Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,461 members, 7,954,801 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 09:43 AM

'Greedy' Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 'Greedy' Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries (65172 Views)

I Feel Ashamed Nigerian Professors Earn Less Than $1000 A Month - TETFund Boss / Greedy Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries / List Of First Nigerian Professors In Various Disciplines (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 'Greedy' Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries by Davidonkonsults: 3:38pm On Jul 24, 2021
Many low IQ creatures here who don't understand sarcasm and cheek-in-tongue.

4 Likes

Re: 'Greedy' Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries by wewillbealright: 3:38pm On Jul 24, 2021
I hope this people are not seriously considering going for another strike if not I'll be forced to stop at this point sadly (Thank you Nigeria for failing your citizens)I'm only trying to be useful but with every turn I feel frustrated.
Re: 'Greedy' Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries by Nobody: 3:38pm On Jul 24, 2021
[s]
thebosstrevor1:

As if they were not paid before.

Lets start to pay them 6 million per month because they are lecturers
[/s]

Nigeria has no hope with people like this running around.

4 Likes

Re: 'Greedy' Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries by bjtinz: 3:39pm On Jul 24, 2021
Tadeknkeepcalm:

They were being sarcastic.
That's why it's in quotes. It's what the minister of education said

It's shocking the number of posters above that didn't get it.

More or less validates the point being made about the absymal educational system in the country.

2 Likes

Re: 'Greedy' Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries by TroubleMaker47(m): 3:40pm On Jul 24, 2021
So many Nairalanders with their poor reading culture!
They saw the headline and jumped to comment!
Shameful!

4 Likes

Re: 'Greedy' Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries by WoundedLamb: 3:41pm On Jul 24, 2021
I'd like to believe the comments on this thread don't represent the IQ of the average Nigerian.

2 Likes

Re: 'Greedy' Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries by Nobody: 3:41pm On Jul 24, 2021
bjtinz:

It's shocking the number of posters above that didn't get it.

More or less validates the point being made about the absymal educational system in the country.
They were after ftc

1 Like

Re: 'Greedy' Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries by neyoohhh: 3:42pm On Jul 24, 2021
Long unecessary epistle, what is the actual figure ?
Re: 'Greedy' Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries by TroubleMaker47(m): 3:42pm On Jul 24, 2021
Workch:
how is 400+ fat?

I earn 300+, i live alone and it’s still not enough, not to talk of a professor whom a lot people depend on financially
Oya carry gun!!! undecided
Re: 'Greedy' Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries by Judolisco(m): 3:44pm On Jul 24, 2021
Only an idiot will call dis fat salary... A senator earns 30 million per month most of them have ssce certificates
Re: 'Greedy' Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries by 4Play(m): 3:46pm On Jul 24, 2021
thebosstrevor1:
Why do they like to compare their salaries to other countries.

That is how our house of rep and Senate were comparing their salaries with the United states government salaries, now they take home about 20% of the budget.

It's the reasoning that fuels the public sector wage bill so that the government relies on borrowing to pay wages. It's like a Kano Pillars player demanding wage increases and justifying it by comparison to Orlando Pirates or Real Madrid players.

In a country with little or no pipe-borne water, public healthcare, policing resources, electricity, etc, the middle class's primary concern, like the political class, is to be given our "share" of the predominantly petroleum-derived tax income.

The logic that because politicians steal, more money should be funnelled to lecturers is hopelessly flawed. Even if politicians stole zero from the public purse, there are clear spending needs in infrastructure, public health, security, debt repayments, etc that ought to be prioritized before wages come into the equation.

1 Like

Re: 'Greedy' Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries by pclick(m): 3:46pm On Jul 24, 2021
[b][/b]there is nothing fat here if the info is true.. Lcpl NAF special forces instructor collect 197k... ssce oh... no blame military pls... one can't pay for life cos it's sacrifice..[

1 Like

Re: 'Greedy' Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries by Blesyn22(m): 3:48pm On Jul 24, 2021
One of the most underrated sector and system is the education system in Nigeria. No wonder why no youth wishes to become a teacher in whatever way yet they find themselves in it. Though school is scam but education is key. Most of 5he developed countries of the world get there policies from various scholars in the education sector they've invested in. The case is not so here in Nigeria. The system only celebrate mediocrity.

God help us. We have to work towards it.
Re: 'Greedy' Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries by Owopariola1: 3:48pm On Jul 24, 2021
They are well paid in the Nigerian context, especially when you consider that most jobs in Nigeria are around 50 to 200k.

And people should stop comparing them with politicians, those men are not the ones making the millions, it is allocations, unnecessary allowances, and the money given to them to pay for some useless aides that are making it seem huge.

If all those things unnecessary costs are cut out, most politicians won't earn more than #300 - #500k per month.
Re: 'Greedy' Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries by MhiztaSantos91(m): 3:50pm On Jul 24, 2021
KazikageSama:

Don't miss the sarcasm.

He's already missed it

2 Likes

Re: 'Greedy' Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries by Childofaking: 3:50pm On Jul 24, 2021
Lecturers salary is ridiculous. Our full experienced professors don't even earn $1000 after tax .
This is wicked

2 Likes

Re: 'Greedy' Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries by GrammarNazi1(m): 3:52pm On Jul 24, 2021
Racoon:
Lies and load of shitcrap. The executive and legislative (corrupt NASS) are the major economic burden on this failed nation.Their humongous entitlements, allowances, estacodes etc are just frightening to estimate.
The thread is sarcastic.
Re: 'Greedy' Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries by Fiscus105(m): 3:52pm On Jul 24, 2021
When you see what's going on in Nigeria universities most especially state owned, you will burst into tears

I pity students that are going for science and engineering courses in Nigeria's state own Universities. To me, they are only going there to acquire certificate and not to really build themselves.

I know a university in south west in which , it's more than 20 years ago they bought apparatus last in their science department.

And another one in which 3 academic staff for a whole department in one of their engineering departments, with no single tangible laboratory equipments.
Many depends solely on tetfund to build classrooms / lecture theatres and laboratory apparatus.

Yet, state and federal governments are establishing more and more universities everyday, they see it as a way to develop their areas.

3 Likes

Re: 'Greedy' Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries by Jman06(m): 3:53pm On Jul 24, 2021
It's not easy being a lecturer o! Academic work is not a joke tbh. I came to know this during my undergraduate research project. Unlike during my first degree, I was given a more robust research topic to work on. So many tests lasting for months. So many write ups, mehn! I was now asking myself, if Pharm.D research is like this, how would a PhD be Thank God it ended successfully.

I beg all the people involved to please pay our lecturers well o! It's not easy o

2 Likes

Re: 'Greedy' Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries by CodeTemplar: 3:58pm On Jul 24, 2021
The article is talking about poor pay and working conditions.
One part t the writer failed to stress is the reality of economy on ground, how graduates can hardly improve it and how it influences the pay structure.

Corruption isnt a one dimensional phenomenon. Not even two, three or four dimensional phenomenon in Nigeria.
Re: 'Greedy' Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries by Stanleyville(m): 4:00pm On Jul 24, 2021
shocked

In Nigeria if u are old and have grey hair..you be professor.
Re: 'Greedy' Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries by Goodvibes007: 4:02pm On Jul 24, 2021
Plomo:
But compared to other universities mentioned, how are their salaries fat?
Sarcastic topic title I guess.
Re: 'Greedy' Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries by Kagd10: 4:02pm On Jul 24, 2021
How much does the Useless senators and house of representatives collect? You people dey ment? Did you think lecturing job is an easy thing? The professional doctors, lawyers, architects, engineers, nurses etc we have today were brought up by the teachers and professors. Well, what do I expect from a country who have reduced education to nothing but rather champion Terrorism and bandits.

Meanwhile, you dare compare our Naira with the south African? Did you know the worth of South Africa in comparison to our worthless naira in Nigeria. You can't even Cook with nothing less than 5000 these days.

4 Likes

Re: 'Greedy' Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries by Fiscus105(m): 4:04pm On Jul 24, 2021
CodeTemplar:
The article is talking about poor pay and working conditions.
One part t the writer failed to stress is the reality of economy on ground, how graduates can hardly improve it and how it influences the pay structure.

Corruption isnt a one dimensional phenomenon. Not even two, three or four dimensional phenomenon in Nigeria.

If economy on the ground and the managers of respective governments known how huge to fund university, why establishing more and more on yearly basis?
......why giving birth to children one won't be able to take care?
Re: 'Greedy' Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries by Martartins(m): 4:08pm On Jul 24, 2021
Make I hear say Professors dey collect 400,000 for this Nigeria.... Them never sell books and handout finish self money don enter 1m.
Re: 'Greedy' Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries by CodeTemplar: 4:09pm On Jul 24, 2021
Fiscus105:

If economy on the ground and the managers of respective governments known how huge to fund university, why establishing more and more on yearly basis?
......why giving birth to children one won't be able to take care?
Govt isnt a one man affair and therefore open to exploitation for personal gain.same to for reproduction.
Re: 'Greedy' Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries by Samcent: 4:11pm On Jul 24, 2021
WaffenSS:
What have those professors contributed to humanity? No research, no research papers, no discoveries, no inventions.... they only churn out mediocrity bred on old textbooks and ineffective curriculums and teaching methods. Most hardly physically teach in class or online, and mostly sell handouts.

With little or no incentive for performance, do you want them to perform magic?
Research, publications, discoveries etc, all these require money and good infrastructure.
The salary is barely enough for the lecturers to take good care of themselves and their families. How would one think well when he is hungry and has unpaid bills all around.

If the salary stated in the article is what lecturers are actually paid, then the pay is grossly inadequate!
Re: 'Greedy' Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries by KosiGee(m): 4:11pm On Jul 24, 2021
Plomo:
But compared to other universities mentioned, how are their salaries fat?

It’s called sarcasm.
Re: 'Greedy' Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries by Harpesin(m): 4:13pm On Jul 24, 2021
I won't blame them cos when u look at what an illiterate Rep n Senator are earning with series of contract, Professors shd not carry last, it's not easy to study o

Thiwalade:

Dr Tade from vanguard.

Source : https://www.vanguardngr.com/2021/07/greedy-nigerian-professors-and-their-fat-salaries/

I gazed on in amusement as a professor retired sometime ago in a rather unceremonious manner. I could see his melancholic face as he gave his retirement speech, telling of various tales regarding sufferings he had to endure while on the job as though he's trying to motivate the junior collegeaues. I could see his facial expressions carried the "what next" remark in the evening as the event came to a close. He didn't seem a man happy to be retiring, probably unsure if he'll get his pensions.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

South African Students Do "Birth Pose". Photos Go Viral / Is This Not Too Much Sex Education For Kids? / 160 Question And Answers You May Ask About Open University(noun)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.