Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,607 members, 7,812,993 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:04 AM

How Can I Get A First Client On Upwork? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / How Can I Get A First Client On Upwork? (1135 Views)

What Am I Missing When Freelancing On Upwork / Help Me Bill My First Client / Guys Upwork Has Not Been On Side. No Job Since.... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can I Get A First Client On Upwork? by Techola: 10:18am On Jul 29, 2021
Hi
I just recently got aware of the upwork platform, after creating an account with them and uploading my profile there. I have submitted over 10 proposals now, I have very few connect left, over 24hrs now and non of the persons that I submitted proposals to has gotten back to me. Any guide on how I can get my first work there would be appreciated
Re: How Can I Get A First Client On Upwork? by Seniorwriter(m): 10:20am On Jul 29, 2021
What Skill / Service do you offer....your post is not explicit for advise suggestions....

@SENIORWRITER
Re: How Can I Get A First Client On Upwork? by Techola: 11:13am On Jul 29, 2021
A junior front end developer, I'm proficient with html,css, php and JavaScript
Re: How Can I Get A First Client On Upwork? by Nerro042: 11:21am On Jul 29, 2021
Techola:

Your portfolio (projects, previous works) should also play a big part. And first try bidding for the smaller jobs to build up reviews too. Just keep grinding bro you'll do well, just like many others before you.
Re: How Can I Get A First Client On Upwork? by Techola: 12:33pm On Jul 29, 2021
Alright thank you very much for the advice
Re: How Can I Get A First Client On Upwork? by OneKinGuy(m): 2:37pm On Jul 29, 2021
the forntend developer stuff is heavily saturated in upwork right now. So I will advice to to like narrow it down to one particular skill. It's either you provide only Javascript services, php services etc.

3 Likes

Re: How Can I Get A First Client On Upwork? by qtguru(m): 4:06pm On Jul 29, 2021
Techola:

Try Chrome Development, easier and less code

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can I Get A First Client On Upwork? by Carmal90(m): 4:43pm On Jul 29, 2021
[quote author=qtguru post=104219675]

Try Chrome Development, easier and less code[/quote

Sir,
Is it same as chrome extension development?
Re: How Can I Get A First Client On Upwork? by qtguru(m): 4:51pm On Jul 29, 2021
[quote author=Carmal90 post=104220898][/quote]
Yes
Re: How Can I Get A First Client On Upwork? by Carmal90(m): 4:53pm On Jul 29, 2021
qtguru:

Yes

Thanks
Re: How Can I Get A First Client On Upwork? by qtguru(m): 5:19pm On Jul 29, 2021
Carmal90:

Thanks

I have something in mind, if you guys are interested, we could all work on one together , I can make it open source so we can learn about it and reference it ours as portfolio, that's the best way in my experience to get clients.
Re: How Can I Get A First Client On Upwork? by Carmal90(m): 5:26pm On Jul 29, 2021
qtguru:

I have something in mind, if you guys are interested, we could all work on one together , I can make it open source so we can learn about it and reference it ours as portfolio, that's the best way in my experience to get clients.

I am interested sir...

Very interested sir
Re: How Can I Get A First Client On Upwork? by qtguru(m): 5:28pm On Jul 29, 2021
Carmal90:

I am interested sir...

Very interested sir

I am glad , because this will be my first time coding with Nairalanders. I will create the link and add Documentation of what I am trying to do.
Re: How Can I Get A First Client On Upwork? by Carmal90(m): 5:29pm On Jul 29, 2021
qtguru:

I am glad , because this will be my first time coding with Nairalanders. I will create the link and add Documentation of what I am trying to do.

Thanks
Re: How Can I Get A First Client On Upwork? by Techola: 6:06pm On Jul 29, 2021
Alright thank you very much for the insight
OneKinGuy:
the forntend developer stuff is heavily saturated in upwork right now. So I will advice to to like narrow it down to one particular skill. It's either you provide only Javascript services, php services etc.
Re: How Can I Get A First Client On Upwork? by Techola: 6:06pm On Jul 29, 2021
Yeah I'm interested, please do we'd be expecting the link
qtguru:

Re: How Can I Get A First Client On Upwork? by qtguru(m): 8:01pm On Jul 29, 2021
Techola:
Yeah I'm interested, please do we'd be expecting the link

I will, but I have to do a documentation, so I can document my thoughts, else there will be no direction. So give me some days. I will prepare documentation and some mockups. It is a personal research for me. I want to test if Rich Media Content will make NL a different platform. I will explain more.
Re: How Can I Get A First Client On Upwork? by Techola: 9:41pm On Jul 29, 2021
Alright then
qtguru:

I will, but I have to do a documentation, so I can document my thoughts, else there will be no direction. So give me some days. I will prepare documentation and some mockups. It is a personal research for me. I want to test if Rich Media Content will make NL a different platform. I will explain more.
Re: How Can I Get A First Client On Upwork? by von02: 10:31am On Jul 31, 2021
qtguru:

interested too
Re: How Can I Get A First Client On Upwork? by Johnwick64: 12:11am On Aug 01, 2021
qtguru:

interested but I can only code HTML and CSS Still learning
Re: How Can I Get A First Client On Upwork? by Naijatask: 1:03am On Aug 01, 2021
Just here to say Hi.
Re: How Can I Get A First Client On Upwork? by Nobody: 10:30pm On Aug 01, 2021
Use the tips given already here.
You don't need any other tip at this stage.

When you have too many clients, I'll teach you to manage them.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Get A First Client On Upwork? by Naijatask: 12:45pm On Aug 02, 2021
Ovaltine:
Use the tips given already here.
You don't need any other tip at this stage.

When you have too many clients, I'll teach you to manage them.

Good afternoon sir, mind my ignorance.

You once mentioned in your post that you use c# to develop android apps.

Compared to using Java or kotlin, which one should one learn? (Should I learn c# or java/kotlin)

Also, sorry if this question might seem offensive, but are you a computer science graduate?

Also, it a waste going into software engineering without a Computer science certificate?

I initially applied for Cyber security science in a federal university but I was given an entire unrelated course to the course which I applied for (I'm currently studying estate management and valuation but being a computer scientist have always been my dream as a kid).

I'll like to seek your humble opinions on my questions above.

Thank you smiley
Re: How Can I Get A First Client On Upwork? by Nobody: 8:13pm On Aug 02, 2021
Naijatask:

You once mentioned in your post that you use c# to develop android apps.

Compared to using Java or kotlin, which one should one learn? (Should I learn c# or java/kotlin)

Also, but are you a computer science graduate?

Also, it a waste going into software engineering without a Computer science certificate?

Thank you smiley

Learn Flutter if you need to go into mobile and mobile Web. Once you're good, you can extend into desktop with flutter. Dart will become your friend

It's faster to learn this than to learn c#.

I studied mathematics at BSc.
You need to learn computer science stuff on your own.
Data structure and algorithm. Very important.
Re: How Can I Get A First Client On Upwork? by Naijatask: 8:42pm On Aug 02, 2021
Ovaltine:

Learn Flutter if you need to go into mobile and mobile Web. Once you're good, you can extend into desktop with flutter. Dart will become your friend

It's faster to learn this than to learn c#.

I studied mathematics at BSc.
You need to learn computer science stuff on your own.
Data structure and algorithm. Very important.

Thank you alot for the advice sir.

Would you recommend going into web dev and mobile apps development going the JavaScript route?

I've been learning learning JavaScript for quite some while now.

Although my intention is to finally become a react native developer.

I don't know if react apps are good (I've heard react apps don't get access to some native features compared to Java) compared to apps developed using Java and kotlin.
Re: How Can I Get A First Client On Upwork? by Nobody: 8:56pm On Aug 02, 2021
Naijatask:

Thank you alot for the advice sir.

Would you recommend going into web dev and mobile apps development going the JavaScript route?

I've been learning learning JavaScript for quite some while now.

Although my intention is to finally become a react native developer.

I don't know if react apps are good (I've heard react apps don't get access to some native features compared to Java) compared to apps developed using Java and kotlin.

Focus on one thing first.
A step a time...

Since you like JS, you can do React native then. You'll definitely find libraries to help with platform specific implementations

1 Like

Re: How Can I Get A First Client On Upwork? by Naijatask: 1:47am On Aug 03, 2021
Ovaltine:

Focus on one thing first.
A step a time...

Since you like JS, you can do React native then. You'll definitely find libraries to help with platform specific implementations

Thanks alot for this valuable advice once again smiley

1 Like

Re: How Can I Get A First Client On Upwork? by kennethfranc(m): 1:27pm On Aug 03, 2021
@gtguru
@tensazangetsu20
pls what can you say about this laptop for a starter in data science... Am about paying for it

Lenovo T420
Core i5
750 gig HDD
4gig Ram
Windows 10
DVD RW CD ROM
Comes with a detachable docking station with 3.0 USB
Price 70k?

Re: How Can I Get A First Client On Upwork? by tensazangetsu20(m): 1:36pm On Aug 03, 2021
kennethfranc:
@gtguru
@tensazangetsu20
pls what can you say about this laptop for a starter in data science... Am about paying for it

Lenovo T420
Core i5
750 gig HDD
4gig Ram
Windows 10
DVD RW CD ROM
Comes with a detachable docking station with 3.0 USB
Price 70k?
If that's what you can afford to get then get it but it might not be sufficient for advanced data science o. If it's normal data analytics, try upgrading the ram to 8 gig.
Re: How Can I Get A First Client On Upwork? by kennethfranc(m): 1:52pm On Aug 03, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

If that's what you can afford to get then get it but it might not be sufficient for advanced data science o. If it's normal data analytics, try upgrading the ram to 8 gig.
Thanks a lot sir

(1) (Reply)

Logging In Problem: I'm Using Php And Mysql / Please How Do I Forward E-mails Into A Database? / Add Vorguepay Online Payment System To Your Website

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.