Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,871 members, 7,828,105 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 12:44 AM

Is It Too Late To Change Careers At 40? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is It Too Late To Change Careers At 40? (10726 Views)

Top 5 Careers That Can Make Your Spouse Cheat On You / Promising Careers And Professions Emerging In Africa / When Is It Too Late To Get A Degree? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Too Late To Change Careers At 40? by JimmyBoy1: 5:40pm On May 18, 2011
I am actually thinking along this line too ,I am not doing badly in my Banking/Finance profession but I have strong passion for making things, anything that solves human problem. However, knowledge of Fiscal Policies or Bond Valuation does not really create anything, creation falls under the jurisdiction of Physical science . Hence, I have started again from my SSCE level science and hope to train myself to the level of creating things at home. Sometimes I look at stuff we import from Import and China, they do not seem to be that techy to me yet they rake billions from us.
Re: Is It Too Late To Change Careers At 40? by deelobe: 6:39pm On May 18, 2011
Its never too late. Am in my mid forties and I just realised that I was taken for a ride in a place where I had worked for over a decade. I could have been wallowing in self-pity but men I dusted my books gone back to school to make myself marketable and that includes working on my physical appearance. A lot of people around the world are beginning to realise that age is nothing more than a number. the 40 of today is the 30 of yeserday. What is too late can only be determined by you. LOL

1 Like

Re: Is It Too Late To Change Careers At 40? by queensmith: 6:45pm On May 18, 2011
@ ajanlekoko your probably right, but isnt 40 too old for a mid life??
Re: Is It Too Late To Change Careers At 40? by Sagamite(m): 6:55pm On May 18, 2011
Jimmy Boy:

I am actually thinking along this line too ,I am not doing badly in my Banking/Finance profession but I have strong passion for making things, anything that solves human problem. However, knowledge of Fiscal Policies or Bond Valuation does not really create anything, creation falls under the jurisdiction of Physical science . Hence, I have started again from my SSCE level science and hope to train myself to the level of creating things at home. Sometimes I look at stuff we import from Import and China, they do not seem to be that techy to me yet they rake billions from us.

deelobe:

Its never too late. Am in my mid forties and I just realised that I was taken for a ride in a place where I had worked for over a decade. I could have been wallowing in self-pity but men I dusted my books gone back to school to make myself marketable and that includes working on my physical appearance. A lot of people around the world are beginning to realise that age is nothing more than a number. the 40 of today is the 30 of yeserday. What is too late can only be determined by you. LOL

Good stuff.

1 Like

Re: Is It Too Late To Change Careers At 40? by buzugee(m): 8:27pm On May 18, 2011
queensmith:

@ ajanlekoko your probably right, but isnt 40 too old for a mid life??
yes people get to midlife at 25 years of age tongue tongue
Re: Is It Too Late To Change Careers At 40? by Pukkah: 5:42pm On May 19, 2011
It's not too late especially considering the age at which you hope to retire.
Re: Is It Too Late To Change Careers At 40? by CHIMSKY(m): 5:58pm On May 19, 2011
My brother sit down and take a long hard look at yourself.What do you really enjoy doing?No one else but you can decide that as the bible makes it clear in 1st Corinthians 2:10 that "no one can know a man's mind like the spirit of that man himself."
Its important to find out what God wants you to do with your life.But the Holy Spirit will not hit you over the head like he did Paul on the road to Damascus.Let me give you a tip.The mind of God for your life is closest to your deepest desires.If you keep on having recurrent thoughts or dreams about a particular hobby and for instance would do it for free;its possible that God is trying to show you what he has in store for you.
Read The Power of Purpose by Myles Munroe or call me for a free Guidance and Counselling Session @ 0806 668 6769.
Re: Is It Too Late To Change Careers At 40? by beneli(m): 10:51pm On May 19, 2011
. . . beneli, chuckles to himself. . .

I was having a discussion with a colleague of mine today on the same topic. He asked me how old i was and when i told him my age (41), he said that he was about a year older than what i am now, when he decided to try to chart a new course for his own life, which would take him in direction different from where his life was otherwise headed. At the time of his own 'crises', he was already a director- level health practitioner in his countries ministry of health; you could say he wasn't doing badly at all, but something about the role and the prospects wasn't really satisfying for him.

So he braced himself and embarked on a new journey - came to the uk, got a PhD, did a bit of research here and there in things that really interested him, and then explored the new challenges (adventures, perhaps) that life was waiting to throw at him. 15 years down the line, he doesn't regret making that move he made. He feels fulfilled and happy. His wife and kids are comfortable. . .

The lesson - the restlessness that overcomes some people as they hit 40, for some, may be more to do with the pusuit of 'happiness' and 'life satisfaction' than prosaic considerations such as 'money'. . .

@OP, do what it is that will make you feel fulfilled and 'happy'. . . 15 years from now. . .

If it helps - you are not alone!

1 Like

Re: Is It Too Late To Change Careers At 40? by Nobody: 5:56am On May 20, 2011
But they said a fool at forty is a fool forever, I didn't say that oh!
Re: Is It Too Late To Change Careers At 40? by RIGASA: 10:31pm On May 20, 2011
To me, old age is always fifteen years older than I am.
Re: Is It Too Late To Change Careers At 40? by queensmith: 9:09am On May 21, 2011
^^ even when ur 50?? lol i like that!
Re: Is It Too Late To Change Careers At 40? by MPEROR: 6:51pm On Jun 05, 2011
What do you know how to do and enjoy start your own biz on those 2 points
Re: Is It Too Late To Change Careers At 40? by anointedf(m): 4:57pm On Jun 13, 2011
I am also 40, working in the telecomm sector in Nigeria. I realised what use to give me joy is when imparting knowledge. I like it a lot and many do appreciate it. Presently not feeling fulfilled in the place that i am now. I want to change geer and really serious about it. From Telecomm to teaching career in the university. Bringing my practical experience to the classroom.

Guys, to me age is no barrier.
Re: Is It Too Late To Change Careers At 40? by brianon: 4:42pm On Sep 02, 2011
It might be harder, but not necessarily too late. I have heard of people much older going back to school.
Re: Is It Too Late To Change Careers At 40? by cexplorer(m): 1:06pm On Sep 06, 2011
CHIMSKY:

My brother sit down and take a long hard look at yourself.What do you really enjoy doing?No one else but you can decide that as the bible makes it clear in 1st Corinthians 2:10 that "no one can know a man's mind like the spirit of that man himself."
Its important to find out what God wants you to do with your life.But the Holy Spirit will not hit you over the head like he did Paul on the road to Damascus.Let me give you a tip.The mind of God for your life is closest to your deepest desires.If you keep on having recurrent thoughts or dreams about a particular hobby and for instance would do it for free;its possible that God is trying to show you what he has in store for you.
Read The Power of Purpose by Myles Munroe or call me for a free Guidance and Counselling Session @ 0806 668 6769.

Yours suggests to me that you're a pastor.

I have a great passion for evangelism: crusading, church planting/development and church workers training.

My entire life and dream was built on this passion since September 13, 1978 at age 18 when I gave my life to Christ.

I was sold out to this passion that I lost all: education, wealth, enjoyment, pleasure, etc, serving God in churches and ministries that I became a full time minister in 1993 having resigned my appointment as a civil servant.

I was thrown out of my ministerial career as a church administrator in July 2008 at age 45. Please don't ask me why because my boss gave me not any reason whatsoever for her decision. Any reason I may be compelled to suggest would be imaginary!

To my point relative to this post: I am 48 years old in age. I can't start a church because God commands me not to. I can run a bible college but I haven't got the money to do that. My church is a good ground to launch me as a seminar facilitator, etc but would not for matters of protocol and internal <crisis>.

One better option I considered as a possible solution is to seek job employment in any field with my WASCE or D.Th to raise money.

My question is what are my chances of being getting a job and how may I?

Sincerely.
lling Session @ 0806 668 6769.
[quote][/quote]

Yours suggests to me that you're a pastor.

I have a great passion for evangelism: crusading, church planting/development and church workers training.

My entire life and dream was built on this passion since September 13, 1978 at age 18 when I gave my life to Christ.

I was sold out to this passion that I lost all: education, wealth, enjoyment, pleasure, etc, serving God in churches and ministries that I became a full time minister in 1993 having resigned my appointment as a civil servant.

I was thrown out of my ministerial career as a church administrator in July 2008 at age 45. Please don't ask me why because my boss gave me not any reason whatsoever for her decision. Any reason I may be compelled to suggest would be imaginary!

To my point relative to this post: I am 48 years old in age. I can't start a church because God commands me not to. I can run a bible college but I haven't got the money to do that. My church is a good ground to launch me as a seminar facilitator, etc but would not for matters of protocol and internal <crisis>.

One better option I considered as a possible solution is to seek job employment in any field with my WASCE or D.Th to raise money.

My question is what are my chances of being getting a job and how may I?

Sincerely.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Coy I Worked For Refused To Pay Me My Expenses, Pensions And One Month In Lieu / How To Start Egg Supply Business (step By Step) / 9 Things Bosses Do That Make Employees Quit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.