Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,468 members, 7,816,092 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:34 AM

Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture - Celebrities (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture (29119 Views)

Onyeka Onwenu Celebrates Her 69th Birthday (throwback & Recent Photos) / Onyeka Onwenu: Why I Rejected Fela’s Marriage Proposal / Onyeka Onwenu At Wesley College, Massachusetts, USA, 1975 (Throwback Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by akigbemaru: 1:53pm On Jul 29, 2021
NigeriaZoo:
Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana mum’s lavish burial insensitive, against Igbo culture

https://www.mijovia.com/post/obi-cubana-s-lavish-burial-of-his-mother-does-not-reflect-the-igbo-culture-that-i-grew-up-in

Onyeka Onwenu is a Singer/Songwriter, Actor, Politician and Public Administrator. She is a Social Critic and the Author of the highly acclaimed Memoir, My Father’s Daughter. Her Book can be found in major Bookstores and on Amazon.
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by uchaymart(m): 1:54pm On Jul 29, 2021
Judolisco:
I no be igbo o... But dis igbo lady knows nothing about d igbo culture
She's just sounding pained because she was not invited to sing that her old school song ..
I'm igbo
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by dododawa1: 1:58pm On Jul 29, 2021
Madan in Jonathan regime is GONE. WAILING WAILING WAILING, wetin concern buhari and obi cubana in burial.
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by Nobody: 2:01pm On Jul 29, 2021
Just saw this rubbish now.

Very late.

So people shouldn't bury the dead well because Onyeka Onwenu is alive.
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by Nobody: 2:01pm On Jul 29, 2021
Judolisco:

The woman is a bitter woman.

Ignore her.

I am just reading the Rubbish now.
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by Karmaisme(m): 2:02pm On Jul 29, 2021
Freebandz365:

Good morning nairalanders

I sell Airtel data at affordable rate

1k=4.5gb
2k=10gb

Please patronize me.
WhatsApp number 08082077444

Thanks and God bless ��

Scammer
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by Freebandz365: 2:07pm On Jul 29, 2021
Karmaisme:

Scammer

What exactly is your problem bro
Have I scammed you before??
Av we done any transaction before??
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by Princedapace(m): 2:10pm On Jul 29, 2021
Lanretoye:
Madam na your body u dey talk,if u like tell them make them cremate and throw the aches inside the ocean...abi she no wan die first before she dey take style envy another deadbody burial.someone just buried his own mother in a language he understands and some people are gossiping,if he later come borrow money for una hand make una no give him.

Read the post, she had an amazing submission. And she made it clear that everyone have their own right to what they believe in. Her own mother also requested for expensive burial. She noted that.
I don't think u read the post.
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by Drizzy5001(m): 2:32pm On Jul 29, 2021
NigeriaZoo:
Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana mum’s lavish burial insensitive, against Igbo culture

https://www.mijovia.com/post/obi-cubana-s-lavish-burial-of-his-mother-does-not-reflect-the-igbo-culture-that-i-grew-up-in

Onyeka Onwenu is a Singer/Songwriter, Actor, Politician and Public Administrator. She is a Social Critic and the Author of the highly acclaimed Memoir, My Father’s Daughter. Her Book can be found in major Bookstores and on Amazon.
madam, you can do that with your body, leave the young man to bury his loved one, the way he likes abeg.
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by oxygen247(m): 2:33pm On Jul 29, 2021
I know that the Igbo people here that are abusing her did not read the article...

Nice write-up ma but I believe that everyone is entitled to flex his money as he wants.
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by Newton85: 2:40pm On Jul 29, 2021
Abeg madam Onyeka Onwenu leave story jare. Everyone knows your Eboe people condone primitive, ostentatious display of wealth. Or how else do you expect them to show the world that there are billionaires in Nnewi and Onitsha richer than Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos. Next story joor!
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by sukar886: 2:41pm On Jul 29, 2021
Madam onyeka go and sleep , which one is Igbo culture , when he was suffering for this money where u there, abeg u guys should leave this man alone mbok, u don't have the right to tell him how to spend his hard earn money, he has been helping people as well

1 Like

Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by Christistruth00: 2:49pm On Jul 29, 2021
God Bless Onyeka Onwenu

Wise Woman

Nigerians do not hate Igbos Ma ,they are our Brothers

But your own Igbo Sons would soon gather to start insulting you for your Motherly Wise advice Ma,

Some are so rude and do not respect any well intentioned warnings even from their own Elders including you who is old enough to be their Grandmother Ma

Like the ones insulting you below for your wonderful advice Ma

they give Industrious and hardworking Igbos a bad name

Juliusmalema:

The woman is a bitter woman.

Ignore her.

I am just reading the Rubbish now.

uchaymart:

She's just sounding pained because she was not invited to sing that her old school song ..
I'm igbo

Lanretoye:
Madam na your body u dey talk,if u like tell them make them cremate and throw the aches inside the ocean...abi she no wan die first before she dey take style envy another deadbody burial.someone just buried his own mother in a language he understands and some people are gossiping,if he later come borrow money for una hand make una no give him.

PrinceOfLagos:
Is it your money ?

Amaizu:
With all due respects, Onyeka should shut up. She does not understand Igbo culture.

dododawa1:
Madan in Jonathan regime is GONE. WAILING WAILING WAILING, wetin concern buhari and obi cubana in burial.

Chiffy:
Shaarraaap this woman. If Obi Cubana had booked her to perform at the burial, she wouldn't have come out to say this

Juliusmalema:

There is nothing to bless about her. She is just plain ignorant and acting stupid at same time.

Nnecky:
When Obasanjo used Nigeria's money to convert your old albums to CD collections and sponsored the launching, you didn't see it as a waste of resources and against igbo culture. Come oo who made you an igbo woman? Arent you married to a Yoruba man? Please mind your health and leave Cubana alone
#forgottenlegend

ugodson:
[b]Please you people should not come and be talking rubbish here o. where is it in the Igbo culture a son or children should limit the money been spent on burial?

These are bad Belle people jooor. If I have the kind of money Obi cubana has I will even do more than that for her, what rubbish they should go and sit down joor.

Idiko1:
It is a complete display of idiocy to frown or tell a person how to spend his/her hard earned money.

1 Like

Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by ShedrachU(m): 2:51pm On Jul 29, 2021
Dlporra:
Okay

Get a professional business or company logo done for just 3k only and get all the following files of your logo;

1, High quality 3D logo
2, Transparent background logo for watermark
3, Plain logo for letterhead, business card, Id card etc
4, Pdf copy of your logo.
Call/WhatsApp me via the number on the image below.
The link to my WhatsApp is in my signature

This logo design style is a cliche, learn minimalism in designing.
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by Iliya1520: 2:58pm On Jul 29, 2021
I had
given my family instructions as to
how to bury me when my time
comes. Do it quickly, quietly and
privately. Celebrate me with
prayers, lunch or dinner
afterwards. Share some jokes
about me and laugh. Mourn, yes
but not excessively. Make
merriment and then go about your
business. If my friends want to
celebrate me, they should do so
while I am alive so that I can
enjoy it with them, not when I am
gone and have no idea. That is
me Onyeka Onwenu.

If there did so, they will be looking like Islam which is also contradict with Igbo culture and norms.
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by Wannabenz: 3:13pm On Jul 29, 2021
Truth.
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by Adabestseason(m): 3:15pm On Jul 29, 2021
God knows the reasons behind such a lavish burial as claimed by the artist-madam,if God is pleased is good,Igbo introduced motorcade with hummer,lincoln navigator,brabus benz,limousine all to celebrate their dead-loved ones but has poor road networks,not to talk of anambra state of which wealth is the basis no matter where it comes from.Lavish and extravagant burial is from the foundation
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by Nobody: 3:17pm On Jul 29, 2021
Christistruth00:

God Bless Onyeka Onwenu

Wise Woman

But they would soon gather to start insulting you Ma

their Sort do not respect warnings from their Elders

Like the one below

There is nothing to bless about her. She is just plain ignorant and acting stupid at same time.

If someone from Anambra state is criticizing obi Cubana then we might say ( though we don't pray for such) let's wait for any burial ceremony from such person but coming from someone who is totally ignorant of how burial is conducted here then it is obvious she has to be sorry for herself.

There is nothing like Igbo culture here because the pattern of burial here differs 100% from her side. Let her learn to respect others tradition because let me not believe old age is a sign of weakness.
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by kluv2(m): 3:36pm On Jul 29, 2021
Take IPOB for another example. If you are Igbo you are automatically one of them. It is worse if you dare believe that Mazi Nnamdi Kanu and IPOB have a right to ask for a referendum as given in the constitution, that they have a right to protest or complain about the violation of their rights as equal stakeholders in Nigeria.

Referendum is not in Nigeria's constitution ma but maybe they will put it tomorrow we don't know
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by Chiffy: 3:39pm On Jul 29, 2021
Shaarraaap this woman. If Obi Cubana had booked her to perform at the burial, she wouldn't have come out to say this
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by Nnecky(f): 4:30pm On Jul 29, 2021
When Obasanjo used Nigeria's money to convert your old albums to CD collections and sponsored the launching, you didn't see it as a waste of resources and against igbo culture. Come oo who made you an igbo woman? Arent you married to a Yoruba man? Please mind your health and leave Cubana alone
#forgottenlegend
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by Gfskw: 4:32pm On Jul 29, 2021
Oh
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by Olajede56: 4:40pm On Jul 29, 2021
see below
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by Amaizu(m): 5:12pm On Jul 29, 2021
With all due respects, Onyeka should shut up. She does not understand Igbo culture. The Igbo culture allows “uko” - wealth exhibition during burials , title taking and marriages. A man who has it among the Igbos , is allowed to flaunt it at such occasions. He could give a goat instead of a chicken or in cases where the tradition demands a goat , he could give a cow . While we may in the light of learnt adaptations argue that wealth display should not be encouraged, truth is , it does not offend Igbo culture.
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by Chiffy: 5:16pm On Jul 29, 2021
Today must be a very idle day for you
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by theTranscriber: 5:22pm On Jul 29, 2021
melzabull:
most of you yoroobas are utterly senseless and irredeemable psychos

How about you tell us about the skull mining culture in the sh1t slinging republic of oduduwack?
I am not yoroobas cheesy
Okoro hairy chested female with yam as legs grin
What about the baby factory production that is exclusive to okoro? cheesy
I'm almost sure that you miraculously escaped pounding undecided
I'm sure you or even a member of your family is selling expired gala here in Ogun
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by Boudiccao: 6:25pm On Jul 29, 2021
Etinosa1234:
The way Igbos go take insult this woman now, her children go disown am grin

There is nothing to insult and disown.
She made great points and more often than not was addressing you Nigerians and your preconceived notions about Igbos including the excess hatred and prejudice. She also explained where the love for materialism comes from.
The only point I will add here is that Igbo culture is flashy and expensive and though we work hard and don't show off regularly, there is nothing wrong in people showing off or doing their events whichever way they want to.
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by niyidenrele: 6:25pm On Jul 29, 2021
Judolisco:

I can see that you are not Igbo indeed
But you know everything about their culture
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by Boudiccao: 6:35pm On Jul 29, 2021
Juliusmalema:

If someone from Anambra state is criticizing obi Cubana then we might say ( though we don't pray for such) let's wait for any burial ceremony from such person but coming from someone who is totally ignorant of how burial is conducted here then it is obvious she has to be sorry for herself.

There is nothing like Igbo culture here because the pattern of burial here differs 100% from her side. Let her learn to respect others tradition because let me not believe old age is a sign of weakness.

Anambra this, Anambra that. Anambra is simply a state with artificial borders created by Nigeria. It is not a homogeneous state nor culture.

A typical igbo burial that comes from old igbo traditions is expensive all over Igboland and today people choose to cut their cloth according to their size. Double burials amongst all Igbos used to be a thing until it was reformed.

What happened in Oba happens every other weekend all over the East, the only difference is that the Oba event was on a scale never witnessed before in Modern times.

Stop with this Anambra this and that, Igbo culture is simply off shoot of the same ancient traditions and doesn't have anything to do with states. Onyeka Onwenu is simply against what happened in Oba because of the impact it will make on Nigeria's perception of Igbos and will definitely increase the get rich quick syndrome amongst youths.
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: Obi Cubana’s Mother's Burial Was Lavish & Against Igbo Culture by Nobody: 6:40pm On Jul 29, 2021
Boudiccao:

Anambra this, Anambra that. Anambra is simply a state with artificial borders created by Nigeria. It is not a homogeneous state nor culture.

A typical igbo burial that comes from old igbo traditions is expensive all over Igboland and today people choose to cut their cloth according to their size. Double burials amongst all Igbos used to be a thing until it was reformed.

What happened in Oba happens every other weekend all over the East, the only difference is that the Oba event was on a scale never witnessed before in Modern times.

Stop with this Anambra this and that, Igbo culture is simply off shoot of the same ancient traditions and doesn't have anything to do with states. Onyeka Onwenu is simply against what happened in Oba because of the impact it will make on Nigeria's perception of Igbos and will definitely increase the get rich quick syndrome amongst youths.

You are so ignorant of what you are saying. Every state has her own pattern of burial and it is not same in another states.

onyeka onwenu is just meddling in another states tradition which is bad.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Fan Attacked Wizkid After Saying He Organizes Free Concert / Cossy Orjiakor Reacts To Kemi Olunloyo's Confession With Cryptic Message / Omah Lay Says Uganda Is Not Allowing The Nigerian Government Intervene

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.