Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,227 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:02 AM

Reps To Pass Electoral Bill Today, Panel Pegs Presidential Poll Expenses At N5bn - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reps To Pass Electoral Bill Today, Panel Pegs Presidential Poll Expenses At N5bn (13685 Views)

Gov. Akeredolu To Sign Anti-Open Grazing Bill Today / 2023 Polls: NASS Under Pressure To Pass Electoral Act Amendment Bill / President Buhari To Sign ‘not Too Young To Run’ Bill Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reps To Pass Electoral Bill Today, Panel Pegs Presidential Poll Expenses At N5bn by Kachiokafor: 6:22am On Jul 15, 2021
The House of Representatives is billed to pass amendments to the Electoral Act, 2010 today (Thursday) barring any last-minute change in plan.

The Committee on Electoral Matters laid its report on the Electoral Act, 2010 (Amendment) Bill at the plenary on Wednesday.

The Chairman of the committee, Aisha Dukku, prayed the House to receive the report on: ‘A Bill for an Act to Repeal the Electoral Act No. 6, 2010, and enact the Electoral Act, 2021, to Regulate the Conduct of Federal, State and Area Councils in the Federal Capital Territory Elections; and for Related Matters.’

The bill was referred to the committee on November 24, 2020.
The Speaker, Femi Gbajabiamila; and Chairman of the House Committee on Media and Public Affairs, Benjamin Kalu, had separately stated that the bill would be passed before the National Assembly embarks on its two-month annual recess, which begins today (Thursday).

In the report, a copy of which was obtained by our correspondent on Wednesday, the committee recommended that electronic voting and transmission of results should be left at the discretion of the Independent National Electoral Commission.

Section 48(2) of the bill reads, “Voting at an election and transmission of result under this bill shall be in accordance with the procedure determined by the commission.”
Several members of the House, who were contacted after plenary, said they had yet to receive a copy of the bill to confirm the final recommendations.

One of them, who spoke to our correspondent around 9pm, said, “Let me tell you what I know: it is the Senate’s version that has the provision ‘shall not’. The version of the House was silent on that and only gave INEC the discretion to either go electronic or not. The Senate version specifically barred INEC from electronic transmission. I know that for certain.”

Section 50(2) of a leaked version of the bill had generated wide criticisms
The section states that INEC could make use of electronic voting, but it should not transfer the results by electronic means.

The section reads, “Voting at an election under this bill shall be in accordance with the procedure determined by the commission, which may include electronic voting, provided that the commission shall not transmit results of elections by electronic means.”
Section 87 reads, “(1) Election expenses shall not exceed the sum stipulated in subsections (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) and (7).

“(2) The maximum election expenses to be incurred by a candidate at a presidential election shall not exceed N5,000,000,000.00.

“(3) The maximum amount of election expenses to be incurred by a candidate in respect of the governorship election shall not exceed N1,000,000,000.00.

“(4) The maximum amount of election expenses to be incurred by a candidate in respect of senatorial and House of Representatives seats shall not exceed N100,000,000.00 and N70,000,000.00, respectively.

“(5) In the case of a state Assembly election, the maximum amount of election expenses to be incurred by a candidate shall not exceed N30,000,000.00.

“(6) In the case of a chairmanship election to an area council, the maximum amount of election expenses to be incurred by a candidate shall not exceed N30,000,000.00.

“(7) In the case of councillorship election to an area council, the maximum amount of election expenses to be incurred by a candidate shall not exceed N5,000,000.00.

“(cool No individual or other entity shall donate to a candidate more than N50,000,000.00.”
Meanwhile, the House also on Thursday reconsidered two bills from the preceding 8th National Assembly. These are the Electoral Offences Commission (Establishment) Bill, 2020 (HB. 753); and Harmonised Retirement Age for Teachers in Nigeria Bill, 2020 (HB. 1340).

https://punchng.com/reps-to-pass-electoral-bill-today-panel-pegs-presidential-poll-expenses-at-n5bn/?utm_source=telegram&utm_medium=social

1 Like

Re: Reps To Pass Electoral Bill Today, Panel Pegs Presidential Poll Expenses At N5bn by Bola146(f): 6:29am On Jul 15, 2021
cry
Re: Reps To Pass Electoral Bill Today, Panel Pegs Presidential Poll Expenses At N5bn by eyenogoquiet(m): 6:29am On Jul 15, 2021
Electoral bill that will always seek to Favour their ambitions and not my vote and yours. Na later I go read know wetin e carry for belle

22 Likes

Re: Reps To Pass Electoral Bill Today, Panel Pegs Presidential Poll Expenses At N5bn by yanabasee1(m): 6:50am On Jul 15, 2021
Hmmm........

With all the sim registrations we've been doing.... We can literally be voting by sms...

We should maintain a standard of voting and not spend too much money to elect old and senile men to be driving us backward ..

26 Likes

Re: Reps To Pass Electoral Bill Today, Panel Pegs Presidential Poll Expenses At N5bn by BruncleZuma: 6:55am On Jul 15, 2021
grin grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reps To Pass Electoral Bill Today, Panel Pegs Presidential Poll Expenses At N5bn by Eriggs: 6:55am On Jul 15, 2021
Here we go

1 Like

Re: Reps To Pass Electoral Bill Today, Panel Pegs Presidential Poll Expenses At N5bn by Zico5(m): 6:55am On Jul 15, 2021
They always pass the bill that favour them. When will they pass the bill that favour the masses. The debt is accumulating on daily basis, there is no bill to see to the management of government borrowing. How will this country grow? They keep on pushing the masses to the brim. Buhari is truly a calamity. The person we voted is truly the wrong candidate.

1 Like

Re: Reps To Pass Electoral Bill Today, Panel Pegs Presidential Poll Expenses At N5bn by Judolisco(m): 6:55am On Jul 15, 2021
5 billion... Dis guys are thieves

3 Likes

Re: Reps To Pass Electoral Bill Today, Panel Pegs Presidential Poll Expenses At N5bn by Nobody: 6:55am On Jul 15, 2021
5bn expenses and later we say they won't loot their money back..
Lmao

2 Likes

Re: Reps To Pass Electoral Bill Today, Panel Pegs Presidential Poll Expenses At N5bn by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:56am On Jul 15, 2021
(2) The maximum election expenses to be incurred by a candidate at a presidential election shall not exceed N5,000,000,000.00.

“(3) The maximum amount of election expenses to be incurred by a candidate in respect of the governorship election shall not exceed N1,000,000,000.00.
5 BILLION and 1 BILLION to contest for an election all because they want to serve the people?
Na by force to serve the masses
No wonder they get to the post and start stealing and looting.

May all politicians that have stolen from our National Treasury never end well in their lives, (no matter the political party they are ), along with their online and offline supporters, who have collected or collecting any single kobo from such criminals.
Bad end await such people.

Posterity will judge us all.

The Change we all want begins with us,
The reasonable and sane youths should start exposing all manner of corruption going on in their various constituency, starting from your ward and local government,
#BeLikeDemMANNA and other sane Nigerians and expose looters.

https://fb.watch/6DnuD6W-fl/

MISSCONGENIALITY:
I don't understand. All this millions and billions what will it be spent on? Is on printing and erecting billboards or standing and promising lies or sharing 1k to yourths to gather at a field and hail them. What exactly is the money going to be spent on cos I don't understand how someone will spend 5b. where will the person get if from. How won't they have godfather's who will sponsor them and decide what goes on the the state of nation? How can someone that has never stolen government money before genuinely raise that amounth of money and won't go in to steal? No wonder they loot and loot till they start looting from the national reserve.
Tufiakwa this country.
It is always good and refreshing to see we still have reasonable and sensible members like you on this forum ma.
With youths like you, the future of this country is bright.
We love people that condemn all manner of corruption and evil without any party affiliation.
God bless you immensely.
Posterity will judge us all.

We Rise!

6 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Reps To Pass Electoral Bill Today, Panel Pegs Presidential Poll Expenses At N5bn by Stephenabudu960(m): 6:56am On Jul 15, 2021
undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Reps To Pass Electoral Bill Today, Panel Pegs Presidential Poll Expenses At N5bn by Temptee101(m): 6:56am On Jul 15, 2021
5 BILLION shocked
Re: Reps To Pass Electoral Bill Today, Panel Pegs Presidential Poll Expenses At N5bn by NwaEzefuNaMba(m): 6:57am On Jul 15, 2021
I will continue to maintain my stand on Electronic transmission of results; i will never support such, at least not till measures are put in place to avoid compromise (such measures won't come today, definitely)
The amended bill is way to go, hopefully the senate do justice to it too with speed of light.

The most People that will come here to read and criticize the house for this bill are mostly the online bandits of PDP descendants, forgetting that this bill has been in the house since Jonathan era as an acting president till date; their hero spent 5yrs on this bill and couldn't pass it. But they are coming to attack those who have the willingness to pass the bill.

And please, if you have not read the content of this bill don't quote me.
Re: Reps To Pass Electoral Bill Today, Panel Pegs Presidential Poll Expenses At N5bn by yanabasee1(m): 6:58am On Jul 15, 2021
Miscaramel:
If you're not scared yet, it is not too late. As for me and my family if you see us in Naija once every ten years we have even tried. Run away today today. These people don't care about you.

Truly, this country doesn't care about it's citizen....

3 Likes

Re: Reps To Pass Electoral Bill Today, Panel Pegs Presidential Poll Expenses At N5bn by Futurecrypto1: 6:58am On Jul 15, 2021
If you want to earn money online check my signature,all you have to do is roll every hour to earn. I have received payment from the site. You just have to be patient and consistent
Re: Reps To Pass Electoral Bill Today, Panel Pegs Presidential Poll Expenses At N5bn by Hangulsaram: 6:58am On Jul 15, 2021
Why spending a whooping 30m in ordinary LG election?
Re: Reps To Pass Electoral Bill Today, Panel Pegs Presidential Poll Expenses At N5bn by Seniorwriter(m): 6:59am On Jul 15, 2021
I have my eagle eye on this bill-process though I'm sure I'll be disappointed.
Nothing seems to arouse my joy as related to this present clueless terrorists & debt infested political leadership class.

Just wow to the way these people just dish out humongous amounts for electoral processes in a country as weak in finance and still borrowing.

We need young visionary leadership.

@Seniorwriter
Re: Reps To Pass Electoral Bill Today, Panel Pegs Presidential Poll Expenses At N5bn by Ceenachi: 6:59am On Jul 15, 2021
Thank GOD, one year and few months left for these political yahoo men we have as a leaders
Re: Reps To Pass Electoral Bill Today, Panel Pegs Presidential Poll Expenses At N5bn by Dannyset(m): 6:59am On Jul 15, 2021
angry

Jesters

Re: Reps To Pass Electoral Bill Today, Panel Pegs Presidential Poll Expenses At N5bn by Stan2330(m): 7:00am On Jul 15, 2021
Of what use is 2023 elections if the results cannot be transmitted electronically?
Do we really want to move forward in this country?
Re: Reps To Pass Electoral Bill Today, Panel Pegs Presidential Poll Expenses At N5bn by HornyTave: 7:00am On Jul 15, 2021
If the North really has more eligible voters, why are they against electronic transmission of votes?
The earliest the South knows they are more in numbers, the soonest the asslicking would stop.

1 Like

Re: Reps To Pass Electoral Bill Today, Panel Pegs Presidential Poll Expenses At N5bn by redcliff: 7:01am On Jul 15, 2021
yanabasee1:
Hmmm........

With all the sim registrations we've been doing.... We can literally be voting by sms...

We should maintain a standard of voting and not spend too much money to elect old and senile men to be driving us backward ..

voting by sms would be the worst thing that can happen to our electoral process. however, we should be using blockchain to vote in nigeria, this should be linked to a database such as NIN, however, nin is useless and needs to be scrapped, a more centralized database devoid of politics should be created to oversee the proper management of data of every single Nigerian.

1 Like

Re: Reps To Pass Electoral Bill Today, Panel Pegs Presidential Poll Expenses At N5bn by Seun4FastLoans(f): 7:01am On Jul 15, 2021
Okay

Do you have an LPO / invoice and need some finance? Call me please
Re: Reps To Pass Electoral Bill Today, Panel Pegs Presidential Poll Expenses At N5bn by ArewaNightmare: 7:01am On Jul 15, 2021
grin Bunch of clowns trying to always decieve the gullible ,they'll still go against this law and head to court for a different interpretations to the highest bidder especially if you're from APC FACTION

Spit on Buhari's scrotum #tueeh

Re: Reps To Pass Electoral Bill Today, Panel Pegs Presidential Poll Expenses At N5bn by whela(m): 7:02am On Jul 15, 2021
Isn't that too much? Election that would eventually be rigged

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lagos Building Demolitions Not Targeted At Igbo – Ohanaeze / Snatched Mace: APC Condemns Attack On Senate / How I Will Defeat Buhari — Kingsley Moghalu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.