting forces determination, u think those half baked softwares that gives you Y12 @ 250mm are correct abi? Okay go ahead and implement.

It’s a big lie on your part too to assume that a civil engineer can do architectural designs.
You think I’m talking about 2 bedroom bungalow here?
Aren’t you agreeing with me when I say that both are not professionals when it comes to the field of the others?
Can a Civil engineer design a massive architectural design? An airport? A stadium? An Opera? And other massive masterpieces?
Dare a civil engineer to come up with a buildable masterpiece. Isn’t it a disaster waiting to happen? The law won’t even allow it just as the law won’t allow the architect undertake a structural design.

You talk about ridiculous cantilevers? Why are you scared of challenges?
I have a lot of big time Nigerian Civil engineers most of them based abroad who love and live challenges. They have the biggest paid for-softwares costing millions and are ready to take on challenges like their counterparts in developed countries. You only need to improve yourself.

You don’t sit in your living room, do an architectural plan of a non functional 1 bedroom bungalow and assume that you have arrived.
And yes, the Architect can do structural drawing for little structures but that doesn’t make him a professional same a civil engineer that can designs 2 bedroom bungalow.

3 Likes

Re: Which Is Best, Architecture Or Civil Engineering by Oggolden001(m): 11:11pm On Jul 08, 2021
Emyben:

A civil engineer can only produce the structural drawings of an architectural design made by the architect.
The two professions goes hand in hand.
There are many fields in engineering however that doesn’t involve the architect at all.

Also, there are many fields in Architecture that doesn’t involve the structural engineer at all.
However, when they both meet, the Civil engineer works only with the design of the architect.

Do not listen to people who will tell you that the Civil engineer can do the Architects works or that the Architect can do the Civil engineer works.
They are misleading you.
It’s a blatant falsehood that will lend you in trouble in an organized society.

Pick the course that suits your skills and your knowledge of subjects. You have had amazing advices above. Listen to them and leave the ones encouraging Quackery.
I like to advice people to do things legally.
thank you sir. I'm curious abt the maths aspect in civil.
Re: Which Is Best, Architecture Or Civil Engineering by Oggolden001(m): 11:13pm On Jul 08, 2021
brandsoncharlie:

A Civil Engineer can design any structure depending on what you want to design especially the subfield you specialize on.
They are many of them, you have to choose wisely depending on your strength, because as you climb the ladder it gets tougher especially in calculations and how to analyze in other to avoid errors.
If you are average in mathematics, physics and chemistry I will advise you go for architecture.
thanks for the advice
Re: Which Is Best, Architecture Or Civil Engineering by badbreathcure101: 11:14pm On Jul 08, 2021
Expensive30:
You can sponsor yourself throughout if you can learn drafting before gaining admission. Go for architecture bro
that's fact bro. Drafters are big boiz infact alot of so called professionals i know are in deep hunger not even average, maybe coz they read too much or coz of their ego idk but alot of precessionals are beggers. They keep intimidating others online with their so called seals and stamps, i will say this if they are professionals they should be aiming for more challenging jobs, for now draftmen have really uped their games in all areas of constructions.

1 Like

Re: Which Is Best, Architecture Or Civil Engineering by badbreathcure101: 11:19pm On Jul 08, 2021
Emyben:

It’s a big lie on your part too to assume that a civil engineer can do architectural designs.
You think I’m talking about 2 bedroom bungalow here?
Aren’t you agreeing with me when I say that both are not professionals when it comes to the field of the others?
Can a Civil engineer design a massive architectural design? An airport? A stadium? An Opera? And other massive masterpieces?

You don’t sit in your living room, do a non functional 1 bedroom bungalow and assume that you have arrived.
And yes, the Architect can do structural drawing for little structures but that doesn’t make him a professional same a civil engineer that can designs 2 bedroom bungalow.
hahahaha now let me shock u, go and google and google (5x hotel designs, 3ds, elevations , sections, dwg files and see how millions of results will come up.

Okay now google structural detailing and calculation sheet for a hotel design and see if google won't ask you if u knew what u spelled.

I have designed numerous hotels bro, passed approvals. Architecture is dead already. I saw a programmer some few days and he said computer has been able to bring architecture to everyone but their problem is structural designs. He asked if I could get him like 100 templates and i told him maybe whe he's 80years old. Lol

4 Likes

Re: Which Is Best, Architecture Or Civil Engineering by vickydevoka(m): 11:22pm On Jul 08, 2021
brandsoncharlie:

With civil engineering you can work anywhere but architecture has a lot of constrains.
Civil engineers design building plans too and execute the project as planned. There are so many projects that you can be contracted to supervise as such on like architecture.
The list is endless.
U are right. But the question is , what does he want.
Re: Which Is Best, Architecture Or Civil Engineering by mechanics(m): 11:23pm On Jul 08, 2021
Civil engineering.
Re: Which Is Best, Architecture Or Civil Engineering by Swichnerd(m): 11:24pm On Jul 08, 2021
brandsoncharlie:

With civil engineering you can work anywhere but architecture has a lot of constrains.
Civil engineers design building plans too and execute the project as planned. There are so many projects that you can be contracted to supervise as such on like architecture.
The list is endless.
Plans that are not functional right? You people limit Architects work to building plans alone. Whenever an Architect want to design, there are s lot of things Architects put into consideration aside aesthetics, some of those are psychological relationship between the building users and the building, well being of the users i.e users comfortability.......... Mind you Architects are creative which put them ahead of any other profession in the built industry. Architecture is also a vast field so as civil engineering.
My advice to the o.p if you're to go for architecture, make sure you have s mentor who's a practicing architect right from your level 2, this will help to groom you to become acquainted to what is required of you in the field.
Same as civil engineering.

3 Likes

Re: Which Is Best, Architecture Or Civil Engineering by Emyben(m): 11:29pm On Jul 08, 2021
badbreathcure101:
hahahaha now let me shock u, go and google and google (5x hotel designs, 3ds, elevations , sections, dwg files and see how millions of results will come up.

Okay now google structural detailing and calculation sheet for a hotel design and see if google won't ask you if u knew what u spelled.

I have designed numerous hotels bro, passed approvals. Architecture is dead already. I saw a programmer some few days and he said computer has been able to bring architecture to everyone but their problem is structural designs. He asked if I could get him like 100 templates and i told him maybe whe he's 80years old. Lol

You must be delusional if you think there aren’t millions of structural drawings and calculation sheets on google and lots of extensive tutorials by all these Indian boys on YouTube.
And I find it laughable when you say Architecture is dead, I sure you are only trying to be funny or to sound woke. We all know it’s a lie �.
Architecture in the US, Canada, EU and Australia remains one of the best paid jobs. You should do enough to google it.

Then, In as much as I’m inclined to state that you are peddling falsehood, I must state that there is nothing to be proud of in being a quack. A lot of non Engineers in the construction industry knows a lot and designs structural drawings but that doesn’t make them professionals. A whole lot! Plenty! Go to lagos and see a whole bunch of them. They are all quacks.! They do these designs, look for a hungry lazy engineer, pay him 5-10K and gets him to stamp it for them.
Stop being proud of mediocrity, if you are a professional, you should be chanting against quackery and not being one yourself.

2 Likes

Re: Which Is Best, Architecture Or Civil Engineering by Swichnerd(m): 11:29pm On Jul 08, 2021
badbreathcure101:

Yep! you will see those designs online, but you can't replicate it, cause if you do, man you will be sued. Mind you a design has its own peculiarities to a particular climate.
Re: Which Is Best, Architecture Or Civil Engineering by slyayok: 11:35pm On Jul 08, 2021
I would advise you go for what you have passion for. Both courses are good but one involves a lot of calculations than the other.
Re: Which Is Best, Architecture Or Civil Engineering by Emyben(m): 11:35pm On Jul 08, 2021
Swichnerd:

Yep! you will see those designs online, but you can't replicate it, cause if you do, man you will be sued. Mind you a design has its own peculiarities to a particular climate.

To imagine he is proud of being a Quack.
E tire me. Lol
That is how some of them will go and design one poultry house, snuffing air and light out of the occupants. No sense of orientation to maximise air flow and prevent glare. All of them will still come out and claim ‘Archi design’ smh

That is how you see this small small Archi students too, when they land works, they do the structures themselves, meets a licensed Engr, pay him 5K and gets its stamped and signed.
No be still quackery be that one too?
Lol.

1 Like

Re: Which Is Best, Architecture Or Civil Engineering by Luther366(m): 11:40pm On Jul 08, 2021
A Civil Engineer Knws everything about Architecture,He will be taught all the design software from first year.If you are very prudent with ur studies you can design more than some architect because you have the advantage of knwing not Jst the drawing but the construction process.....An Architect knws little or nothing about Civil Engineering.it’s Jst like comparing a Nurse and a Doctor.Civil Engineering takes the lead.I dnt want to talk about money sha but trust me we Civil Engineers dnt go Broke....@LutherMarioConstructionLtd. Contact LutherMario1917@gmail.com
Re: Which Is Best, Architecture Or Civil Engineering by Swichnerd(m): 11:44pm On Jul 08, 2021
badbreathcure101:

Architecture is a diff. Course entirely so as civil engineering, as professionals that we are, an architect shouldn't disguise as a civil engineer, vice versa. Each of the profession has it own peculiarities. In a civilized society, you only do your own part and allow other professionals to do theirs. imagine someone who studied estate management parading himself as an engineer? We all should be professional in all our dealings, that's where prospective client will appreciate us more.

1 Like

Re: Which Is Best, Architecture Or Civil Engineering by ModelLook(m): 11:48pm On Jul 08, 2021
Do You Have Passion For Designing?
Are You Very Creative?
Can you stay up late doing nothing but just creating Architectural Interiors and Architectural Exterior designs using several softwares
Can you make Architectural Animations?
Can u spend 4 yrs doing B.Sc Architecture plus 2 yrs M.Sc Architecture in a Nigerian Uni?

The bitter truth is, the world has gone past Architectural Drawings but is evolving to Interior Designs, Exterior Designs, 3D Renderings, Architectural Animations and others let me not mention.
No Univeristy will teach you the entire above.

You will have to learn it by yourself.

Anybody here telling you Architecture is just Drawing is simply Delusional!!!!
When you get to the real world and meet high profile clients with MAD TASTE in Architecture, your reality will set in.

That's just the reality.

You can click my profile to view my Architectural Thread on Adverts and Properties.

Architecture is a CALLING!!!
If you think you are called, go for it.
But if you are having doubts, just find something else to do.

Take it from someone in the Field.

The Below Architectural Designs were done by Yours Truly

1 Like

Re: Which Is Best, Architecture Or Civil Engineering by Swichnerd(m): 11:53pm On Jul 08, 2021
Emyben:

To imagine he is proud of being a Quack.
E tire me. Lol
That is how some of them will go and design one poultry house, snuffing air and light out of the occupants. No sense of orientation to maximise air flow and prevent glare. All of them will still come out and claim ‘Archi design’ smh

That is how you see this small small Archi students too, when they land works, they do the structures themselves, meets a licensed Engr, pay him 5K and gets its stamped and signed.
No be still quackery be that one too?
Lol.
Well we all need orientation, on the boundaries and of each of the profession. An architect put alot of things into consideration while designing, things like orientation, ventilation, users comfort, daylighting, thermal comfort, shading the building from harsh weather condition........
Civil engineering also has theirs. Everyone should know their extent and we should be professional in our dealings.
Re: Which Is Best, Architecture Or Civil Engineering by Anfieldster(m): 11:57pm On Jul 08, 2021
Richardjcooper:
I’m an architect and I will tell you for a fact that architecture in Nigeria is getting useless. Same with most professional courses. The stress and money spent in school is in no way equivalent to the rewards or benefit. If you’re studying architecture, it should solely be out of passion Cos that might be the only thing keeping you going.

On which course is better to study, traditionally, both courses are good. If you like to delve more into construction and structural detailing, pls go for civil engineering. If you want your core to be designing, architecture best suits you.

Don’t get deceived, there are a lot architects and poor engineers. Don’t be deceive that you can work on your own in this industry. It’s possible but you have to pay your dues. All in all, in Nigeria you’ll need God and connection.

My advice, study a course you have passion in and wouldn’t stress you. It doesn’t necessarily have to be any the above two.
Spot-on bro!
Re: Which Is Best, Architecture Or Civil Engineering by fippycbk(m): 12:15am On Jul 09, 2021
The replies though. If you're younger than 25, find way japa.
Re: Which Is Best, Architecture Or Civil Engineering by LawFight(m): 12:21am On Jul 09, 2021
Oggolden001:
A degree in architecture nd that in civil engineering which is more sustainable in the nigerian society? Please i need advice bcuz i'm finding it hard to choose btw this two. Heres me like, i b average maths student wey like to draw alot especially building related drawings/environmental drawings too. Heres my jamb subj comb, maths, physics, chem nd english. Please advice from experience persons in the field will be veryly appreciated. (if there is any word as such)

Both are good .

They are both professional in the built industry.

But I advice Architecture . Architecture really open your mind and eye to creativity.

As an architect you can join a lot with it.

1. interior design
2. Landscaping
3. Project Management
4. Set Designer for film making
5. Photographer. Photarchitecture
7.Real estate .

Architect are the head and leader of the building team .

But Civil engineer does it better on road construction.

I am Architect and I can say Architecture as help me in years

1 Like

Re: Which Is Best, Architecture Or Civil Engineering by PProsper(m): 12:58am On Jul 09, 2021
Thats something similar to me. I did Diploma in C/Engineering, but venturing with Architecture in a Degree. There is a huge differences between the 2 courses.. But to tell u the truth, go for Architecture coz been broke is never ur portion considering the situation of the country. Am talking from experience sir.
Re: Which Is Best, Architecture Or Civil Engineering by Justiceandequit: 1:51am On Jul 09, 2021
Who can vouch for the integrity of this young engineering professional. Mr Lekan Adejumo.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

4 Clear Cut Reasons Why You Keep Missing Out On Opportunities / Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! / My Salary Is Way Lower Than My Colleagues, I Am In Pains!! (please Advice)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.