Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,195 members, 7,818,646 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:42 PM

'Greedy' Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 'Greedy' Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries (64762 Views)

Greedy Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries / List Of First Nigerian Professors And Their State Of Origin / List Of First Nigerian Professors In Various Disciplines (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 'Greedy' Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries by Samcent: 6:24pm On Jul 24, 2021
WaffenSS:

University professors don't use their salaries for research. What they do is make hypothesis based on their studies and knowledge, and seek for funding via grants.

These guys don't hypothesize anything besides political and religious pontifications, and an endless clamor for more money to their pockets.

Are grants available for every area of research?
Are available grants enough for every lecturer that would need it? What happens to those who fail to secure one?
For those able to secure a grant, is there adequate infrastructure to conduct their research to a fruitful end?

I visited the faculty of science in one of the Federal Universities, about two years ago, to see a lecturer friend. During work hours, there was no power in the faculty, not even from a generator! How will lecturers in that faculty carry out their research without electricity. The said friend eventually left for South Africa to complete his PhD.

My point is that the working condition of our university teachers greatly hinders their performance and output.

2 Likes

Re: 'Greedy' Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries by mikaael(m): 6:34pm On Jul 24, 2021
Jerryherd:
As much as I like hon Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba, because he is very intelligent... I strongly disagree on this.

Let him convert this petty money to dollars and see what paltry some it is

Professors are the peak of academic career, just like Supreme Court Justice, Brigadier general, President of their various fields and careers

That was a sarcastic post tho
Re: 'Greedy' Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries by Obidiugwu: 7:15pm On Jul 24, 2021
Wowwww....Dm us for different type of
Cars at affordable prices..ZeroEightOneThreeFourThreeFiveOneSixThreeSix
Re: 'Greedy' Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries by bilulu(m): 7:22pm On Jul 24, 2021
Faller:
I no like to chook mouth for this kind matter because my papa na Lecturer sef.......

If you think we survived on his salary throughout the years ..... your brain needs formatting....

The truth is since Buhari was able to bypass University and use his NEPA bill as certificate....The value of the Lecturers dropped because the politicians don't hold them in high esteem..... Once you have the proper connect... You're good to go ..You Don't need any professor for that .....Such a shame
Have you ever reminded yourself that it's those same lecturers/professors that normally rig those politicians into their various offices? what they suffer is what we call ripple effect. They always have to chance to right all the wrong but they always choose to sell their own future for a paltry sum..... who will you blame

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 'Greedy' Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries by FireEarthWind: 7:29pm On Jul 24, 2021
This one na deep o
Re: 'Greedy' Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries by Cmanforall: 8:07pm On Jul 24, 2021
gwinaB:

True we don't spend dollars in Nigeria but to participate in international conference or publish in high impact journals is computed in EUR and USD.
Secondly,that salary is no where close to what the write claim lecturers in South Africa earns.
Salaries should be increased among civil servants and lecturers, especially with the inflation rates in the country.
I'm still surprised to read some state governors are yet to implement the minimum wage of 30,000Naira.
And even more shameful, some governors are owing workers at this difficult time.
Re: 'Greedy' Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries by omogerohprecious(m): 8:35pm On Jul 24, 2021
Tofax:
There's nothing fat about their salaries. The salary of a lecturer in Nigeria is peanut when compared to their counterpart in other climes

It’s obvious you didn’t read the article
Re: 'Greedy' Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries by matm: 9:46pm On Jul 24, 2021
Primary school teachers are supposed to earn higher than lecturers.University students do almost all academic work themselves.But these set of teachers start with unknown to known in teaching learner's who can neither read nor write.They teach,they are also responsible for d learner's all round development.

1 Like

Re: 'Greedy' Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries by Workch: 9:49pm On Jul 24, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

So how much should a professor be collecting?

400k is fat, as far as i am concerned
They should be collecting as much as other professors in other countries

2 Likes

Re: 'Greedy' Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries by Workch: 9:56pm On Jul 24, 2021
Davidonkonsults:
Many low IQ creatures here who don't understand sarcasm and cheek-in-tongue.
I swear, products of bad and substandard professors. cheesy
Re: 'Greedy' Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries by Workch: 10:01pm On Jul 24, 2021
matm:
Primary school teachers are supposed to earn higher than lecturers.University students do almost all academic work themselves.But these set of teachers start with unknown to known in teaching learner's who can neither read nor write.They teach,they are also responsible for d learner's all round development.
You see how you are reasoning like a cow?

A NCE holder who learnt simple stuffs in school should earn more than a Phd holder that invested years and money into researches and even specialized in his field. Oya na, let them finish primary school then start solving salient societal problems without the professors.

You are a product of the bad education with your laughable reasoning.

3 Likes

Re: 'Greedy' Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries by God1stson(m): 11:24pm On Jul 24, 2021
Jerryherd:
As much as I like hon Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba, because he is very intelligent... I strongly disagree on this.

Let him convert this petty money to dollars and see what paltry some it is

Professors are the peak of academic career, just like Supreme Court Justice, Brigadier general, President of their various fields and careers

For the fact he said something like this I will consider him a slowpoke. Does he know d number of Thompson reuters journals they have to write in UNN before u become a Prof. If House members and senators can become multi millionaires in just 4 years why can't a Prof try to come close in almost 20-25yrs of hard work. Infact if that guy near me I for tiara m slap

Seun what's happening. I never used this word slowpoke I used slowpoke, how come it turned to slowpoke and can't modify
Re: 'Greedy' Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries by Nobody: 11:33pm On Jul 24, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

So how much should a professor be collecting?

400k is fat, as far as i am concerned

Quota system product, you definitely have nothing tangible to offer. Publishing and purchase of equipments alone is done in dollars not naira, conferences, workshop, all these are charged in dollars and euros. Do you think research is child's play? If you've done an undergraduate project you'll understand how Capital intensive research is. Thefairguy, and are far more reasonable than you. You give no room for logic just unnecessary biases based on your political affiliation.

2 Likes

Re: 'Greedy' Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries by madridsta007(m): 12:07am On Jul 25, 2021
Thiwalade:

Dr Tade from vanguard.

Source : https://www.vanguardngr.com/2021/07/greedy-nigerian-professors-and-their-fat-salaries/

I gazed on in amusement as a professor retired sometime ago in a rather unceremonious manner. I could see his melancholic face as he gave his retirement speech, telling of various tales regarding sufferings he had to endure while on the job as though he's trying to motivate the junior collegeaues. I could see his facial expressions carried the "what next" remark in the evening as the event came to a close. He didn't seem a man happy to be retiring, probably unsure if he'll get his pensions.

The best thing you can do as a Nigerian academic is to leave Nigeria.
This would be very selfish, but what are the alternatives?
Re: 'Greedy' Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries by Nobody: 12:33am On Jul 25, 2021
Thiwalade:

Quota system product, you definitely have nothing tangible to offer. Publishing and purchase of equipments alone is done in dollars not naira, conferences, workshop, all these are charged in dollars and euros. Do you think research is child's play? If you've done an undergraduate project you'll understand how Capital intensive research is. Thefairguy, and are far more reasonable than you. You give no room for logic just unnecessary biases based on your political affiliation.

Definition of why southerners are ignorant.

Write in english but write ignorantly.

1.You can publish your research on free journal sites and there are many of them.

2. Research is localised and you spend in naira.

3. Workshop and conferences are done locally and many of them are free of charge.

4. If you are sent for international conferences or worshop, it is mostly sponsored by grants or the university.

Sometimes the universities are the ones sponsoring the researchers.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 'Greedy' Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries by Ibegtodiffer: 7:47am On Jul 25, 2021
No nation can grow beyond the premium placed on her intelligentsia.
Re: 'Greedy' Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries by smartNerd: 7:53am On Jul 25, 2021
“Success usually comes to those who are too
busy looking for it.” — Henry David Thoreau
Re: 'Greedy' Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries by babavik: 9:07am On Jul 25, 2021
The same proffessors are made INEC Chairmen and Returning Officers and they end up helping corrupt politicians to cling unto power and come back to cry foul.
MENT....
Re: 'Greedy' Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries by Coolgent(m): 9:11am On Jul 25, 2021
Enn214:
All fingers aren't equal ..
Before making comparison let's also look at the working condition- are they allowed to run other businesses, & jobs aside their job
Dont mind them.
My cousin is a HOD in 2 Federal Universities, Visiting lecturer in 1 state university and federal.
Re: 'Greedy' Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries by Ibegtodiffer: 10:10am On Jul 25, 2021
Omoluabi1stborn:

What is the result of the money they are collecting?

In abroad, some of the professors use their own money to do some research and learn new things.

Guy,I am a farmer, sometimes I learn new thing about what I'm into on my own.

Everything about Nigeria Professors are copy and paste.

Lie, lie.

1 Like

Re: 'Greedy' Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries by Ibegtodiffer: 10:16am On Jul 25, 2021
Coolgent:

Dont mind them.
My cousin is a HOD in 2 Federal Universities, Visiting lecturer in 1 state university and federal.

Legendary lies. How can one person be the Head of Department in 2 Federal Universities (of course, plus lecturing and supervision) and yet visit another Fed Uni + state university!!! Is your cousin a Ghost? Haba!

2 Likes

Re: 'Greedy' Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries by Ibegtodiffer: 10:21am On Jul 25, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

1.You can publish your research on free journal sites and there are many of them.

3. Workshop and conferences are done locally and many of them are free of charge.

4. If you are sent for international conferences or worshop, it is mostly sponsored by grants or the university.

Obviously you're not ignorant. You're deliberately and dangerously mischievous.

1 Like

Re: 'Greedy' Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries by Ibegtodiffer: 10:29am On Jul 25, 2021
thebosstrevor1:
Why do they like to compare their salaries to other countries.

That is how our house of rep and Senate were comparing their salaries with the United states government salaries, now they take home about 20% of the budget.

... because Universities are compared and ranked globally (other countries).

When the payment package of your country's Academics is this low, you don't attract International academics which is a factor in global ranking of Universities.

1 Like

Re: 'Greedy' Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries by Ibegtodiffer: 11:08am On Jul 25, 2021
madridsta007:

The best thing you can do as a Nigerian academic is to leave Nigeria.y
This would be very selfish, but what are the alternatives?

...so many have left. Many more are leaving. But there is this insatiable feeling that comes with putting in efforts to make universities in other countries better, while yours is lagging behind.

2 Likes

Re: 'Greedy' Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries by clothingonline(m): 12:10pm On Jul 25, 2021
Both parties are at fault
Re: 'Greedy' Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries by Nostradamus1: 12:46pm On Jul 25, 2021
Naptu2

This thread is worst. I doubt if they can even read
Re: 'Greedy' Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries by madridsta007(m): 1:48pm On Jul 25, 2021
Ibegtodiffer:

...so many have left. Many more are leaving. But there is this insatiable feeling that comes with putting in efforts to make universities in other countries better, while yours is lagging behind.

I agree.
Wholesomely. My research is focused on the West and South America, but there was this joy I had when I presented at a conference in the motherland last year.
I guess we have to find a way to affect the inside from the outside.
Re: 'Greedy' Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries by redsun(m): 2:25pm On Jul 25, 2021
They are supposed to earn more than the wayward politicians under normal circumstances.

The continued existence and progress of the country will depend on the rational and productive academic elite. Right now, they are more or less none existent, that is why the country is on a downward spiral into oblivion.

The professors you have there right now are mostly unproductive and twisted puppets. They don't understand the strategic and illuminating importance of their positions.
Re: 'Greedy' Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries by Nobody: 2:29pm On Jul 25, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

Some open access journals have low impact factor and take ages before your work is published. That's even if your work is novel enough due to constraints of using old research methods. Thus, research in Nigeria is often limited to basic analysis which had mostly been run in other countries.

Only few labs have the equipment to run some high level research thus analysis of some samples is mostly transferred to European countries.
Let's call a spade a spade, the university system is under-equipped.
Re: 'Greedy' Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries by Nobody: 2:31pm On Jul 25, 2021
Ibegtodiffer:

Obviously you're not ignorant. You're deliberately and dangerously mischievous.
Re: 'Greedy' Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries by Ibegtodiffer: 2:30am On Jul 26, 2021
madridsta007:

I agree.
Wholesomely. My research is focused on the West and South America, but there was this joy I had when I presented at a conference in the motherland last year.
I guess we have to find a way to affect the inside from the outside.

Sure. It's the way to go.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Meet Chiamaka Deborah Motilewa, 25-Year-Old Covenant University PhD Holder / Funny Picture Of The Man That Created Exams / Covenant University Has The Best Fashionistas (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.