Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,585 members, 7,958,814 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 02:45 AM

Does Islam Support Begging As A Means Of Livelihood - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does Islam Support Begging As A Means Of Livelihood (656 Views)

Does Islam Really Encourage Bloodshed / Why Does Islam Always Get A Special Pass? The Hypocrisy!! / What Does Islam Say About Rainbow? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Islam Support Begging As A Means Of Livelihood by rajiedreez: 5:07am On Jul 30, 2021
Asalam alaikum warahmotulah

Please scholars in this section, the issue of begging for alms as a profession by some Muslims is baffling and I don't know if its permissible in Islam to take begging as a job.

Please anyone with deeper understanding of the religion should shed more light on this. Thanks p
Re: Does Islam Support Begging As A Means Of Livelihood by dingbang(m): 5:08am On Jul 30, 2021
Of course why wouldnt they.
Re: Does Islam Support Begging As A Means Of Livelihood by Goldbw122(m): 5:59am On Jul 30, 2021
dingbang:
Of course why wouldnt they.
They are everywhere in every major city.
Re: Does Islam Support Begging As A Means Of Livelihood by Bedtec: 6:01am On Jul 30, 2021
Everything evil is supported by Islam and everything good is a haram to them
Re: Does Islam Support Begging As A Means Of Livelihood by dingbang(m): 6:05am On Jul 30, 2021
Goldbw122:

They are everywhere in every major city.
their problem
Re: Does Islam Support Begging As A Means Of Livelihood by Goldbw122(m): 6:06am On Jul 30, 2021
dingbang:
their problem
They are using that business to cash out.
Re: Does Islam Support Begging As A Means Of Livelihood by Hangmnk: 6:06am On Jul 30, 2021
angry
Re: Does Islam Support Begging As A Means Of Livelihood by Hangmnk: 6:08am On Jul 30, 2021
Islam considers begging a hateful act. It forbids it except in dire necessity. The Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) dispraised begging and warned against it in many Hadith. Al Bukhari and Muslim reported from Abdullah Ibn Umar (Radiya Allahu Anhu) that the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) said: "The person keeps on begging until he comes on the Day of Resurrection with a face without any bit of flesh."

Islam urges Muslims to work, produce, give away and spend on others.

Al Bukhari reported from Abu Hurairah that the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) said: "By whom my soul is in His Hand! It is better for one of you to collect firewood and carry it on his back (to sell it in town) than to ask someone for something. He might give it to him or he might not."

In another narration: "It is better for one of you to collect firewood, carry it on his back and give away Sadaqa (alms) from it hence becoming self-sufficient than to ask someone who might give him or refuse. Indeed, the upper hand (the hand that gives) is better than the lower hand (the hand that takes). The person should start (when giving away) with those he is in charge of."

As for those to whom begging is lawful in Islam, they are three only: 1) the person who becomes a guarantor of large amount of money to reconcile people 2) whoever suffered from a disaster or a misfortune that affects his property. 3) The needy person who cannot satisfy his necessary needs from own belongings. The evidence for this is the Hadith reported by Muslim: "O! Qabisa, begging is not permissible but for one of the three (classes) of persons: one who gives a guarantee to a large amount to settle the dispute of people, for him begging is permissible till he pays that off, after which he must stop it; a man whose property has been destroyed by a calamity which has smitten him, for him begging is permissible till he gets what will support life, or will provide him reasonable subsistence; and a person who has been smitten by poverty, the genuineness of which is confirmed by three members of his peoples, for him begging is permissible till he gets what will support him, or will provide him subsistence. O! Qabisa, besides these three (every other reason) for begging is forbidden, and one who engages in such consumes what is forbidden."

Allah knows best.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does Islam Support Begging As A Means Of Livelihood by dingbang(m): 6:09am On Jul 30, 2021
Goldbw122:

They are using that business to cash out.
i know... They Give birth to 15children, put them on the streets to get at least 1k each daily, that is 15k, times 6 days or 7 days which gives them 105-125k monthly.

Good business
Re: Does Islam Support Begging As A Means Of Livelihood by Goldbw122(m): 6:12am On Jul 30, 2021
dingbang:
i know... They Give birth to 15children, put them on the streets to get at least 1k each daily, that is 15k, times 6 days or 7 days which gives them 105-125k monthly.

Good business
Smart business, North cashing out from the rest of the cardinal point.

That is why when am passing by, and they run after me, I will beg them too to give me money, and people will start looking at us.. na the small children go use shame go back.
Re: Does Islam Support Begging As A Means Of Livelihood by dingbang(m): 6:15am On Jul 30, 2021
Goldbw122:

Smart business, North cashing out from the rest of the cardinal point.

grin To the simp giving, they will think they are having mercy or pleasing God, but to the parent who put his children to beg, they are just customers or fools.
Re: Does Islam Support Begging As A Means Of Livelihood by Goldbw122(m): 6:21am On Jul 30, 2021
dingbang:
grin To the simp giving, they will think they are having mercy or pleasing God, but to the parent who put his children to beg, they are just customers or fools.
Yeah very true
Re: Does Islam Support Begging As A Means Of Livelihood by tatatar: 7:50am On Jul 30, 2021
I also keep wondering if xtianity supports prostitution as a means of livelihood,anyone?
Re: Does Islam Support Begging As A Means Of Livelihood by rajiedreez: 9:00am On Jul 30, 2021
Some people here thinks that everything a Muslim does is permissible in the religion, that Hausa Muslims take begging as a profession doesn't mean the religion accepts it. I know I've hear it somewhere before that a Muslim shouldn't take begging as a job. But everyone believes that beggers are doing exactly what Islam teaches which is a very wrong assumption.

I don't know if anyone notices also that northern beggers don't beg from their fellow northern hustlers, at least I've witnessed it severally. A begger will rather beg a southern hawker for money than beg a northern hawker. I don't know why this is so.

I'm not posting this to degrade any region, I'm only doing so for people to get a clearer understanding of the religion in that aspect.

(1) (Reply)

The True Gospel / Why Did The Jews Want To Kill Jesus When He Said This? / Arise

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.