Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,063 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:35 AM

Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG (38068 Views)

Stolen Artefacts: British Police Hold On To Ife Head Stolen From Nigeria (pic) / Don’t Allow Obaseki Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts, Oba Of Benin Urges FG / Don’t Allow Fayose Escape From Nigeria, EFCC Urges Customs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by Indispensable85(m): 5:46pm On Jul 10, 2021
Judolisco:
bro it's d same system I'm not talking about d emergence or Ascension of d oba here... I'm talking about federalism and the devolution of power in Nigeria... Federal, state and local... The Oba is under the local government and can be removed... That's why i said at d beginning that I'm not talking about diabolical powers... If na diabolical powers then u r free to believe whatsoever..... Who gave the oba staff of office?

You're totally off the mark. The Oba of Benin is not in the same category of traditional rulers with the emir of Kano. You can't dethrone the Oba because he's irreplaceable unlike the emir of Kano. Get that into your head. The fucking staff of office is useless to the Oba. You'll never see that useless staff in the hand of the Oba unlike the emir of Kano. The governor even kneels down before the Oba, doesn't that tell you something? The governor of Kano can not kneel before the emir. The emir is an apointee of the governor but the Oba is not. Wetin devolution of power and federalism dey do 4 here? Lol......nairalanders
Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by Indispensable85(m): 5:48pm On Jul 10, 2021
lexy2014:

What's wrong with it?

Lol....just stroll enter there for ring road and see for yourself.
Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by UGBE634: 5:51pm On Jul 10, 2021
angelfallz:
Okay, my mistake then. Are you Bini?
What happens if the Oba has no son?

Yes full blooded Edo man, We have not seen such for the remotest part of our history, the closest was when he had just one male child in the case of ogiso owodo who wandered off to Uhe(Ife) and was sent for by the Binis who believes that it should be one line. Sincerely the ancestors have been faithful and have not allowed that for the greater part of our history

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by Judolisco(m): 5:52pm On Jul 10, 2021
Indispensable85:

You're totally off the mark. The Oba of Benin is not in the same category of traditional rulers with the emir of Kano. You can't dethrone the Oba because he's irreplaceable unlike the emir of Kano. Get that into your head. The fucking staff of office is useless to the Oba. You'll never see that useless staff in the hand of the Oba unlike the emir of Kano. The governor even kneels down before the Oba, doesn't that tell you something? The governor of Kano can not kneel before the emir. The emir is an apointee of the governor but the Oba is not. Wetin devolution of power and federalism dey do 4 here? Lol......nairalanders
haha wetin u dey talk was an oba not banished to calabar and all his chiefs hanged in d past?... The Oba can be removed... Kneeling is not a sign of respect or superiority... Ganduje bowed to Lamido and still removed him... I have pictures of fayemi prostrating before alafin of oyo state... The Oba controls traditional powers only ... And can be removed and replaced.. No be matter to dey argue about if u enter edo call any elderly person ask am... Why is d oba appealing to d federal government if he controls so much powers?
Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by Deadlytruth(m): 5:52pm On Jul 10, 2021
obynzo:

I understand, but note the colonials deposed the Oba after the punitive expedition and nothing happened to them. if it is in the basis of preserving the heritage of the monarchy it is understandable.

Was the deposition based on the consent of the subjects of the king who ethroned him as their representative head?

1 Like

Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by Deadlytruth(m): 5:55pm On Jul 10, 2021
angelfallz:
Why must this be dragged out in public?

Is there a Royal museum that has been setup on ground ready to house the artefacts?

If yes, then what is obaseki's problem?

We're calling for true federalism and restructuring but the Oba of Benin is running to the FG to intervene in Benin culture, WTH!

Is it that the Oba of Benin and the Edo govt can't come up with a solution on where to house their great and incredible Cultural artefacts for the benefit of the Benin children old and young, for the benefit of Nigerians and the world at large?

This is how they would start, then the Germans would now turn around and give one excuse and say they're not returning it again.

Honestly this country undecided

Those of you who saying that the Sanusi treatment would soon happen to the Oba of Benin don't know or understand Benin culture. Obaseki, Buhari or any government for that matter can't dethrone the Oba of Benin.
It is not an appointed position.
Obaseki already agreed with the Oba that the artefacts would be housed in the Royal Museum hence the Oba set aside some land for the building of it only for Obaseki to later change tune to Edo Museum of West African Arts and Culture.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by Okoroawusa: 5:56pm On Jul 10, 2021
Artefacts never land una don dey fight after una go dey call Buhari
Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by lexy2014: 5:59pm On Jul 10, 2021
Indispensable85:

Lol....just stroll enter there for ring road and see for yourself.

Since u have strolled in and seen, what did u see?
Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by Deadlytruth(m): 6:01pm On Jul 10, 2021
TheMan3:
you guys have no idea how Benin works
Nairaland if overpopulated with indomie generation youths who look at everything through the lenses of partisan politics.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by lexy2014: 6:02pm On Jul 10, 2021
Mikecold:
You have not asked any question

I showed you he is not the first to own cars in travelling

I showed you he is still staying in the palace of his Ancestors without changing location

The oba is the custodian of the bini culture and i am not aware of when you changed it for bini kingdom

If I didn't ask u anything, what are ur comments above in response to? Where did u see "bini kingdom" in d questions I asked u?

What are these below?:

1. What has knowing d importance of each from d other got to do with d discussion?
2. If u are towing that line, why then did u say that "Oba is the custodian of bini culture hope you also know that"?

3. So which tradition is oba ewuare following by building for himself a brand new modern palace which was different from that of his ancestors?

4. Which tradition did oba ewuare follow when he went to Abuja to welcome prince Charles and visit buhari in aso rock?
5. Which tradition is he following by driving in a rolls Royce?
Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by Deadlytruth(m): 6:05pm On Jul 10, 2021
lexy2014:

If obaseki is trying to cash in on this artefacts as u say, what is d oba trying to do by insisting that a museum be built inside his palace when there's already a museum at ring road very close to his palace? From all indications, both d oba and obaseki are selfish individuals who are looking to profit from this venture. It's typical of us here where we can't put aside our parochial and selfish interests for d good of all and sundry
In 2014 the son of one of the British soldiers who participated in the 1897 expedition returned some of those artefacts straight to the palace without involving the state government. What does that tell you about who the rightful custodian is?

2 Likes

Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by Mosesvic11(m): 6:06pm On Jul 10, 2021
Mikecold:
you are just displaying gross ignorance

In the binin tradition the place is distinct from the government the exact reason why governor can't select a new oba nor sack him

The government can only co-ordinate tradition on the advice of the palace

Artifacts stolen from the palace are more or less cultural attributes of the palace which holds trust of the culture of the bini people

You are Yoruba where your kings are picked and sustained through government dice so i don't expect you to get it

Government can only be doing private museum with it if the palace doesn't consider them to be too much of importance to them
no palace is bigger than the government

1 Like

Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by Nobody: 6:10pm On Jul 10, 2021
Deadlytruth:

Was the deposition based on the consent of the subjects of the king who ethroned him as their representative head?
That is not the point. I was only trying to let people know that the governor still has power to dethrone the Oba according to the laws
Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by lexy2014: 6:10pm On Jul 10, 2021
Deadlytruth:
In 2014 the son of one of the British soldiers who participated in the 1897 expedition returned some of those artefacts straight to the palace without involving the state government. What does that tell you about who the rightful custodian is?

I didn't say d artifacts dont belong to his ancestors. As it stands, d Benin museum still houses similar artifacts which are owned by d ancestors of oba ewuare. Why hasn't he laid claim to those artifacts for d purpose of keeping them in d palace as "the rightful custodian"?
Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by Indispensable85(m): 6:13pm On Jul 10, 2021
lexy2014:

Since u have strolled in and seen, what did u see?

Go see 4 ur sef
Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by UGBE634: 6:14pm On Jul 10, 2021
Mosesvic11:
no palace is bigger than the government
The Oba of Benin, his palace and his stool as an institution is bigger than Edo state government. Obaseki knows this and won't contend with this fact.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by lexy2014: 6:15pm On Jul 10, 2021
Indispensable85:

Go see 4 ur sef

Since u have seen for urself, it shouldn't be a problem for u saying what u saw
Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by lexy2014: 6:16pm On Jul 10, 2021
UGBE634:
The Oba of Benin, his palace and his stool as an institution is bigger than Edo state government. Obaseki knows this and won't contend with this fact.

What makes oba of Benin bigger than Edo state govt?

1 Like

Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by Indispensable85(m): 6:17pm On Jul 10, 2021
Judolisco:
haha wetin u dey talk was an oba not banished to calabar and all his chiefs hanged in d past?... The Oba can be removed... Kneeling is not a sign of respect or superiority... Ganduje bowed to Lamido and still removed him... I have pictures of fayemi prostrating before alafin of oyo state... The Oba controls traditional powers only ... And can be removed and replaced.. No be matter to dey argue about if u enter edo call any elderly person ask am... Why is d oba appealing to d federal government if he controls so much powers?

U nor get point joor. Was Oba ovoranmwen deposed by the governor?

By the way I'm from Edo State. A bini man to be precise.
Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by Deadlytruth(m): 6:17pm On Jul 10, 2021
lexy2014:

I didn't say d artifacts dont belong to his ancestors. As it stands, d Benin museum still houses similar artifacts which are owned by d ancestors of oba ewuare. Why hasn't he laid claim to those artifacts for d purpose of keeping them in d palace as "the rightful custodian"?
. What you have in the museum are replicas of the palace samples carved by commercial sculptors of more recent times and not the original ones.
Now, why hasn't the state or federal government ordered that those ones returned to the palace in 2014 be moved to the museum you talk about?

1 Like

Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by stanley000: 6:17pm On Jul 10, 2021
naijaddk:
Another Oba of benin slave is here voicing support for the over hyped slave trader call Oba.
your grand father is a slave trader!!
Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by Indispensable85(m): 6:18pm On Jul 10, 2021
lexy2014:

Since u have seen for urself, it shouldn't be a problem for u saying what u saw

Go see 4 ur sef
Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by Judolisco(m): 6:24pm On Jul 10, 2021
Indispensable85:

U nor get point joor. Was Oba ovoranmwen deposed by the governor?

By the way I'm from Edo State. A bini man to be precise.
I Don hear u bros... I Don tell u my own.. D system of government we practice the oba is under d local government.. And the state governor can remove him... The highest people go protest arbi make dem use jazz on d governor or take the matter to court... He was not deposed by a governor.. It was during d colonial era, he was deposed by a superior power
Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by Kaiser20: 6:25pm On Jul 10, 2021
BosseJ:
The state government needs to handle the issue with care. The Benin monarchy is an institution that predates any Edo state government. Obaseki (or any governor for that matter) will come and go, but the monarchy will outlive any governor.
you are not reasoning Well.
So the monarch should decide what happens in the state abi?
If Obaseki goes, will he carry the government house in Benin along with him, no other governor.
Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by Deadlytruth(m): 6:26pm On Jul 10, 2021
obynzo:

That is not the point. I was only trying to let people know that the governor still has power to dethrone the Oba according to the laws
Exactly which laws please? You seem not to know that laws on traditional institutions vary from state to state on account of the fact that traditional matters are not meddled into by the FG. Go and read Edo State laws on traditional institutions within the state and you will be better informed as to whether any Edo State Government can dethrone the Oba. Even Onyearegbulem as a military junta governor didn't imagine such. He only attempted to remove the Oba as head of Edo State traditional council....an action which even violated the Edo State laws on traditional institutions that recognized (not appointed) the Oba as the permanent head of the state's traditional council. I leave you to find out how successful Onyearegbulem was in doing that and why he later apologized to Edo State people for that.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by lexy2014: 6:30pm On Jul 10, 2021
Deadlytruth:
. What you have in the museum are replicas of the palace samples carved by commercial sculptors of more recent times and not the original ones.
Now, why hasn't the state or federal government ordered that those ones returned to the palace in 2014 be moved to the museum you talk about?

I don't think that they are all replicas and when u say "recent times", when exactly?

Why does d FG and state govt need to "order" regarding artifacts that were returned in 2014? Where does "order" fit into this discussion? I don't follow
Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by Deadlytruth(m): 6:30pm On Jul 10, 2021
Judolisco:
I Don hear u bros... I Don tell u my own.. D system of government we practice the oba is under d local government.. And the state governor can remove him... The highest people go protest arbi make dem use jazz on d governor or take the matter to court... He was not deposed by a governor.. It was during d colonial era, he was deposed by a superior power

Which system of government are you talking of please? You think the federal government made the laws on traditional institutions? Go and study Edo State laws on traditional institutions in the state and be better informed.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by lexy2014: 6:31pm On Jul 10, 2021
Indispensable85:

Go see 4 ur sef

Have u seen for urself
Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by Judolisco(m): 6:35pm On Jul 10, 2021
Deadlytruth:

Which system of government are you talking of please? You think the federal government made the laws on traditional institutions? Go and study Edo State laws on traditional institutions in the state and be better informed.
no b issue of studying any law.. If there is any law in edo state that states that a traditional ruler is superior to the state government Pls show me and I'll rest
Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by Eriggs: 6:35pm On Jul 10, 2021
post=103554686]Nigeria must be great in our lifetime.
All of us @ we always stand on the side of the truth.
We will continue to expose all corrupt and looting politicians that are only after their pockets and never care about the masses.

https://fb.watch/6DnuD6W-fl/[/quote]

[quote author=Agbegbaorogboye
:

Mynd 44 OAM4J
Rule 1
For you to be reporting people that says they will continue to expose thieves, looters and criminals only tell members here one thing about you.
I now know the kind of person you are and what you do for a living. It is a matter of time.

1 Like

Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by Indispensable85(m): 6:35pm On Jul 10, 2021
lexy2014:

Have u seen for urself

Go see 4 ur sef
Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by lexy2014: 6:36pm On Jul 10, 2021
Indispensable85:

Go see 4 ur sef

Have u seen for urself

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply)

Stop Using French Flag As Profile Picture, It's An Act Of Slavery - Reno Omokri / Crowd Awaiting Tinubu Arrival At Lagos Rally (Pictures and video) / NLC, TUC, Sign 15-Point Agreement With FG (See Details)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.