Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,200 members, 7,818,666 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:18 PM

How Safe Is Macaroni/noodles After "Best Before Date"? - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How Safe Is Macaroni/noodles After "Best Before Date"? (30502 Views)

Expiry Date And Best Before Do NOT Mean The Same Thing! / Lady Burnt Noodles While Watching 'Zee World' (Photos) / Top 5 Ways To Make Indomie Noodles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Safe Is Macaroni/noodles After "Best Before Date"? by authority2006(m): 9:05pm On Aug 03, 2021
tmtech:
No let Sapa push you to do this ooo...

The nutritional value wouldn't be as expected again..

Also the chemicals and addictives used in processing could be potentially harmful at this stage.

Bottomline, don't consume it.

Lol. The "chemicals and additives" wouldn't be harmful before the "best before date" but would be harmful after the "best before date"?
Re: How Safe Is Macaroni/noodles After "Best Before Date"? by Sleekfingers: 9:22pm On Aug 03, 2021
Dat2jo:
Hello Nairalanders. So I was gifted some food items. I just noticed that among them, 5 cartons of indomie and 5 cartons of Honeywell Macaroni both carry a 'best before date' of 2mnts ago (1st June 2021 and 3rd June 2021 respectively). How safe will it be for us to consume them? Or should we just dispose them off? Thanks

Dispose them asap.....or else na hospital una go land......

Most of such expired spaghetti, biscuit, sardines, tomato paste, powder milk etc are sold in agbara , okoho, iya una, badagry markets, idi iroko, .....they are sold cheap. .. especially around poverty infested neighborhoods..........most of them can't read or simply just don't give a damn about the dates........And see the way people were rushing it. ...even last week ,when I went to agbara to see a friend...I still saw those expired goods. ....
Re: How Safe Is Macaroni/noodles After "Best Before Date"? by Sleekfingers: 9:24pm On Aug 03, 2021
Pidginwhisper:
Na person wey hunger never deal with dey find expire date for spaghetti.

And that person will end in the hospital......

1 Like

Re: How Safe Is Macaroni/noodles After "Best Before Date"? by Sterope(f): 9:39pm On Aug 03, 2021
They like a scapegoat. He is not one of the 36 governors in Nigeria.
Dat2jo:
All the 36 state governors hoarded covid-19 palliatives. What have you done about them? grin

Re: How Safe Is Macaroni/noodles After "Best Before Date"? by mkoabiola: 9:56pm On Aug 03, 2021
Your father in law must be among d corrupt Nigerians.

We need to look for him and detain him.

Go chop d indomie and enjoy d corrupt system

1 Like

Re: How Safe Is Macaroni/noodles After "Best Before Date"? by sammyKCC(m): 9:56pm On Aug 03, 2021
Dat2jo:
Hello Nairalanders. So I was gifted some food items. I just noticed that among them, 5 cartons of indomie and 5 cartons of Honeywell Macaroni both carry a 'best before date' of 2mnts ago (1st June 2021 and 3rd June 2021 respectively). How safe will it be for us to consume them? Or should we just dispose them off? Thanks

Its safe to consume but u wont get d same quality in taste as expect.....pasta are made up of jst 3 ingredients flour, water and pasta enzymes....its deterioration rates is quite slow
Re: How Safe Is Macaroni/noodles After "Best Before Date"? by Nobody: 10:01pm On Aug 03, 2021
Ishilove:

You want to follow chop from the curses abi?
him fit do sign of the cross and chop am naw if no be say he Don expire
Re: How Safe Is Macaroni/noodles After "Best Before Date"? by Cation(m): 10:07pm On Aug 03, 2021
tmtech:
No let Sapa push you to do this ooo...

The nutritional value wouldn't be as expected again..

Also the chemicals and addictives used in processing could be potentially harmful at this stage.

Bottomline, don't consume it.
Heed to his advise he is Food Scientist/ Nutritionist.

Best before simply means the quality of that food product is guaranteed up to that date provided you play your part of quality assurance eg proper storage. However, manufactured foods sometimes have chemical preservatives which can become less potent after BB. I doubt that the preservatives can become toxic because they are food grade chemicals. When the preservatives expire, microorganisms can easily grow in the food if it remains on the shelf, this type of foods may contain microbial toxins and bacteria cells as a whole which can cause food poisoning. In addition, some preservatives are used to inhibit the procession of certain chemical reactions that can hasten deterioration of the food through the formation of undesirable toxic or non-toxic components in the food. After BB this type of foods can be harmful, so it is hypothesised that the preservatives are not actually the villain. All foods have best before dates including raw foods like grains. In the case of raw foods you will loose the nutritional and the eating quality of such foods after best before date. Hence, you are not getting value for your money.

1 Like

Re: How Safe Is Macaroni/noodles After "Best Before Date"? by 77star: 10:19pm On Aug 03, 2021
Ombudsman1:

You claim to operate a grill and bar etc which you speak so highly of yet so idly appearing on every thread soon as it's created. For how long would you live in chronic delusion? You are far from normal
Baba, the man u quoted is not sane
I know what I'm talking about

U'll tell lie to a certain stage and u won't realize u've lost touch with reality

He's one of those pple

1 Like

Re: How Safe Is Macaroni/noodles After "Best Before Date"? by mank1234(m): 11:28pm On Aug 03, 2021
Dat2jo:
I doubt if anyone will be able to give you a good answer other than what the product itself says. I think I can help.

Take a pen and paper. Write down your nairaland password. Eat the damn noodles. Tell those around you to tell the world what happened to you, if it hurts. This is an opportunity to be credited with this experiment. Take it; opportunity comes but once.
Re: How Safe Is Macaroni/noodles After "Best Before Date"? by jumper524(m): 11:42pm On Aug 03, 2021
Dat2jo:
All the 36 state governors hoarded covid-19 palliatives. What have you done about them? grin

not all. Borno, kano and some northern states didn't.
Re: How Safe Is Macaroni/noodles After "Best Before Date"? by showafrica(m): 3:05am On Aug 04, 2021
Dat2jo:

A junk food is already dangerous not to talk of an expired one. If you are rich or middle class person, it will be poison to you but if you are very poor, e no go do you anything. When disposing it, check if you have wretched people around you, tell them its expired and you want to throw it away.
Re: How Safe Is Macaroni/noodles After "Best Before Date"? by linearity: 3:36am On Aug 04, 2021
Na English fresher course you need…..it reads ‘Best before….’

And note ‘Worse after….’

In English, before Best, there is Better and before better, there is Good, which means, though it is not best to eat it after that date, but it is still better and obviously still good.
Re: How Safe Is Macaroni/noodles After "Best Before Date"? by frozen70(f): 3:41am On Aug 04, 2021
Dat2jo:

Naija expired food never kill any one before
Re: How Safe Is Macaroni/noodles After "Best Before Date"? by phemmyfour: 5:08am On Aug 04, 2021
Re: How Safe Is Macaroni/noodles After "Best Before Date"? by Jessepaid(m): 6:50am On Aug 04, 2021
SLOVFO:
As far as I know best before date is not same as expiry date. Best before date means that the quality of the product cannot be guaranteed after the date given. But product can still be considered safe. But remember, nothing is quaranteed after the best before date. So examine the stuff before you eat
I love you bro...

Common sense is in your DNA...

Dat year for uni my guy dey carry tin tomato wey don pass best before date like 3months ago...

We go still pam am use am cook stew...

Examine the product properly before you use it simple...

The quality of the product, taste and all cannot be guaranteed after the best before date it doesn't mean it's not safe to eat...

1 Like

Re: How Safe Is Macaroni/noodles After "Best Before Date"? by martinz1: 7:48am On Aug 04, 2021
stevebond007:
Best before doesn't mean it has turn to poison, but it means it would have lost its taste and properties.

Expiry date for drugs means it has definitely turn to poison.
Expiration for drugs also means it has reduced potency, not poisoned,
But anything a month close to expiry Date ,I don't consume it, life has no duplicate
Re: How Safe Is Macaroni/noodles After "Best Before Date"? by Fantazy(m): 11:20am On Aug 04, 2021
Chop your thing, nothing is happening

But if you want to dispose them, let me send you my address. We have bigger waste bins in our compound
Re: How Safe Is Macaroni/noodles After "Best Before Date"? by pavoda: 11:37am On Aug 04, 2021
I have read the paper, it never pegged drug usage beyond its exipry date at 2yrs. It still recommendations that have not been implemented in any reasonable way. The legal implications of just arbitrarily pegging drug safety beyond its expiration date is dangerous and the cost to confirm any of these would be astronomical. Another issue is regarding what amounts to storage under the right conditions, in a Fridge? Cool dark place? On you Counter top in the heat and humidity of Nigeria?
Certainly the side effects of a drugs increase if there is any change in the composition even if the drug doesn’t become totally unsafe. I would not recommend taking any antibiotic In liquid or dry form beyond its expiration date. So yes that info is Dangerous.
phemmyfour:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7040264/
Re: How Safe Is Macaroni/noodles After "Best Before Date"? by phemmyfour: 12:16pm On Aug 04, 2021
pavoda:
I have read the paper, it never pegged drug usage beyond its exipry date at 2yrs. It still remains recommendation that have not been implemented in any reasonable way. The legal implications of just arbitrarily pegging drug safety beyond its expiration date is dangerous and the cost to confirm any of these would be astronomical. Another issue is regarding what amounts to storage under the right conditions, in a Fridge? Cool dark place? On you Counter top in the heat and humidity of Nigeria?
Certainly the side effects of a drugs increase if there is any change in the composition even if the drug doesn’t become totally unsafe. I would not recommend taking any antibiotic In liquid or dry form beyond its expiration date. So yes that info is Dangerous.
you have comprehension problem
Re: How Safe Is Macaroni/noodles After "Best Before Date"? by pavoda: 12:57pm On Aug 04, 2021
Don't spread half truths. When you are ill try to avoid expired drugs for your own safety. Take that as professional medical advice.
phemmyfour:
you have comprehension problem

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Questions/useful Tips On Cake Baking,decorating Etc / Efirin/scented Leaf Soup / Can You Pass This Food Safety Quiz? (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.