Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:18 AM

Mythical Mystical Creatures (ryeopedia) - Pets (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Mythical Mystical Creatures (ryeopedia) (16336 Views)

Are Peacocks Real Or A Mythical Creation? / The Major German Shepherd Lines (ryeopedia) / Extinct Creatures (ryeopedia) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mythical Mystical Creatures (ryeopedia) by RYEOFARMS(m): 2:16am On Jul 31, 2021
space9880:
this manticore is a badass
Yh
Re: Mythical Mystical Creatures (ryeopedia) by RYEOFARMS(m): 5:28pm On Jul 31, 2021
17. Djinn

Also known as ‘Jinn’ or ‘Genie’ is a supernatural spirit below the level of angels and devils. Treacherous spirits that changes shape,also called ʿifrīt (diabolic, evil spirits), and siʿlā (treacherous spirits of invariable form). Jinns are beings of flame or air who are capable of assuming human or animal form and are said to dwell in all conceivable inanimate objects;(stones, trees, ruins),underneath the earth, in the air, and in fire. They possess the bodily needs of human beings and can even be killed, but they are free from all physical restraints. Jinn delight in punishing humans for any harm done them, intentionally or unintentionally, and are said to be responsible for many diseases and all kinds of accidents; however, those human beings knowing the proper magical procedure can exploit the jinn to their advantage.

3 Likes

Re: Mythical Mystical Creatures (ryeopedia) by RYEOFARMS(m): 7:17pm On Jul 31, 2021
18. CENTAURS & CENTAURIDES

The centaur is a creature from Greek mythology with the upper body of a human and the lower body and legs of a horse. They are. Known to be as wild as untamed horses, and were said to have inhabited the region of Magnesia and Mount Pelion in Thessaly, the Foloi oak forest in Elis, and the Malean peninsula in southern Laconia.
They’re known to have diverse origins and types e.g some were the offsprings of IXION & NEPHELE (when Zeus was trying to get him to confess/reveal his lust for Hera),another popular race is that of the children of a man called CENTAURUS.Also some horned races were said to have been offsprings of Zeus (that guy is quite promiscuous if you ask me).
Their females are known as CENTAURIDES or CENTAURESSES

2 Likes

Re: Mythical Mystical Creatures (ryeopedia) by RYEOFARMS(m): 2:00pm On Aug 01, 2021
19. Lenaearn Hydra

The Lenaearn Hydra is a serpentine water monster in Greek and Roman mythology. Its lair was the lake of Lerna in the Argolid.The Hydra was the offspring of Typhon and Echidna.It had poisonous breath and blood so virulent that even its scent was deadly.The Hydra possessed many heads, the exact number of which varies according to the source.If perhaps it loses one of its heads,It was capable of replacing each head with multiple heads.

1 Like

Re: Mythical Mystical Creatures (ryeopedia) by RYEOFARMS(m): 2:05pm On Aug 01, 2021
20. Nemean Lion

The Nemean lion is a vicious monster in Greek mythology that lived at Nemea. It was eventually killed by Heracles. It could not be killed with mortals' weapons because its golden fur was impervious to attack. Its claws were sharper than mortals' swords and could cut through any armor.Some believed the dragon Ladon, who guarded the golden apples, to be his brother.

2 Likes

Re: Mythical Mystical Creatures (ryeopedia) by RYEOFARMS(m): 2:39am On Aug 03, 2021
21. Hippogriff

The hippogriff is a legendary creature with the front half of an eagle and the hind half of a horse. With its fore part resembling a griffin with hind legs of a horse.Just like a griffin, it has the head of an eagle, claws armed with talons, and wings covered with feathers, the rest of its body being that of a horse.
The hippogriff is said to be an evil spirit resting and possessing its soul in that of a horse and griffon as it takes pleasure in hunting other humanoids.The diet of the Hippogriff consisted mainly of insects, birds, and small mammals such as ferrets. They would sometimes paw at the ground for worms if no other food was readily available. When breeding, Hippogriffs built nests on the ground, and laid only a single, fragile egg.
Some few hippogriffs have been known to serve as rides for wizards.

1 Like

Re: Mythical Mystical Creatures (ryeopedia) by RYEOFARMS(m): 2:48am On Aug 03, 2021
22. Fairy

A Fairy also known as FAE is a type of mythical being or legendary creature found in the folklore of multiple European cultures (including Celtic, Slavic, German, English, and French folklore), as a form of spirit that possesses metaphysical, supernatural, or preternatural powers/abilities.
They are often described as tiny specific magical creatures with human appearance (mostly female), magical powers, and a penchant for trickery.

1 Like

Re: Mythical Mystical Creatures (ryeopedia) by RYEOFARMS(m): 1:09am On Aug 04, 2021
23. KELPIE

Kelpies also known as water kelpie (not the dog breed,you’re all familiar with grin ) , is a shape-shifting spirit inhabiting lakes in Scottish folklore.It is usually described as a horse-like creature (mostly black) able to adopt human form.The kelpie is usually described as a powerful and beautiful horse inhabiting the deep pools of rivers and streams of Scotland, preying on any humans it encounters. One of the water-kelpie's common identifying characteristics is that its hooves are reversed as compared to those of a normal horse. It was capable enticing its victims onto its back by singing.The kelpies then take their victims into the water, devour them, and throw the entrails to the water's edge.In its equine form the kelpie is able to extend the length of its back to carry many riders together into the depths;a common account/legend is of several children clambering onto the creature's back while one remains on the shore. Usually a little boy, he then pets the horse but his hand sticks to its neck. In some variations the lad cuts off his fingers or hand to free himself; he survives but the other children are carried off and drowned, with only some of their entrails being found later

2 Likes

Re: Mythical Mystical Creatures (ryeopedia) by peacefull(f): 1:09am On Aug 07, 2021
Very interesting topic! I love it!!
Thank you for sharing. I appreciate you!

2 Likes

Re: Mythical Mystical Creatures (ryeopedia) by RYEOFARMS(m): 3:13am On Aug 07, 2021
peacefull:
Very interesting topic! I love it!!
Thank you for sharing. I appreciate you!
You’re welcome smiley

1 Like

Re: Mythical Mystical Creatures (ryeopedia) by RYEOFARMS(m): 12:32am On Aug 20, 2021
24. PHOENIX

The phoenix is a long-lived, immortal bird in Greek mythology and many other cultures that cyclically regenerates or is otherwise born again. Associated with the sun, a phoenix obtains new life by arising from the ashes of its predecessor,it literally dies by burning itself and a new bird rises from the ashes of the dying bird. Some legends say it dies in a show of flames and combustion, others that it simply dies and decomposes before being born again. It is known as the “SPIRIT OF REGENERATION”, in some cultures/beliefs it is a sign of hope/not giving up.
The origins of the Phoenix is rooted deep in the Egyptian culture.
It is sometimes depicted as large as an eagle, and has a gleam of gold round its neck and all the rest of it is purple, but the tail blue picked out with rosecoloured feathers and the throat picked out with tufts, and a feathered crest adorning its head.

3 Likes

Re: Mythical Mystical Creatures (ryeopedia) by Bighenzzy(m): 2:04am On Aug 20, 2021
Re: Mythical Mystical Creatures (ryeopedia) by RYEOFARMS(m): 7:36pm On Sep 19, 2021
25. OGRE

An ogre (feminine: ogress) is a legendary monster usually depicted as a large, hideous, man-like being that eats ordinary human beings, especially infants and children.Ogres are often depicted as inhumanly large, tall, and having a disproportionately large head, abundant hair, unusually colored skin, a voracious appetite, and a strong body. Ogres are closely linked with giants and with human cannibals in mythology.The most popular ogre known to us in this part of the world is SHREK

2 Likes

Re: Mythical Mystical Creatures (ryeopedia) by ogyunging(m): 2:41pm On Sep 22, 2021
Interesting.

1 Like

Re: Mythical Mystical Creatures (ryeopedia) by RYEOFARMS(m): 5:44pm On Sep 25, 2021
26. REDCAP

The redcap (or powrie) is a type of malevolent, murderous goblin found in folklore. He is said to inhabit ruined castles along the Anglo-Scottish border, especially those that were the scenes of tyranny or wicked deeds and is known for soaking his cap in the blood of his victims. He is also known as Redcomb and Bloody Cap.Redcap is depicted as "a short, thickset old elf with long prominent teeth, skinny fingers armed with talons like eagles, large eyes of a fiery red colour, grisly hair streaming down his shoulders, iron boots, a pikestaff in his left hand, and a red cap on his head".When travellers take refuge in his lair, he flings huge stones at them and if he kills them, he soaks his cap in their blood, giving it a crimson hue. He is unaffected by human strength, but can be driven away by words of Scripture or by the brandishing of a crucifix, which cause him to utter a dismal yell and vanish in flames, leaving behind a large tooth.

1 Like

Re: Mythical Mystical Creatures (ryeopedia) by RYEOFARMS(m): 3:42pm On Sep 28, 2021
27. WILL O WISP

Also known as “will of the wisp” is an atmospheric ghost light seen by travelers at night, especially over bogs, swamps or marshes. The creature/existence is known in English folk belief, English folklore and much of European folklore by a variety of names, including jack-o'-lantern, friar's lantern, hinkypunk and hobby lantern and is said to mislead travelers by resembling a flickering lamp or lantern. In literature, will-o'-the-wisp metaphorically refers to a hope or goal that leads one on but is impossible to reach or something one finds sinister and weird,mostly associated with ghosts, fairies and elemental beings/spiritsi

1 Like

Re: Mythical Mystical Creatures (ryeopedia) by RYEOFARMS(m): 3:49pm On Sep 28, 2021
28. THESTRAL
The Thestral is a breed of winged horse with a skeletal body, face with reptilian features, and wide, leathery wings that resemble a bat's. They were native to the British Isles and Ireland, though they had been spotted in parts of France and the Iberian Peninsula.They are very rare, and were considered dangerous by the British Ministry of Magic.Thestrals were, undeservedly, known as omens of misfortune and aggression by many wizards because they were visible only to those who had witnessed death at least once or due to their somewhat grim, gaunt and ghostly appearance.
Thestrals had quite a disturbing appearance and the wizards who were capable of seeing them often only described these creatures as being sinister and spooky. This was because they were seen as having big, bony figures and their dragon-like faces which bore white, glittering eyes that lacked both expression and pupils. Additionally, they were lured by the scent of blood.
Being a type of winged horse, most of their anatomy was identical to a horse, excluding their large wings that sprouted from their back. Unlike the Abraxan, another breed of winged horses, Thestral's wings did not possess any feathers at all; they had vast, black and leathery wings that were more similar to those of bats. Their fleshless, lustrous bodies were covered with a translucent and glossy coat. This smooth and dark skin was a bit slippery and so thin that Thestral's bones were clearly defined through the entire extension of their sleek bodies. These eerie horses had long black manes, as well as a large tail, either with flowing black hair, like horses or ending in a tuft, like zebras. Another distinction was their sharp fangs used to seize and slash their prey.

1 Like

Re: Mythical Mystical Creatures (ryeopedia) by RYEOFARMS(m): 3:56pm On Sep 28, 2021
29. Tsurube Otoshi
The Tsurube Otoshi is a creature of myth in Japanese legends In the form of a head with no body. They are said to drop from above the trees and attack, and even devour humans.
They are quite similar to the ORI in our folktale the story of OLAJUMOKE

2 Likes

Re: Mythical Mystical Creatures (ryeopedia) by RYEOFARMS(m): 12:17pm On Oct 02, 2021
30. JABBERWOCKY

The Jabberwocky is a large winged chimera with the body of a dragon, a whiskered, fish-like head, insectile antennae and a pair of talon-like hands on both its arms and its wings, which may also serve as forelegs when it walked on the ground.

1 Like

Re: Mythical Mystical Creatures (ryeopedia) by peacefull(f): 3:13am On Oct 05, 2021
RYEOFARMS:
29. Tsurube Otoshi
The Tsurube Otoshi is a creature of myth in Japanese legends In the form of a head with no body. They are said to drop from above the trees and attack, and even devour humans.
They are quite similar to the ORI in our folktale the story of OLAJUMOKE

There is similar like this in Nigeria?
Very interesting!

2 Likes

Re: Mythical Mystical Creatures (ryeopedia) by RYEOFARMS(m): 6:38am On Oct 05, 2021
peacefull:

There is similar like this in Nigeria?
Very interesting!
Yh I’ve heard of them, countless times
Re: Mythical Mystical Creatures (ryeopedia) by jeff1607(m): 4:28pm On Oct 05, 2021
Nice read

1 Like

Re: Mythical Mystical Creatures (ryeopedia) by peacefull(f): 2:37am On Oct 06, 2021
RYEOFARMS:

Yh I’ve heard of them, countless times

Wow!!
Nigeria and Japan have many similar things. Same words, but different meaning etc. Really interesting!
I will check about ORI. I hope I can find out!!

Thank you so much for sharing.
I appreciate you!
Re: Mythical Mystical Creatures (ryeopedia) by RYEOFARMS(m): 5:54am On Oct 06, 2021
peacefull:

Wow!!
Nigeria and Japan have many similar things. Same words, but different meaning etc. Really interesting!
I will check about ORI. I hope I can find out!!

Thank you so much for sharing.
I appreciate you!
Nope you might not find just “ORI” online but you can search for “ olajumoke and ORI “ (ORI means Head) or you ask any Yoruba elder he/she will know the story
By the way you're welcome smiley

1 Like

Re: Mythical Mystical Creatures (ryeopedia) by RYEOFARMS(m): 7:17am On Oct 06, 2021
30. ZEBRA CENTAURS

Zebra Centaurs are half human-half zebra creatures ,a bad tempered race that dislike outsiders within their lands and they will stop at nothing to expel foreigners to the land with their mighty speed and power and can literally outrun a centaur. Although they’re not as popular, they’re known to be as hot-tempered as the CENTAUR

2 Likes

Re: Mythical Mystical Creatures (ryeopedia) by RYEOFARMS(m): 7:25am On Oct 06, 2021
31. GIRAFFE CENTAURS

Giraffe Centaurs are also creatures similar to the CENTAURS but they originate from somewhere in Africa and stories of them have been told and reframed over the ages, do you remember the tale of the “HUNTER AND THE GIRAFFE”?! yea there’s one good example. These creatures are capable of taking the form of a full giraffe or a half human-half giraffe or even take off their skin/hide and turn fully human. They’re known to be gentle creatures when not tampered with but when disturbed or faced with threats they’re known to be as ferocious and deadly as the CENTAURS

1 Like

Re: Mythical Mystical Creatures (ryeopedia) by EmmaNuella77(f): 7:29am On Oct 06, 2021
Highly educative.

Lalasticlala FP please

1 Like

Re: Mythical Mystical Creatures (ryeopedia) by iamvictorr: 8:21am On Oct 06, 2021
lalasticlala this one suppose enter frontpage oo

1 Like

Re: Mythical Mystical Creatures (ryeopedia) by peacefull(f): 2:34am On Oct 07, 2021
RYEOFARMS:

Nope you might not find just “ORI” online but you can search for “ olajumoke and ORI “ (ORI means Head) or you ask any Yoruba elder he/she will know the story
By the way you're welcome smiley

Yes! I couldn't find out ORI embarassed
I will try to check "olajumoke and ORI".
But maybe I can't find out it on Japanese website.

If I couldn't find out it again, at least I already learned new things from you, I'm already happy about it! smiley
I really appreciate you!!

1 Like

Re: Mythical Mystical Creatures (ryeopedia) by RYEOFARMS(m): 12:25pm On Oct 07, 2021
peacefull:

Yes! I couldn't find out ORI embarassed
I will try to check "olajumoke and ORI".
But maybe I can't find out it on Japanese website.

If I couldn't find out it again, at least I already learned new things from you, I'm already happy about it! smiley
I really appreciate you!!
Good morning, you won’t find ORI on any Japanese vocabulary or sort. ORI is a Yoruba word.
smiley you’re welcome smiley
Re: Mythical Mystical Creatures (ryeopedia) by RYEOFARMS(m): 5:32pm On Oct 07, 2021
32. YETI

The YETI (sometimes associated with big foot)is an ape-like creature purported to inhabit the Himalayan mountain range in Asia. In western popular culture, the creature is commonly referred to as the Abominable Snowman. Supposed evidence of the Yeti's existence include anecdotal visual sightings, disputed video recordings, photographs, and casts of large footprints. Some of these are speculated or known to be hoaxes.
The Yeti is often described as being a large, bipedal ape-like creature that is covered with brown, gray, or white hair, and it is sometimes depicted as having large, sharp teeth.Although various cultures have their own depictions of the Yeti, In Yoruba folklore the only similar occurrence was that of a monkey who wished and prayed to the almighty to become a human, he was asked to keep a secret to himself for 3 days after which he will be turned to human but unfortunately he spillled the secret on the third day just before he could transform into human,although the transformation took place but it wasn’t complete; making him a half human-half monkey. He could no longer return into the wild with its kind nor could he walk amongst humans.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Should Dogs Be Fed Raw Or Cooked Food? / Legend Of sir Aslan Of The Jin Ryeo Family / Quick Sale, Male Caucasian Shepherd 5 Months Old For 35k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.