Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,165 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:59 AM

Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Read novels? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Read novels? (293 Views)

6 Animals That Nigerians See As Evil / List Of Fully Funded Scholarships That Nigerians Can Currently Apply For / 10 Grammatical Blunders That Nigerians Make Regularly That Have Become Normal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Read novels? by siofra(f): 7:54pm On Jul 14, 2021
I've noticed that Nigerians don't read novels and I wonder why.

And when I asked some of them they said they only read self help books and motivational books undecided
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Read novels? by MadamVanessa(f): 7:59pm On Jul 14, 2021
This new generation of writers are so wack.
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Read novels? by macrodata(m): 8:05pm On Jul 14, 2021
After reading all the mishaps of Nigeria on NL, who cares about some fantasy book on a dusty shelf?

Truth is, mobile devices have far more information on personal interests than a novel or any form of paperbacks.
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Read novels? by temitope27(m): 8:16pm On Jul 14, 2021
Who novel help
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Read novels? by Conner44: 8:27pm On Jul 14, 2021
nigerians read novels, it is just the new generation kids that do not have any interst in paperbacks at all.

it is easy to spot them here, they are tbose ones that write "i am" as "am"

very annoying thing

1 Like

Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Read novels? by siofra(f): 8:35pm On Jul 14, 2021
Conner44:
nigerians read novels, it is just the new generation kids that do not have any interst in paperbacks at all.

it is easy to spot them here, they are tbose ones that write "i am" as "am"

very annoying thing

Lol
I too have noticed that I'm fast finding it hard to focus on paperback books, the only paperback books I can still focus on are novels. When preparing for exams I'd rather watch videos of the course on YouTube than my textbooks. But the thing is it helps me a lot because I absorb information faster that way.
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Read novels? by Conner44: 8:42pm On Jul 14, 2021
siofra:

Lol
I too have noticed that I'm fast finding it hard to focus on paperback books, the only paperback books I can still focus on are novels. When preparing for exams I'd rather watch videos of the course on YouTube than my textbooks. But the thing is it helps me a lot because I absorb information faster that way.

yes studying over the internet or digitally with videos is relatively new as it came with advancement in technology and is designed to make it 'easier' and sometimes faster for people to study but it has its own drawbacks.

you wont be able to properly assimilate the way words are stringed together or spelled in most cases and then there is the issue of not being able to see a wider picture of the subject you are studying at a glance like in videos where you rewind/fastforward to see stuff you missed (plus you cant slow down a video tutorial effectively ) unlike paperbacks that you can just turn a few pages back and slowly read whatever you really missed at a pace which is suitable for your own particular brain to process.

notwitstanding, both forms of reading is nice but videos are generally made at a universal speed which many people cant keep up with unlike reading words which you take in at your own individual pace.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Read novels? by Nobody: 9:26pm On Jul 14, 2021
siofra:
I've noticed that Nigerians don't read novels and I wonder why.

And when I asked some of them they said they only read self help books and motivational books undecided

First paragraph sounds like a hasty generalisation at best...

If I can chirp in...

Personally, I don't read novels but I know a whole lot of souls who do, most of them female folk(cousins, friends, ex-classmates etc etc etc). They're sure Nigerians, you know?

Novels still get a lot of the girls.

1 Like

Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Read novels? by traihit: 9:36pm On Jul 14, 2021
Conner44:

yes studying over the internet or digitally with videos is relatively new as it came with advancement in technology and is designed to make it 'easier' and sometimes faster for people to study but it has its own drawbacks.

you wont be able to properly assimilate the way words are stringed together or spelled in most cases and then there is the issue of not being able to see a wider picture of the subject you are studying at a glance like in videos where you rewind/fastforward to see stuff you missed (plus you cant slow down a video tutorial effectively ) unlike paperbacks that you can just turn a few pages back and slowly read whatever you really missed at a pace which is suitable for your own particular brain to process.

notwitstanding, both forms of reading is nice but videos are generally made at a universal speed which many people cant keep up with unlike reading words which you take in at your own individual pace.

The environment I grew up didn't give me access to a lot of books but I love exploring and so in the time of BlackBerry phones, I got a Curve 2 and downloaded most of Dan Brown's books on it and that was the start of reading electronic books for me. I had hundreds of books I could never have accessed.

However, I prefer hardcover textbooks or course materials to soft copies while I mostly read all other books on my device. And it's not really because I'm lazy to read hardcover but anywhere I go, I can always read from my phone and yet, it hasn't turn me to using 'am' where I should have used 'I'm'. It all depends on you.
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Read novels? by criuze(m): 10:05pm On Jul 14, 2021
Nothing will resolve my library
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Read novels? by 1MILLIONLiGHTS(m): 11:01pm On Jul 14, 2021
Unputdownable novels still dey exist? Will I get paid to read them? I still wonder where some folks get inspiration to compose/read novels in this depressed naija.
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Read novels? by Conner44: 11:16pm On Jul 14, 2021
traihit:

The environment I grew up didn't give me access to a lot of books but I love exploring and so in the time of BlackBerry phones, I got a Curve 2 and downloaded most of Dan Brown's books on it and that was the start of reading electronic books for me. I had hundreds of books I could never have accessed.

However, I prefer hardcover textbooks or course materials to soft copies while I mostly read all other books on my device. And it's not really because I'm lazy to read hardcover but anywhere I go, I can always read from my phone and yet, it hasn't turn me to using 'am' where I should have used 'I'm'. It all depends on you.

sir, in your case at least you realized a passion in actually reading novels albiet in an unconventional manner (ie. on an electronic gadget) and in that moment you will start making grammatical corrections in your everyday writing vocabulary as a reflex because you have read the proper use of words and their spellings too on those same novels. it is also a fact that people who read novels have greater imaginative abilities than those who do not.

why i like paperback novels is because once you start reading any one and it is an interesting book you will immediately get pulled into the plot and it would feel like a new surreal experience for you as you would even mimik the characters speech and your imagination will be fired up in waysbyou never knew before.

take for instance, the difference between the paperback versions of popular movies like harry potter, lord of the rings etc, if you took out time to actually read the books you will find out that the movies were a bit disappointing as many scenes and major cameos were cut out just to make the view time under 2 to 3 hours for cinemas.

i love paperbacks a lot, i prefer it to digital copies because that phone, pc or kindle you are using to read have other apps that can distract you. i can read a 1,000 page novel under 48hrs so far it is an interesting title.

but that is just me

1 Like

Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Read novels? by Nobody: 1:28am On Jul 15, 2021
I still read a lot! ...coolval and youngicee are still my best companion s
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Read novels? by siofra(f): 7:25am On Jul 15, 2021
michael77777:
I still read a lot! ...coolval and youngicee are still my best companion s

Good for you sir please keep it up. I can't be feeling like the only one who still reads novels in this country.

Makes me feel old.

(1) (Reply)

AKSU Vice Chancellor Visited The Protest Ground With DSS And SSS / How To Say Goodbye In Spoken English / UNIBEN Students Appeal To “Madam VC” On Extension Of School Fee Payment Deadline

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.