Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,598 members, 7,809,168 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:40 AM

Five Years After, Victims Of Collapsed Church Wait For Help That May Never Come - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Five Years After, Victims Of Collapsed Church Wait For Help That May Never Come (231 Views)

Living Faith Church Wukari, Taraba State Building Collapsed! / Funeral Mass For The Victims Of The St Francis Catholic Church, Owo Holds Today / Sinach Welcomes First Baby Five Years After Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Five Years After, Victims Of Collapsed Church Wait For Help That May Never Come by eeetuk(m): 11:09am On Jul 18, 2021
INVESTIGATIONS
Five Years After, Victims Of Collapsed Church Wait For Help That May Never Come
By ANIEFIOK UDONQUAK, Politics & Economy EditorSun, Jul 18, 2021

The collapsed building
Five years after a church packed full worshippers in an uncompleted structure gave way during a high profile celebration attended by politicians and businessmen, men, women, youths, the young and the elderly, killing unspecified number of worshipers in Uyo, in the Niger Delta region of Nigeria, the survivors have recounted their ordeal of neglect and abandonment.

The location of the church as it was found out was in a government reserved area, a forestry zone meant for the preservation of the special species of the ecosystem in the area and for the sustenance of the environment. As it was also found out, the church authorities had cut corners in securing approval for the building permit in an area that was not meant for any physical structure.

Church founder, Apostle Akan Weeks, known for his designer suits was to be consecrated an Archbishop and he had extended the invitation to the top and invited dignitaries to the ceremony to be held in his church which was still under construction with heavy iron rods and iron bars.

The ceremony came six months after a general elections in the country in which new governors were elected, including the governor of Akwa Ibom State, Governor Udom Emmanuel, a former banker who was eager to identity with church leaders who later came to be part of the community of Fathers of Faith, a group of leaders who have come to exercise much influence in the governance of the state.

The government white paper on the disaster in which many were killed, several injured and the governor narrowly escaped death had been issued after a judicial commission of inquiry which recommended the prosecution of the church founder, the demolition of the buildings in the area to restore the area to its original plan, it was silent on the victims of the disaster. While top government officials were treated free of charge by the state government in hospitals within and outside the country, the ordinary people were left to cater for themselves.

"The incident happened on December 10, 2016 and I first regained consciousness on January 1, 2017. I could not carry my body, my ankle was completely detached, my hip joint was pulled out, my ribs were cracked. I never thought I would survive, but thank God for life, I was revived in a private clinic in Uyo for 3 weeks., said Akan Akanuwah, a middle-aged man who was one of the countless victims of the tragedy.

"When I was taken to University of Uyo (UUTH) on a stretcher, the Head of Orthopedic, Dr Notish said he could not handle my case. I was taken to a private hospital in Ikot Ekpene where a certain Dr Essien, a 75 year old American trained doctor, rescued me," he stated.

Akpanuwah, who now walks with the crutches and hails from Itu Local government area of the state said the Akwa Ibom government has abandoned him after an initial payment for his medical bills, adding that he was alive and able to walk with an aid due to the financial support from family, friends and Church members.

Akpanuwah, who suffered hip bone and ankle dislocation among other injuries during the incident, said the injuries have drained his savings and resources and four major surgeries.

"From what I gathered, because the government dealt directly with my doctor, they paid part of my hospital bills which was about N6.5 million. I learnt they paid about N3 million. My Church, family and friends footed a greater part of the bill.

"The N6.5 million is just what I paid for the four major surgeries that have been done on my leg. I was in the hospital for over a year and each night was N10,000. I know what I have spent. I was completely smashed. My whole body was paralyzed.

"When I was taken to the University of Uyo (UUTH) on a stretcher, the Head of Orthopedic said he could not handle my case and I was taken to a private hospital in Ikot Ekpene where my case was handled.

Akpanuwah, a businessman who said he lost all he had just to pay his medical bills, revealed that he still needed to undergo other surgeries because his ribs were affected in the accident.

According to him, some victims have been incapacitated for life adding that he has been abandoned both by the state government and the authorities of the collapsed church.

"I have lost all I ever had as a young man. I still need surgeries because I still have iron in my ankle, hip; my ribs need attention. So many people who did not die during the incident are dead because of lack and negligence on the part of the government. They are supposed to cater for our welfare.

"I'm only being lucky. Some of the victims are permanently incapacitated, so they need care. When I go to court, which I intend to, that is when they will know that we need care".

Akpanuwah expressed displeasure at the state government for exonerating Apostle Akan Weeks from blame, saying as a result, the man was not remorseful, and called for the white paper on the matter to be made public.

"From what I learnt, the government is hiding the white paper which is not supposed to be a hidden document. I am planning to go to court on the matter but my lawyer says I should hold on until I recover fully. He has assured me that if the case is taken to court, the white paper will be produced.

"Because of the government's interest, they are hiding the white paper and only published the part that favoured them because of that, the man (Akan Weeks) has not shown any remorse. I am told the white paper really indicted him.

"He is the one that told the workers to remove the pillars that held the beam of the building against the advice of an engineer. He has not shown remorse or empathy in any way. I will take him to court," he insisted.

Another victim, who works with the media crew of the state government, says he felt disappointed by the way the state government has abandoned the victims, saying the state government was only interested in paying the hospital bills of top government officials.

"I was reluctant to speak on the issue due to the neglect by the government.

"Government only paid attention to some of those government functionaries affected by the tragedy, adding that the White paper over the incident has yet to be released by the state government..

"From that time and now, I have spent more than N3 million on hospital bills and drugs to maintain myself. However, I thank God I am alive today to give this account; the government has not done well, go and tell them," he stated.

Governor Udom Emmanuel who was at the event later set up a Commission of Inquiry to look into the matter, though the commission has since submitted its report, the state government has yet to make it public.

Clifford Thomas, National Coordinator, Akwa Ibom Human Rights Community and lawyer who represented the victims, Clifford Thomas, said the outcome of the Commission of Inquiry was a sad reminder of the failure of the government to guarantee the welfare of its people.

Thomas, who claimed that about 100 lost their lives with many left injured, expressed dismay that the government has failed to give succour to many of those affected.

"The amount of money raised to support the victims was through voluntary donations from the public and some of the victims with serious injuries were later sent out of the government hospital where they were treated by the hospital management."

Many of those affected had to resort to traditional medicine to treat themselves because they were poor and afraid to challenge the government for exonerating Apostle Akan Weeks, the founder of the collapsed church.

"Akwa Ibom Human Rights Community is calling for the review of the report of the Commission of enquiry into the Reigners Bible Church collapse to accommodate those who died, those who were left behind and those who were injured," he maintained.

Mr Franklin Isong, head of Civil Liberties Organisation in Akwa Ibom believes the state government was not fair to all the victims .

"The White Paper issued by the state government exonerated Akan Weeks. but indicted the engineers that carried out the construction of the building.

"As far as the CLO is concerned, Apostle Akan Weeks is the owner of the structure and the place was marked for demolition by government authorities.

"Apostle Weeks covered up the demolition marking and continued to build on that building. That place was a swampy area and was not fit for such a project. But when the White Paper Report was released, the government absolved Apostle Weeks.

"The Panel reports came out clearly that Apostle Akan Weeks is the owner of the building. He engaged the engineers who gave him professional advice alleging some structural defects on the building.

"But he said they should go ahead with the building, and even put up pillars in the middle of the building as a support, which the engineers advised that they should be removed. When the reports came out, the government excused and absolved Apostle Akan Weeks of any indictment but indicted only the engineers.

There is also controversy over the exact number of those that died from the incident with many putting the figure of those that lost their lives at between 300 and 400 people.

Mr Ini Ememobong, a spokesman for the state government said the review of the White Paper which would have given room for the payment of compensation to the victims and their rehabilitation by the state government was not being considered as the state government has not received a request from any group.

"The white paper is the government's position on the report. So If they are seeking a review, are they seeking a review of the report or the white paper? These are technical and administrative issues.

"We are not aware of any request for review of either the report or white paper because you cannot seek for a review of the white paper.

"The white paper is the position on the report, while the report is the foundation, and the white paper is the building on top the foundation. As far as I am aware, we have not been notified of any request for a review," he said.

For now, Akpanumoh and several others who survived the tragedy with severe injuries will constantly be reminded of that fateful day when the roof of the makeshift church came crashing on them while they continue to hope for succour which might not be forthcoming any time soon.

ShareFacebookTwitterPinterestLinkedInWhatsApp
As a non-profit news outlet, The Southern Examiner welcomes financial support from the general public in order to continue to provide factual, investigative, independent and unbiased reportage. Our long age culture of editorial independence, public interest and balance stands us out from the rest till date, and with your support, we can keep the tradition going. For further inquiries: thesouthernexaminer@gmail.com
Related NewsCommuters, Motorists Lament Multiple Checkpoints Along Onitsha-Owerri HighwayWhy Illegal Motor Parks Thrive In Akwa IbomJob For Sale, 2 UNICAL Security Men ArrestedAssassins After My Life, UNICAL Whistle Blower Cries OutHow UNICAL Staff Fleece Desperate Job SeekersAnguish, Deprivations in Oil-rich Emereoke Symbolize Misuse of Derivation Fund in A’IbomAs Aba’s Decay Worsens, a New Culprit Emerges: Governor IkpeazuA'Ibom Govt House Stinks, Epidemic LoomsA'Ibom Boasts of World Class Health Facilities but Personnel are in Short SupplyA'Ibom Groans over Diminishing Revenue as FG Withholds Derivation FundExecution of Imo's World Bank NEWMAP Project is Stalled by Political InterestsDan Etete's Luxury Private Jet Linked to OPL245 Seized in MontrealAyade’s Pressure Forced Redeployment of Police Chief to Bayelsa
Search...

Lagoshttps://www.booked.net/+27°C
Editors Picks
Five Years after, Victims of Collapsed Church Wait for Help that may Never ComeBayelsa Insists on Revalidation of Atala Marginal Fields OML 46 licenceYou Need A Good Successor, Obasanjo Tells UdomSurvivors of Reigners Bible Church Collapse Lament Neglect, Demand CompensationOba of Benin Palace Official in Alleged N3.5m Land Scandal involving Austria-based NigerianUzodimma Returns to Altercation with Okorocha, Claims Former Governor Plans to Quit APCIPOB CLaims Obiano, Wike, Emeka-Offor, Ngige Sold out KanuASUP Unhappy with FG over Appointment of Unqualified Rectors
ABOUT USCONTACT USADVERTISE© Copyright The Southern Free Press Incorporated All rights reserved.
Re: Five Years After, Victims Of Collapsed Church Wait For Help That May Never Come by ford101: 11:12am On Jul 18, 2021
I can't read

1 Like

Re: Five Years After, Victims Of Collapsed Church Wait For Help That May Never Come by Kobojunkiee: 3:53pm On Jul 18, 2021
Really sad story! undecided

(1) (Reply)

Earphones, Airpods Are Devilish – Bishop Oyedepo Bans Youths From Usage / Meditate On This Tonight. / Share Stories Of Women Who Spoke With Their Unborn Children Even Before Birth.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.