Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,378 members, 7,812,105 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:18 AM

What I Saw In National Open University. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What I Saw In National Open University. (3972 Views)

Are Certificates Really Overrated? What I Saw In My Uncle's House / Olamide Samuel, The First African PhD Holder In National Security At 25 Years / People Are Afraid To Study In National Open University Of Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What I Saw In National Open University. by shortgun(m): 3:26pm On Jul 11, 2021
It's a pity that NOUN is structured just as every other public tertiary institution in the country. The purpose of higher education is defeated in our universities.
The purpose of higher education is to stimulate the ability for undergraduates to think for themselves and proffer solutions to societal problems in their own innovative ideas.
It is even more tasking for the students if it is distance learning.

In universities abroad students will get a low grade or get penalised when they copy the exact words or phrases of their lecturers,instructors or other people's work, students will be punished when they use the same method in solving a new assignment that they used in a previous one(students are expected to cite their own previous work).
You will even get more punishment or fail a course when you do so without proper citations and references. Students are not allowed more than 7-10 % citations in their assignments, exams, e.t.c you will fail the course if it's more.

Generally, tests, assignments and exams should reflect how well each student understands the subject and how they will explain them in their own words not the lecturer's words.

What is happening in NOUN and every other university in the country is just copy and paste, I doubt 90% of the students are learning, we are just expected to cram as much as possible and fill in the gaps during assignments and exams, your answer to a question will be wrong if you substitute a word with the same meaning with another word(synonym) in your course materials, text book or handout.....this is not learning.
It is funny that the same lecturers that discouraged creativity and innovation will expect students to be innovative when writing their projects or during project defence.

Higher education is not based on cramming,copy and paste or the lecturer's understanding of a subject it's foundation is based on the student's ability to understand concepts and ability to process those concepts into ideas that is unique and innovative.

I was really thinking that NOUN will be different from every other university in the country but just like every other institution it have been infected with the Nigerian factor.

5 Likes

Re: What I Saw In National Open University. by garyaustin(m): 4:05pm On Jul 11, 2021
Must you use NOUN out of your 90% of Universities doing copy and paste?

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What I Saw In National Open University. by Clementson(m): 5:36pm On Jul 11, 2021
garyaustin:
God bless you, don't mind the poster jawe.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What I Saw In National Open University. by thesicilian: 6:17pm On Jul 11, 2021
Memorize and regurgitate, that's the problem of the Nigerian system of education. And we wonder why our students are practical oriented

5 Likes

Re: What I Saw In National Open University. by shortgun(m): 6:31pm On Jul 11, 2021
garyaustin:
Read again, I wrote generally about the problem affecting all tertiary institutions in the country. My reference to NOUN is my assumption that they will do things differently.

5 Likes

Re: What I Saw In National Open University. by SKhanmi: 8:04pm On Jul 11, 2021
shortgun:

Read again, I wrote generally about the problem affecting all tertiary institutions in the country. My reference to NOUN is my assumption that they will do things differently.

They don't & it is quite disappointing. Onboarding is chaotic due to appointment of incompetent staffs, no different from public schools, curriculum is filled with mostly outdated information & most of their undergraduates are already achieving notoriety as unserious elements who would likely drop out before the completion of their program. Any serious scholar would not have any problem passing through that school. Just cram & paste it back for them.

The only merit I see there is the flexible & affordable fees. Else it's just another repackaged public university
Re: What I Saw In National Open University. by Pauldollars(m): 8:27pm On Jul 11, 2021
I bet this OP must have failed an e-exam in GST or another course, that's why he/she is complaining. When answering e-exam questions, NOUN expects you to use the exact words from the module they gave you to study in order to show that you have covered the course outline.
Don't formulate your own ideas or similar thoughts to what's in your NOUN textbook.
Its only pen on paper exams you can interchange some words as it will be marked by a lecturer, not the computer.
Also try and ensure that you perform well in your TMA (Continuous Assessment) so as to have a good grade when any results is out. That's one great way of passing in National Open University of Nigeria.
Besides its very difficult to cheat or bribe any lecturers in NOUN which makes them have a high standard.

3 Likes

Re: What I Saw In National Open University. by traihit: 9:03pm On Jul 11, 2021
thesicilian:
Memorize and regurgitate, that's the problem of the Nigerian system of education. And we wonder why our students are practical oriented

Not only that, but even when students try to be creative, they get penalized for it. I remember a particular history-related course I took in 100level. I always read ahead before coming to the class and I know the next thing the lecturer was going to say. When the lecturer omits something, I knew what was omitted.

The exam came , wrote beyond what we were given in class and I scored 56. Till tomorrow, I haven't forgiven that scenario. Those who could cite the lecturer verbatim were the ones with scores above 60.

6 Likes

Re: What I Saw In National Open University. by Fkj202004: 9:26pm On Jul 11, 2021
shortgun:
It's a pity that NOUN is structured just as every other public tertiary institution in the country. The purpose of higher education is defeated in our universities.
The purpose of higher education is to stimulate the ability for undergraduates to think for themselves and proffer solutions to societal problems in their own innovative ideas.
It is even more tasking for the students if it is distance learning.

In universities abroad students will get a low grade or get penalised when they copy the exact words or phrases of their lecturers,instructors or other people's work, students will be punished when they use the same method in solving a new assignment that they used in a previous one(students are expected to cite their own previous work).
You will even get more punishment or fail a course when you do so without proper citations and references. Students are not allowed more than 7-10 % citations in their assignments, exams, e.t.c you will fail the course if it's more.

Generally, tests, assignments and exams should reflect how well each student understands the subject and how they will explain them in their own words not the lecturer's words.

What is happening in NOUN and every other university in the country is just copy and paste, I doubt 90% of the students are learning, we are just expected to cram as much as possible and fill in the gaps during assignments and exams, your answer to a question will be wrong if you substitute a word with the same meaning with another word(synonym) in your course materials, text book or handout.....this is not learning.
It is funny that the same lecturers that discouraged creativity and innovation will expect students to be innovative when writing their projects or during project defence.

Higher education is not based on cramming,copy and paste or the lecturer's understanding of a subject it's foundation is based on the student's ability to understand concepts and ability to process those concepts into ideas that is unique and innovative.

I was really thinking that NOUN will be different from every other university in the country but just like every other institution it have been infected with the Nigerian factor.

To an extent, you are right.

The aspect of copying and pasting in Examination like you pointed out in NOUN is experienced in E-exams (written by 100 and 200level; GST courses for 700 and 800level students) where Students are expected to read their textbooks from front to back and word to word.

If I may ask, how many synonyms does a word have? This is the main reason why Students have to input the exact words they have read in their textbooks. This in a way shows that students actually studied their textbooks.

Remember that 300level and above write Pen-On-Paper (POP) Examinations where their creativity comes into force.

Like I said, you are right to some extent but you can't take it away from NOUN as the number one public institution that utilizes ICT in nearly all it's operations including non-examinable courses.

There are issues with every learning institution both within and outside Nigeria. Therefore, NOUN will be better and stronger.

3 Likes

Re: What I Saw In National Open University. by yuping(m): 9:28pm On Jul 11, 2021
SMH
Re: What I Saw In National Open University. by edoairways: 9:52pm On Jul 11, 2021
garyaustin:
The poster is right especially the aspect of copying and pasting in examination. A dog can never give birth to a lion.

2 Likes

Re: What I Saw In National Open University. by edoairways: 9:55pm On Jul 11, 2021
traihit:

Not only that, but even when students try to be creative, they get penalized for it. I remember a particular history-related course I took in 100level. I always read ahead before coming to the class and I know the next thing the lecturer was going to say. When the lecturer omits something, I knew what was omitted.

The exam came , wrote beyond what we were given in class and I scored 56. Till tomorrow, I haven't forgiven that scenario. Those who could cite the lecturer verbatim were the ones with scores above 60.
Sorry to say but that lecturer is a dullard. A knowledgeable lecturer give room for creativity.

3 Likes

Re: What I Saw In National Open University. by LienwaltAbel(m): 10:35pm On Jul 11, 2021
Yen yen yen yen yen. It's the same worldwide, people I've had a chat with on YouTube said the same thing. Why do you think the Americans have been complaining about the educational system, the only difference between us and them is that they learn how to apply their knowledge practically while we only use ours theoretically which is why Nigerians are only good at producing good grades.

2 Likes

Re: What I Saw In National Open University. by shortgun(m): 11:10pm On Jul 11, 2021
Pauldollars:
I bet this OP must have failed an e-exam in GST or another course, that's why he/she is complaining. When answering e-exam questions, NOUN expects you to use the exact words from the module they gave you to study in order to show that you have covered the course outline.
Don't formulate your own ideas or similar thoughts to what's in your NOUN textbook.
Its only pen on paper exams you can interchange some words as it will be marked by a lecturer, not the computer.
Also try and ensure that you perform well in your TMA (Continuous Assessment) so as to have a good grade when any results is out. That's one great way of passing in National Open University of Nigeria.
Besides its very difficult to cheat or bribe any lecturers in NOUN which makes them have a high standard.

Anyone with half a functional brain will pass all the exams.
TMAs gives students sure 30 marks...this is very easy to achieve...they only need to copy and paste.
You only need to score 30% in a 70, 100 or 120 question exams.
Scoring 20 marks in a 70 questions exam is what a student needs to pass a course.
Who will not achieve this?
In some of the exam questions you only complete common knowledge sentences exactly the way it's written in the course materials...this is the same all over the country.

Higher education should not be structured this way or the purpose will be defeated.
I've passed through education in conventional universities here and abroad I can tell you that no where else in the world are undergraduates taught to memorize every word in their textbooks and paste them during assessments and exams.
From first semester in every other university in the world you are made to understand that college learning is different from high school learning.
A common expression you hear from lecturers/facilitators over there is " the world wants to learn from you not from me".
Lecturers will punish you for doing all your assignments with sentences you picked from them. One of the instructions given with assignment questions is a serious warning not to copy anwers from any source not even your textbooks or your previous assessments.
All assessment answers are checked for plagiarism.

Undergraduates are expected to be creative and show different unique innovative ways to solving common problems.
No two students answers to a question are expected to be the same in approach or method....why is this different here?
Tertiary education should stimulate critical thinking abilities in students not turn them into empty copycats.
Undergraduates are required to show understanding of the concepts they learn in their assessment not to complete sentences from their textbooks.

2 Likes

Re: What I Saw In National Open University. by Pauldollars(m): 11:53pm On Jul 11, 2021
[/b]
shortgun:

Tertiary education should stimulate critical thinking abilities in students not turn them into empty copycats.
[b]

As much as critical thinking abilities is important for students; when it comes to exams, a lot of students will often write off-point from the main ideas or subject matter being asked. That's why its important to write what you've been taught in class. Thinking out of the box or using your creative abilities will only help you outside the school environment, in the world of science, commerce and technology.
Within the walls of an academic institution, follow the principles to achieve success or better still, open your own 'academia'.
Re: What I Saw In National Open University. by Nobody: 12:13am On Jul 12, 2021
shortgun:

I understand the issue you just wrote about which is the e-exam answers. This is because you are still in 100/200 Level. When you get to 300L, it is pen on paper and you can show your academic creativity by substituting words and still get your mark. But the e-exams are programmed with a set of fixed words, maybe 2 or 3 possible words for each gap, so try to stick to the words in the material and avoid making typo errors as well.

I can also tell you that NOUN is better than a lot of conventional universities in Nigeria. As someone who has been to different Nigerian universities, I can confirm this to you. Most of these federal and state unis are just thriving on names built in the past. When you graduate and go to other schools, you'll realise that NOUN is far better cos you don't deal with evil lecturers and wicked school admins. As long as u don't meet an evil supervisor during ur final year project you should have a smooth journey so be prayerful and work hard. All the best.

1 Like

Re: What I Saw In National Open University. by abeniagbon(m): 7:28am On Jul 12, 2021
That how I fail most of my course when I couldn't copy and paste in lecturer words

1 Like

Re: What I Saw In National Open University. by phemmyfour: 7:50am On Jul 12, 2021
traihit:

Always stick to the classroom teachings
Re: What I Saw In National Open University. by Incredible128: 7:54am On Jul 12, 2021
From what I've seen so far, .most lecturers ( at least from the level I started up till the level I'm in now) do not teach students for them to understand, they just teach either to fulfil all righteousness or to just give u a glimpse into the topic then it's left for the student to research and understand on his/her own or not (it could be different in other levels and other universities, although I cannot affirm that yet) but that is what I've come to understand in my experience so far in the university although this should not be so

2 Likes

Re: What I Saw In National Open University. by WoeBetide666: 9:22am On Jul 12, 2021
How do you know what happens in universities abroad, have you schooled there?
Re: What I Saw In National Open University. by milky3(f): 10:14am On Jul 12, 2021
NOUN is Flexible enough
Your eExam must be word for word(as in fill in the gap) to show that you actually studied and understood the course materials
Then in your 300l upward you can use your word just make sure u are not out of points. I enjoy their program

1 Like

Re: What I Saw In National Open University. by Ge0grapher(m): 1:27pm On Jul 12, 2021
Abeg leave our NOUN for us..
Like say na for only Noun e dey happen...
Re: What I Saw In National Open University. by Nobody: 3:17pm On Jul 12, 2021
That is the system u met in place LA CRAM LA POUR

Do u want to be the saviour to Nigerian University, I Guess NOT

Just copy and paste and graduate with a good certificate because that is what most job out there are looking For.
Re: What I Saw In National Open University. by edoairways: 10:30pm On Jul 12, 2021
phemmyfour:
Always stick to the classroom teachings
That is not education.
Re: What I Saw In National Open University. by edoairways: 10:32pm On Jul 12, 2021
WoeBetide666:
How do you know what happens in universities abroad, have you schooled there?
He doesn't need to there. I have colleagues abroad who can attest to his assertion
Re: What I Saw In National Open University. by edoairways: 10:35pm On Jul 12, 2021
Pauldollars:
[/b][b]
As much as critical thinking abilities is important for students; when it comes to exams, a lot of students will often write off-point from the main ideas or subject matter being asked. That's why its important to write what you've been taught in class. Thinking out of the box or using your creative abilities will only help you outside the school environment, in the world of science, commerce and technology.
Within the walls of an academic institution, follow the principles to achieve success or better still, open your own 'academia'.
That is not what is obtainable in other countries
Re: What I Saw In National Open University. by SILVERLINES: 1:51am On Jul 13, 2021
grin

NOUN is that one a university?

I will rather send my relatives to a skillful acquisition center than to enroll them in NOUN

NOUN is just a glorified primary school
Re: What I Saw In National Open University. by shortgun(m): 8:18pm On Jul 13, 2021
SILVERLINES:
grin

NOUN is that one a university?

I will rather send my relatives to a skillful acquisition center than to enroll them in NOUN

NOUN is just a glorified primary school
NOUN is doing far better than other universities in the country.

1 Like

Re: What I Saw In National Open University. by Elxandre(m): 11:57am On Jul 22, 2021
shortgun:

NOUN is doing far better than other universities in the country.
I'm going to surprise you and say if you get too creative even in the pop exam, you might not like your grades too. grin
Re: What I Saw In National Open University. by shortgun(m): 12:36pm On Jul 22, 2021
Elxandre:

I'm going to surprise you and say if you get too creative even in the pop exam, you might not like your grades too. grin
Sadly, this is why exam malpractices will always be on the increase.

(1) (Reply)

26-yr-old Doctor Buys Her First House In The United States / Study these courses in UNICAL without JAMB result / Things To Note About Your Admission Status On JAMB CAPS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.