Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,175 members, 7,821,982 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:33 PM

Showing Up Empty-handed At Your Host's House. Good Or Bad? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Showing Up Empty-handed At Your Host's House. Good Or Bad? (738 Views)

As I grow Older....The Negative Impacts Of These Acts Starts Showing Up / My Girlfriend Just Caught Me Red Handed / Masturbation: Good Or Bad? Nigerians React (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Showing Up Empty-handed At Your Host's House. Good Or Bad? by RealMarv(f): 3:40pm On Aug 03, 2021
Now, this is not a gender thing; how does it feel to show up at your host's house empty-handed and leave without even giving some compliments. No one is expecting you to show up with gifts every time you visit your friends but it doesn't hurt if you do at least once.

Personally, I don't feel comfortable going to a friend's house, most especially for the first time, and show up empty-handed. Even if it's something little, I'd take along or buy on the way. I once had a friend(not a close friend, trying to know each other better) visit me. I had to go out of my way to prepare a nice meal and got drinks so I could host properly in my little way. My visitor showed up, ate, and left without even complimenting my cooking of which I'm sure was nice...chai. That was the painful part.

I was surprised because I would never do that if I'm being hosted. I'm not saying a gift is always necessary, but at least give your host a nice compliment that would bring a smile to his/her face?
What are your thoughts guys?

1 Like

Re: Showing Up Empty-handed At Your Host's House. Good Or Bad? by Nobody: 3:43pm On Aug 03, 2021
This is why we have hotels.
I no dey go person house
Them no dey come my house
If you miss me and we want see make we dey one hotel drink we'll catch fun make everybody dey go their house.
I cherish my privacy
In this part of the world o

But in situations wey be say na compulsory dinner or meeting it's advisable to hold something edible or drinkable. In a place I used to live when invited na different food you go see for table. From different families. We go chop am gossip go house. But here I no know.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Showing Up Empty-handed At Your Host's House. Good Or Bad? by BigMediaNG: 3:43pm On Aug 03, 2021
Simple. Reduce your people-expectations and experience true peace.

1 Like

Re: Showing Up Empty-handed At Your Host's House. Good Or Bad? by RealMarv(f): 3:47pm On Aug 03, 2021
BigMediaNG:
Simple. Reduce your people-expectations and experience true peace.
I agree. I just feel it's normal etiquette.

1 Like

Re: Showing Up Empty-handed At Your Host's House. Good Or Bad? by tundchip2: 3:50pm On Aug 03, 2021
I don't expect but, if you bring, it's okay.
And, if I'm okay financially, I'll buy a little gift when I'm visiting. Or if it's my boys, I'll bring that big 'ol bag of weed.
The goat of gifts. grin
Re: Showing Up Empty-handed At Your Host's House. Good Or Bad? by BigMediaNG: 3:52pm On Aug 03, 2021
RealMarv:

I agree. I just feel it's normal etiquette.

You'll be shocked how low humanistic morality has dropped. I've stopped expecting and see people as plain fools. To the ones I've housed and fed,I've seen so much to believe too many people aren't normal. It tilts towards around say 90%

Just do your part and leave people with their pettiness alone

1 Like

Re: Showing Up Empty-handed At Your Host's House. Good Or Bad? by Kolisky(m): 3:58pm On Aug 03, 2021
At this point in time, do whatever that’s required of only you and you alone. No need of complaining. Have it done if you can or….

My peace I leave with you!
Re: Showing Up Empty-handed At Your Host's House. Good Or Bad? by Humanoid01(m): 4:10pm On Aug 03, 2021
BigMediaNG:

You'll be shocked how low humanistic morality has dropped. I've stopped expecting and see people as plain fools. To the ones I've housed and fed,I've seen so much to believe everyone else asides me in the world is sane

Just do your part and leave people with their pettiness alone
All I see here is self-righteousness. How dare you call people fools because they don't meet your own behavioural standards? Having flaws is one of the things that make us humans.

Perfection is a never-ending process. Don't judge people based on your standards, it is a sign of pride and you [of all self-righteous people] should know what comes after that.

1 Like

Re: Showing Up Empty-handed At Your Host's House. Good Or Bad? by BigMediaNG: 4:14pm On Aug 03, 2021
Humanoid01:

All I see here is self-righteousness. Having flaws is what makes us humans. Perfection is a never-ending process. Don't judge people based on your standards, it is a sign of pride and you [of all self-righteous people] should know what comes after that.

Here they come. Funny generation that never exhausts itself of psychological nuances

First of all, in the past 25 years of my life,I've not gone to peoples houses to eat. In occasions I eat in a group, I donate the lion share, however small or large. Its about aporeciate people, not playing coy to give credence to filthy habits

Your reserve psychological sling stone can and will never bruise my ego. Never
Re: Showing Up Empty-handed At Your Host's House. Good Or Bad? by Truvelisback(m): 4:20pm On Aug 03, 2021
RealMarv:
Now, this is not a gender thing; how does it feel to show up at your host's house empty-handed and leave without even giving some compliments. No one is expecting you to show up with gifts every time you visit your friends but it doesn't hurt if you do at least once.

Personally, I don't feel comfortable going to a friend's house, most especially for the first time, and show up empty-handed. Even if it's something little, I'd take along or buy on the way. I once had a friend(not a close friend, trying to know each other better) visit me. I had to go out of my way to prepare a nice meal and got drinks so I could host properly in my little way. My visitor showed up, ate, and left without even complimenting my cooking of which I'm sure was nice...chai. That was the painful part.

I was surprised because I would never do that if I'm being hosted. I'm not saying a gift is always necessary, but at least give your host a nice compliment that would bring a smile to his/her face?
What are your thoughts guys?
What compliment are u angry abt? Is it 4 the taste of ur food or for eating ur food?
Re: Showing Up Empty-handed At Your Host's House. Good Or Bad? by Humanoid01(m): 4:20pm On Aug 03, 2021
BigMediaNG:

Here they come. Funny generation that never exhausts itself of psychological nuances

First of all, in the past 25 years of my life,I've not gone to peoples houses to eat. In occasions I eat in a group, I donate the lion share, however small or large. Its about aporeciate people, not playing coy to give credence to filthy habits

Your reserve psychological sling stone can and will never bruise my ego. Never

So because you have been in situations where you had to be selfless, you see others who are different as fools and you think you're better than them?

This very feature you just exhibited makes you even worse than those you belittle. You are proud because you think you are selfless. That in itself actually makes you selfish, and it defeats the personality that you're trying so hard to depict.
Re: Showing Up Empty-handed At Your Host's House. Good Or Bad? by BigMediaNG: 4:21pm On Aug 03, 2021
Humanoid01:

So because you have been in situations where you had to be selfless, you see others who are different as fools and you think you're better than them?

This very feature you just exhibited makes you even worse than those you belittle. You are proud because you think you're selfless. That in itself actually makes you selfish, and it defeats the personality that you're trying so hard to depict.

The judge and the interpreter. The one who assumes my imagination, my perspective and judges it.

Continue to wallow in your nonsense. I'm busy
Re: Showing Up Empty-handed At Your Host's House. Good Or Bad? by tillaman(m): 4:23pm On Aug 03, 2021
sad

1 Like

Re: Showing Up Empty-handed At Your Host's House. Good Or Bad? by Humanoid01(m): 4:25pm On Aug 03, 2021
BigMediaNG:

The judge and the interpreter. The one who assumes my imagination, my perspective and judges it.

Continue to wallow in your nonsense. I'm busy
Dey there dey deceive yourself.
Re: Showing Up Empty-handed At Your Host's House. Good Or Bad? by RealMarv(f): 3:35pm On Sep 18, 2022
Addition: If you show up empty -handed, you're not permitted to leave your host empty-handed unless you don't have.

(1) (Reply)

I Am Confused. The Dead stays UNDEAD ? / Let me just keep quiet / If A Man Raped You And....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.