Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,132 members, 7,825,551 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 05:36 PM

Is It True Edo's (Bini people) Are The Lord's Of Most Southern Lands. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is It True Edo's (Bini people) Are The Lord's Of Most Southern Lands. (2085 Views)

Bini People Wetin Be This / I Need An English To Edo/bini Translation!! / Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It True Edo's (Bini people) Are The Lord's Of Most Southern Lands. by ThickSharon123(f): 1:23am On Jul 26, 2021
I want to ask, my popsy is Ghanaian, and my mom is a beautiful Igbo women, who isn't conservative.

Since my stay in this platform. EDO people claim that they ruled and owned Yoruba, Igbo and most people in the South, Ijaws, and the rest included. I'm not shaking tables, biko. But how true is this?

If it is, why does the Oba rule a kingdom just a few meters stretch, why are there no festivals honouring the Oba? Why would the Oba lose his strongholds so quickly after Colonialism? These are major questions that needs to be answered. I want an answer to this.
Meda wo Ase medaase, and Dalu too grin

1 Like

Re: Is It True Edo's (Bini people) Are The Lord's Of Most Southern Lands. by Goldbw122(m): 2:07am On Jul 26, 2021
Yeah we are.

2 Likes

Re: Is It True Edo's (Bini people) Are The Lord's Of Most Southern Lands. by ThickSharon123(f): 2:23am On Jul 26, 2021
Goldbw122:
Yeah we are.

What's your basis? Answer the questions on that. I told my mom that and she laughed, telling me to ignore you people. I want to know.
Re: Is It True Edo's (Bini people) Are The Lord's Of Most Southern Lands. by after4: 2:50am On Jul 26, 2021
You no see the mouth wey you take talk that rubbish?

Goldbw122:
Yeah we are.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It True Edo's (Bini people) Are The Lord's Of Most Southern Lands. by after4: 2:52am On Jul 26, 2021
You won't get good answer from nairaland. Look for maazi ogbonnaya on facebook and follow him. It's the trending issue now. Forget all these children on NL

ThickSharon123:

What's your basis? Answer the questions on that. I told my mom that and she laughed, telling me to ignore you people. I want to know.
Re: Is It True Edo's (Bini people) Are The Lord's Of Most Southern Lands. by ThickSharon123(f): 2:52am On Jul 26, 2021
after4:
You won't get good answer from nairaland. Look for maazi ogbonnaya on facebook and follow him. It's the trending issue now. Forget all these children on NL

Okay, dear. Thank you.
Re: Is It True Edo's (Bini people) Are The Lord's Of Most Southern Lands. by Goldbw122(m): 7:49am On Jul 26, 2021
after4:
You no see the mouth wey you take talk that rubbish?

A cute mouth indeed, and you what tribe are you? All tribe are special sha but Benin own just dey hype so leave am like that we de vex..

1 Like

Re: Is It True Edo's (Bini people) Are The Lord's Of Most Southern Lands. by Goldbw122(m): 7:53am On Jul 26, 2021
ThickSharon123:

Which state are you?
Re: Is It True Edo's (Bini people) Are The Lord's Of Most Southern Lands. by gregyboy(m): 8:58am On Jul 26, 2021
ThickSharon123:
I want to ask, my popsy is Ghanaian, and my mom is a beautiful Igbo women, who isn't conservative.

Since my stay in this platform. EDO people claim that they ruled and owned Yoruba, Igbo and most people in the South, Ijaws, and the rest included. I'm not shaking tables, biko. But how true is this?

If it is, why does the Oba rule a kingdom just a few meters stretch, why are there no festivals honouring the Oba? Why would the Oba lose his strongholds so quickly after Colonialism? These are major questions that needs to be answered. I want an answer to this.

The oba rules only benin in the present day and not even the entire edo state but his pre colonial influence stretched as wide as the whole of southern Nigeria....

Now to answer your question bini is a minority tribe probably 5 million in population and Nigeria is a cultural segregated country, after the fall of benin by the britsh empire, and the monarchy was restored back in 1914, some vassasl state under the former empire came to
Pay the traditional homage to the oba of benin after his reinstallation , the britsh refuted those vassal tribes who were doing such saying the oba is no more a lord over them that they are the new lord and forbade any other attempt....

Historically the bini empire was decentralized empire there was no unity between the various vassal under it,
everyone was ruled differently with the help of elected heads by the oba, there wasnt really an interaction between the various tribes under the empire

The oba also created enemity on his vassals state too selling them as slaves, which made him infamous to some tribe...

There are many factors which i cant list to this your question....

I hope you get the picture

Sharon you're indeed thick.. Feel like tasting u

4 Likes

Re: Is It True Edo's (Bini people) Are The Lord's Of Most Southern Lands. by after4: 11:07am On Jul 26, 2021
Everybody dey vex Nah but make unah no increase the vex

Goldbw122:

A cute mouth indeed, and you what tribe are you? All tribe are special sha but Benin own just dey hype so leave am like that we de vex..

1 Like

Re: Is It True Edo's (Bini people) Are The Lord's Of Most Southern Lands. by Goldbw122(m): 3:38pm On Jul 26, 2021
ThickSharon123:

You just need to be in Benin city yo understand, you know experience is the best teacher.

1 Like

Re: Is It True Edo's (Bini people) Are The Lord's Of Most Southern Lands. by davidnazee: 3:40pm On Jul 26, 2021
ThickSharon123:

You say you are partly Igbo, so go read about Olauduah Equiano, the first igbo person to write a book in 1770s.. He states that in his time before he was taken into slavery, the Oba of Benin was their ruler and his place (Anambra area) was part of Benin kingdom.

6 Likes

Re: Is It True Edo's (Bini people) Are The Lord's Of Most Southern Lands. by ThickSharon123(f): 3:44pm On Jul 26, 2021
davidnazee:

You say you are partly Igbo, so go read about Olauduah Equiano, the first igbo person to write a book in 1770s.. He states that in his time before he was taken into slavery, the Oba of Benin was their ruler and his place (Anambra area) was part of Benin kingdom.

I've read about him. My question, goes to this. One man's details of origin shouldn't be for all. And as I've read and how enlightened I am, I observed that the Oba was in good heads with most strangers in the land in those period, the Portuguese and English alike. That gave him the advantage to sell his people, when the strangers had supplied them guns.

So, for Equinos case, it's his pedigree and he can stick with it.

My question is, if the Edo ruled all, at lease there needs to be some things in the lands indicating his past rulership. Like, roads named for him, a honourable festival, names that directly like to the Oba, and all that stuff.

Oba had also sold other tribes, Eluado's side shouldn't be the only deduction to the story, dear. Thank you.

And to add, Oba rarely expanded his kingdom in the east. I know the Oba desired to expand, was he afraid of the East that he rarely expanded, or the West. It's numbing as I even think of it.
Re: Is It True Edo's (Bini people) Are The Lord's Of Most Southern Lands. by davidnazee: 4:48pm On Jul 26, 2021
ThickSharon123:

I've read about him. My question, goes to this. One man's details of origin shouldn't be for all. And as I've read and how enlightened I am, I observed that the Oba was in good heads with most strangers in the land in those period, the Portuguese and English alike. That gave him the advantage to sell his people, when the strangers had supplied them guns.

My question is, if the Edo ruled all, at lease there needs to be some things in the lands indicating his past rulership. Like, roads named for him, a honourable festival, names that directly like to the Oba, and all that stuff.

Oba had also sold other tribes, Eluado's side shouldn't be the only deduction to the story, dear. Thank you.

And to add, Oba rarely expanded his kingdom in the east. I know the Oba desired to expand, was he afraid of the East that he rarely expanded, or the West. It's numbing as I even think of it.

Well what has everything you read about Edo history suggests? Even if u don't believe them..
We didn't write them, most were documented hundreds years ago.

What you say about Olauduah Equiano isn't new, since his statement was published here Igbos have been denouncing him lol..

As for celebrating the Great Obas of Benin, when has Africans ever appreciated or acknowledged fellow Africans not of their tribe? We always put each other down because we feel we are better than fellow Africans..

Your concern about Edo is enough proof that Edos influence in your tribe..

Fact:: Many years ago, Edo ruled parts of Yoruba lands (Eastern yoruba) ruled all of Western Igbos, and parts of east igbos like onitsha and parts of Anambra according to Equiano..

8 Likes

Re: Is It True Edo's (Bini people) Are The Lord's Of Most Southern Lands. by ThickSharon123(f): 5:51pm On Jul 26, 2021
davidnazee:

Well what has everything you read about Edo history suggests? Even if u don't believe them..
We didn't write them, most were documented hundreds years ago.

What you say about Olauduah Equiano isn't new, since his statement was published here Igbos have been denouncing him lol..

As for celebrating the Great Obas of Benin, when has Africans ever appreciated or acknowledged fellow Africans not of their tribe? We always put each other down because we feel we are better than fellow Africans..

Your concern about Edo is enough proof that Edos influence in your tribe..

Fact:: Many years ago, Edo ruled parts of Yoruba lands (Eastern yoruba) ruled all of Western Igbos, and parts of east igbos like onitsha and parts of Anambra according to Equiano..

Africans don't do that. Most Ekiti-parapo people would say they aren't like other Yoruba's but still honor the Oni and all, the same with other tribes.

For the Igbos, we have Nsibidi, which originally came from Cross River, and we honor it in our lands. Your logic in-between didn't really make sense to me.

1 Like

Re: Is It True Edo's (Bini people) Are The Lord's Of Most Southern Lands. by RedboneSmith(m): 6:30pm On Jul 26, 2021
davidnazee:

Small question. Point me to the part of Equiano's book where he told you his village was in Anambra.

It's like people change the poor man's identity to suit their agenda at any given time. It is on this same forum that we have people running around saying he was from Ashaka in Delta State.

4 Likes

Re: Is It True Edo's (Bini people) Are The Lord's Of Most Southern Lands. by davidnazee: 6:43pm On Jul 26, 2021
RedboneSmith:

Small question. Point me to the part of Equiano's book where he told you his village was in Anambra.

It's like people change the poor man's identity to suit their agenda at any given time. It is on this same forum that we have people running around saying he was from Ashaka in Delta State.

People running around saying he is from delta state are eastern igbos who are trying to deny Benin's influence in the east igbo land..
Location of Equiano's village is in present day Anambra state

3 Likes

Re: Is It True Edo's (Bini people) Are The Lord's Of Most Southern Lands. by RedboneSmith(m): 7:14pm On Jul 26, 2021
davidnazee:

People running around saying he is from delta state are eastern igbos who are trying to deny Benin's influence in the east igbo land..
Location of Equiano's village is in present day Anambra state

Let me repeat my question: point me to the evidence in his book that he came from Anambra.
Re: Is It True Edo's (Bini people) Are The Lord's Of Most Southern Lands. by davidnazee: 7:31pm On Jul 26, 2021
RedboneSmith:
[/b]

Let me repeat my question: point me to the evidence in his book that he came from Anambra.

You can tell me which part of igboland he is from and i will agree with you.. it doesn't change the fact that he is Igbo.. and he confirmed that Oba of Benin ruled parts of igboland.

3 Likes

Re: Is It True Edo's (Bini people) Are The Lord's Of Most Southern Lands. by RedboneSmith(m): 8:32pm On Jul 26, 2021
davidnazee:

You can tell me which part of igboland he is from and i will agree with you.. it doesn't change the fact that he is Igbo.. and he confirmed that Oba of Benin ruled parts of igboland.

His being Igbo is not the question. The question is your claim that he was from Anambra, and using that claim as a basis to argue that Benin ruled some parts of the East.

There is ZERO evidence (ZERO!) that Benin armies fought in any part of the East, let alone conquer and incorporate an inch of Eastern territory into their 'empire'.

If you say some parts of Western Igbo area (emphasis on 'some'), then we can talk. But the East? Please, GTFOH.

1 Like

Re: Is It True Edo's (Bini people) Are The Lord's Of Most Southern Lands. by Nobody: 9:19pm On Jul 26, 2021
RedboneSmith:

His being Igbo is not the question. The question is your claim that he was from Anambra, and using that claim as a basis to argue that Benin ruled some parts of the East.

There is ZERO evidence (ZERO!) that Benin armies fought in any part of the East, let alone conquer and incorporate an inch of Eastern territory into their 'empire'.

If you say some parts of Western Igbo area (emphasis on 'some'), then we can talk. But the East? Please, GTFOH.

I've not seen you get angry like this before
Re: Is It True Edo's (Bini people) Are The Lord's Of Most Southern Lands. by samuk: 9:44pm On Jul 26, 2021
ThickSharon123:

Benin hardly wrote her history, infact it wasn't till the middle of the 20th century that a Benin person made the first attempt to write down Benin history. The best the Benin did in documenting her pre colonial history was in her artefacts.

The greatness, the influence of the Oba and the extent of the Benin empire were independently documented by Europeans who were actually eyewitnesses to what they wrote down since the 1400s.

For example Ida is in the middle belt of Nigeria, which is much further away from the east to Benin. In the 1500s the Europeans wrote about the Benin Ida war which the Benin worn against the Attah of Igala.

In 1602 a Dutchman wrote about how Lagos was already a military garrison with Benin soldiers that daily reports back to the Oba in Benin city.

It was documented that the Oba of Benin control a distance of 200 miles along the coast up to Dahomey. I am sure you have heard of the bight of Benin.

It was documented that the Oba of Benin had a standing army and could mobilise a military force of 100,000 soldiers in 24 hours.

It was documented that Europeans and Dutch mercenaries served in the Benin army. Benin was the first significant kingdom to acquire guys and canons, these with European mercenaries serving in Benin army greatly helped the Oba expand the Benin kingdom.

There was no force that was able to invade and defeat Benin since her written history began in the 1400s until 1897 when British destroyed the city.

Irrespective of what anyone may feel today, it doesn't change the fact that Benin history was independently written by Europeans eyewitnesses throughout the centuries beginning from the 1400s to 1800s.

Are you aware that Rome which is just a small part of Italy today once rule most part of Europe and part of North Africa? Infact Rome colonised Britain for 400 years. What national festival does Britain, Egypt and other part of Europe Rome once colonised have today to commemorate or celebrate Roman emperors or Rome. The difference between Africans and Europeans is Europeans acknowledges their historical past whilst Africa tries to downplay the achievements of their fellow Africans who is not of the same tribes as them.

Benin history is world history that wasn't written by Africans, so it's authenticity will always be acknowledged by serious historians because it was documented by eyewitnesses.

Have you read Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe autobiography about Benin/Onitsha relationship?

Some part of southern Nigeria that didn't directly feel the impact of the Oba of Benin rule were still greatly influenced by Benin people who migrated to those places. These Benin immigrants always become the ruling elites of those tribes, the reason you keep hearing various tribes across southern and middle belt Nigeria tracing their ancestral roots back to Benin.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is It True Edo's (Bini people) Are The Lord's Of Most Southern Lands. by ThickSharon123(f): 11:32pm On Jul 26, 2021
samuk:

Benin hardly wrote her history, infact it wasn't till the middle of the 20th century that a Benin person made the first attempt to write down Benin history. The best the Benin did in documenting her pre colonial history was in her artefacts.

The greatness, the influence of the Oba and the extent of the Benin empire were independently documented by Europeans who were actually eyewitnesses to what they wrote down since the 1400s.

For example Ida is in the middle belt of Nigeria, which is much further away from the east to Benin. In the 1500s the Europeans wrote about the Benin Ida war which the Benin worn against the Attah of Igala.

In 1602 a Dutchman wrote about how Lagos was already a military garrison with Benin soldiers that daily reports back to the Oba in Benin city.

It was documented that the Oba of Benin control a distance of 200 miles along the coast up to Dahomey. I am sure you have heard of the bight of Benin.

It was documented that the Oba of Benin had a standing army and could mobilise a military force of 100,000 soldiers in 24 hours.

It was documented that Europeans and Dutch mercenaries served in the Benin army. Benin was the first significant kingdom to acquire guys and canons, these with European mercenaries serving in Benin army greatly helped the Oba expand the Benin kingdom.

There was no force that was able to invade and defeat Benin since her written history began in the 1400s until 1897 when British destroyed the city.

Irrespective of what anyone may feel today, it doesn't change the fact that Benin history was independently written by Europeans eyewitnesses throughout the centuries beginning from the 1400s to 1800s.

Are you aware that Rome which is just a small part of Italy today once rule most part of Europe and part of North Africa? Infact Rome colonised Britain for 400 years. What national festival does Britain, Egypt and other part of Europe Rome once colonised have today to commemorate or celebrate Roman emperors or Rome. The difference between Africans and Europeans is Europeans acknowledges their historical past whilst Africa tries to downplay the achievements of their fellow Africans who is not of the same tribes as them.

Benin history is world history that wasn't written by Africans, so it's authenticity will always be acknowledged by serious historians because it was documented by eyewitnesses.

Have you read Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe autobiography about Benin/Onitsha relationship?

Some part of southern Nigeria that didn't directly feel the impact of the Oba of Benin rule were still greatly influenced by Benin people who migrated to those places. These Benin immigrants always become the ruling elites of those tribes, the reason you keep hearing various tribes across southern and middle belt Nigeria tracing their ancestral roots back to Benin.

Now when you talk of the Roman empire, their remnants can still be found in most parts of Africa and in Europe, one example in Africa is "The Great Alexandria" seaport of North Africa and more.

In Britain we have many that can be mentioned, and the Britons are proud that Rome is part of their history, followed with France, and the rest.

Now, the Bini people claim they ruled and ruled large expanse of land. They have no common cultural attire with the Igbo, language none, festival none, and all...that's one.

Secondly, the Oba seemed like he was thirsty to have more subjects under him, and as a king his worthy for that. The east was rich with not only resources that could be used for the Obas expansive agenda for that time, but people that can be applied to the military, why did he forsake them? The east, very well seems untouched to your Oba, in which you claim Igbos was under his rule.

The Obas main interest was the west, but I guess he tried but was resisted by them westerners.

And for the Onitsha and Bini relationship that you said doctor Nnamdi talked about, if they were so close, is it that they didn't know that there were more people like the Anambra people, and the Oba could conquer...my dear, this is all logic.

Using placards and bronze all isn't proof of rulership my dear, it was written by men (and please I'm not refuting that,)

But what bewilders me is the level of pristinity of the east when it comes to Benin. And if they influenced Onitshas why don't they speak a corrupted form of Benin at least, if they were in a so-called peaceful and harmonious relationship. It all doesn't make sense.

1 Like

Re: Is It True Edo's (Bini people) Are The Lord's Of Most Southern Lands. by samuk: 11:51pm On Jul 26, 2021
ThickSharon123:

Now when you talk of the Roman empire, their remnants can still be found in most parts of Africa and in Europe, one example in Africa is "The Great Alexandria" seaport of North Africa and more.

In Britain we have many that can be mentioned, and the Britons are proud that Rome is part of their history, followed with France, and the rest.

Now, the Bini people claim they ruled and ruled large expanse of land. They have no common cultural attire with the Igbo, language none, festival none, and all...that's one.

Secondly, the Oba seemed like he was thirsty to have more subjects under him, and as a king his worthy for that. The east was rich with not only resources that could be used for the Obas expansive agenda for that time, but people that can be applied to the military, why did he forsake them? The east, very well seems untouched to your Oba, in which you claim Igbos was under his rule.

The Obas main interest was the west, but I guess he tried but was resisted by them westerners.

And for the Onitsha and Bini relationship that you said doctor Nnamdi talked about, if they were so close, is it that they didn't know that there were more people like the Anambra people, and the Oba could conquer...my dear, this is all logic.

Using placards and bronze all isn't proof of rulership my dear, it was written by men (and please I'm not refuting that,)

But what bewilders me is the level of pristinity of the east when it comes to Benin. And if they influenced Onitshas why don't they speak a corrupted form of Benin at least, if they were in a so-called peaceful and harmonious relationship. It all doesn't make sense.

There are various sub Igbo clans across the east that either claim Benin ancestry or claim the Oba of Benin himself as Igbo.

Benin is all over Igbo history. Like I said earlier, places in the east that didn't come under direct control of Benin was indirectly influenced by Benin migrants that migrated there.

Hundreds of years ago, places were not exactly the same as they are today, Benin interests would have also varied.

Unlike the Europeans that acknowledge their past history, most Nigeria would rather deny Benin rule and influence over their lands, they even go as far as to twist the historical narrative in their favour. Even Benin names in such places are deliberately misinterpreted in attempts to deny Benin influence in such places.

Below are few stories of Benin told by Igbos. Benin was all over southern and part of middle belt Nigeria.

Maybe you should take your reservations up with your fellow Igbos making these various claims about Benin below.

The Oguta kingdom was established in like manners to the Benin Kingdom of Nigeria. Many people in Oguta believe that the Oguta people migrated from the ancient Benin Kingdom. They argue that the administrative set up, titles and common names have similarities to those of Bini people.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org › wiki
Eze-Igwe - Wikipedia

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.bbc.com/igbo/afirika-48565792&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwiPgLLynb7tAhXI2qQKHaWeBrQQFjAOegQICRAB&usg=AOvVaw3am-fbxDHnMAVrzuqkDP9h

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4xXMdK8HYQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytmPqtA65YY

1 Like

Re: Is It True Edo's (Bini people) Are The Lord's Of Most Southern Lands. by davidnazee: 12:06am On Jul 27, 2021
ThickSharon123:

Lagos is a remnant of Benin empire, so is Onitsha and Warri.. all these cities were colonies established by Benin Empire.. Lagos state official website acknowledges Benin empire's contribution to its beginnings..
If you are looking for traces of Benin's influence in these places, its is right in front of you.. even the traditional rulers from these places dresses like the Oba of Benin and even traces their origins from Benin..

FYI.. Onitsha are Benin people.. many of them acknowledge this.

2 Likes

Re: Is It True Edo's (Bini people) Are The Lord's Of Most Southern Lands. by ThickSharon123(f): 1:17am On Jul 27, 2021
samuk:

There are various sub Igbo clans across the east that either claim Benin ancestry or claim the Oba of Benin himself as Igbo.

Benin is all over Igbo history. Like I said earlier, places in the east that didn't come under direct control of Benin was indirectly influenced by Benin migrants that migrated there.

Hundreds of years ago, places were not exactly the same as they are today, Benin interests would have also varied.

Unlike the Europeans that acknowledge their past history, most Nigeria would rather deny Benin rule and influence over their lands, they even go as far as to twist the historical narrative in their favour. Even Benin names in such places are deliberately misinterpreted in attempts to deny Benin influence in such places.

Below are few stories of Benin told by Igbos. Benin was all over southern and part of middle belt Nigeria.

Maybe you should take your reservations up with your fellow Igbos making these various claims about Benin below.

The Oguta kingdom was established in like manners to the Benin Kingdom of Nigeria. Many people in Oguta believe that the Oguta people migrated from the ancient Benin Kingdom. They argue that the administrative set up, titles and common names have similarities to those of Bini people.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org › wiki
Eze-Igwe - Wikipedia

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.bbc.com/igbo/afirika-48565792&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwiPgLLynb7tAhXI2qQKHaWeBrQQFjAOegQICRAB&usg=AOvVaw3am-fbxDHnMAVrzuqkDP9h

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4xXMdK8HYQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytmPqtA65YY

Okay dear, now it makes sense, do you mean they are like cousins, the Igbo and the Bini people? If so it's now plausible, I watched the videos. Now, it makes sense, they were migrating and that's how he found the Kingdom and all.

I was so confused with all these. This just shows that most people in the South are literally brothers and one, but why the fight of who is superior to who? Very pitiful. Now, I can tell my mom this, and show her the video, let me see her reaction.

I love the aspect of unity rather than we were ruling you and all, even if it is there in hsitory, we are still one kind. smiley grin kiss
Re: Is It True Edo's (Bini people) Are The Lord's Of Most Southern Lands. by Etinosa1234: 1:45am On Jul 27, 2021
ThickSharon123:

Okay dear, now it makes sense, do you mean they are like cousins, the Igbo and the Bini people? If so it's now plausible, I watched the videos. Now, it makes sense, they were migrating and that's how he found the Kingdom and all.

I was so confused with all these. This just shows that most people in the South are literally brothers and one, but why the fight of who is superior to who? Very pitiful. Now, I can tell my mom this, and show her the video, let me see her reaction.

I love the aspect of unity rather than we were ruling you and all, even if it is there in hsitory, we are still one kind. smiley grin kiss

I smell serious violence in this thread grin grin

Most of the Southern tribes come from the YEAI tree.. some believe as migration happened, the language changes .. but there are at least some words that mean the same across tribes such as
Oma which means in Igbo, Benin, Urhobo as good
Ibata which means shoe in Benin and Yoruba..

But some illiterates and idiots will tell u that because One tribe is bigger than the other, then it must have Fed the smaller tribe some of its own words angry

But on a more serious note, the South can never be United...

There must be one form of division somewhere.. either someone brings up what ur forefathers did in the past or what u are doing in the present or whether u will be more successful than them in the future

Even this culture section is another clear example.. every body wants to claim superiority over the other...

Small argument dem don insult ur tribe grin grin

Anybody insult my own, I insult am back...

Las Las everybody na hypocrite grin

4 Likes

Re: Is It True Edo's (Bini people) Are The Lord's Of Most Southern Lands. by YungMillionaire: 2:39am On Jul 27, 2021
Bini na hype nothing dey there. Its just noise. He ruled over a few villages and conspired with the Portuguese to man the West African coasts for the purpose of selling millions of Africans to slavery. Binis legacy is slavery. Nothing more.
Re: Is It True Edo's (Bini people) Are The Lord's Of Most Southern Lands. by ThickSharon123(f): 4:16am On Jul 27, 2021
YungMillionaire:
Bini na hype nothing dey there. Its just noise. He ruled over a few villages and conspired with the Portuguese to man the West African coasts for the purpose of selling millions of Africans to slavery. Binis legacy is slavery. Nothing more.

Please stop, the Igbos and Bini people are cousins. Read the post and watch the video that he kept, you'll understand.

It shows why the Oba didn't desire to attack or raid all of the south east and all.

1 Like

Re: Is It True Edo's (Bini people) Are The Lord's Of Most Southern Lands. by samuk: 7:40am On Jul 27, 2021
Etinosa1234:

I smell serious violence in this thread grin grin

Most of the Southern tribes come from the YEAI tree.. some believe as migration happened, the language changes .. but there are at least some words that mean the same across tribes such as
Oma which means in Igbo, Benin, Urhobo as good
Ibata which means shoe in Benin and Yoruba..

But some illiterates and idiots will tell u that because One tribe is bigger than the other, then it must have Fed the smaller tribe some of its own words angry

But on a more serious note, the South can never be United...

There must be one form of division somewhere.. either someone brings up what ur forefathers did in the past or what u are doing in the present or whether u will be more successful than them in the future

Even this culture section is another clear example.. every body wants to claim superiority over the other...

Small argument dem don insult ur tribe grin grin

Anybody insult my own, I insult am back...

Las Las everybody na hypocrite grin

Why will there be violence? Do you expect the Benin to start another endless debate with Igbos? Can you prevent other tribes from coming up with their own versions and claims? Does Benin have the numbers to keep refuting these claims?

E shock you Abi. It's not only Yoruba that are laying claim to the Oba of Benin. Igbo also have their own version of the claim. Igala have their own and be expecting Hausas/Fulani and others to come up with theirs in due course, even expect claim from across west Africa, why not, Benin shouldn't just be for the south to own and celebrate, it's now the pride of Africa for all to own and celebrate. It's a global brand.

To know the significance of Benin in Africa history, watch the numerous videos and documentary on European reaction when the Benin artifacts was exhibited in September of 1897 in London. Benin is the pride of the black man, through their artworks, they change the Europeans perception of black being savages that lack history and ability of logical reasoning. I must admit must modern day Benin people don't even know the significance of Benin in world history. Check out various online videos of the debate on the return of Benin artifacts.

It now makes the arguments more easier, next time Yoruba comes up with their Oduduwa version, simply show them the Igbo version rather than going on this endless argument with them.

In terms of numbers, Benin don't have enough people to keep refuting these claims against either the Yorubas or the Igbos, so strategy must change. I even think the Oba of Benin and his chiefs should find ways to begin to unite his people in the east, west and middle belt.

Since both the Yoruba, Igbo and Igala acknowledge him as theirs, he should start inviting them to the annual igue festival. Benin kingdom was never a Benin city affairs and it shouldn't be now that her people all over Nigeria and up to Ghana are acknowledging her as their own. I am sure you have heard about GBD (Great Benin descendants) and the work they are doing to identify and reconnect with those that claim Benin descent across Nigeria and west Africa. They were recently in Ghana, check out their videos online.

The Palace must find ways to accommodate these people. Benin should take cue from Rome, although Rome fell centuries ago, her influence is still very much felt till today. The Pope is not just the holiest man on earth but also the most respected. The religion that made the Pope the holiest man wasn't a Roman religion but a Jewish one.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It True Edo's (Bini people) Are The Lord's Of Most Southern Lands. by Etinosa1234: 8:34am On Jul 27, 2021
YungMillionaire:
[s]Bini na hype nothing dey there. Its just noise. He ruled over a few villages and conspired with the Portuguese to man the West African coasts for the purpose of selling millions of Africans to slavery. Binis legacy is slavery. Nothing more[/s].

Like ur itsekiri is any better...

Every tribe engaged in slavery .. pretend u don't know that

ThickSharon123 Shey u see this thing... Now imagine how a Benin man will see this and be happy with the poster...

A United South is going to be very hard

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It True Edo's (Bini people) Are The Lord's Of Most Southern Lands. by samuk: 8:41am On Jul 27, 2021
Etinosa1234:

Like ur itsekiri is any better...

Every tribe engaged in slavery .. pretend u don't know that

ThickSharon123 Shey u see this thing... Now imagine how a Benin man will see this and be happy with the poster...

A United South is going to be very hard

If the Benin play their cards very well, they can unite the south.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Traditional Marriage In Aro Kingdom And Its Various Stages / Kini Mi Nyun Mi,kini Ki Nse Si? / Yoruba And Colours(a MUST READ)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.