Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,712 members, 7,851,423 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 07:00 PM

Nairaland Parents: Will You Allow This? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Nairaland Parents: Will You Allow This? (971 Views)

Most Parents Will End Up In Hell: A Must Read / Will You Allow Your Wife Use intimacy gadgets When You Are Away? / Nairaland Parents: Will You Allow This? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nairaland Parents: Will You Allow This? by zayzee(f): 4:01pm On May 11, 2011
I posted this on the education thread but I think I will get more response here.

As a parent, will you allow your child to attend a Technical College in Nigeria? If yes or no, why? And will you agree to attend a technical college if you were/are a secondary school student?
Re: Nairaland Parents: Will You Allow This? by Blazay(m): 7:47pm On May 11, 2011
If that is all his/her brains can handle. . . then why not? undecided
Must every child go to "Havard"?

My brains are not the 'technical' school materials.

More of the 'analytical' kinds. So, I never gravitated towards anything 'technical' including FaceBook!
Re: Nairaland Parents: Will You Allow This? by Sissy3(f): 9:01pm On May 11, 2011
what is a technical college? is it like a vocational school?
Re: Nairaland Parents: Will You Allow This? by OAM4J: 5:25am On May 12, 2011
~Sissy~:

what is a technical college? is it like a vocational school?

Yup
Re: Nairaland Parents: Will You Allow This? by Odunnu: 5:45am On May 12, 2011
There's nothing wrong in it nah.
Re: Nairaland Parents: Will You Allow This? by horny4u(f): 7:07am On May 12, 2011
No I have good genes brain wise
Re: Nairaland Parents: Will You Allow This? by ifyalways(f): 8:38am On May 12, 2011
^I don't get u?Technical schools are for people with "lesser brain"

@Topic,Yes I would.All the way from the scratch to the top.I think most of us are just replying without really knowing what "Technical school" is.Technical school ain't same with Vocational school.Technical sch(Nigerian standard) is just like secondary sch.,they write same WAEC after 6 yrs then proceed to the Uni.The only diffrence with Tech. sch is that nurturing talents and skills are their priority as against Arithimetic,reading and writing(normal secondary sch).

The added advantage of attending a tech. sch is that on graduating,the child is capable of working &earning income.
I believe the onus of the whole thing is how far the child goes.Some kids after tech. sch. starts making cash and forget abt going to the Uni.

Below are some of the differences btwn a child that stopped at Tech sch and one  that went to Uni :
Technical sch.                                                           University
Electrician                                                             elect. Engineer
Mechanic                                                                Mech. Engineer 
Drawing                                                                Fine and applied arts.
cheesy
Re: Nairaland Parents: Will You Allow This? by ifyalways(f): 8:52am On May 12, 2011
@OAM4Mukina,Vocational schools are just what they are. .vocations.They are not included in either WAEC,NECO or GCE syllabus or plans.

You go in,learn a Vocation and zoom out.examples are :cake making institutes,Milinery schools,school of fashion and designing(Mukina graduated from 1)LOL etc.

ps:Im mobile,beware of typo's.
Re: Nairaland Parents: Will You Allow This? by Nobody: 8:55am On May 12, 2011
angry The name is OAM4jenny Dammit
Re: Nairaland Parents: Will You Allow This? by Odunnu: 9:25am On May 12, 2011
@Ify: graduates from technical schs dont write WAEC, they write NABTEB which universities recognise too.
Re: Nairaland Parents: Will You Allow This? by ifyalways(f): 9:50am On May 12, 2011
@Odunnu,noted and thanks.Still remains that our educational system contains them and one can advance without hitches from there to the University.

Jenny,lol.Last I checked,Mukina is the man dish,you appetizer and ur twin BB,dessert.

Finally @ Topic,Sagamite as refined as he(debatable) is,is a proud product of Technical college.Not forgetting Dayo and Debosky,both were together at "Baba Suwe Technical" Olorinsogbo.LOL
Re: Nairaland Parents: Will You Allow This? by Ojumiii(m): 10:35am On May 12, 2011
Y not, if it properly funded every child should be encourage to attend a technical college.
Re: Nairaland Parents: Will You Allow This? by dani1luv: 12:43pm On May 12, 2011
undecided
Re: Nairaland Parents: Will You Allow This? by zayhal(f): 1:17pm On May 12, 2011
The issue with technical schools is that people have seen those who go there as mediocre. And mostly, parents only send those of their children who aren't performing well academically in their regular schools there. I'm yet to see a parent, or even a child who willingly chooses to go to a technical school except for the reason of not performing well in the 'real school'.

And again, most of the kids you find there are usually teenagers who are almost past secondary school age, mostly cousins, nieces, nephews brought from villages by one philanthropic aunt or uncle to just have a form of formal education.

With all these in mind, I won't send my kids to a technical school. No no no.

I stand to be corrected though.
Re: Nairaland Parents: Will You Allow This? by maclatunji: 2:20pm On May 12, 2011
ifyalways:

@OAM4Mukina,Vocational schools are just what they are. .vocations.They are not included in either WAEC,NECO or GCE syllabus or plans.

You go in,learn a Vocation and zoom out.examples are :cake making institutes,Milinery schools,school of fashion and designing(Mukina graduated from 1)LOL etc.

ps:Im mobile,beware of typo's.

Madam take am easy with generalization. What do you think NABTEB is there for. Abeg visit their website to be better informed. You can make it from technical school straight into university. http://www.nabtebnigeria.org/
Re: Nairaland Parents: Will You Allow This? by zayzee(f): 5:27pm On May 12, 2011
Interesting guys. I interviewed the Executive Secretary of the Lasgos State Vocational and Technical Education Board (LASTVEB) today because of the story on technical schools i am doing and i was impressed. there are a lot we dont know about these schools. students are been recruited from their second year before they graduate by organisations in search of their skills and sending them on more training. and yes, some of them proceed to the university. they do not write WAEC but NABTEB- National Business and Technical Education Board exams and their certificate is NTC- National Technical Certificate. So they go into the university with five credits also namely- maths, physis, chemistry, biology and any of their hand work they choose.

and in reality, many of us have flair for hand work but weren't encouraged by our parents to pursue them. another reason why so many are unemployed, today we have a lot of graduates going back to pursue their dreams that involve handwork. my father insisted i must study medicine because i was good at the sciences he forced me to take instead of arts, but i am not a doctor today but a writer and journalist and recently, i have been yearning to go learn fashion designing. I pray for this country everyday. I do want a better place for my children.
Re: Nairaland Parents: Will You Allow This? by NoQualms1(f): 7:53pm On May 12, 2011
IMO, it's just like attending a polytechnic and getting an OND. It's cool sha but there may be no need to send my child to one, except if he/she wants to.
Re: Nairaland Parents: Will You Allow This? by ifyalways(f): 7:58pm On May 12, 2011
maclatunji:

Madam take am easy with generalization. What do you think NABTEB is there for. Abeg visit their website to be better informed. You can make it from technical school straight into university. http://www.nabtebnigeria.org/
Oga what are u saying

It's mischievous to quote someone when clearly you did not bother reading the person's post. undecided

Did i say anything contrary anywhere?

(1) (Reply)

Child Abuse.....what Would You Do? / Please Help ! / Should A Man Ask For His Woman's Password Just To Snoop/check Her Faithfulness?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.