Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,480 members, 7,819,751 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:18 PM

Is It True Edo's (Bini people) Are The Lord's Of Most Southern Lands. - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is It True Edo's (Bini people) Are The Lord's Of Most Southern Lands. (2077 Views)

Bini People Wetin Be This / I Need An English To Edo/bini Translation!! / Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It True Edo's (Bini people) Are The Lord's Of Most Southern Lands. by Nobody: 7:06am On Jul 28, 2021
ThickSharon123:

Now when you talk of the Roman empire, their remnants can still be found in most parts of Africa and in Europe, one example in Africa is "The Great Alexandria" seaport of North Africa and more.

In Britain we have many that can be mentioned, and the Britons are proud that Rome is part of their history, followed with France, and the rest.

Now, the Bini people claim they ruled and ruled large expanse of land. They have no common cultural attire with the Igbo, language none, festival none, and all...that's one.

Secondly, the Oba seemed like he was thirsty to have more subjects under him, and as a king his worthy for that. The east was rich with not only resources that could be used for the Obas expansive agenda for that time, but people that can be applied to the military, why did he forsake them? The east, very well seems untouched to your Oba, in which you claim Igbos was under his rule.

The Obas main interest was the west, but I guess he tried but was resisted by them westerners.

And for the Onitsha and Bini relationship that you said doctor Nnamdi talked about, if they were so close, is it that they didn't know that there were more people like the Anambra people, and the Oba could conquer...my dear, this is all logic.

Using placards and bronze all isn't proof of rulership my dear, it was written by men (and please I'm not refuting that,)

But what bewilders me is the level of pristinity of the east when it comes to Benin. And if they influenced Onitshas why don't they speak a corrupted form of Benin at least, if they were in a so-called peaceful and harmonious relationship. It all doesn't make sense.
You raised a question but when answers are being proffered to you ,it's obvious you are closed minded on hearing the truth..
Just say you want to spite the Benin and will we know how to handle your type.
Benin influenced, infact even sold and used part of igbo land for slavery, also yes Benin kingdom left traces of their impact in the igbo's dressing,languages and dialects,..
And obviously formed the ancestry of many monarchs of igboland..

It's obvious you are not well travelled,well informed or even open minded enough and unbaised to see this ..what more could I expect from a Ghanian, it's funny that every single person find away to spite the great history of the Benin empire, why can't you all contain your obsession with Edo people, most of the history we claim is proved and documented by European eye witnesses...na wah for una o

You don't know anything and you don't want to know
Re: Is It True Edo's (Bini people) Are The Lord's Of Most Southern Lands. by ThickSharon123(f): 1:37pm On Jul 28, 2021
Chidorx60:

You raised a question but when answers are being proffered to you ,it's obvious you are closed minded on hearing the truth..
Just say you want to spite the Benin and will we know how to handle your type.
Benin influenced, infact even sold and used part of igbo land for slavery, also yes Benin kingdom left traces of their impact in the igbo's dressing,languages and dialects,..
And obviously formed the ancestry of many monarchs of igboland..

It's obvious you are not well travelled,well informed or even open minded enough and unbaised to see this ..what more could I expect from a Ghanian, it's funny that every single person find away to spite the great history of the Benin empire, why can't you all contain your obsession with Edo people, most of the history we claim is proved and documented by European eye witnesses...na wah for una o

You don't know anything and you don't want to know

No, no, no... someone had already answered the questions, laid out above, and the main question is, 'If the Bini people influenced the east in any way, why don't they speak a corrupted language of the Bini language or even have their cultural style in any way?"

Luckily your kin had given a good answer to it. Your the one that is not knowledgeable enough to know the fact through logic and observation.

Look at the thread the answer had been given couple with the videos that made me quiet. Love kiss

1 Like

Re: Is It True Edo's (Bini people) Are The Lord's Of Most Southern Lands. by Blakjewelry(m): 5:18pm On Aug 21, 2021
ThickSharon123:
I want to ask, my popsy is Ghanaian, and my mom is a beautiful Igbo women, who isn't conservative.

Since my stay in this platform. EDO people claim that they ruled and owned Yoruba, Igbo and most people in the South, Ijaws, and the rest included. I'm not shaking tables, biko. But how true is this?

If it is, why does the Oba rule a kingdom just a few meters stretch, why are there no festivals honouring the Oba? Why would the Oba lose his strongholds so quickly after Colonialism? These are major questions that needs to be answered. I want an answer to this.
Meda wo Ase medaase, and Dalu too grin
I only saw this recently. History does not support such claim. Though some of the southern states owe their original to the Benin kingdom, not all have their origin linked to the ancient kingdom. Secondly even though some of them owe their origin to the Benin kingdom, the kingdom did have direct control over the region aside the kingdom. The ones that owe their origin to kingdom are people left the kingdom at one time due to war, persecution or one thing or the other. I don't think the ijaws, and some igbos don't owe their origin to the Benin to the Benin kingdom. Also when the white men first entered through the south, the ijaw is one of the tribe they encounter also you can also see like the igbos they don't have kings to rule over them rather they headed by clan heads
Re: Is It True Edo's (Bini people) Are The Lord's Of Most Southern Lands. by Blakjewelry(m): 5:22pm On Aug 21, 2021
ThickSharon123:

I've read about him. My question, goes to this. One man's details of origin shouldn't be for all. And as I've read and how enlightened I am, I observed that the Oba was in good heads with most strangers in the land in those period, the Portuguese and English alike. That gave him the advantage to sell his people, when the strangers had supplied them guns.

So, for Equinos case, it's his pedigree and he can stick with it.

My question is, if the Edo ruled all, at lease there needs to be some things in the lands indicating his past rulership. Like, roads named for him, a honourable festival, names that directly like to the Oba, and all that stuff.

Oba had also sold other tribes, Eluado's side shouldn't be the only deduction to the story, dear. Thank you.

And to add, Oba rarely expanded his kingdom in the east. I know the Oba desired to expand, was he afraid of the East that he rarely expanded, or the West. It's numbing as I even think of it.
Some I don't if it's the full onitsha but they said they have their origin from Benin kingdom, a friend of mine from there first mentioned it, but not the entire Igbo people hold such view
Re: Is It True Edo's (Bini people) Are The Lord's Of Most Southern Lands. by Blakjewelry(m): 5:26pm On Aug 21, 2021
davidnazee:

Well what has everything you read about Edo history suggests? Even if u don't believe them..
We didn't write them, most were documented hundreds years ago.

What you say about Olauduah Equiano isn't new, since his statement was published here Igbos have been denouncing him lol..

As for celebrating the Great Obas of Benin, when has Africans ever appreciated or acknowledged fellow Africans not of their tribe? We always put each other down because we feel we are better than fellow Africans..

Your concern about Edo is enough proof that Edos influence in your tribe..

Fact:: Many years ago, Edo ruled parts of Yoruba lands (Eastern yoruba) ruled all of Western Igbos, and parts of east igbos like onitsha and parts of Anambra according to Equiano..

The story I heard was something like an escape prince that settled in onitsha though I heard he later predge is allegiance to the Benin kingdom
Re: Is It True Edo's (Bini people) Are The Lord's Of Most Southern Lands. by ThickSharon123(f): 5:28pm On Aug 21, 2021
Blakjewelry:

I only saw this recently. History does not support such claim. Though some of the southern states owe their original to the Benin kingdom, not all have their origin linked to the ancient kingdom. Secondly even though some of them owe their origin to the Benin kingdom, the kingdom did have direct control over the region aside the kingdom. The ones that owe their origin to kingdom are people left the kingdom at one time due to war, persecution or one thing or the other. I don't think the ijaws, and some igbos don't owe their origin to the Benin to the Benin kingdom. Also when the white men first entered through the south, the ijaw is one of the tribe they encounter also you can also see like the igbos they don't have kings to rule over them rather they headed by clan heads

But Ijaws have kings now, does thatean its recent. Becuase most of them say, their king-heads have been for years.
Re: Is It True Edo's (Bini people) Are The Lord's Of Most Southern Lands. by Blakjewelry(m): 5:37pm On Aug 21, 2021
ThickSharon123:

But Ijaws have kings now, does thatean its recent. Becuase most of them say, their king-heads have been for years.
That change is more of a recent thing just like you see igwe in some Igbo land these are more of recent changes
Re: Is It True Edo's (Bini people) Are The Lord's Of Most Southern Lands. by Naigleria1: 2:12am On Aug 22, 2021
davidnazee:

You say you are partly Igbo, so go read about Olauduah Equiano, the first igbo person to write a book in 1770s.. He states that in his time before he was taken into slavery, the Oba of Benin was their ruler and his place (Anambra area) was part of Benin kingdom.

So ukwuani are part of anambra now?

1 Like

Re: Is It True Edo's (Bini people) Are The Lord's Of Most Southern Lands. by Naigleria1: 2:23am On Aug 22, 2021
davidnazee:

You can tell me which part of igboland he is from and i will agree with you.. it doesn't change the fact that he is Igbo.. and he confirmed that Oba of Benin ruled parts of igboland.

Why are you acting like igbos didn’t influence the Benin kingdom as well. Why do you think some edos celebrate new yam, igu aro and even use the Igbo week days.

Why are you guys over hyping yourselves like do you know how diverse the empire was. Your monarchical title was gotten from the Yoruba, your market days from the Igbo, etc

In the same edo state where your influence starts and stops I can mention like five indigenious tribes

I come from delta state and I don’t know if any bini influence in my culture.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It True Edo's (Bini people) Are The Lord's Of Most Southern Lands. by Abohboy: 12:29pm On Aug 24, 2021
Naigleria1:

Why are you acting like igbos didn’t influence the Benin kingdom as well. Why do you think some edos celebrate new yam, igu aro and even use the Igbo week days.

Why are you guys over hyping yourselves like do you know how diverse the empire was. Your monarchical title was gotten from the Yoruba, your week days from the Igbo, etc

In the same edo state where your influence starts and stops I can mention like five indigenious tribes

I come from delta state and I don’t know if any bini influence in my culture.

This is what i've been trying to say the Bini were highly influenced by the people around them their actual influence on other groups is almost unexistent.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Am Not Igbo But Let Biafra Be Given There Freedom. / THROW BACK : White Woman Learning How To Wash Cloth From Nigerian Women In 1915 / Ooni Of Ife's New Wife Wuraola In Hot Selfie Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.