Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,272 members, 7,829,595 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:20 AM

New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? - NYSC (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? (6593 Views)

Finally The New NYSC DG Did It!!! Congrats 16A / Pictures Of New NYSC Certificates / Was The New Nysc Posting Policy Fully Implemented? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? by cgift(m): 3:15pm On Jul 19, 2007
if they cant fund it anylonger, they should cancel the schem and throw guys into th labour market directly from school. cool
Re: New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? by obie3ce(m): 3:37pm On Jul 19, 2007
this is a really sad news especially 4me. imagine writing ume may 2000 and graduating april 2007 after a 5-year course and i'm faced with the thot of wasting a couple of months because of this "quota'' rubbish.
this govt will ruin the hopes of nigerian youth and the nigerian dream will fail if we doont find a way of resisting this cooked scheme. please lets all do sth about it.
Re: New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? by Elgaxton(m): 4:54pm On Jul 19, 2007
Scrappin NYSC wil not help issues.

Let them just improve on everything that concerns NYSC
Re: New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? by RichyBlacK(m): 11:34pm On Jul 19, 2007
The so-called lack of funds is another sign of the deep levels of corruption in Nigeria.
Re: New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? by samonchi4u: 1:55am On Jul 20, 2007
House, ,your opinions are GREAT and commendable! I think we nid to ACT FAST to stop this ugly trend.
Once again,thanks for ur wonderful contributions on this issue. smiley smiley smiley
Re: New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? by Everbright(f): 8:17am On Jul 20, 2007
NYSC is doing more harm than good in this country.
Only the priviledged enjoy it and this is not supposed to be so
I am of the opinion that the scheme should be scrapped since it is not living up to it's expectation as regards the reason why it was established.
NYSC should be scrapped period angry
Re: New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? by uchetobi(f): 9:52am On Jul 20, 2007
All I will say is that the rate of crime will increase in direct proportion to the rate of graduates forced to lie fallow pending on when NYSC / Govt organize themselves
Re: New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? by Kemjisuper(m): 7:03pm On Jul 20, 2007
Hey,
I'm an intending Corper who was unfortunately excluded by march batch by mistake. I was told not to worry, there would be a June batch real soon. June came and I was faced with the reality of chillin till sept. Now only God can save me from psychomental decay at home by including me among the select few for this batch. I'm not selfish, but I don't know anyone who would gladly step aside for a friend or enemy in this matter.

Anyways, I believe we'll all be delivered from this bondage in the near future. Till then, my advise is "Keep ur heads up no matter what!"

Cheers
Re: New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? by Dadsam(m): 5:09am On Jul 21, 2007
Hi,
Brothers in the struggle! I'm a serving corper, my feeling is that our leaders are beginning to make us loose the little faith we have left in them. Is it that there are no national values or there are no more human feelings left in the leaders? That they are treating the common people like this? Please whatever it will take the programme should be sustained. Let's pray for NIGERIA! sad
Re: New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? by jiro(f): 10:30am On Jul 21, 2007
As far as I am concerned this NYSC thing should be scrapped faster than you can say Go. It is the most wicked thing this government and the universities can do to fresh graduands. Take me for example, I graduated in July 2005, was supposed to go for service in september of that year but my stupid school was not fast enough and nobody from the entire school was sent for service. I relaxed said no qualms @ least I was not alone besides I was working I would go for service in February 2006. It has come and gone where am I? still @ home Just cos there was a botch up by the same stupid University. OK @ least I will go in September right? Wrong again I did not go and I still had hope I had a strong faith and believe. Infact I knew that I Would go In February 2007. I saw the list that was to be sent to Abuja hard copy and all in Black & white. I even quit my Job in December 2006 Just so I could rest for a month before I serve my stupid blasted Nation Boy was I wrong, Stupid and foolish. February has come and gone and again the entire school did not go again cos they submitted their list late. I have ended up spending months doing entirely nothing. My faith was dwindling but it was still there they just had to add more names and presto I'm off for NYSC. Now its the Turn of the government to kick me in the gut while I'm still down so they introduced the Quota thing. [flash=200,200]http://Bleep THE GOVERNMENT & UNIPORT[/flash]. To me Government can't run itself how do they intend to tk care of their youths and the federal and state universities are like all other government institutions they lack moral code of conducts, work ethics and discipline, in short they should not exist @ least if my School was Privately Owned They wouldn't dare keep me @home for two yrs .The ppl that were responsible for this injustice would have lost their jobs and it would serve as a warning to others. [flash=200,200]http://SO FUCKING SCRAP NYSC[/flash]
Re: New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? by spora(m): 11:37am On Jul 21, 2007
The opinion of Dr. David Oyedepo (the Presiding Bishop of Winners Chapel and the Cancellor of Covennat University), has summarised everthing.

According to him "Oyedepo expressed disappointment at the way the National Youth Service scheme is being managed, saying that whereas 1,200 graduates of the school qualified to participate in the programme, only 39 slots were allocated to it.

To him, the fact that so many graduates from tertiary institutions across the nation would have to stay at home for a year without the opportunity to work, due to their inability to participate in the NYSC programme for no fault of theirs, testified to the failure of the programme.

He said, “The programme is already failing and it is better for them (government) to be advised to stop the programme or get to work. Students live like animals in orientation camps. There are no beds. There are no toilet rolls. You use polythene bags to go to toilet and throw them to the bush. It is unfortunate that government has become insensitive and irresponsible. They have politicised everything.

“The issue of NYSC shows the failure of the educational system. They do not have any moral right to ask people not to work in a year because they are on the queue for the NYSC. It is satanic. Government should be warned through a sharp reaction from the public. So many poor people have sent their children to school, sweating out their lives. Now you see those children going to farm with their parents because they cannot work.

“In a school of 120,000 graduates, they have space for only 45,000. That means the next time, if the budget is not increased, you will only have 45,000. So, a lot of people might not get in until next year, and the ones coming next year might wait for the next two years. The same thing almost happens in medical school. You come out of school and you cannot get a space to do your housemanship; and after two years, the Nigerian Medical Association says you must go and rewrite your examinations before you can qualify for house job.

“It is a failure of the system and I think government should be well advised, if they would listen. But they hardly do.

“We have a very deaf government, with daft people. It is unfortunate. And I think the public just have to wake up and do something very sharp. That is my position on the NYSC. It is a very callous policy, it is a very callous decision. It is an inhuman decision. It is an immoral decision, and I think the government should be well advised.”

For detail of the interview, click http://www.punchontheweb.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20070721057571
Re: New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? by DisGuy: 10:22pm On Jul 21, 2007
“The issue of NYSC shows the failure of the educational system. They do not have any moral right to ask people not to work in a year because they are on the queue for the NYSC. It is satanic. Government should be warned through a sharp reaction from the public. So many poor people have sent their children to school, sweating out their lives. Now you see those children going to farm with their parents because they cannot work.

“We have a very deaf government, with daft people. It is unfortunate. And I think the public just have to wake up and do something very sharp
bloody hypo, i wonder if he will allow his students take part in this 'sharp reaction'

-private universities should fund their students nysc
Re: New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? by donmayor(m): 9:45pm On Jul 22, 2007
Hope they scrap the useless NYSC before I graduate in 2 months time. It's a bloody waste of 1 year. Now you might have to wait at least 1.5 years if u r not lucky to get ur name on the NYSC list can u imagine? It's crazy. It seems no one values the youth anymore. They old men are bent on wasting our productive years doing nothing profitable. Like spending 6+ years doing engineering that should have been 4 years in the first place where u waste 6 months on another profitless venture called industrial training.
Re: New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? by bennnie(m): 8:45am On Jul 23, 2007
i really enjoyed my youth service ,though i served in a remote village called 'OHAFIA-AGBA in ebonyi state. The villagers were really nice and they really took care of us corpers.They really went out of their way to make us comfortable. having said all this ,i would really urge the federal government to take the welfare of the corpers more seriously so as not to defeat the laudable objectives of the scheme.i wont subsribe to it being scrapped .
Re: New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? by uchetobi(f): 8:48am On Jul 23, 2007
@Jiro Heya accept my condolence! Imagine having to stay at home since 2005 and you are not still sure when you are going to serve! I pray they include you in the Sept list.
At the person that said private universities should fund the scheme for their students I hope that was a joke
Oyedepo has echoed the sentiments of Nigerian students the scheme has lost its meaning. Anyways even if they scrap it today am already serving and will have to complete it! But for the sake of others. Imagine staying at home for 2 yrs waiting for NYSC. By the time you finish you would be above 27 the maximum age for entry level for good jobs. This is so sad
Re: New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? by Nobody: 11:12am On Jul 23, 2007
jiro:

As far as I am concerned this NYSC thing should be scrapped faster than you can say Go. It is the most wicked thing this government and the universities can do to fresh graduands. Take me for example, I graduated in July 2005, was supposed to go for service in september of that year but my stupid school was not fast enough and nobody from the entire school was sent for service. I relaxed said no qualms @ least I was not alone besides I was working I would go for service in February 2006. It has come and gone where am I? still @ home Just because there was a botch up by the same stupid University. OK @ least I will go in September right? Wrong again I did not go and I still had hope I had a strong faith and believe. Infact I knew that I Would go In February 2007. I saw the list that was to be sent to Abuja hard copy and all in Black & white. I even quit my Job in December 2006 Just so I could rest for a month before I serve my stupid blasted Nation Boy was I wrong, Stupid and foolish. February has come and gone and again the entire school did not go again because they submitted their list late. I have ended up spending months doing entirely nothing. My faith was dwindling but it was still there they just had to add more names and presto I'm off for NYSC. Now its the Turn of the government to kick me in the gut while I'm still down so they introduced the Quota thing. [flash=200,200]http://Bleep THE GOVERNMENT & UNIPORT[/flash]. To me Government can't run itself how do they intend to tk care of their youths and the federal and state universities are like all other government institutions they lack moral code of conducts, work ethics and discipline, in short they should not exist @ least if my School was Privately Owned They wouldn't dare keep me @home for two years .The people that were responsible for this injustice would have lost their jobs and it would serve as a warning to others. [flash=200,200]http://SO FUCKING SCRAP NYSC[/flash]

@JIRO
Sorry it's happening that way. Just pray for the best outcome. That God should compensate you real BIG. I think, i do understand your dilemma.

I was in a similar situation, I finished year 2004, Was excluded from Serving in September 2004, February 2005, September 2005. But alas it came to pass in February 2006!!!! I was already devasted, I didn't just understand why it was happening to me. I felt terrible.

Not knowing, that God was working for my good. I'll always remember my mum's quote to me then, she'd say, " Tosin, Note this, Everything that God does is in LOVE, even when we do not understand. She even had to get it printed out and pasted it on the wall of my room, just to keep encouraging me to keep faith. My dear sister, it wasn't easy though. But thank God, here i am today, I finished my service in January this year and to God's only honour, i was declared as Best Corps Member, given a State Award & got some job offers. I least expected it, but i knew God was compensating me for the wasted years Then, did i understand my mum's quote and this scripture verse. "All things work together for our GOOD".

NYSC or No NYSC, keep believing God for the best. The best awaits you too.  cool  wink
Re: New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? by gr8child(m): 11:28am On Jul 23, 2007
I think the entire thing has outlived it usefulness. It was formed to "bring Nigerians together" after the civil war. How far has this been achieved. People have served in states other than that of their origin and still have their prejudices intact. I was posted to Bayelsa before I redeployed to Lagos and I hated every minute of the experience. Accommodation was scarce and substandard. Although I'll admit that National service should involve a certain degree of sacrifice, I don't think it should involve a squalid existence. The stipend they pay is ridiculous and not enough to keep body and soul together. For instance a bicycle allowance of about a 100 bucks is given.

Okay, I have a solution. They say N129,472 is spent on each corper per year. Even if we can't be given the whole cash in case we "blow" it. Scrap NYSC and put each graduate's cash in a pension scheme (just brain storming here) to crystallise when we reach retirement or whatever.
Re: New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? by graccy: 12:26pm On Jul 23, 2007
What is happening to our educational system? for God sake how long am i going to stay a home? it seem to me that our so call leader are yet to define themselves as to wether they are serving us or leading us.Every 5 month the persons heading the nysc cant be bold of the fact that they dont cart away with thousands of naira on each student seving.Abeg it high time this nysc of a thing be scraped, But make una help me pray to God make they short list me this september oh.
Re: New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? by sharpman1(m): 2:41pm On Jul 23, 2007
i think the NYSC scheme has outlived its usefulness. they should just scrap the thing and allow our university graduates move on with their lives
Re: New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? by lawisong(m): 8:51pm On Jul 23, 2007
I personally regard the NYSC scheme as a laughable failure! They say you are serving your fatherland for one year but tell me, if i graduate and start working immediately in Nigeria i'm i not still serving my fatherland? Are the civil servants not serving their fatherland even if their salaries are delayed for months? Are the police not serving their fatherland even though they are paid peanuts and not well equipped to fight the ever increasing crime rate? So why is this one year of so-called "service to fatherland" aka NYSC so special? Please if you know the authorities in charge, tell them to totally scrap out the NYSC program because it is of no use anymore. I'm suppose to be going for the programme when i heard about the quota thing. Now i cant predict my fate. My institution stupidly based their criteria on age. That is if you are 29 or close to 30 years you are given preference to go for national service so that you do not exceed the age limit of NYSC. But those naughty professors fail to understand that most vacancies now state that applicant should not be more than 25 years. So if the younger graduates are left behind till they are 29 years before they are allowed to go for NYSC and by the time they finish the program they are 30 or 31, who will employ them? Besides that, How can they keep students that have completed their years of study plus years of strike again at home for no just cause. I think NYSC as a whole should be sued by NANS to court. It is our right.

If i am to advise the empty headed leaders out there, i will suggest they scrap out NYSC and rather use this one year of wastage to train the graduates on various vocational jobs like welding, printing, computer repairs, book publishing, etc. so that after the one year, these graduates can create jobs of their own if they cant get a job in the already saturated labour market. Who knows, this little effort can create lots of self employment and business establishment. BUT IF THEY WONT TAKE MY ADVISE, THEN I'LL HAVE TO CONSULT MY FRIEND ALIKO DANGOTE TO BUY NYSC. grin grin I believe he can help them solve their lack of funds wahala. Bad leaders please dont turn Nigeria to Bangladesh.
Re: New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? by dominobaby(f): 9:44pm On Jul 23, 2007
This Quota system is arrant nonsense! I'm yet to graduate in a year and half, and right now i aint freaked one bit bout the whole scheme, GONE ARE THE DAYS! They'd better do something bout it before i'm through or i'll just not do it.
Re: New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? by DisGuy: 10:07pm On Jul 23, 2007
and you'll just not get a job or it will be bugging you!

the president has called them for a meeting, so fingers crossed wink

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200707231162292
Re: New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? by uchetobi(f): 10:18am On Jul 24, 2007
Not only fingers. I think in this case toes should be crossed as well
angry angry
• Cuz Only God can save Graduates from this scheme and waste of precious time
Re: New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? by olafemi(m): 6:05pm On Jul 24, 2007
Nice comments from you all but its quiet unfortunate we have more of persons that have gone for there NYSC in this forum, on behalf of some of my mates i would advices the FG since they dont have funds to sponsor us, they could as well ask us to sponsor our selves. i dont know if its the small 7k they pay to corpers that is there stress!!! But they could pay as much as 30, 40, 50 million to militants for kids that has not even entered primary school. God will help us. embarassed
Re: New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? by obie3ce(m): 6:38pm On Jul 24, 2007
dominobaby:

This Quota system is arrant nonsense! I'm yet to graduate in a year and half, and right now i aint freaked one bit bout the whole scheme, GONE ARE THE DAYS! They'd better do something bout it before i'm through or i'll just not do it.

dominobaby, its too early to start thinkin of not servin. neway, tanks for showin much concern about it & where hav u been? kp in touch .
long live SEEES.
Re: New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? by yomex4ever: 1:28am On Jul 25, 2007
This NYSC should be scrapped. It is a complete waste of time. In camp there is no adequate basic amenities, if you get bitten by a snake that could be the end of your life. Only the rich ones are usually lucky to get posted to big companies. I don't still understand why graduates should be sent to teach just like that. To be able to teach, you must have at least attended a training school for teaching; not all people, even first graduates are able to pass knowledge easily.
Re: New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? by dearstan(m): 2:54pm On Jul 27, 2007
i heard that the quota issue has been resolved can anybody corroborate that?
Re: New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? by toba1909(m): 3:05pm On Jul 30, 2007
Hey guyz, i think NYSC should be scrapped either the quota system is settled or not. I don't know why such thing be introduced into the NYSC,imagine the stress you pass through before graduating and somebody now taking you through a wasteful year as i regard it. Moreover the stress you go through at the camp is another tragedy, some corpers sleep on the field throughout their orientation programme,i think NYSC be scrapped out.
Re: New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? by uchetobi(f): 6:02pm On Jul 30, 2007
I think the only news that will make sense is to hear that it has been scrapped
Re: New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? by Seun(m): 10:39am On Jul 31, 2007
Re: New NYSC Quota System: What Is Your Opinion? by uchetobi(f): 3:26pm On Jul 31, 2007
congrats then to all intending corps members

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Successes And Impact Of My Online Community Development Coaching Class / 2017 Batch A NYSC Registration To Start.... / Batch B 2014 Posted To Borno Let's Meet Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.