Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,263 members, 7,836,197 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:50 PM

Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture - Celebrities (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture (29147 Views)

Onyeka Onwenu Celebrates Her 69th Birthday (throwback & Recent Photos) / Onyeka Onwenu: Why I Rejected Fela’s Marriage Proposal / Onyeka Onwenu At Wesley College, Massachusetts, USA, 1975 (Throwback Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by Lexusgs430: 12:56pm On Jul 29, 2021
Culture is simply the dead, holding people alive into custody........
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by Freebandz365: 12:56pm On Jul 29, 2021
free2ryhme:

May Almighty God bless your hustle

Amen bro and you too.

Thanks so much.
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by bunnae(f): 12:58pm On Jul 29, 2021
I enjoyed reading this.

4 Likes

Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by Nobody: 12:58pm On Jul 29, 2021
Idiko1:
How is it Obi Cubana's cup of tea Nigeria is a poor and backward country? Poverty and affluence are diametrically opposed phenoniums rigged in mankind. Even if all disciples of God and Allah descend to the earth to have a word with the source of wealth, poverty must claim its share of the negotiation. It is a complete display of idiocy to frown or tell a person how to spend his/her hard earned money.
this doesn't happen in the US ____Nigerians just like to do things based on their mentality
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by ugodson(m): 12:59pm On Jul 29, 2021
Please you people should not come and be talking rubbish here o. where is it in the Igbo culture a son or children should limit the money been spent on burial?

These are bad Belle people jooor. If I have the kind of money Obi cubana has I will even do more than that for her, what rubbish they should go and sit down joor.

Just imagine with all the wealth he didn't spend much ,they will tag him a retualist that with all the money he can't give his mom a befitting burial.

I have come to understand in this over 3 decades on earth.... Whatever you do people will still talk,so do what you feel is right and leave them to talk.
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by Nobody: 1:02pm On Jul 29, 2021
If Onyeka Onwenu wasn't Igbo and a respectable Senior Citizen they would have accused her of being "anti Igbo tradition".

I wouldn't put it past some loutish clowns to still attack her though

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by TOPCRUISE(m): 1:02pm On Jul 29, 2021
If you make your billions legitimately you will know how to spend it well. Money owned illegitimately will make a person throw caution to the wind.

1 Like

Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by shadeyinka(m): 1:02pm On Jul 29, 2021
free2ryhme:

I really have nothing much to say however if one of their own can speak against this behaviour what options do outsiders have
She was very balanced about her writeup.

She said:
Let us give some credit to Obinna Iyiegbu for some of the positive things about his success story that have now come to light. We hardly knew him before his mother’s burial. It turns out that he has raised and continued to raise up so many others, even as he himself made it up the rungs of success.

3 Likes

Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by Henrik6379(m): 1:04pm On Jul 29, 2021
Nellybank:
Madam go and look for one place and sit down. Didn't you watch his interview and the reason for the lavish?
He his ripping what he has sow
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by Nobody: 1:04pm On Jul 29, 2021
Against which Igbo culture?
Abegi.

If you loved your father, you'll do anything to bade him a record breaking final farewell.
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by thomasjoe(m): 1:05pm On Jul 29, 2021
Judolisco:
I no be igbo o... But dis igbo lady knows nothing about d igbo culture
You must be a simpleton infant to have thought and posted this...
No offence though- I'm just letting you know what your post reveals
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by kkonyeji(m): 1:06pm On Jul 29, 2021
People should learn to mind their businesses.

Which Igbo culture is she talking about sef?
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by seyz91(m): 1:06pm On Jul 29, 2021
cheesy
Lanretoye:
Madam na your body u dey talk,if u like tell them make them cremate and throw the aches inside the ocean...abi she no wan die first before she dey take style envy another deadbody burial.someone just buried his own mother in a language he understands and some people are gossiping,if he later come borrow money for una hand make una no give him.
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by Dalipac: 1:06pm On Jul 29, 2021
Oh wow

Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by Stevyne: 1:08pm On Jul 29, 2021
Freebandz365:

Good morning nairalanders

I sell Airtel data at affordable rate

1k=4.5gb
2k=10gb

Please patronize me.
WhatsApp number 08082077444

Thanks and God bless ��
4.5Gb for 1k

How?
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by joedave(m): 1:09pm On Jul 29, 2021
I don't see the need why several should castigate Obi's desire for such pomp burial for his mother.

Onyeka is entitled to her wish, Deji Adeyanju is entitled to the way he wanted to go. Please let's cut this man some slacks. There are way too many relevant issues in Nigeria begging attention.
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by McOluOmo: 1:13pm On Jul 29, 2021
Ada igbo nke nbu
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by Freebandz365: 1:14pm On Jul 29, 2021
Stevyne:
4.5Gb for 1k

How?

Add Me on Whatsapp bro
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by Skillsnigeria: 1:14pm On Jul 29, 2021
Hmmm
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by Ishilove: 1:15pm On Jul 29, 2021
The 'My Father's Daughter' I'm familiar with was written by Mabel Segun. Did Onyeka appropriate the name?
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by gleamy(m): 1:17pm On Jul 29, 2021
What's all this palava.. Won't the Obi Mother's saga end again? undecided
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by MrEnigma007: 1:18pm On Jul 29, 2021
She is a good writer... She made meaningful points especially about how different the Igbo culture is from pre-biafra war... But about the burial, I have no objections or support since I am not sure about such.

2 Likes

Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by Hendtime: 1:19pm On Jul 29, 2021
What is against Igbo culture? This yeye old witch won't go and rest somewhere

1 Like

Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by poshestmina(f): 1:27pm On Jul 29, 2021
Ibos have always been huge on burials from time immemorial.

Always!!!!
Some don't even take care of the aged parents but time for burial ,you will see them "Nedu Jamaica,Obi Korea,Ekene Japan,Odogwu Togo, Nwanyioma Germany" with different currencies and displays.
Week long burials are so rampant in the East .

Allow people breathe Nne.
T for Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by melzabull(f): 1:32pm On Jul 29, 2021
theTranscriber:
A sensible timeless diva
This is what "Eze goes to school" type of waste causes

More and more "billionaires" grin
It's very predominant in Igbo culture though undecided
Packed Asian prisons undecided
most of you yoroobas are utterly senseless and irredeemable psychos

How about you tell us about the skull mining culture in the sh1t slinging republic of oduduwack?
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by BSdetector: 1:33pm On Jul 29, 2021
Abegi.....make them free this guy.
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by Adakintroy: 1:46pm On Jul 29, 2021
It's against all human culture.
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by richie240: 1:47pm On Jul 29, 2021
Onyeka! Onyeka!! Onyeka!!!
How many times I call u?
Ehn-ehn, u get am, na 3 times!
You beta kp ur mouth shut b4 dem say "u are jerruss of awa bloda"
cool

NigeriaZoo:
Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana mum’s lavish burial insensitive, against Igbo culture
I condemn it all. It does not reflect the Igbo culture that I grew up in. Ndigbo would not condone the conspicuous display of wealth. If you were found doing that, your close and extended family, your community would send a delegation to you, to ask about your source of the wealth you are throwing about. You would be ostracized if you had no convincing evidence of legitimate work. All that changed at the end of the Nigeria/Biafra conflict.

https://www.mijovia.com/post/obi-cubana-s-lavish-burial-of-his-mother-does-not-reflect-the-igbo-culture-that-i-grew-up-in

1 Like

Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by Bar1941(m): 1:49pm On Jul 29, 2021
Thank God we still have some reasonable and sensible Igbo adults, all these senseless and jobless youths couldn't allow people talk when we condemned the unnecessary extravagance.
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by melzabull(f): 1:52pm On Jul 29, 2021
She made some VERY good salient and vital points like

- the Igbo apprenticeship model being included in havard curricula and other top universities of the world

The mischievous and deliberate carving of parts of igbo land into the so called south south and middle belt and the abandoned property ish

-the excess hunger in the land especially in certain places where their useless youths have taken to skull mining and their governor's introducing stomach infrastructure and aregbu fufu

However, I disagree with her on the 'extravagance' and lavishness of the colourful burial. And she saying it wasn't part of our culture is hogwash

When you make money spend it as you wish. Yes, spend or lavish according to your financial muscle. He didn't force his friends to spray/throw money in the air/streets

Some people don't have 1/10th of Obi cubana money but they done enough show off to last them a lifetime eg. hushbingo

Obi cubana has made hundreds of youths millionaire's silently. Recently he gifted 300 youths from his oba community 1millon each, that is N300,000.000.00. What other way is he expected to help humanity?

He is a philanthropist and hundred of youths and friends can attest to that. Obi cubana and/or his friends didn't create the hunger and poverty in the land, he didn't beg or ask his friends to donate to him, they did because he enjoys excess goodwill from being a good man, so on this madam onyeka kindly channel your displeasure to the right
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by cyprex: 1:53pm On Jul 29, 2021
Onyeka Onwenu I think you know little about Igbo culture.

In Igboland, burial of great men and women has always been lavish
My great-grandfather that died in the 1950s was buried with 16 cows and 256 (16x16) goats, rams, dogs and others. the ceremony lasted for 16days and hosted men and women from far and near. Looking at this in the light of the Cubana's, it may seem small but I bet you, it was quite big then.

it was as a result of the expenses involved that made some Churches set a benchmark and some State Houses of assembly make laws regulating burial expenses. It is therefore ridiculous for anyone to seek attention or sound socially correct by claiming that the Iyiegu's did something strange.

so long as you did not borrow to bury the dead, I see no wrong in glamourous burial of a high achiever.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Tonto Dikeh Shares Makeup Free Photo, See Fans Reactions- WAKABOBO / John Dumelo Dancing With Wife At His White Wedding / Actress Ngozi Nwosu Is Critically Sick

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.