Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,871 members, 7,813,969 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:59 PM

Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture - Celebrities (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture (29113 Views)

Onyeka Onwenu Celebrates Her 69th Birthday (throwback & Recent Photos) / Onyeka Onwenu: Why I Rejected Fela’s Marriage Proposal / Onyeka Onwenu At Wesley College, Massachusetts, USA, 1975 (Throwback Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by Boudiccao: 6:46pm On Jul 29, 2021
Juliusmalema:

You are so ignorant of what you are saying. Every state has her own pattern of burial and it is not same in another states.

onyeka onwenu is just meddling in another states tradition which is bad.

There is nothing like states here. Stop being daft. The Igbo ancestors that passed this expensive burial custom to modern Igbos were not going by states. States in Igboland is simply a recent creation for the ease of administration.

Burials in the East are expensive all over Igboland and it used to be double in the recent past.
The only issue here is that mama Onyeka doesn't like what happened in Oba.
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by Segzy19: 7:02pm On Jul 29, 2021
So you know more than her abi.... Mumu comment...
Judolisco:
I no be igbo o... But dis igbo lady knows nothing about d igbo culture
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by Nobody: 7:05pm On Jul 29, 2021
Boudiccao:

There is nothing like states here. Stop being daft. The Igbo ancestors that passed this expensive burial custom to modern Igbos were not going by states. States in Igboland is simply a recent creation for the ease of administration.

Burials in the East are expensive all over Igboland and it used to be double in the recent past.
The only issue here is that mama Onyeka doesn't like what happened in Oba.

States have been created and must be used because each state has her own pattern of doing things.

Every state is independent and runs her affairs as deem fit.

the problem we have in Nigeria is unnecessary interference from other states and that's what onwenu just did. People should learn to know their limit.

Op said if cubana states kinsmen didn't criticize him then why a outsider?
hw is it her business? ogbasaria?
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by Boudiccao: 7:43pm On Jul 29, 2021
Juliusmalema:

States have been created and must be used because each state has her own pattern of doing things.

Every state is independent and runs her affairs as deem fit.

the problem we have in Nigeria is unnecessary interference from other states and that's what onwenu just did. People should learn to know their limit.

Op said if cubana states kinsmen didn't criticize him then why a outsider?
hw is it her business? ogbasaria?

I know you must respond with your daftness.
Your clannishness over modern Nigerian creation is extraordinary.
IMO person cannot comment on what happened in Anambra? Ebonyi person cannot talk about what happened in Enugu?
Anambra cannot talk about Abia?

All because of what? Mere boundaries?
Onyeka onwenu has the rights to talk about what she deems fit regardless of how you feel about it.

How does one interfer in her own culture? How does one become an outsider in her own Igbo culture? A culture of expensive burials that is found all over the East both in ancient and modern times.

You are not just daft but foolish.
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by descarado: 7:55pm On Jul 29, 2021
Onyeka is out of tune with igbo culture.
Burial has really evolved in igboland.
It's now a one day event.
Before, burial is on for 21 market days. You know what that means? Merriment for 21 days non stop. Heaven help you if it's a rich family. Na there all villagers will congregate every day. No more cooking in your house especially if it's nwa ada.
Modernity made people start protesting. They keep on narrowing it down till one day. So any madness you want to display, do it under one day.
Sat and Sunday, go church and jet off.

Burial in igbo land is very expensive.
No matter how its narrowed down, people will rather pay fine and bury as they want.
Let this matter die please.

Onyeka, have made children first and then let's see what happens. You are married to yoruba.
It will even be worst combining the two cultures
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by DSoj(m): 7:57pm On Jul 29, 2021
Thank U mama
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by descarado: 8:06pm On Jul 29, 2021
Juliusmalema:

There is nothing to bless about her. She is just plain ignorant and acting stupid at same time.

If someone from Anambra state is criticizing obi Cubana then we might say ( though we don't pray for such) let's wait for any burial ceremony from such person but coming from someone who is totally ignorant of how burial is conducted here then it is obvious she has to be sorry for herself.

There is nothing like Igbo culture here because the pattern of burial here differs 100% from her side. Let her learn to respect others tradition because let me not believe old age is a sign of weakness.
Onyeka is from arondizougu.
I have attended abiriba burial.
Obi own is moimoi.
There is one circulating on YouTube from abia state. That burial gulped millions and nothing was heard cos the guy isn't an entertainer.

Igbo people celebrate burial especially parents more than wedding, house warming, birthday. They don't even care for birthday.

Birthday celebration is still a borrowed culture we are trying to fit in. Imagine throwing party for my mum's birthday. She will ask if I'm all right cheesy
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by biggiesmallz15(m): 9:29pm On Jul 29, 2021
If dem invite am to come sing now.....e no go reason say na lavish burial oh
NigeriaZoo:
Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana mum’s lavish burial insensitive, against Igbo culture

https://www.mijovia.com/post/obi-cubana-s-lavish-burial-of-his-mother-does-not-reflect-the-igbo-culture-that-i-grew-up-in

Onyeka Onwenu is a Singer/Songwriter, Actor, Politician and Public Administrator. She is a Social Critic and the Author of the highly acclaimed Memoir, My Father’s Daughter. Her Book can be found in major Bookstores and on Amazon.
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by Sunday2021: 10:33pm On Jul 29, 2021
Ipob terrorists will insult this woman like kilode.
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by Karmaisme(m): 10:56pm On Jul 29, 2021
Freebandz365:

What exactly is your problem bro
Have I scammed you before??
Av we done any transaction before??

Scammer.
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by eyizlive(m): 11:37pm On Jul 29, 2021
Hmmn
Classicism is the latest. Its superiority over tribalism is evident here. If na picture she post, this same Igbos that are insulting her will spam this thread with "igbo Amaka" but as she has spoken to their materialism, they can't take it.

Classicism tii take over!!!
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by einsteine(m): 1:59am On Jul 30, 2021
99% of people did not read the article and commented based on the headline. Consequently, their take on the matter was a stupid one
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by EagleNest(m): 6:20am On Jul 30, 2021
I agree with our lady of songs, Onyeka Onwenu. She hit the nail on the head even though she tried to moderate it not to sound like being harsh or jealous. A society that lacked moderation and basic moral values will self destroy itself. One day we will know more about this Cubana and his likes. Shebi Abba Kyari has been found out.
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by Doyou2019: 7:39am On Jul 30, 2021
Nellybank:
Madam go and look for one place and sit down. Didn't you watch his interview and the reason for the lavish?

Reason for the lavish kwa!
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by Nobody: 5:13pm On Jul 30, 2021
descarado:

Onyeka is from arondizougu.
I have attended abiriba burial.
Obi own is moimoi.
There is one circulating on YouTube from abia state. That burial gulped millions and nothing was heard cos the guy isn't an entertainer.

Igbo people celebrate burial especially parents more than wedding, house warming, birthday. They don't even care for birthday.

Birthday celebration is still a borrowed culture we are trying to fit in. Imagine throwing party for my mum's birthday. She will ask if I'm all right cheesy

Discuss that with your fellow Igbos and bitter people.
inukwa attended.

1 Like

Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by descarado: 6:04pm On Jul 30, 2021
Juliusmalema:

Discuss that with your fellow Igbos and bitter people.
inukwa attended.
You must be a frustrated fellow.
It will get better.
Country hard.
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by Nobody: 7:00pm On Jul 30, 2021
descarado:

You must be a frustrated fellow.
It will get better.
Country hard.

Next
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by aribisala0(m): 1:56pm On Jul 31, 2021
EagleNest:
I agree with our lady of songs, Onyeka Onwenu. She hit the nail on the head even though she tried to moderate it not to sound like being harsh or jealous. A society that lacked moderation and basic moral values will self destroy itself. One day we will know more about this Cubana and his likes. Shebi Abba Kyari has been found out.
Simple truth is she is not a rich woman but she has instant recognition and would be remembered long after she is gone while now no one remembers the names of any of those people throwing money in that video which brings us to the question of WHY they were doing that. Deep down they know or believe they are inconsequential and need to compensate for that intolerable feeling

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Cossy Orjiakor Reacts To Kemi Olunloyo's Confession With Cryptic Message / Bbnaija Alex Asogwa, Her Mother And Grandmother (Photos) / Omah Lay Says Uganda Is Not Allowing The Nigerian Government Intervene

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.