Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,335 members, 7,860,826 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 04:55 PM

Sierra Leone Abolishes Death Penalty - Foreign Affairs (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Sierra Leone Abolishes Death Penalty (16716 Views)

Togo President, Faure Gnassingbe Abolishes Presidential Election / Drama In Sierra Leone As Corpse Walks To The House Of Ritualist That Killed Her / Saudi Arabia Abolishes Flogging As Punishment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sierra Leone Abolishes Death Penalty by DeRichard(m): 6:35pm On Jul 23, 2021
fergie001:

SOURCE

SOURCE

Many have hailed this step: including NGOs (AdvocAid, Amnesty International & Death Penalty Project), as well as the UK Foreign Secretary.

Secretary of State for Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Affairs of the United Kingdom, Dominic Raab

Sierra Leone's President, Julius Maada Bio, has remained a strong advocate for the abrogation of the Death Penalty Act.

There has been no Court-backed execution in the Sierra-Leone since 1998 but Judges continue to impose the mandatory Death sanction for capital crimes. At least 78 persons are on death row, all of whom will have their death sentences rescinded.

The small West African nation becomes the 23rd African Country & 110th in the World to abolish the Death Penalty; joining ECOWAS neighbours: Guinea, Benin Republic, Cote d'Ivoire, Togo & Senegal.

(Pics inlet): *Prisons in Sierra Leone*

This is a very good one. No man has the power to take another man's life.
Life imprisonment should be the highest form of punishment.
Re: Sierra Leone Abolishes Death Penalty by dfrost: 6:35pm On Jul 23, 2021
Limassol:
you do realise these hardened criminals are being taken care of by tax payers money, right? Isn't better to deliver justice by handing the death sentence?

You are right in a way. But what exactly is the root cause of high crime rate?
Re: Sierra Leone Abolishes Death Penalty by dfrost: 6:36pm On Jul 23, 2021
adeniyi65:

grin grin where are my glasses

grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: Sierra Leone Abolishes Death Penalty by dfrost: 6:36pm On Jul 23, 2021
danietohbadt:

Lol, which better ways please?

When you tell a criminal he'll lose his life if caught in the act and he still doesn't care, then I don't know what else is needed to discourage crime.

Nigerians doing drugs in Asia is a perfect example

And has that deterred them from the act? undecided
Re: Sierra Leone Abolishes Death Penalty by Calitoscassius(m): 6:37pm On Jul 23, 2021
dfrost:

Better ways like finding out why the crime was committed.

See below report I managed to pull out from the net. Please find time to read the report in the link cited.

"The low level of general crime and very low level of violent crime is due to the high-standard of living, lack of tension between social and economic classes, small population, strong social attitudes against criminality, high level of trust in law enforcement, and a well-trained, highly-educated police force"

https://www.osac.gov/Content/Report/1212e167-4d1e-47b6-9974-195ba55f2c43
Absolutely! And how to prevent the crimes happening again. Good point.
Re: Sierra Leone Abolishes Death Penalty by Calitoscassius(m): 6:37pm On Jul 23, 2021
danietohbadt:

Lol, which better ways please?

When you tell a criminal he'll lose his life if caught in the act and he still doesn't care, then I don't know what else is needed to discourage crime.

Nigerians doing drugs in Asia is a perfect example
Exactly! cheesy
Re: Sierra Leone Abolishes Death Penalty by JohnBullMySon: 6:38pm On Jul 23, 2021
Ammishaddai:
This society has lost its sense of right and wrong. They haven't given enough thought to this decision and as it stands, there will be an increase in crime because criminals will no longer be threatened with the punishment of death
Death penalty only satisfies our thirst for revenge. In fact some criminals even want to die and simply stop existing. Life imprisonment is a worse punishment.
Re: Sierra Leone Abolishes Death Penalty by Davidonkonsults: 6:40pm On Jul 23, 2021
Pavillon:

Right over my life ??
Lol. Attempt suicide and you will understand. You will be treated then prosecuted. The law is you shall not take life. Not even yours. Even euthanasia is not allowed. There may be exceptions though.
Re: Sierra Leone Abolishes Death Penalty by ofiko123(m): 6:40pm On Jul 23, 2021
May God help the country...
Re: Sierra Leone Abolishes Death Penalty by Calitoscassius(m): 6:40pm On Jul 23, 2021
Limassol:
you do realise these hardened criminals are being taken care of by tax payers money, right? Isn't better to deliver justice by handing the death sentence?
For you it is about saving money? sad wow! All the looted funds would have helped to take care of them.

In your view a murderer today can never become a better citizen in the future if given the chance.

By the way, how much taxes did you pay last year? Or this year? Tax payer! undecided
Re: Sierra Leone Abolishes Death Penalty by danietohbadt(m): 6:41pm On Jul 23, 2021
dfrost:

And has that deterred them from the act? undecided

If losing their lives doesn't stop them from doing drugs, then what will?
Re: Sierra Leone Abolishes Death Penalty by Ammishaddai: 6:42pm On Jul 23, 2021
[s]
Calitoscassius:
You think by killing criminals that would reduce or stop people committing crimes, yea right you better thinks again. grin all the criminals in American deathrow or the ones currently in Sieralonian deathrow, do you think they didn't know they might be put to death before they commited all their crimes? Or murder.

In your nigezooria criminals receive jungle justuce always, did that deter people from commiting crimes or murdering people? No!!
[/s] You've not justified your post with reasonable facts to abolish the death penalty. Kindly do so without derailing my mentions.

2 Likes

Re: Sierra Leone Abolishes Death Penalty by Calitoscassius(m): 6:43pm On Jul 23, 2021
Ammishaddai:
[s][/s] You've not justified your post with reasonable fact to abolish the death penalty. Kindly do so without derailing my mentions.
fork you! And your stupeed mention! cheesy you morron!
Re: Sierra Leone Abolishes Death Penalty by Calitoscassius(m): 6:44pm On Jul 23, 2021
danietohbadt:

abeg help me ask!

1 Like

Re: Sierra Leone Abolishes Death Penalty by dfrost: 6:47pm On Jul 23, 2021
danietohbadt:

Could you kindly read this below:

Re: Sierra Leone Abolishes Death Penalty by Ammishaddai: 6:49pm On Jul 23, 2021
JohnBullMySon:
Death penalty only satisfies our thirst for revenge. In fact some criminals even want to die and simply stop existing. Life imprisonment is a worse punishment.
No offense but, have you considered the implications of the abolishment of the death penalty? Are you aware that a life in imprisonment sentence is paid by citizens through taxes...and does that sound logical and right to you? undecided

Or what about those murderous psychopaths (just like the Texas chainsaw massacre) that kill for pleasure, how would you console and administer justice to the bereaving families and the loved ones who were taken unexpectedly? undecided

My boss, the death penalty is the best option because its saves tax payers(and the government) unnecessary expenditures and it also serves as a deterent to those who may want to engage in such.
Re: Sierra Leone Abolishes Death Penalty by Ammishaddai: 6:50pm On Jul 23, 2021
Calitoscassius:
fork you! And your stupeed mention! cheesy you morron!
I can see you're intellectually lacking.
Re: Sierra Leone Abolishes Death Penalty by Calitoscassius(m): 6:52pm On Jul 23, 2021
Ammishaddai:
No offense but, have you considered the implications of the abolishment of the death penalty? Are you aware that life in imprisonment sentences are being paid by citizens through taxes...does that sound logical and right to you? undecided

Or what about those murderous psychopaths (just like the Texas chainsaw massacre) that kill for pleasure, how would you console and administer justice to the bereaving families and the loved ones who were taken unexpectedly? undecided

The death penalty is the best option because its saves tax payers(and the government) unnecessary expenditures. It also serves as a deterent to those who may want to engage in such.
You keep yapping about tax payers tax payer! How much taxes did you pay last year or this year? Have you ever paid any tax? grin grin ewu gambia!
Re: Sierra Leone Abolishes Death Penalty by Ammishaddai: 6:54pm On Jul 23, 2021
[s]
Calitoscassius:
You keep yapping about tax payers tax payer! How much taxes did you pay last year or this year? Have you ever paid any tax? grin grin ewu gambia!
[/s] I know foolishness is a hobby to you, but would you be so kind as to leave me out...? Thank you
Re: Sierra Leone Abolishes Death Penalty by Calitoscassius(m): 6:54pm On Jul 23, 2021
Ammishaddai:
I can see you're intellectually lacking.
fork you once more! Lick my ass! You think you are an intellectual? You cannot even handle other people's opinions grin
Re: Sierra Leone Abolishes Death Penalty by Calitoscassius(m): 6:55pm On Jul 23, 2021
Ammishaddai:
[s][/s] I know foolishness is hobby to you, but would you be so kind as to leave me out...? Thank you
Just answer the bloody question! Fool! You call yourself a tax payer!! grin grin

You are aguing stupidly Tax payer tax payer! Bullshit! Tell me how much taxes you paid this year!!
Re: Sierra Leone Abolishes Death Penalty by danietohbadt(m): 6:56pm On Jul 23, 2021
dfrost:

Could you kindly read this below:

Lol, you're very funny.

You're using Iceland as a case study.
isn't it?

You're using a country that has less than 380k people living in the entire country as an example.

A country that could barely field eleven professional footballers at the World Cup.

Who doesn't know Iceland is a peaceful country?

Infact, as of today, Iceland is regarded as the safest country in the world, and that's largely due to its low population.

If you want to convince me, fetch me data from Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, Indonesia, Vietnam and the likes.

Afterwards, let's go to South America, starting with Mexico
Re: Sierra Leone Abolishes Death Penalty by hakeem4(m): 6:57pm On Jul 23, 2021
This is great
Re: Sierra Leone Abolishes Death Penalty by P1PrinceKT(m): 6:59pm On Jul 23, 2021
Na so their problem go started
Re: Sierra Leone Abolishes Death Penalty by Calitoscassius(m): 7:01pm On Jul 23, 2021
JohnBullMySon:
Absolutely!! Correct! I know, i have been to jail. The worst thing you could do a person is put them in jail, take aways their freedom
Re: Sierra Leone Abolishes Death Penalty by JohnBullMySon: 7:03pm On Jul 23, 2021
Ammishaddai:
No offense but, have you considered the implications of the abolishment of the death penalty? Are you aware that a life in imprisonment sentence is paid by citizens through taxes...and does that sound logical and right to you? undecided

My boss, the death penalty is the best option because its saves tax payers(and the government) unnecessary expenditures and it also serves as a deterent to those who may want to engage in such.
Well, that's another viewpoint. I was merely talking from the punishment angle.

Regardless, in some places, they're used for government labour. This balances out the money they consume. I don't know if that can work in Nigeria though.
Re: Sierra Leone Abolishes Death Penalty by Igbojihadist: 7:11pm On Jul 23, 2021
harmony75:
Let's see if it works
you be ogonna pls answer me
Re: Sierra Leone Abolishes Death Penalty by Babalola0920: 7:17pm On Jul 23, 2021
CRIME RATE WILL SORE HIGH
Re: Sierra Leone Abolishes Death Penalty by Pavillon: 7:21pm On Jul 23, 2021
Davidonkonsults:

Lol. Attempt suicide and you will understand. You will be treated then prosecuted. The law is you shall not take life. Not even yours. Even euthanasia is not allowed. There may be exceptions though.
Not in Nigeria anyway, you attempt suicide and everyone shows compassion on you.

I read about Euthanasia and it seems legal in some country. Although the legality is still been debated in these countries. Majorly Moral and religious reasons.

1 Like

Re: Sierra Leone Abolishes Death Penalty by Coun3MAN: 7:37pm On Jul 23, 2021
Who ever kill should be kill daz just the simple rule, the world will remained a better place to leave.
Re: Sierra Leone Abolishes Death Penalty by egoldman(m): 7:48pm On Jul 23, 2021
This is a country that were killing themselves during their civil war, we had to send in our army through ecomog to restore peace.

Today they seem to value human live better than us, it's well.
Re: Sierra Leone Abolishes Death Penalty by Limassol(m): 7:58pm On Jul 23, 2021
Calitoscassius:
For you it is about saving money? sad wow! All the looted funds would have helped to take care of them.

In your view a murderer today can never become a better citizen in the future if given the chance.

By the way, how much taxes did you pay last year? Or this year? Tax payer! undecided
you did'nt properly understand my point,do you? By the way, your whataboutism won't change the fact incancerating people on death row for long period of time particularly older inmates is a waste of taxpayer money. Don't be fooled by human right activists; even in the US - seen as bastion of human rights and democracy firmly allow some states to carry out the death penalty. That said, so you honestly belive hardened muderers can out of the blue become good citizens? How naive could you be bro!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Slovakia Agrees To Pay For Russian Gas In Rubles / U.S. National Security Adviser, General Flynn, Resigns / Western Artillery Is Helping Ukrainian Forces Push Back Russian Invaders

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.