Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,766 members, 7,817,113 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:16 AM

An Online Degree Takes You From Ordinary To Extraordinary - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / An Online Degree Takes You From Ordinary To Extraordinary (546 Views)

What's The Difference Between Bsc (Hons) And Ordinary Bsc? / A Secondary School Student Draws Mermaid With Ordinary Sand. / Teacher Uses Extraordinary Chalkboard Drawing Skills To Teach Students Anatomy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

An Online Degree Takes You From Ordinary To Extraordinary by Taptent: 8:22pm On Jul 21, 2021
If something sounds too good to be true, it is generally too good to be true.

We were told to go to school, get good grades and as a result, several high-paying jobs would come to us.

Unfortunately, this isn’t always the “life after school” reality we end up with. For instance, an excellent student like Emmanuel Nworie, who graduated with a first class honours (CGPA 4.92/5.00) should have no business taking up farming just to make ends meet. If people like Emmanuel struggle to land high-paying jobs, where those that leave the majority of graduates who finish with a second class or lower?

You may have even heard of parents who advised their children to study professional courses like pharmacy, medicine and nursing on the basis that such professions offer better job security. Well, if any of these were true, then medical doctors would neither be leaving Nigeria for developed countries in mass nor would more than 50% of the nation’s working force be underemployed.

Personally, I graduated with a second class upper. However, the last six years of earning peanuts as a community pharmacist and only ever getting a 10% pay increase is an additional proof that good grades alone isn’t enough to land good jobs.

The more things change, the more they stay the same

Albert Einstein once said, “Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result.” I 100% subscribe to that philosophy. So, after six years of working as a pharmacist, I decided to explore a different path. I opted for a second degree in media and communication (marketing communications specialization) since I was instinctively good at creating magic with words.

But even that didn't have much of an impact on my earning capacity... or so was I led to believe. I mean, how could I have spent over N2m upskilling myself at a traditional brick and mortar institution only to still be priced like tomatoes and paid in accordance with my previous salary?

Third time was a trick

It's painful, but that's the reality I have had to deal with even with a master's degree in marketing communications. However, it didn’t deter me from getting a third degree. In fact, I was already thinking about obtaining a degree in Business Administration & Management whilst earning my second degree.

You see, a part of me had always wanted to understand how businesses work, even more so after my father passed away in 2017 and his 15 year+ old company collapsed.

Armed with my previous experience of how insignificant a postgraduate degree could be at moving the salary needle, I wanted this to matter. I needed to know that what I would be learning would be relevant in today's world. More importantly, I needed a postgraduate degree that would put me on the right path to a better and brighter career.

Nexford gives you the skills to succeed

When I heard about Nexford's competency-based learning model for their MBA program that focuses on skills based learning and not merely the regurgitation of inapplicable theories, I knew that I had stumbled on something amazing.

I remember combing through every single page on Nexford University’s website and reading everything about its MBA courses with relish. I even downloaded the university’s catalogue and read it from cover to cover.

Going through the website, I also discovered that Nexford also undertakes extensive research aimed at finding and bridging the gap that exists between the skills that employers are looking for and the skills required of learners to hit the ground running and get the job done. I was extremely impressed, and I just couldn’t wait to start my MBA program.

It's barely three months since my MBA graduation, and although I still work in a pharmacy (not for long). I have been able to earn at least four times my monthly income from a side hustle, content writing.

Indeed, enrolling for the MBA degree program at Nexford in May 2019 was one of the best decisions I ever made. It’s amazing how the template I now use to create promotional content and earn as a content writer is just one of the many things I learned during the program. In fact, the template was the final project for one of my MBA foundation courses – Global Marketing Practices, where I was required to create a regional content calendar for a brand that is planning a global expansion into one of the BRIC nations.

Right now I am not quite ready for a regular 9 to 5 job, but that will probably not last for long, as thanks to my Nexford MBA, I am seeing offers for employment coming in from none other than the likes of Pharma Business Review, Erisn Software Solutions and even Nexford.

Before I go, please understand that I am neither against fulltime employment, nor the community pharmacy profession, but it simply can't be the mundane type of employment that allows you to just keep your head above water. That’s in the past, and I am glad I can now do something for myself using the relevant skills and essential competencies I acquired during my MBA program at Nexford.

Re: An Online Degree Takes You From Ordinary To Extraordinary by Blurpy: 9:34pm On Jul 21, 2021
How can one enroll for the course
Re: An Online Degree Takes You From Ordinary To Extraordinary by Taptent: 11:53am On Jul 27, 2021
Hi Blurpy,

To enroll for this program, simply visit the link below:
apply.nexford.org

Got more questions about the program?

Please can contact Nexford University via
https://www.nexford.org/contact

or reach me on LinkedIn via
https://www.linkedin.com/in/anuoluwapoademuyiwa/

(1) (Reply)

Finance And Accounting Assignments Made Easy / OOU Final Year Students Shower Lecturer With Money As They Sign Out (Video) / Planning To Japa? Get Into Your Choicest School Abroad With A Winning SOP For15k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.