Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,566 members, 7,812,830 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:14 PM

New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? (6586 Views)

Finally The New NYSC DG Did It!!! Congrats 16A / Pictures Of New NYSC Certificates / Was The New Nysc Posting Policy Fully Implemented? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? by samonchi4u: 1:15am On Jul 18, 2007
<< Update: NYSC Ordered To Accept All Graduates! >>

I think Nigerians should react to sensitive issue like this because it is absolutely heart-rending and absurd.How can someone struggle for four,five years and above in school,graduated against all odds with good grades and what is supposed to be the next stage in his or her career will then be obstructed unjustly.

How can a school send the list of graduating students that are supposed to participate in the NYSC Orientation Exercise to the NYSC and the NYSC,in quid pro quo starts screening or reducing the number of students that suppose to participate to the bearest minimum.THIS IS UNFAIR!

This Ugly trend come into play in the name of LACK OF FUNDs.
If the Orientation Exercise eventually becomes the survival of the fittests,then i think it should be scrabbed.

I am through with my own NYSC Service but i envisage the stress the intending corpers will pass through before they will be allowed to go to CAMP because of the Newly Introduced System which i think is a Cankerworm.I av got the premonition that this might cause Chaos in Nigeria Education System

So,what is your own opinion to this issue? Your contribution will go a long way in encouraging and motivating the intending CORPERS.

I rest my case! angry
Re: New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? by olanajim(m): 4:11am On Jul 18, 2007
They should scrape the whole programme. It is a waste of time really. Maybe there should be a revolt at least to draw attention to the suffering of our youths.
Re: New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? by bricks(m): 5:59am On Jul 18, 2007
Hey! i don't think i agree with you Olajim.I've done my youth service & i can proudly say i enjoyed every bit of it as it was an eye opening experience for me.I totally agree that a lot need to be done in improving things in the system & i think that should be what we should be pushing for & not a total scrap cos a lot of other countries have thier own form of national youth service;am telling you that authoritatively. cool
Re: New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? by olanajim(m): 8:50am On Jul 18, 2007
I have equaly done my own youth service and enjoyed every bit of it. If fact, I wish the fun never end. That is if i look at it from that angle.
However, when you come out of your comfort zone and see the thousands that hat only tear of regret to shed, and the fact that most the beautiful programme is becoming obstacle rather than pathway, then we should do the best thing, 'scrape it or reform it.
It had defiled reforms and is already a drain pipe when millions are being wasted yearly.
Again, if you look at the way they are going, soon they would start calling for PPP just as they are doing for education. The money being lavished on the scheme should be -directed at reviving our education. Let the private sector initiate or take over NYSC and don't make it compulsory (though it maybe advantage) this would allow disaffected youths another alternative.
Finally, age discrimination is a serious problems that had been confronting jobseekers. It is one of the reasons for mass poverty and crime surges. Most graduates either have to falsify their age or stay longer in labour market.
Personally, I would want the NYSC to stay. But you cannot define success of a programme simply because you have fun. The future is equally important. Think of the human waste and you would understand better.
Re: New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? by shawn123: 9:27am On Jul 18, 2007
hi guys, lets look at the whole NYSC aim critically. It was planned so we Nigerians can serve the nation and meet other Nigerians from different parts of the country. BUT OBVIOUSLY IT IS NOT WORKING AS 1) PEOPLE SERVE WHERE THEY WANT AS IT CAN BE WORKED THAT WAY.  2) EVEN IN CAMPS YOU NOTICE THE PRIVELEDGED ONES GET POSTED TO BANKS, OIL COMPANIES AND TELECOMS. 3) IF YOU DONT KNOW SOMEBODY YOU WILL PROBABLY END UP IN A VILLAGE SOMEWHERE.
My point is 12 months of your life wasted completely, the government cant afford to cater for the people so it should be scrapped or shouldnt be mandatory for everybody, you only serve if you want to or like other advanced countries you serve in the military if you know you want to be in the government. Its funny after all the strike and 7 years in some school and then you have to go for NYSC? guys dont you see that part of the reason why we have over aged graduated that cant get jobs when most jobs are for 25/27. For me i have served and it really didnt make any sense because i would have done more for myself in 1 year and fun isnt even an option am sure we all had fun in school!
Re: New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? by bighead: 10:01am On Jul 18, 2007
I cann't but agree with my brothers-Olanajim and Shawn123.I did my NYSC two years back and had 'fun'.But what next?Age was almost against me to get a job.I spent 5yrs for a f4yr course and stayed at home for some 14months before service(No thanks to my school internal ASUU & NASU strikes)I dont know how i would ve felt if i was told to stay longer because of LACK OF FUND.Some are favouree by the powers that be to serve in choice places while those favoured by the powers that dont be get the worst in the name of NYSC.
My opinion is either govt take steps to effectively reform the scheme or make it optional(that NYSC certificate wouldnt be a pre-requisite for employment or they scrap the program so that my brothers wouldnt run out of employment age 24-28?
Re: New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? by jimmyjatt(m): 11:04am On Jul 18, 2007
I really want to thank everyone who have in one way or the other contributed to thid topic. I am really encouraged by ur selfless concern on this issue.
I am one of the affected ¨intending corpers¨.
I wrote my UME on may 6 2000 believing I was still very young and I could find my way easily into the labour market but I bet u I av a totally different mentality today.
I studied ECE in LASU and without an extra year or any form admission deferrence here I am, still intendind to serve.
So many opportunities come your way and you will always hear the same story, oh sorry we r very interested in u but its against the company´s policy to employ intending corpers and all that, I´ve heard a lot of that.
Read in the dailies that the Govt cant afford N127,000 per annum for a corper and we have some of our leaders stealing N36 Billion in a day.
Its really disheartening.
I just wanna use this medium to plead with President Umar Yar´adua, General Bomoi and all others concerned to see that something is urgently done so we can spend our ¨one year in exile¨ as at when due.
Thank u all once again
Re: New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? by Mandora(f): 11:29am On Jul 18, 2007
I am one person who toatlly believes dat NYSC is total waste of time. 1st I was at home 4 almost a year b4 I got called up during dis time I cld do no serious work because I had not served. Nxt I had d misfortune of serving during Gen. Oki's tenure when almost everybody taught so it's not like I did something productive during my service year dat has improve my lot as a corporate citizen. And now dey say dey r operating a quota system. It's absolutely hilarious. I think d Fed. Govt shld b bold enough 2 come out n confess dat d objectives of dis scheme can no longer work and dey shld scrap d whole thing. Aside of having met pple ( a large percentage of which I currently do not know their whereabouts) I dont know wat else it did 4 me. I had some fun though wit d pple I met but dat doesn't count 4 much.
Re: New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? by bimbliss(f): 11:40am On Jul 18, 2007
am a serving corper presently and well i think am enjoying myself just because am fortunate to serve in the city and in a big company but i have two other sisters and a brother serving in the remote areas of this country and one of them has a first class just wasting it away in the village while one is serving as a transport director for NCCF because thats the best he can do this means automatical 1 year waste, isnt it. i think if the govt cannt finance NYSC any longer it should be scapped and that is because for the folks who have to cater for themselves where ever they are posted to  with  8500 allowance from NYSC and maybe 5000 from the organisation where they are serving of which some are paid less than 5000 how do they survive?
to tell you the truth it is only the children of the rich who their parents still give money while serving that enjoy the program but another truth is that some get so fortunate and its astepping stone for them to great places. so let everyone weigh the available options and objetively decide if the program should be scrapped or not. tongue tongue tongue
Re: New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? by aluwe(m): 12:01pm On Jul 18, 2007
Men me i jus tire

Heard the news yesterday, I graduated November 2006 and we missed March Batch and i was like OK, bad as e bad September, only for me to hear of "QUOTA".Now am trembling at the thot that i will be jobless till March 2008. I had to cut my holiday short cos of September.I dont have ticket money again oh

God Abeg oh, Nairalanders help me fast and pray. While I pull my small strings

N:B Anybody papa here de work 4 NYSC.Help a brother out.
Re: New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? by fashfisher(m): 12:02pm On Jul 18, 2007
if nysc saying a uni with about 1200 grads should sent just 40 the scheme should be scraped. i personally see the scheme as a waste of time  angry so the faster they scrap (not reform) it the better. i hope not to hear of it by this time next yeari don't think i want to know what it feels like
Re: New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? by DisGuy: 12:11pm On Jul 18, 2007
what about a peaceful demonstration in abuja or every state of the country or you can camp outside the ministry of education for a week or so to get the point across. start writing letter to newspaper editors to highlight the problems. come on people dont suffer in silence wink
Re: New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? by Tinkinguy(m): 3:03pm On Jul 18, 2007
thats what you get for been a nigerian, wen will things ever get better in this country. when FG cant support NYSC, my brodas, whats the need to continue the programme.
Ya, me I served 5 years ago and can tell you I strugled to get my self a related place with my course of study, and even at den since I was determine to succeed, I had to do lots  of things for seltling middle belt crisis (Food). However, I can tell you that the program had lost its savor, and no longer at easy.

When push comes to shove like this, its imperative to give it a break, why suffering pple who spent 5-7 of their years studing, where U had ASUU strike to contend, missing scripts, enuf and irrelvant test bboks and handout from leactures, while looking at your age, (as you shouldnt be in school after 24 yrs if not U re already out of luck for employment, only in dis Nigeria)

and after, some pple will sit somewere and say its time for quota, to which they will maanipulate the names and file in their children, cousins and relations.

This NYSC program is now useless, its aim and objectives defected and its high time, FG recoganised this and stop wasting its time.

I call for a drop of the programe.
Re: New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? by BlackMamba(m): 3:35pm On Jul 18, 2007
What exactly is the "New NYSC Quota System". Do they deny graduates duly certified to them from the universities from participating? That could be a ground for a law suit. Government should not deny it's citizens means of livelihood, especially since the law provides that you must serve as a condition for employment. If government must enforce the NYSC law, then they must allow every eligible graduate to serve as at when due.
I hope this complaint is not about schools not sending the list of eligible graduates to NYSC on time. I know something similar used to happen with the Nigeria Law School, where some universities scramble to send the list of qualified graduates at the very last minute, to have them denied admission.
Re: New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? by Nobody: 4:24pm On Jul 18, 2007
well, being a fresh graduate myself and already having plans for the next phase of my life, this quota crap is just not what i need. already, the program is becoming kind of like a drag no to now have it postponed till later.
if there are money problems, then they should scrap the program and use the available money to develop all those villages where they would alternatively have posted us.
scrap the nysc program now and let us get on with our lives. 4-6 years in uni is no joke.
Re: New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? by Johnny(m): 4:54pm On Jul 18, 2007
It's quite unfortunate that this's happening now. But you can not heave all the blames on either the government or the respective schools. The truth of the matter is that the number of graduates being chunned out of our higher institutions is alarming, and there are no facilities on ground to accomodate all these graduates at the same time. We have heard of '3 batches' instead of the normal and existing '2 batches'; This too is good. Now the the so - called quota system. This remains a myth. It's now the case of who you know in Abuja that determines when you go for your service. This's very unfortunate. If my opinion is to be seeked concerning this issue, I will say that the NYSC scheme be scrapped, the money budgeted for every corp member be payed cash to every graduate cleared by his/her institution. This will go a long way in helping graduates to start something with the money paid in cash pending when a plum job comes. I think NYSC scheme has lost it's direction and grauates should not be made the scape-goat.
Re: New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? by dreday(m): 6:17pm On Jul 18, 2007
Guys,guys,guys!!!!!!!!!!11

All this plenty talk for one nonsense scheme.
As far as I'm concerned,the whole NYSsh.t thing should have been scrapped years ago.
With the number of youth corp members who die annually 'cos of some useless govt. policy that was made for a time & season that demanded it.
Let's face it people, the program has outlived its usefulness, that's if it ever had one.
And now they come up with some crappy excuse for their inefficiency and sloppy attitudes. RIDICULOUS
I have a funny feeling they may soon start asking the corpers to pay for their upkeep if they're so desperate to serve their fatherland.
Hmmmmmn
Naija & her ways, God go deliver us one day sha
Re: New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? by bimbliss(f): 7:05pm On Jul 18, 2007
is not this kind of matters that the senator/legislators should be looking into?
anyway the way out should be the thing now
how do we get to let the govt know that if thet cannot cope with the population of graduates going for NYSC then it should be stopped
let everyone find his level when he or she graduates
best of luck intending corpers
Re: New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? by mystikal(m): 7:38pm On Jul 18, 2007
WHAT EXACTLY IS THIS "NEW NYSC QUOTA SYSTEM?
Re: New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? by Emerile(m): 7:52pm On Jul 18, 2007
Brothers and sisters, if i tell u i have had a peaceful nite since the news of this quota system got to me,then i am lying.I learnt my school-UNIBEN 2 b precise sent its name of intending corpers to NYSC and it was rejected because it exceeded d so called quota.and it has been asked 2 educe it 4rm 1700 to 1200. I can't imagine wasting 12 months at home after graduating since sept last year only to be told i wuld have 2 waste even one more day becos of this nonsense called quota.i sincerely think the govt should scrap this NYSC if it cannot continue to cater for the numerous graduates qualified 4 this scheme.
The problem now is how can we start passing this message to the appropriate authourities so as to stop this madness of injustice been melted in us.Intending corpers should pls start speakng up.I still think we need the help of our elders-i mean those who have served already. cry
Re: New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? by oyie(f): 8:18pm On Jul 18, 2007
this is sad and disheartening.NYSC was a good idea,personally i had fun but in reality wasted about 2 and a half years of my life!maybe it should be scrapped if it cant be improved upon
Re: New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? by Nobody: 8:40pm On Jul 18, 2007
oyie:

this is sad and disheartening.NYSC was a good idea,personally i had fun but in reality wasted about 2 and a half years of my life!maybe it should be scrapped if it can't be improved upon

I dont get this. Thot twas supposed 2 be for 1 yr ,
Re: New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? by deeja(m): 11:36pm On Jul 18, 2007
Enough of opinions.We need action.What are the so called NANS executives doing if they cannot mobilize pple to march to the Senate and get the media to broadcast our grieviances?We need to act fast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? by BlackMamba(m): 12:54am On Jul 19, 2007
mystikal:
WHAT EXACTLY IS THIS "NEW NYSC QUOTA SYSTEM?

I'm beginning to wonder if any such policy exists or just Naijatalk. If anyone has actual knowledge, please inform us.
Re: New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? by otokx(m): 8:28am On Jul 19, 2007
The NYSC quota stuff is an aberration. You have 3000 candidates qualified from a university and NYSC says it has money to cater for only 550 so the remaining 2450 will have to wait another 7 months to know if there might be space for them plus the another 2000 which will have graduated by then.
Re: New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? by Nobody: 11:32am On Jul 19, 2007
NYSC is a complete waste of time!!!

@ all those that claim that they enjoyed it, i guess they never attended a boarding School or a university outside their state of residence else they'd know better than wasting 1 complete year in some remote area without aquiring any relevant skills
Re: New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? by Princesege(m): 11:42am On Jul 19, 2007
I dont want to comment or waste my time in this matter. I will rather prefer to act by way of law suit against the Fed govt. Before I could do that, I must act on facts and figures. Therefore, if anyone has the fact or a link to where the said "quota" was published, please paste it here. We Nigerians like to shout and mourn in silence without necessary action to drive home our demand. Our demand in this case is very simple, "If Fed.Govt can not fund NYSC or do not have resources to fund NYSC, then it should be scrapped". There is no two way about it. Enough of playing upon intelligence of Nigerian Masses. We say no any form of QUOTA sytem for NYSC, we say no to  ineffectiveness, we say no to draconian policy that will further improverish Nigerian youths, we say no to wasting the productive years of Nigerian youths, we say no to slavery in the form of NYSC, we say no all forms of intimidation in the name of quota. We Nigerian youths are resloute and prepared to fight all these corrupt individuals who can not see beyond their nose but derive joy in mortgaging the lifes of Nigerian youths. There is no better time for we Nigerian youths to rise up and match to the National assembley to voice out this injustice. The time is now to act.

Prince
Re: New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? by hannydarl(f): 12:10pm On Jul 19, 2007
I believe it should be scraped I know there are some people who enjoy the NYSC thing but lets face facts its only a lucky few who can say they realy enjoyed it those who served in firms that gave them accomodation and paid them well now if this bounties cannot be shared equally among the sons of hard working nigerians then the programe should be thrown into the trash can. The big big men choping our money take out 20 naira from the national purse and spend one kobo on the scheme and lie that the money was not enough. their kids dont suffer they are chaufer driven and before you know it they have the juiciest of jobs but the poormans child has to pay the price in the name of serving a mother land that doesnt know how he mannaged to get his degree against all odds in the first place.
My verdict scrape the NYSC scheme or make it a thing youths and I mean all youths will says it was realy fun serving ones mother land.
Re: New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? by Nobody: 12:44pm On Jul 19, 2007
If the FG is tired of funding the NYSC Project, I suggest they scrap it. Although, i was of the opinion that it shouldn't be scrapped initially. but i've come to realise that the increase in the number of graduates every year is alarming most especially since the inception/operation of Private Universities.

In some years back NYSC was SWEET, let me say SWEETEST, because, the number of graduates then, was minimal compare to what we have now. Then, we only had graduates from Federal/State Universities, Polytechnic etc. But now there are thousands of graduates from Private Institutions!! which makes the funding unbearable.

So, If the FG can't accomodate the influx from Private Institutions, I suggest they should scrap it. cry  cry . But i can't forget in a jiffy the experience i had during my service year. I enjoyed every bit of it.
The scrapping should be from Next year oooo. Not immediate Please. i have a strong reason for this,  grin  grin
Re: New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? by zaksman(m): 1:05pm On Jul 19, 2007
the common #8500 wey corpers de get ,Govt wan do black belle grin. na wa for Nija.
we must survive by Gods grace. on a serious note, i advice the govt to cancel
this nysc of a shit. its a complete waste of time.
Re: New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? by DisGuy: 2:21pm On Jul 19, 2007
the quota was discussed in punch newspaper about 3days ago. sad thing nigerian newspapers dont have a proper archiving system
Re: New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? by folaniyi: 2:52pm On Jul 19, 2007
let me start by saying that this is a show of shame on our educational system in this country. This is because i do not see why NYSC should come out in the open to say that as a result of the lack of funds they will have to be reducing the number of corpers considering the amount of money our so called politicians are carting away from this country on a daily basis.

I am currently on my own service year in cross river and i must say that the government has not done anytin to better the sysytem and now to make the matter worse they are now coming with quota system. Let me say here that our generation shall never pray for all Nigerian leaders and politicians alike because they have put us under hardship and if they believe that they have made enough money that even their unborn children cannot suffer then they are lying,nemesis will oneday catch up with them and if they do not live to suffer it their children and grandchildren will.

As to nysc, i will just advise that they should not introduce the quota system but if they do then we should know that our educational system has just begin to crumble this is because the others that will be left behind will constitute more more trouble both for their institution and also the society at large.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Batch B 2014 Posted To Borno Let's Meet Here / Nim-nysc Examination Past Questions Available For Candidates / 2017 Batch A NYSC Registration To Start....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.