Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,656 members, 7,813,212 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:46 AM

Help Me Bill My First Client - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Help Me Bill My First Client (1197 Views)

Rate This Website I Built For A Client / How Can I Get A First Client On Upwork? / Checkout This Nairaland Client I'm Working On (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help Me Bill My First Client by Nobody: 2:15pm On Jun 29, 2021
I have been learning web development for a while now and though I'm still in the development stage I have gotten a hang of HTML, CSS and JavaScript with a little react and basic php. I am currently learning WordPress development .

Its not been easy coding as a struggling student so I set off looking for ways to earn with the small skills I have acquired while I keep developing myself and gaining much needed experience . I started reaching out to friends and family advertising my skills to them, I met our church pastor who owns a small school and he wants me to develop a website for the school and I will also install a school management system software for him.
Now I don't know how much to bill him in order not to scare him or shortchange myself. I plan on using WordPress to develop the site so they can easily add and edit content though I can code it from scratch too. PHP will take care of the school management system.

Please how much should I charge him, including buying .edu domain name and hosting for one year. The school is not that big but he's really enthusiastic about doing things the digital way.
Re: Help Me Bill My First Client by adelnehis(m): 7:07pm On Jun 29, 2021
Buy .edu.ng domain since its cheaper
Bill him 30k then he will likely negotiate down to 20k try to accept it since its your first time

And .edu.ng requires the school's license

1 Like

Re: Help Me Bill My First Client by Nobody: 7:13pm On Jun 29, 2021
adelnehis:
Bill him 30k then he will likely negotiate down to 20k try to accept it since its your first time

Isn't 20k small considering that I will also develop a school management system for him too along with the website?
Re: Help Me Bill My First Client by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:46pm On Jun 29, 2021
adelnehis:

Chei lipsrsealed
Re: Help Me Bill My First Client by Sohnya(f): 11:01pm On Jun 29, 2021
adelnehis:

Lol, what is this?
He might as well do it for free for the client.
It’s your type that clients refer to when they say “I know who can do it cheaper”

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help Me Bill My First Client by Karleb(m): 11:01pm On Jun 29, 2021
adelnehis:

Which kain advice be this?

OP, if you do it for this amount, thunder will fire you!

Ask for his budget.

I personally don't know how to charge client, but my range for a school software will be 300k - 700k.

If he's making 2 websites, then he should be ready to pay more.

Find out the number of student/pupils he has and how much they pay per term. From there, you can come up with a reasonable price.

Do it well sha.

4 Likes

Re: Help Me Bill My First Client by Nobody: 2:35am On Jun 30, 2021
Onahi95:
I have been learning web development for a while now and though I'm still in the development stage I have gotten a hang of HTML, CSS and JavaScript with a little react and basic php. I am currently learning WordPress development .

Its not been easy coding as a struggling student so I set off looking for ways to earn with the small skills I have acquired while I keep developing myself and gaining much needed experience . I started reaching out to friends and family advertising my skills to them, I met our church pastor who owns a small school and he wants me to develop a website for the school and I will also install a school management system software for him.
Now I don't know how much to bill him in order not to scare him or shortchange myself.
I plan on using WordPress to develop the site so they can easily add and edit content though I can code it from scratch too. PHP will take care of the school management system.

Please how much should I charge him, including buying .edu domain name and hosting for one year. The school is not that big but he's really enthusiastic about doing things the digital way.

Bro/Sis, this is where you need your intuitive brain. You case is an example of how an inborn CEO can take the situation to his/her advantage. Of course, I read the comments of your colleagues programmers. While I appreciate the like person who has made comment so far advising you the range of N300k to N700k based on what he can take. The initial people did not help you a bit. Imagine, they just quickly said nothing but complicated your case. They went against the person who told you to take N30k without offering a better suggestion. They offered no solution. This is why I appreciate the person above.

Apparently, the price most of your colleagues want to hear is N500kplus even getting to seven digits. But wait and be careful. Look at the underlined part above. You said you dont want to overcharge him, and you dont want to under charge yourself. Are you sure? Are you really sure you do not want to under charge yourself?

Listen, Nigerian pastors are known to always want favor. They want members to even sow seeds in their private businesses. And they can make or break you. They can easily damage your reputation without telling it to your face. Well, it also depends on the kind of church you go. Also, how wealthy the pastor his. And like the poster above me said, you must know how much he charges for school fees. Then, make deeper research about his attitude towards money. If you are smart, you can know who has been offered similar job and how much he paid in what year.

Personally, if it was me, I would take a walk and never even consider the option. I do not want pastors wahala. When they start destroying, ONLY God can save one. You may end up leaving the church if it's not your family church.

If you desperately need the money, amd you can do it at a cheap price (if you have carried research and you know this man will not pay you well), you also should give the pastor something less robust and simple that you can do easily. Also as regards the school management program, not sure how you want to do it, but you may give him already made app or software you just install. In this case, you do not need to charge him high since you didnt write the code, except he wants a customized option.

Deal with your pastor with wisdom. And please avoid advertising your skills among friends. This is a major disadvantage. Like I said earlier, programmers can not sell, they always find themselves marketing their products and services to close friends and relatives. Please, think of other ways. Leave your family, friends, and pastors out of your business. It is better your pastor hear about you from someone you have billed nicely. But this time, he has approached you like someone he wants to help eat (I may be wrong), but this is the way I see it from far. Be wise. If I was you, I might take a walk from it, and keep my dignity.

If you choose to do charity, make sure you tell him the real price it goes for; else, he will always take you for granted. Research well. Let him know the favor you are doing for him. Otherwise, you may end up doing more at a price which will keep hurting you. Like I said, I always take a walk from offers like this as they arent good in many cases. They usually are potential traps to hurt one.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help Me Bill My First Client by Raustin(m): 7:07am On Jun 30, 2021
You actually need a certificate of accreditation for the institution you're buying the domain for before you'll be allowed to host the website.
adelnehis:

Re: Help Me Bill My First Client by Karleb(m): 7:33am On Jun 30, 2021
This guy with long epistles always like to over complicate simple things. grin

1 Like

Re: Help Me Bill My First Client by Nobody: 7:50am On Jun 30, 2021
Karleb:

Which kain advice be this?

OP, if you do it for this amount, thunder will fire you!

Ask for his budget.

I personally don't know how to charge client, but my range for a school software will be 300k - 700k.

If he's making 2 websites, then he should be ready to pay more.

Find out the number of student/pupils he has and how much they pay per term. From there, you can come up with a reasonable price.

Do it well sha.
Thanks boss, my younger brother who used to work in the school said I shouldn't let the school appearance deceive me that the man has money. What I have in mind is 50k because I wont stress myself coding the school software from scratch, I will just modify an existing software to his specifications.

1 Like

Re: Help Me Bill My First Client by Nobody: 7:51am On Jun 30, 2021
Raustin:
You actually need a certificate of accreditation for the institution you're buying the domain for before you'll be allowed to host the website.
seems I might be using .com
Re: Help Me Bill My First Client by Nobody: 7:55am On Jun 30, 2021
PeaceJoyLove:

Bro/Sis, this is where you need your intuitive brain. You case is an example of how an inborn CEO can take the situation to his/her advantage. Of course, I read the comments of your colleagues programmers. While I appreciate the like person who has made comment so far advising you the range of N300k to N700k based on what he can take. The initial people did not help you a bit. Imagine, they just quickly said nothing but complicated your case. They went against the person who told you to take N30k without offering a better suggestion. They offered no solution. This is why I appreciate the person above.

Apparently, the price most of your colleagues want to hear is N500kplus even getting to seven digits. But wait and be careful. Look at the underlined part above. You said you dont want to overcharge him, and you dont want to under charge yourself. Are you sure? Are you really sure you do not want to under charge yourself?

Listen, Nigerian pastors are known to always want favor. They want members to even sow seeds in their private businesses. And they can make or break you. They can easily damage your reputation without telling it to your face. Well, it also depends on the kind of church you go. Also, how wealthy the pastor his. And like the poster above me said, you must know how much he charges for school fees. Then, make deeper research about his attitude towards money. If you are smart, you can know who has been offered similar job and how much he paid in what year.

Personally, if it was me, I would take a walk and never even consider the option. I do not want pastors wahala. When they start destroying, ONLY God can save one. You may end up leaving the church if it's not your family church.

If you desperately need the money, amd you can do it at a cheap price (if you have carried research and you know this man will not pay you well), you also should give the pastor something less robust and simple that you can do easily. Also as regards the school management program, not sure how you want to do it, but you may give him already made app or software you just install. In this case, you do not need to charge him high since you didnt write the code, except he wants a customized option.

Deal with your pastor with wisdom. And please avoid advertising your skills among friends. This is a major disadvantage. Like I said earlier, programmers can not sell, they always find themselves marketing their products and services to close friends and relatives. Please, think of other ways. Leave your family, friends, and pastors out of your business. It is better your pastor hear about you from someone you have billed nicely. But this time, he has approached you like someone he wants to help eat (I may be wrong), but this is the way I see it from far. Be wise. If I was you, I might take a walk from it, and keep my dignity.

If you choose to do charity, make sure you tell him the real price it goes for; else, he will always take you for granted. Research well. Let him know the favor you are doing for him. Otherwise, you may end up doing more at a price which will keep hurting you. Like I said, I always take a walk from offers like this as they arent good in many cases. They usually are potential traps to hurt one.
Right now I don't have a choice than talking to family and friends, I've applied for some remote jobs and had a couple of assessments only to be turned down because I reside in Nigeria and most of Nigerian tech jobs are in Lagos of which I'm not ready to relocate now. Freelancing sites na another wahalla .
Re: Help Me Bill My First Client by Nobody: 7:56am On Jun 30, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Chei lipsrsealed
Baba I for like your input o
Re: Help Me Bill My First Client by tope6217: 9:10am On Jun 30, 2021
It must not be less 300k but with dis yr knowledge in programming can u do it becos if u want to build a standard web like dat wordpress shld not be the one to use ,and yr basic knowledge of this php and react I don't think u can do it but try sha if u cant do it u return his money but dont spend it at all untill u finish it
Re: Help Me Bill My First Client by Nobody: 12:22pm On Jun 30, 2021
Onahi95:

Right now I don't have a choice than talking to family and friends, I've applied for some remote jobs and had a couple of assessments only to be turned down because I reside in Nigeria and most of Nigerian tech jobs are in Lagos of which I'm not ready to relocate now. Freelancing sites na another wahalla .
Then, be ready to take peanuts and do charity. Also, be ready to be called names and have bullet proofs for insults. When you are willing to start earning more, you know exactly where to go according to this post of yours. Everyone has priorities in this life. You have set yours, and be ready to deal with your choice.

With regards to remote jobs, move out of Nigeria if you know it is what will boost your chance. You can give excuses why you cannot, it is understandable and acceptable, but someone who is ready to pay the price will move out by all means and take the opportunities.

Goodluck sir!

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Assist Us With An Android App / Rss News Feed / Ajax And Responsive Web Solutions Has Finally Come To Nigeia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.