Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,292 members, 7,818,988 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:36 AM

My 18months Old Boy Is Behaving Stubborn - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My 18months Old Boy Is Behaving Stubborn (2506 Views)

Nairalanders Please Help, My First Son Is Behaving Somehow / How Do I Stop Behaving Like My Dad / Mummy Has Calmed Down And Boy Is Smiling In Short Interview After (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My 18months Old Boy Is Behaving Stubborn by Hathor5(f): 11:35am On Jul 30, 2021
MufasaLion:
So beating is the best option? The way y'all reason is just myopic.

That's the only way they know. Some people have even attacked the OP for asking how to handle the child like it is a crime to ask for alternatives to beating. Nigerians don't like any kind of progress.

1 Like

Re: My 18months Old Boy Is Behaving Stubborn by Hathor5(f): 11:35am On Jul 30, 2021
ThothHermes:
Na talk be this one? This is how people grow to become nuisance to society.

Proverbs 22:15
Foolishness is bound up in the heart of a child, but the rod of correction will drive it far from him.

Really? So all these armed robbers and ritualists were not spanked as children?

1 Like

Re: My 18months Old Boy Is Behaving Stubborn by MufasaLion: 11:49am On Jul 30, 2021
Hathor5:

That's the only way they know. Some people have even attacked the OP for asking how to handle the child like it is a crime to ask for alternatives to beating. Nigerians don't like any kind of progress.

Some Nigerians are just dumb! Beating doesn't change anything just like putting hardened criminals in the box doesn't change anything. It toughens 'em more, but that doesn't mean criminals shouldn't be jailed.

However, this little child's tantrums/anger can be controlled without beating.
Re: My 18months Old Boy Is Behaving Stubborn by Mindlog: 11:54am On Jul 30, 2021
MufasaLion:

Some Nigerians are just dumb! Beating doesn't change anything just like putting hardened criminals in the box doesn't change anything. It toughens 'em more, but that doesn't mean criminals shouldn't be jailed.

Many Nigerians believe beating the child is the magical solution when there are tons of resources online to better manage such behaviour.
Re: My 18months Old Boy Is Behaving Stubborn by MufasaLion: 12:04pm On Jul 30, 2021
Mindlog:

Many Nigerians believe beating the child is the magical solution when there are tons of resources online to better manage such behaviour.

Exactly! Nigerians are among the reason most Nigeiran Psychologist and Therapist don't have clients. Some Nigerians would rather beat the hell out if the kids and some go to the extreme of taking their wards/children to a policeman, vigilate, relatives to beat the crap out of them.

As a child I understood myself that I hate being beating or shouted at. I could remember I saw beating as wickedness and sign of hatred. I was never a bad child, but I hated beating. Till now, I detest beating of children, maids etc.

I believe more in having conversations than beating.

1 Like

Re: My 18months Old Boy Is Behaving Stubborn by Mindlog: 12:13pm On Jul 30, 2021
MufasaLion:

Exactly! Nigerians are among the reason most Nigeiran Psychologist and Therapist don't have clients. Some Nigerians would rather beat the hell out if the kids and some go to the extreme of taking their wards/children to a policeman, vigilate, relatives to beat the crap out of them.

As a child I understood myself that I hate being beating or shouted at. I could remember I saw beating as wickedness and sign of hatred. I was never a bad child, but I hated beating. Till now, I detest beating of children, maids etc.

I believe more in having conversations than beating.

I will have clients when I eventually decide to set up practice in Nigeria! cheesy

Beatings do not reform as intended but rather represses to generate blind submission and in most times, only for it to resurface when no longer under the control of the authoritarian figure .

1 Like

Re: My 18months Old Boy Is Behaving Stubborn by MufasaLion: 12:17pm On Jul 30, 2021
Mindlog:

I will have clients when I eventually decide to set up practice in Nigeria! cheesy

Beatings do not reform as intended but rather represses to generate blind submission, only for it to resurface when no longer under the control of the authoritarian figure .

You a shrink? wink
Re: My 18months Old Boy Is Behaving Stubborn by Mindlog: 12:20pm On Jul 30, 2021
MufasaLion:

You a shrink? wink

cheesy cheesy cheesy

Doing my specialty in clinical child psychology. wink
Re: My 18months Old Boy Is Behaving Stubborn by MufasaLion: 12:22pm On Jul 30, 2021
Mindlog:

cheesy cheesy cheesy

Doing my specialty in clinical child psychology. wink

Really? That's nice!
I'm just good at conversations but not a shrink.
Re: My 18months Old Boy Is Behaving Stubborn by Mindlog: 12:25pm On Jul 30, 2021
MufasaLion:

Really? That's nice!
I'm just good at conversations but not a shrink.

Being a conversationalist is a skill.
Re: My 18months Old Boy Is Behaving Stubborn by MufasaLion: 12:28pm On Jul 30, 2021
Mindlog:

Being a conversationalist is a skill.

Damn straight!
Re: My 18months Old Boy Is Behaving Stubborn by Hathor5(f): 12:36pm On Jul 30, 2021
MufasaLion:

bold

Yes!
Re: My 18months Old Boy Is Behaving Stubborn by Hathor5(f): 12:38pm On Jul 30, 2021
Mindlog:

Beatings do not reform as intended but rather represses to generate blind submission and in most times, only for it to resurface when no longer under the control of the authoritarian figure.

This is what I have learned when I moved abroad. The oyinbo kids would behave even in the absence of their parents whereas our children have only learned to do the right thing under observation. Once the threat of punishment is gone, they are out of control. They were only taught to avoid punishment, not moral reasoning.

1 Like

Re: My 18months Old Boy Is Behaving Stubborn by MufasaLion: 12:40pm On Jul 30, 2021
Hathor5:

bold

Yes!

I hope many people get to realize that cool cool cool

I had an argument with someone couple of months back about buying expensive to us for kids and he was of the opinion that expensive kids doesn't prepare the kids for the future, doesn't give them morals or whatever. I had to tell him that there are tons of expensive educative toys you could buy for your kids.

Africans believe you have to be harsh towards kids while the West have different view on that. I believe you can raise your kids and they will grow to become changemakers without depriving them of the basic things that will let them actualize their goals.

There are many kids abroad that have turned their hobbies to something we all are proud of now globally. In an average African home/community they tend to deprive kids of things and most especially deny them the opportunity to explore their hobbies. Now, people are getting to realize that football is lucrative hence the reason some sport professionals are setting up Sport Academy etc.
Re: My 18months Old Boy Is Behaving Stubborn by Hathor5(f): 12:41pm On Jul 30, 2021
MufasaLion:

I hope many people get to realize that cool cool cool

I am afraid they will continue to quote the Bible to justify violence against children.

1 Like

Re: My 18months Old Boy Is Behaving Stubborn by Mindlog: 12:52pm On Jul 30, 2021
Hathor5:

I am afraid they will continue to quote the Bible to justify violence against children.

What has Nigeria benefitted from the beatings majority of Nigerians received during their childhood...... the beatings like drums, like criminals.....attempted murder?

Has the beatings made majority of Nigerians trustworthy in personal life and business? Has it infused ethical thinking in us?

With the level of dysfunctionalities in many families, crime rate and insecurity.... beatings has not worked for Nigeria! angry

1 Like

Re: My 18months Old Boy Is Behaving Stubborn by MufasaLion: 12:54pm On Jul 30, 2021
Hathor5:

grin grin grin

Devil is always the culprit
Re: My 18months Old Boy Is Behaving Stubborn by MufasaLion: 12:55pm On Jul 30, 2021
Mindlog:

What has Nigeria benefitted from the beatings majority of Nigerians received during their childhood...... the beatings like drums, like criminals.....attempted murder?

Has the beatings made majority of Nigerians trustworthy in personal life and business? Has it infused ethical thinking in us?

With the level of dysfunctionalities in many families, crime rate and insecurity.... beatings has not worked for Nigeria! angry

It doesn't work anywhere! grin
Re: My 18months Old Boy Is Behaving Stubborn by Mindlog: 12:58pm On Jul 30, 2021
MufasaLion:

It doesn't work anywhere! grin

Well we tend to believe our beatings is so unique, that it makes you stand out in the world! cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: My 18months Old Boy Is Behaving Stubborn by MufasaLion: 1:02pm On Jul 30, 2021
Mindlog:

Well we tend to believe our beatings is so unique, that it makes you stand out in the world! cheesy cheesy

African parents always use that beating and being feared to nurse their ego. I don't even fear anybody in this world, not even my parents but I respect them.

Beating kids these days is like filling up a basket.
Re: My 18months Old Boy Is Behaving Stubborn by Mindlog: 1:05pm On Jul 30, 2021
MufasaLion:

African parents always use that beating and being feared to nurse their ego. I don't even fear anybody in this world, not even my parents but I respect them.

Beating kids these days is like filling up a basket.

It is a waste of time and energy! cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: My 18months Old Boy Is Behaving Stubborn by Hathor5(f): 1:23pm On Jul 30, 2021
Mindlog:

And yet you will always hear/read the 'spare the rod, spoil the child' misconception left, right and center.

As if it has helped raise the best behaved, most honest, least corrupt human beings on earth. undecided
Re: My 18months Old Boy Is Behaving Stubborn by cococandy(f): 1:46pm On Jul 30, 2021
So we are okay with beating babies now?

2 Likes

Re: My 18months Old Boy Is Behaving Stubborn by cococandy(f): 1:49pm On Jul 30, 2021
Hathor5:

Once the threat of punishment is gone, they are out of control. They were only taught to avoid punishment, not moral reasoning.

100 %

That’s every single one of us that was raised with cane and beatings. It doesn’t teach you to be a good person. After you grow up, you have to retrain yourself to act properly for the sake of itself not just to avoid getting punished.

2 Likes

Re: My 18months Old Boy Is Behaving Stubborn by MufasaLion: 1:49pm On Jul 30, 2021
Mindlog:

It is a waste of time and energy! cheesy cheesy

Abso-fvcking-lutely!
Re: My 18months Old Boy Is Behaving Stubborn by Hathor5(f): 2:06pm On Jul 30, 2021
cococandy:

100 %

That’s every single one of us that was raised with cane and beatings. It doesn’t teach you to be a good person. After you grow up, you have to retrain yourself to act properly for the sake of itself not just to avoid getting punished.

Exactly. However, bringing children up to have this kind of integrity requires a reorientation, time, energy, mental and emotional strength and a whole lot of self-discipline because it doesn't come natural to those of us who were raised with cane and beatings.

Corporal punishment is the laziest and least creative form of upbringing.
Re: My 18months Old Boy Is Behaving Stubborn by SonofGod231: 3:11pm On Jul 30, 2021
In my experience,It is normal for kids to throw tantrums especially when they feel they have options to choose from and then display their displeasure and when a normally well behaved child starts having tantrums completely out of the blue,they are trying to tell you something that they cannot put into words. It is important to listen to them.
Re: My 18months Old Boy Is Behaving Stubborn by myforty68: 3:49pm On Jul 30, 2021
watch super nanny and learn
Re: My 18months Old Boy Is Behaving Stubborn by myforty68: 3:50pm On Jul 30, 2021
watch supernanny and learn
Re: My 18months Old Boy Is Behaving Stubborn by Assumptabeke(f): 9:01pm On Jul 30, 2021
gfon:
Beat am small wen he misbehaves,but don't beat him till he starts to fear you and become a weakling,a man is suppose to have a bit of stubborness in him.I get strong head,i wouldn't expect less from my boy likewise.

Lion nor dey born goat. grin grin grin grin
Re: My 18months Old Boy Is Behaving Stubborn by Assumptabeke(f): 9:02pm On Jul 30, 2021
gfon:
Beat am small wen he misbehaves,but don't beat him till he starts to fear you and become a weakling,a man is suppose to have a bit of stubborness in him. I get strong head,i wouldn't expect less from my boy likewise.

Lion nor dey born goat. grin grin grin grin
Re: My 18months Old Boy Is Behaving Stubborn by ThothHermes: 9:17pm On Jul 30, 2021
Hathor5 post=1042448q43:

Really? So all these armed robbers and ritualists were not spanked as children?
Not early enough.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

A Smart Woman Doesn’t Keep A Beautiful Maid –dr. Ola Balogun / Picture Of My Beautiful Family / Advice Needed About Getting Married

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.