Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,885 members, 7,956,335 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 10:11 AM

Landlords And Tenants' Rights In Nigeria - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Landlords And Tenants' Rights In Nigeria (24584 Views)

Igbo Woman Laments Bitterly About Abuja Landlords And Gets A Huge Reply / Landlords And Landladies Share Your Experiences With Tenants / 7 Things To Know About Tenants Rights (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Landlords And Tenants' Rights In Nigeria by Donchieli: 12:36pm On Jul 21, 2021
Tenants nko?

Hardewarlee:
I wish most landlords & landladies are elites and educated to come online to read this …
Re: Landlords And Tenants' Rights In Nigeria by HONEHI: 12:37pm On Jul 21, 2021
What about tenant who have failed to pay for 3 years consecutively.
Re: Landlords And Tenants' Rights In Nigeria by FIRDAUS3(m): 12:40pm On Jul 21, 2021
Nice one
Re: Landlords And Tenants' Rights In Nigeria by tiswell(m): 12:41pm On Jul 21, 2021
They abuse these rights on a daily
Re: Landlords And Tenants' Rights In Nigeria by tiswell(m): 12:41pm On Jul 21, 2021
Hi
HONEHI:
What about tenant who have failed to pay for 3 years consecutively.

kill him grin
Re: Landlords And Tenants' Rights In Nigeria by Psoul(m): 12:42pm On Jul 21, 2021
We are waiting for Phase 2
Re: Landlords And Tenants' Rights In Nigeria by emmnprince(m): 12:42pm On Jul 21, 2021
Sebastine1994:
I have a testimony Nairalanders. I used to be a tenant too.

There was a time I couldn't pay my rent, the whole world was against me. I was confused like you, I lost my nice paying job. I was managing until my rent expired.

The Yoruba landlord called carpenter to remove the roof from my room. I moved into friends place to stay, my girlfriend sells food, she did not leave me, gave me hope.

I finally got a job at Riyadh Saudi Arabia, .
Saudi landlord are even deadlier than Nigeria landlord. they can stab you and nothing would happen.

it's a long story. just forget it.

Stab ke! Wahala dey o!
Re: Landlords And Tenants' Rights In Nigeria by Guruzsolomon: 12:43pm On Jul 21, 2021
Hmmm......sure.

Our company name is "OTLOT SMART HOME SYSTEM"
WE ARE THE ONE IN CHARGE OF MINISTRY OF EDUCATION.
MANY TRAINING HAVE TAKEN PLACE IN VARIOUS STATE AND SCHOOL.
OTLOX SMART HOME SYSTEM PRESENTED ONLINE INTENSIVE TRAINING .

TRAINING COVERED:

1: INTRODUCTION TO ARDUINO ,GSM MODULE,ESP32 webserver

2:GSM BASE AUTOMATION

3:ESP32 Relay Module – Control AC Appliances (Web Server)

https:///H3EsKzs4bwT8ldtQOsfpL3
������������

Click the link above to join Our Hardware Software Programing Training Group For Automation

TRAINING WILL START VERY SOON....
Don't miss the opportunity...
WhatsApp no:
+2348138852437
+2347014251110
Re: Landlords And Tenants' Rights In Nigeria by Guruzsolomon: 12:45pm On Jul 21, 2021
Hmmm...sure.

Our company name is "OTLOT SMART HOME SYSTEM"
WE ARE THE ONE IN CHARGE OF MINISTRY OF EDUCATION.
MANY TRAINING HAVE TAKEN PLACE IN VARIOUS STATE AND SCHOOL.
OTLOX SMART HOME SYSTEM PRESENTED ONLINE INTENSIVE TRAINING .

TRAINING COVERED:

1: INTRODUCTION TO ARDUINO ,GSM MODULE,ESP32 webserver

2:GSM BASE AUTOMATION

3:ESP32 Relay Module – Control AC Appliances (Web Server)

https:///H3EsKzs4bwT8ldtQOsfpL3
������������

Click the link above to join Our Hardware Software Programing Training Group For Automation

TRAINING WILL START VERY SOON....
Don't miss the opportunity...
WhatsApp no:
+2348138852437
+2347014251110
Re: Landlords And Tenants' Rights In Nigeria by bkool7(m): 12:48pm On Jul 21, 2021
My landlord increases rent every two years. The worst is he will add 100k.
Re: Landlords And Tenants' Rights In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:52pm On Jul 21, 2021
My own care taker that wanted to kick me out 1 week after my rent expired.
Re: Landlords And Tenants' Rights In Nigeria by simhosting: 12:53pm On Jul 21, 2021
Landlord only know about their Left
Re: Landlords And Tenants' Rights In Nigeria by chimpanzee4: 12:55pm On Jul 21, 2021
Sebastine1994:

There was a time I couldn't pay my rent, the whole world was against me. I was confused like you, I lost my nice paying job. I was managing until my rent expired.

The Yoruba landlord called carpenter to remove the roof from my room. I moved into friends place to stay, my girlfriend sells food, she did not leave me, gave me hope.

Saudi landlord are even deadlier than Nigeria landlord. they can stab you and nothing would happen.

Expatriate compound were more expensive in Saudi, so I decided to stay in town. it was hell.

it means you will have to pray like them and you are not a christain. as an atheist I was at an advantage because I can easily blend in. I do all the rituals with them but I don't feel a thing.

Is this a testimony or from frying pan to fire?
Re: Landlords And Tenants' Rights In Nigeria by CryptoRepublic1: 12:58pm On Jul 21, 2021
Does laws work in a lawless nation?
Re: Landlords And Tenants' Rights In Nigeria by Mightyraw(m): 12:58pm On Jul 21, 2021
What happens when you landlord sells the property and your rent is still valid

1 Like

Re: Landlords And Tenants' Rights In Nigeria by kingphilip(m): 1:01pm On Jul 21, 2021
Bros abeg you for just de include the section and subsections make I shaperly evict one tenant like that
Re: Landlords And Tenants' Rights In Nigeria by neonly: 1:02pm On Jul 21, 2021
CotenantNIG:

https://clytee.com/2021/07/19/tenant-and-landlord-rights-in-nigerian-real-estate/

I have a freind dat has been living in a house at akoka yaba lagos but d agent has never given a receipt
What are the complication here pls
Re: Landlords And Tenants' Rights In Nigeria by favoured247(m): 1:08pm On Jul 21, 2021
What happens when your landlord starts a new building inside the tight compound meant for parking cars and the whole compound is flooded with building materials and no space for you to park your car again. That the landlord expects u to be parking outside and bringing in your car only at night for the duration of the new project. The whole compound is filled with workers everyday with several new faces. And rumour has it that after these inconveniences the landlord intends to quit tenants as their rent expires and use the building for something else. And some tenants still have over six months left in the house.
Re: Landlords And Tenants' Rights In Nigeria by gstream: 1:25pm On Jul 21, 2021
favoured247:
What happens when your landlord starts a new building inside the tight compound meant for parking cars and the whole compound is flooded with building materials and no space for you to park your car again. That the landlord expects u to be parking outside and bringing in your car only at night for the duration of the new project. The whole compound is filled with workers everyday with several new faces. And rumour has it that after these inconveniences the landlord intends to quit tenants as their rent expires and use the building for something else. And some tenants still have over six months left in the house.

that materials for new building litters everywhere, if discussed even in court will hold no water. and 2. A landlord can evict issue eviction notice anytime as long as it's inline with the tenancy law of the state/area in where the property is situated.the law stipulates that all eviction duration spent must be paid for. 1yr tenant get 6mths, 6mths get 3mths, 3 mths gets 3mths, 1mth gets 1mth and weekly tenant gets 1week.

5 Likes

Re: Landlords And Tenants' Rights In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:26pm On Jul 21, 2021
Sebastine1994:

Expatriate compound were more expensive in Saudi, so I decided to stay in town. it was hell.

it means you will have to pray like them and you are not a christain. as an atheist I was at an advantage because I can easily blend in. I do all the rituals with them but I don't feel a thing.

Islam is bad.
Re: Landlords And Tenants' Rights In Nigeria by sylve11: 1:29pm On Jul 21, 2021
nice one @ op. cool
Re: Landlords And Tenants' Rights In Nigeria by Blesyn22(m): 1:42pm On Jul 21, 2021
Na au lyf suppose be be dis ooo. U gas get agreement ontoo anything wey u use or do with or for pesin. Some agreement sometimes dey benefit tenants pass Landlord. E geh y make u dey get tenancy agreement.
Re: Landlords And Tenants' Rights In Nigeria by Swingate(m): 1:52pm On Jul 21, 2021
A lawyer is currently occupying my flat in lekki area and has refused to pay full rent, now he is coming up with threats and blackmail telling me he wants to petition the police to arrest me for drmanding rent and telling him not to sublet the flat he occupies.
He even came to attack me at the beach, but I went to jakande police station to report the mater and they invited him over the phone to come over to the station but he refused instead he started threatening me.
He said if I issue him quit notice he will delay his eviction as long as possible on court because he a lawyer and he will end up not paying for years.
Please guys what is the best way to handle this individual?

1 Like

Re: Landlords And Tenants' Rights In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:01pm On Jul 21, 2021
Re: Landlords And Tenants' Rights In Nigeria by HONEHI: 2:03pm On Jul 21, 2021
What of if the Tenant owing 5 years is the Federal Government Ministry !!!! angry angry
Re: Landlords And Tenants' Rights In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:03pm On Jul 21, 2021
Kingpele:
grin all I can say is landlords should work with a lawyer ,recently I tried it and is working for me ,how can someone who is owning two years rent of a. Flat more than 5 hundred thousand naira decided to secretly parked out of the building... I have had a terrible experiences with some tenants .Ok ,last weeki went to collect shop rent from a woman ,her daughter told me that her sister gave birth that her mother went to be with her..This woman never informed that she won't be around..so just as bad landlords exist ,wicked tenants abound in this country as well

Simply go after the tenant's source of income. Better for me, if he/she is an employee.

Did one early this year and the employer almost sacked her. Stayed in someone's house for 2 years, only to pack out like a thief in the night, when the matter was already in court.

I was very happy she packed out. The issue of possession was out of it as we had vacant possession and the apartment was available to let. The only thing left was arrears of rent.

Simply got judgement and attached her salaries.

She was shocked and embarrassed to her bones. We finally had a post garnishee settlement and she will be paying my client 70% of her salary for 10 months until the debt is cleared. she has paid for 4 months. We still have 6 months to go.

Na sense dem take dey kill monkey

2 Likes

Re: Landlords And Tenants' Rights In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:05pm On Jul 21, 2021
Swingate:
A lawyer is currently occupying my flat in lekki area and has refused to pay full rent, now he is coming up with threats and blackmail telling me he wants to petition the police to arrest me for drmanding rent and telling him not to sublet the flat he occupies.
He even came to attack me at the beach, but I went to jakande police station to report the mater and they invited him over the phone to come over to the station but he refused instead he started threatening me.
He said if I issue him quit notice he will delay his eviction as long as possible on court because he a lawyer and he will end up not paying for years.

Get a lawyer to engage him. If the lawyer is good, he will come begging in a matter of days.
Re: Landlords And Tenants' Rights In Nigeria by PastorFire: 2:13pm On Jul 21, 2021
Lee99:
All I'm saying is that its wickedness to default on your rent and then live rent free in someone's house thereby holding onto his source of income and then proceed to shamelessly drag the landlord to court, most of this rubbish tenant lifestyle happens in Abuja, you'll see one idiot that is owing rent of 400k buying a car worth 2.5m and park it in the same compound where he has refused to pay rent, nonsense and ingredients undecided
My landlord is a very understandable person. Because of space which occupies my apartment. I made it clear to him that, i only need 6month to get myself together and leave. He agreed and i paid him half a year.
He was even surprised i was leaving cos he wanted me to stay.. I normally call him a month to his rent and ask him to send him account number. Which i pay in full.
Re: Landlords And Tenants' Rights In Nigeria by emonis88: 2:17pm On Jul 21, 2021
Swingate:
Go to d local govt office close to u n ask for human right section , take his case there, or landlords tenants albitration office . Him dey mad. Don't let him intimidate u.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

A Dairy Of My 1st Building Project / Computer Village Ikeja On Fire! / Prices Of Land In Lekki Increase By 500% In Just Five Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.