Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,802 members, 7,817,328 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:22 AM

Basketball: Nigeria Win Again, Beat Argentina 94 - 71 - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Basketball: Nigeria Win Again, Beat Argentina 94 - 71 (26663 Views)

Nigeria Beat Argentina 2-0 (FIFA Under 20 World Cup) / Achilles, The Psychic Cat Predicts Nigeria Will Beat Argentina / The Moment Croatia Beat Argentina To Give Nigeria Qualification Hope (Pic Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Basketball: Nigeria Win Again, Beat Argentina 94 - 71 by Starboytwo(m): 6:54am On Jul 13, 2021
mansakhalifa:

Well, I just said that I couldn't imagine it. It's a bit awkward(to me).

One of those stereotypes.

Besides, I'm not fan of that sport. Grew up hating it. But the name Ginobili sounds kind of familiar.

Was he by any chance a contemporary of Michael Jordan, sir?

Nah he didnt play with Jordan. he played for San antonio spurs, a championship winning team around 2004/2008(not sure), i believe he was one of their best players along with Tony parker and tim duncan. funny enough that was my first foray in basketball as i do not really enjoy the sport both watching and playing. Nowadays i support the Phoenix suns,

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Basketball: Nigeria Win Again, Beat Argentina 94 - 71 by Nobody: 6:55am On Jul 13, 2021
cooltola:

Yeah I know, my point is if Nigerian can produce Hakeem OlAjuwon, how many are still in Naija undiscovered? The talent is in Naija

Basketball is not that popular in this country. Even Hakeem self played soccer/football like everyone else here growing up...basketball he took up later.

So the talent pool in Nigeria is very tiny. Unlike for football...where everyone and his brother is playing, even in the remote villages.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Basketball: Nigeria Win Again, Beat Argentina 94 - 71 by IamGreen1(f): 6:56am On Jul 13, 2021
naptu2:

He played one qualifying game and one exhibition game for Nigeria (I watched the exhibition game). He was discovered by a Nigerian coach, the legendary Ganiyu Otenigbagbe, who played for and coached the Nigerian National Team.

I never knew him prior to the documentary I recently watched though so hubby told me more about him. An average Nigerian is underutilised due to lack of enable opportunities.

cooltola:

Yeah I know, my point is if Nigerian can produce Hakeem OlAjuwon, how many are still in Naija undiscovered? The talent is in Naija

Hopefully they'll because an average opportunist Nigeria coaches will preferred being paid by a self acclaimed talented athlete or well connected person to real talented athlete.

2 Likes

Re: Basketball: Nigeria Win Again, Beat Argentina 94 - 71 by jaxxy(m): 6:58am On Jul 13, 2021
The Nigerian team is definitely good bt don’t understand estimate USA or any team especially once the competition starts.
Re: Basketball: Nigeria Win Again, Beat Argentina 94 - 71 by 27Pushing30: 6:58am On Jul 13, 2021
Mynd44:

It is sad how America lost an exhibition game and the xenophobia jumped out

What exactly is Xenophobic about smiths statement? If you usually watch the show and the guy you’ll know that’s how he usually talks and we enjoy the show cos of it.

Firstly thank God he is BLACK else he woulda had to resign

Secondly if you watched the clip you would see he was being emotional and be honest even you as a Nigerian would you have predicted our BBALL team beating the USMBT?

Thirdly the world’s just such a softie these days any small thing people begin crying ... upon all these shey racism no dey increase?

Make every drink water and calm down... he’s gonna pronounce the name wel very soon ... after we Whoop everyone’s ass and bring Olympic gold to Nigeria

4 Likes

Re: Basketball: Nigeria Win Again, Beat Argentina 94 - 71 by Topmaike007(m): 7:00am On Jul 13, 2021
Nickshrapnel:
I just want the Nigerian government and Nigerians to pay more attention to other sports and not football alone. I hardly have anyone to discuss with when it comes to other sports, all they know is football grin
though I am also a football freak, I love Basketball with passion, I followed our girls too

4 Likes

Re: Basketball: Nigeria Win Again, Beat Argentina 94 - 71 by kingxley(m): 7:04am On Jul 13, 2021
mansakhalifa:
Argentines playing B/ball sounds like a good joke to me.

smiley

I can't just imagine it. Same goes for rugby too.
lol. Ever heard of many ginobili?, Check YouTube
Re: Basketball: Nigeria Win Again, Beat Argentina 94 - 71 by Tokkson: 7:05am On Jul 13, 2021
mansakhalifa:

smiley

See how you're comfortable in your ignorance.

Argentina have won the Olympic gold medal in basketball, they've won the FIBA world cup and are currently the 4th best team in the world and they have a very strong rugby team too..

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Basketball: Nigeria Win Again, Beat Argentina 94 - 71 by techWriter2: 7:06am On Jul 13, 2021
Meanwhile the USA lost to country proportion 3 ranked Australia 91 83 today evening
Re: Basketball: Nigeria Win Again, Beat Argentina 94 - 71 by Ayo2004: 7:06am On Jul 13, 2021
God save them say Lionel Messi no play grin

1 Like

Re: Basketball: Nigeria Win Again, Beat Argentina 94 - 71 by onyeogalu1(m): 7:07am On Jul 13, 2021
mansakhalifa:

smiley

They are one of the best in the world of basketball.
Re: Basketball: Nigeria Win Again, Beat Argentina 94 - 71 by Lexusgs430: 7:10am On Jul 13, 2021
WHITELIGHTER:

Does that matter? Is Messi based in Argentina?

I am looking at the wider picture...... But I know, myopic comparisons would always be made........
Re: Basketball: Nigeria Win Again, Beat Argentina 94 - 71 by onyeogalu1(m): 7:10am On Jul 13, 2021
Mynd44:
Argentina is ranked 4th in work Basketball since Manu Ginobili and the team took the 2004 Olympic gold from the USA by defeating them in the semi-final

I followed NBA because of Manu and Tim in their days at Spurs. I love them both. Now I don't have strength to stay awake any longer
Re: Basketball: Nigeria Win Again, Beat Argentina 94 - 71 by CSTRR: 7:12am On Jul 13, 2021
mansakhalifa:

smiley

They are ranked number four in the world.
Re: Basketball: Nigeria Win Again, Beat Argentina 94 - 71 by naptu2: 7:13am On Jul 13, 2021
IamGreen1:

I never knew him prior to the documentary I recently watched though so hubby told me more about him. An average Nigerian is underutilised due to lack of enable opportunities.

Hopefully they'll because an average opportunist Nigeria coaches will preferred being paid by a self acclaimed talented athlete or well connected person to real talented athlete.

He began his basketball career in Nigeria, at Muslim Secondary School in Surulere. He was discovered by the legendary Coach Ganiyu Otenigbagbe. He played one African qualifying game for the National Team before going to the US in the early 1980s to attend the University of Houston.

He was very popular in the mid-1980s. He and Ralph Sampson were known as the Twin Towers in the Houston Rockets.

He came back to Nigeria in 1987. Nigeria had just hosted and won the African Junior Basketball Championship (AFJUBA '87) and the basketball federation organised an exhibition game between the junior and senior national teams. The junior team was preparing for the world junior championships, but I can't remember what the senior team was preparing for.

Akeem was in Nigeria at that time and he played for the junior team in the first half and the senior team in the second half. The match took place at the National Stadium, Lagos and was shown on NTA Sports Spectacular.

10 Likes

Re: Basketball: Nigeria Win Again, Beat Argentina 94 - 71 by ALABACONNECT(m): 7:15am On Jul 13, 2021
Nice....

For your UK used and new smart TV sets and soundbars, check my signature
Re: Basketball: Nigeria Win Again, Beat Argentina 94 - 71 by CSTRR: 7:16am On Jul 13, 2021
DannyWalker:

You mean Nigerian team trained by America...

A Nigerian trained team wouldn't win shit
So in football, countries should only call teams that play in their country?

It means Brazil and Argentina will become minnows.
Re: Basketball: Nigeria Win Again, Beat Argentina 94 - 71 by Nobody: 7:17am On Jul 13, 2021
mansakhalifa:

smiley

Allow me to introduce you to the PUMAS....Argentina's national rugby team...and considered to be at the level of SA, New Zealand and Australia

Highlights from their test vs SA in 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqpcDuIjgE0

2 Likes

Re: Basketball: Nigeria Win Again, Beat Argentina 94 - 71 by Trustedpronet: 7:19am On Jul 13, 2021
naptu2:
Nigerians and Americans have criticised and condemned ESPN's Stephen A. Smith for disrespecting the Nigerian players. Stephen Smith said the following on his show.

https://mobile.twitter.com/stephenasmith/status/1414620449250725893

Many Africans and Americans felt that he was disrespectful towards the Nigerians players. Some African-Americans point to the fact that Stephen Smith was forced to apologise to Asian-Americans yesterday after he said that baseball pitcher, Shohei Ohtani, who is Japanese, should not be the face of the Major League Baseball because of his Japanese heritage. However, he has refused to apologise to Kwame Brown after making fun of his name and now he is disrespecting the Nigerian team. They say that this shows that he does not respect Africans.

If you no respect yourself who wan respect you!
Re: Basketball: Nigeria Win Again, Beat Argentina 94 - 71 by sholly28(m): 7:35am On Jul 13, 2021
Congrat guys. Go and continue this in the olympic
Re: Basketball: Nigeria Win Again, Beat Argentina 94 - 71 by seguntijan(m): 7:36am On Jul 13, 2021
there is no quota system in the selection of the team so they are bound to win

2 Likes

Re: Basketball: Nigeria Win Again, Beat Argentina 94 - 71 by trevorhorace(m): 7:38am On Jul 13, 2021
grin the truth is most are mba a players who desperately want Olympics caps added to their CV. They even went to the extent of sponsoring themselves, buying their own tickets, paying themselves and all. We all know our shitty basketball academies can establish these talents. So it's just a symbiotic relationship btwn country and the American based players.
Re: Basketball: Nigeria Win Again, Beat Argentina 94 - 71 by zedegit: 7:48am On Jul 13, 2021
They should have included Messi.
Re: Basketball: Nigeria Win Again, Beat Argentina 94 - 71 by CUMIN: 7:51am On Jul 13, 2021
Sunnypa11:
Atlanta 1996 2.0 victory loading with this Obodo Oyinbo Basketball team.

See the gap na.

The future of Nigerian sports is foreign.

Basketball, Football, Boxing, Tennis and Athletics.

The future of Nigeria politics is foreign...M.C. oluomo children are already graduate.

They are your future governor.
If Amaju Pinnick and Sunday Dare like, they should be mounting unnecessary pressure on Rohr to be inviting their less talented home based players.
Re: Basketball: Nigeria Win Again, Beat Argentina 94 - 71 by zedegit: 7:53am On Jul 13, 2021
kingxley:
lol. Ever heard of many ginobili?, Check YouTube

Oga, I googled it and found this...

Re: Basketball: Nigeria Win Again, Beat Argentina 94 - 71 by naptu2: 7:53am On Jul 13, 2021
The US coach got into a heated exchange with a reporter after their game with Australia.

The reporter asked a player how he felt having seen previous US teams blow out opponents at competitions and now the current team is struggling.

The coach came back to that question later and said that there was no blowing out of oppositions in previous tournaments. He said that there have been difficult matches against opponents in the past (the journalist wanted to interrupt him, but he insisted that the journalist should let him finish), yes there have been one or two games where they blew away teams, but the majority of the games have been difficult and foreign teams are also good.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/1414798501427490819
Re: Basketball: Nigeria Win Again, Beat Argentina 94 - 71 by authority2006(m): 8:19am On Jul 13, 2021
IamGreen1:
When real sport (Olympic) start now they may fumble. You people should stop hyping them before it enter their heads o :-

In the meantime, let's enjoy this moment.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Basketball: Nigeria Win Again, Beat Argentina 94 - 71 by aryzgreat: 8:21am On Jul 13, 2021
Biafra boys team

When merit is enshrined, we know who will always come out tops with best results

With quota system, the likes of Buhari emerges

2 Likes

Re: Basketball: Nigeria Win Again, Beat Argentina 94 - 71 by IamGreen1(f): 8:34am On Jul 13, 2021
naptu2:

He began his basketball career in Nigeria, at Muslim Secondary School in Surulere. He was discovered by the legendary Coach Ganiyu Otenigbagbe. He played one African qualifying game for the National Team before going to the US in the early 1980s to attend the University of Houston.

He was very popular in the mid-1980s. He and Ralph Sampson were known as the Twin Towers in the Houston Rockets.

He came back to Nigeria in 1987. Nigeria had just hosted and won the African Junior Basketball Championship (AFJUBA '87) and the basketball federation organised an exhibition game between the junior and senior national teams. The junior team was preparing for the world junior championships, but I can't remember what the senior team was preparing for.

Akeem was in Nigeria at that time and he played for the junior team in the first half and the senior team in the second half. The match took place at the National Stadium, Lagos and was shown on NTA Sports Spectacular.

Wow, thanks for sharing this

1 Like

Re: Basketball: Nigeria Win Again, Beat Argentina 94 - 71 by geemd434: 8:45am On Jul 13, 2021
daddytime:
What the foot can not do, the hand is doing it.

All na ball.

Bring on England...make we colonize them for once.

My guy you too much. For God sake lets teach England English
Re: Basketball: Nigeria Win Again, Beat Argentina 94 - 71 by fredoooooo: 8:47am On Jul 13, 2021
Haha!!! we beat US and Argentina...
Omo mehn
Re: Basketball: Nigeria Win Again, Beat Argentina 94 - 71 by Masterito(m): 8:49am On Jul 13, 2021
Only if you know how good they are.
mansakhalifa:

smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Fifa World Cup Qatar 2022 Round Of 16 Fixtures / Infantino With Ifeanyi Ubah: As FIFA Keys Into ‘Football Made In Anambra’ / Roman Abramovich Has Dished Out £112.5M In Compensation To Sacked Chelsea Bosses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.