Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,462 members, 7,819,684 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:49 PM

Top Fitness, Workouts, and Health News - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Top Fitness, Workouts, and Health News (2697 Views)

May 2018 Health News Round Up / February 2018 Health News Round Up / Natural Health News: 16 Facts About Malaria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top Fitness, Workouts, and Health News by BreakingNews21: 12:40pm On Jul 23, 2021
Why your HIIT workouts could be working against you

High Intensity Interval Training, or HIIT, is the fitness trend we can’t get enough of. But Shona Vertue, personal trainer and yoga teacher to clients such as David Beckham, thinks HIIT gym workouts could be causing harm to our bodies, and even undoing those hard-won results.

“I did a post on Instagram about my training regime and in the comment said I only do HIIT once, max twice per week, so as not to deplete my nervous system,” Vertue told Body+Soul.

Comments flooded the post asking her to explain her reasoning. Vertue says, “People are doing HIIT every single day and they don’t realise it’s draining on the nervous system.”

“Your nervous system is regulating your metabolism, how your skin, hair, nails look, your brain function, and speed of ageing,” she says.

Too many HIIT gym workouts too often can create elevated levels of cortisol, a hormone that makes us store more fat.

“If you’re not taking care of your nervous system you’re going to end up losing all the things you’re working hard for anyway,” Vertue explains.

Vertue believes in a Lift + Lengthen + Nourish approach, and created the Vertue Method: “a fusion of yoga, gymnastics, weighted circuit training and meditation, designed to uplift both your soul and your butt” – but she understands it’s not as sexy a sell as a straight up HIIT gym workout.

James Anderson, Personal Trainer and founder of Sydney-based female group training programme PHAT Fit, agrees that too many HIIT gym workouts isn’t smart training.

RELATED: What physiotherapists really think about F45

“I often watch people make the mistake of thinking that if what they’ve been doing has been getting them a result, then more of that thing will give them even greater results,” Anderson told Coach.

Both Anderson and Vertue believe a varied routine working multiple systems in the body is the best approach to your fitness and overall wellbeing.

“HIIT training is amazing when thought of as a tool in a tool belt, but it shouldn’t be the only tool,” says Anderson.

While benefits of HIIT include improved cardiovascular performance, an increased metabolic rate post-workout, a high calorie burning power, no need for equipment and a workout in a short amount of time, overdoing it can be risky.

“The potential dangers of HIIT training generally come in the form of three things: fatigue, sickness, and injury,” he says.

Doing HIIT gym workouts every single day is a mistake, as it misses out on a key aspect of training: recovery.

“If you’re not careful and don't give your body adequate rest and recovery time between these workouts then your results will quickly diminish and be replaced with tiredness and fatigue, joint pain, muscular strains, and illness,” explains Anderson.

Recovery allows your muscles to repair and rebuild, giving you a better workout next time around. “How quickly (and consistently) you can continue to recover will be the key factor in whether you continue to get results, or you begin to lose them,” he says.

What does a healthy and effective fitness routine look like?

“If you want to build something strong and sturdy then it often requires more than just a hammer, right? Simply hammering away every workout with only HIIT will quickly lead to overtraining and injury unless you start to “cycle” it in a programme that's more suited to you,” says Anderson.

Anderson’s favourite way to cycle HIIT gym workouts into a routine is doing a strength training/weight lifting day, then a HITT day for cardio, followed by a recovery day.

Vertue says that weight lifting was a game changer. “Weight training changed my life and body. It shifted physiologically and also my sense of accomplishment,” she told Body+Soul.

Strength training focuses on proper technique (something often overlooked in HIIT when pressed for time) and building muscle strength and size.

Recovery day can include yoga, swimming, stretch and mobility sessions, walking, Tai Chi or meditation.

Recovery is also important because it helps reduce stress in the body. “Exercise is just another form of stress on the body, so eventually this chronic stress without recovery will spill over into sickness as your body's way of forcing rest,” explains Anderson.

It’s also a way to reduce those cortisol levels Vertue is wary of, and look after your nervous system.

Great HIIT gym workouts – and recovery – are also about proper nutrition. “Nutrition is the key ingredient to allow the body to work at high intensities as well as replenishing what was taken,” says Anderson.

Variety is key – you’ll work different systems of your body instead of just focusing on what you enjoy or what you’re good at.

“We have a tendency to practise what we’re good at. That’s a mistake, because we neglect the things we need,” says Vertue.

Anderson and Vertue believe that being more in touch with your own body is especially important.

“You need to become more self-aware and try to listen to your body (not your ego) when it comes to how you're feeling on a daily basis and then adjust your training accordingly,” says Anderson.

RELATED: What to eat before you exercise: suggestions from the Australian Institute of Sport

https://coach.nine.com.au/fitness/hiit-workouts-causing-harm/9ccd1556-df02-4e24-87f1-dad735732888

Re: Top Fitness, Workouts, and Health News by BreakingNews21: 11:34am On Jul 24, 2021
No gym needed.

Re: Top Fitness, Workouts, and Health News by BreakingNews21: 5:08pm On Jul 24, 2021
#homeworkout #workout #top-fitness #exercise

Re: Top Fitness, Workouts, and Health News by BreakingNews21: 10:23am On Jul 26, 2021
Trying to post somethings positive and healthy for all but the spam bot is sensitive. Only posting the link for now.

Wellness
How to Get a Full-Body Strength Workout With Just Resistance Bands
Become a rubber band man.

BY EMILY ABBATE
https://www.gq.com/story/resistance-band-workouts

Re: Top Fitness, Workouts, and Health News by BreakingNews21: 6:48pm On Jul 27, 2021
BRIEF RESEARCH REPORT article

Front. Sports Act. Living, 26 July 2021 | https://doi.org/10.3389/fspor.2021.697518

Short-Term, Equipment-Free High Intensity Interval Training Elicits Significant Improvements in Cardiorespiratory Fitness Irrespective of Supervision in Early Adulthood
Tanvir S. Sian1,2, Thomas Inns1, Amanda Gates1, Brett Doleman2, Nima Gharahdaghi1, Philip J. Atherton3, Jon N. Lund1,2 and Bethan E. Phillips1*
1MRC-Versus Arthritis Centre for Musculoskeletal Ageing Research and NIHR Nottingham Biomedical Research Centre, School of Medicine, University of Nottingham, Derby, United Kingdom
2Department of Surgery and Anaesthesia, Royal Derby Hospital, University Hospitals of Derby and Burton, Derby, United Kingdom
3University of Nottingham, Derby, United Kingdom

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fspor.2021.697518/full
Re: Top Fitness, Workouts, and Health News by BreakingNews21: 4:25pm On Jul 30, 2021
Good exercises for your core muscles.

Re: Top Fitness, Workouts, and Health News by BreakingNews21: 11:45pm On Jul 31, 2021
Update

Re: Top Fitness, Workouts, and Health News by BreakingNews21: 6:09pm On Aug 02, 2021
Exercise prevents cellular aging by boosting mitochondria

It is common knowledge that exercise imparts a smorgasbord of health benefits. What is not yet understood is how physical activity manages to reduce aging on a cellular level. New research into mitochondria lifts the lid on the processes involved.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/316229

Re: Top Fitness, Workouts, and Health News by BreakingNews21: 9:10am On Aug 04, 2021
How To Burn Fat Like A Bodybuilder (Without Muscle Loss!)

Written By: Brad Borland

https://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/burn-fat-like-bodybuilders?platform=hootsuite

Re: Top Fitness, Workouts, and Health News by BreakingNews21: 3:06pm On Aug 04, 2021
The Importance of Making Time for Exercise — Especially as You Age
Find a workout you love, and take small steps to stay consistent.

By Erika Schwartz, MD

https://thriveglobal.com/stories/the-importance-of-making-time-for-exercise-as-you-age/

There are basically two types of exercise that are important to health: aerobic (or cardio) and weight training. Exercise is aerobic if it increases your heart rate and makes the heart and lungs work harder to meet the muscles’ need for oxygen.

Weight training strengthens the muscles and increases lean muscle mass. It’s an example of anaerobic exercise, which does not need extra oxygen. Weight training is especially important as you get older because muscle tissue is 70 times more metabolically active than fat. The more muscle you have, the better you burn fat.

It’s difficult, if not irresponsible, to suggest a one-size-fits-all exercise plan. Much depends on your age and physical condition. There are, however, certain guidelines you can follow.

If you’re in your teens and early 20s, you should participate in a variety of team sports. Not only does this keep you in great shape, it’s great fun. This is the time to make exercise an integral part of your life. If you make being physically active something enjoyable, you’re more likely to continue the practice as you get older.

Re: Top Fitness, Workouts, and Health News by BreakingNews21: 7:02pm On Aug 05, 2021
3 reasons you need movement to manifest your success

Dreams Manifesting Mind-BodyMoticise May 18, 2021

https://www.soniasatra.com/blog/3-reasons-you-need-movement

I often talk about the magic of movement. I love exercise - so much so that I built my whole business on it! - so I see that magic everyday, both in the latest research and also in watching my clients break through barriers and achieve their goals. I can tell you from experience: movement is nothing short of magical.

But of course, not everyone has that perspective. Some of you may be wondering, What's so great about moving? Sure, it's good for you, but isn't "magical" kind of a strong word?

That is a GREAT question!

I truly believe, in my heart of hearts, that movement is one of the most powerful and underutilized mindset tools there is. And guess what...science confirms it!

Here are 3 powerful reasons you need movement to manifest your goals (and one super-fun way you can start to do that).

1. Every single system in your body rewards you for moving. Exercise has a million and one physical benefits. It increases your circulation, strength, immune system, and endurance. it also releases a whole onslaught of feel-good hormones like endorphins, serotonin, dopamine, and oxytocin, that are secreted when we move. These little guys elevate our mood, reduce stress, and significantly reduce our risk of anxiety and depression. Moving our muscles triggers the secretion of something called a myokine, and it's so powerful for your immune system that scientists actually call it a "hope molecule."

Then there's what happens in your brain. When you exercise, a protein is released in your brain called BDNF. It's known as Miracle-Gro for the brain, because it triggers the growth of new brain cells, new neural pathways in the brain.

Exercise is an ideal time to start to rewire your brain for anything that you want - not only for all those reasons, but also because of its incredible psychological effects, like boosting your creativity, problem-solving, decision-making, and focus. Have you ever noticed when you're sitting for a long time, trying to figure something out, and then you get up and go for a walk or move around a bit, and suddenly an idea comes to you - either the answer you were looking for, or something totally new and unexpected? Well, that's because movement generates creative thinking!

Movement also helps you focus and learn, it taps into your motivation center so that you're more driven to act. All of those things are necessary to manifest whatever it is that you want in your life.

2. Exercise raises your mood as well as your vibrations. When you feel good, you emanate a positive energy. To attract what we want, whether that's love or abundance or your dream job, we need to raise our vibrations to match those things. Exercise does that, naturally, for free! And it doesn't even have to have to take that long.

3. Exercise gives you energy. It not only raises your energy, it gives you energy. Any time you want to manifest something, you need to take action. You can't just sit and think and wait for it to appear. You've got to get out there and take action toward making it happen. And ecause you have this increased focus, and your motivation center has lit up, your actions will be that much more effective.

Exercise gives you the energy to go out and take positive, inspired action. Exercise is also a keystone habit, which means that when you start to do it, everything else in your life changes. It has a huge ripple effect. You're starting to bring in a keystone habit that elevates every system in your body, energetically, mentally, physically, emotionally.

I know this to be true because many many years ago, when I was in acting, I used exercise to reach my goals, way before I ever thought up the word Moticise. I was in a long slump. I hadn't worked in eighteen months, and I knew I had to make a big change.

I decided to start running every day, and while I was running, I would use my mindset tools. So on my morning runs, I visualized, asked powerful questions and did affirmations. I would run to the top of this canyon, where I could yell and hear my own words echoed back, so I'd yell out "You got the job!" and I'd hear back "You got the job!" And then I'd celebrate, just as if it had really happened. Anybody watching must've thought I was crazy. But after three weeks of that, I booked a national commercial. Three months later, while I was running down that same pathway, I got a call from my manager. "You got the job!" he said - and it was for the role of psycho nurse Barbara on One Life to Live.

It works.

Exercise changes every part of your body, and it can change every part of your life.

If you want to try this out for yourself, I've created a fun, movement-based course called Move & Manifest Your Way to Health, Wealth, & Happiness to do just that.

As we're coming out of this pandemic, many people feel a little stuck or uncertain. They know they don't want to go back to what they were doing before, but they don't know what to do next. So we're going to look at the key areas in your life - your relationships, your finance, your health, and your personal goals - and in each area, we're going to create the future you do want.

And we'll do that - how else? - by using movement.

We'll use that special combination of exercise and coaching so that you can manifest whatever you want in each of those areas. You'll design your life moving forward out of this pandemic, to get healthy while you're doing it. Because when you move your body, you move things in your life.

You deserve - and you have the ability - to move toward anything that you desire.

Re: Top Fitness, Workouts, and Health News by BreakingNews21: 5:52pm On Aug 07, 2021
@hiitscience

Type 2 HIIT can be targeted with short Intervals and SSGs

Understanding the physiological effect of HIIT will allow you to maximize the development of the physiological capacities you’re after �

#HIIT #training #performance #SSGs #short #intervals

Re: Top Fitness, Workouts, and Health News by BreakingNews21: 9:59pm On Aug 08, 2021
Isometric Exercises and Hiits are a great combination.

Try These Isometric Exercises And Get Stronger Without Moving

EXERCISES

Hold… HOLD!

https://www.coachmag.co.uk/core-exercises/8223/try-these-isometric-exercises-and-get-stronger-without-moving

Re: Top Fitness, Workouts, and Health News by BreakingNews21: 12:06am On Aug 10, 2021
Bodyweight Basics: 3 Day Bodyweight Workout Plan

Written By: Roger “Rock” Lockridge

April 12th, 2017
Updated: January 8th, 2018

https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/bodyweight-basics-3-day-workout

Just starting off or need a break from the weights? This 3 day bodyweight workout routine covers all the basics and will provide you with a good foundation.

Re: Top Fitness, Workouts, and Health News by BreakingNews21: 8:34pm On Aug 13, 2021
Benching vs. Push-Ups – The Shocking Science

Tip: Benching vs. Push-Ups – The Shocking Science
This new study will definitely surprise you. Check it out.
by Calvin Huynh | May 8, 2020

https://www.t-nation.com/training/tip-benching-vs-push-ups-the-shocking-science

Re: Top Fitness, Workouts, and Health News by BreakingNews21: 9:42am On Aug 17, 2021
workout stuff

Re: Top Fitness, Workouts, and Health News by BreakingNews21: 10:06am On Aug 19, 2021
300.. for the elite. wink

Re: Top Fitness, Workouts, and Health News by BreakingNews21: 5:44pm On Aug 20, 2021
6 Ways to (Finally!) Get a Flat Belly
Mon, 08/26/2019 - 13:29

https://www.jillianmichaels.com/

https://www.jillianmichaels.com/blog/weight-loss/6-ways-finally-get-flat-belly

Whether your goal is to lose your muffin top for good, or to finally try to achieve those elusive six-pack abs, use these results-driven techniques and advice for helping you win the battle of the belly bulge once and for all.

Are you sick of hiding your belly under baggy tops or buying your pants a size too big so your stomach won't spill over the waistband? You're not alone. The stomach is a major, if not the major problem area, for men and women. I can't tell you how often I'm asked for advice on how to achieve killer abs, flatten the mommy pooch or lose the love handles. If you really want to get a flat stomach — or score that six pack — follow these tips and make it happen!

Body — Not Just Your Stomach

Contrary to what many people believe, doing thousands of sit-ups or crunches all day, every day, will not get you closer to achieving those washboard abs. Yep, you read that right. Both belly bulge and love handles are about excess body fat, NOT lack of muscle. And sadly, we can’t spot reduce fat. That's why ab exercises alone are not the solution. Scoring a flat stomach is all about workouts that burn body fat overall. One of the best ways to do that is utilizing exercises that are core focused, but impact different muscle groups at the same time — so you're strengthening your entire body, which burns more calories and subsequently more fat – during and long after your workout. A perfect example of this would be a mountain climber. You are working your chest, shoulders, triceps, core and accelerating the hell out of your heart rate for optimal calorie burn.

HIIT Training

High intensity interval training is one of the most effective fat burning fitness techniques you can employ. This is because it places a tremendous energy call on the body and greatly increases the body's need for oxygen it incinerates calories. It’s done by engaging in short bursts of intense exercise at 100% effort followed by short recovery periods of complete rest or an light active recovery exercise. For example: you might do a set of 15 sprints where you go all out for 1 minute then walk for 30 seconds. Or, you can work HIIT intervals into a resistance-training workout by injecting high intensity moves that elevate heart rate and then perform another easier exercise for an “active recovery”. An example of this would be jump squats for 30 seconds followed by plank pose for 30 seconds.

Re: Top Fitness, Workouts, and Health News by BreakingNews21: 1:43pm On Aug 23, 2021
update
20-30 seconds rest periods between sets for an optimum workout.

Re: Top Fitness, Workouts, and Health News by BreakingNews21: 4:42pm On Aug 25, 2021
Fitness & Health Update

Every Body Is Strong. Here's How to Make the Most of Yours.

It doesn't matter what size and shape you are—thick, thin, long, short, lean, or stocky. Here’s how to adjust your training and find the untapped, undiscovered power, strength, and possibility in every human body.

BY LEE BOYCE, MELODY SCHOENFELD, C.S.C.S. AND WITH ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY DAVID OTEY, C.S.C.S.,AND ANDREW HEFFERNAN, C.S.C.S.
AUG 19, 2021

https://www.menshealth.com/fitness/a37272280/anthropometry-body-types-workouts/

Re: Top Fitness, Workouts, and Health News by BreakingNews21: 10:42am On Aug 28, 2021
Workout time.

Re: Top Fitness, Workouts, and Health News by BreakingNews21: 11:43pm On Aug 28, 2021
Pics & descriptions in link.

HEALTH & FITNESS
15 At-home Workouts to Get Six-pack Abs

https://www.mensjournal.com/health-fitness/10-home-workouts-get-six-pack-abs/

Abs workout 1: Unilateral powerhouse

Abs workout 2: No-crunch workout

Abs workout 3: Cardio core shred

Abs workout 4: Plank variations

Abs workout 5: Standing abs workout

Abs workout 6: Bodyweight abs workout
Re: Top Fitness, Workouts, and Health News by BreakingNews21: 9:58am On Aug 29, 2021
HEALTH & FITNESS
10 Steps to 8-Pack Abs

https://www.mensjournal.com/health-fitness/10-steps-to-8-pack-abs/

1. Set a deadline
2. Prevent food allergies
3. Keep the protein coming
4. Stop cutting calories
5. Protect your home
6. Start the day green
7. Measure portion sizes
8. Get more magnesium
9. Eat protein for breakfast
10 Do the tough ab exercises

Re: Top Fitness, Workouts, and Health News by BreakingNews21: 11:55pm On Aug 30, 2021
Men's Health UK

Strip Away Fat with Our Simple Bodyweight Circuit
Dropping body fat to show your abs doesn't require fancy kit, just all-out effort

https://www.menshealth.com/uk/workouts/g758386/bodyweight-circuit-to-torch-fat-david/

Re: Top Fitness, Workouts, and Health News by BreakingNews21: 9:35pm On Sep 01, 2021
Update

Re: Top Fitness, Workouts, and Health News by BreakingNews21: 6:19pm On Sep 04, 2021
FitnessWorkouts Lower Body Exercises

4 Glute Exercises That Are a Waste of Time — and What to Do Instead

By Elizabeth Millard

1. HIIT-Style Body-Weight Glute Bridges
If you're doing glute bridges on the floor and want to power through them, it can feel like it makes sense to go fast, and maybe doing some quick pulses at the top. But speed kills your results. Perkins says you'll likely be using momentum instead, and that's coming from your legs, not your glutes.

Instead: Do your glute bridges slowly and spend your intensity on effort and form instead of speed, Perkins says.

Lie on your back on a mat or gym floor, with feet hip-width apart and toes turned out slightly. Think of your shoulders being glued to the floor, which helps your spine stay neutral. Keep arms relaxed and straight alongside the body.
Press your heels down to lift your hips slowly and squeeze your glutes. Hold for a few seconds at the top with glutes engaged.
Lower hips as you relax your glutes and reset for a second before lifting back up.
Tip
Rather than focusing on number of reps, keep your count low — like under 10 — and concentrate on the glutes engagement throughout.

And if the body-weight version is too easy for you, add a resistance band around your thighs or hold a weight over your hips.

Re: Top Fitness, Workouts, and Health News by BreakingNews21: 10:55am On Sep 07, 2021
Good day NL fitness ppl.
Let's get it in. wink

Re: Top Fitness, Workouts, and Health News by BreakingNews21: 9:13pm On Sep 14, 2021
I'm liking what I see in this Health section. Keep up the nice work guys.
wink

Re: Top Fitness, Workouts, and Health News by BreakingNews21: 9:25am On Sep 18, 2021
Pls, no long breaks in between sets. wink

Re: Top Fitness, Workouts, and Health News by BreakingNews21: 10:39pm On Sep 20, 2021

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nurse Collapse After Getting COVID-19 Vaccine (Video of her fainting) / COVID-19 Update For November 25 2021 In Nigeria / Someone Should Please Help With This Killing Head Bumps [pic]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.