Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,787 members, 7,956,011 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 09:16 PM

Are Police Allowed To Recover Debt As DCP Kyari Did For Hushpuppi’s Friend? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are Police Allowed To Recover Debt As DCP Kyari Did For Hushpuppi’s Friend? (26025 Views)

Reno Omokri: What Abba Kyari Did Affects You As A Nigerian / Police Panel To Grill DCP Kyari As US Issues Arrest Warrant / Coronavirus: What Abba Kyari Did In The Last 10 Days (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Police Allowed To Recover Debt As DCP Kyari Did For Hushpuppi’s Friend? by MarxMike(m): 8:28pm On Aug 05, 2021
I get plenty people wey dey owe me money oh.. I bin wan call Officer Sani this evening sef make im go collect am for me...Who I go call now?
Re: Are Police Allowed To Recover Debt As DCP Kyari Did For Hushpuppi’s Friend? by BeardedMeat(m): 8:32pm On Aug 05, 2021
festacman:
Abba Kyari didn't paint himself as an intelligent police officer. He covered himself in ignominy rather than in glory. He disappointed those who trusted him, broke the hearts of those who admired him and brought joy to those who hated him.

Obviously, he got too comfortable with his official powers. He got carried away with his much-feared and admired crime-fighting exploits. He conscience got numbed by unaccounted impunity committed in the line of duty.

From phone calls, text messages, Whatsapp chats to Facebook posts, Abba Kyari left easily traceable digital footprints all over the place. Agreed that he never expected Hushipuppi to retain their chats as trophy but to delete after reading but generally using his official lines for such illegal 'runs' was too dumb. He didn't display native intelligence, 'street-wisdom' or acquired intelligence. I am sure FBI agents were chuckling and shaking their heads about Nigeria Police while working on this case. I bet even the illiterate bandits in Zamfara forests would do better.
Ok so the problem now is that he wasn't street wise, not that he used his official capacity to betray public trust?
Re: Are Police Allowed To Recover Debt As DCP Kyari Did For Hushpuppi’s Friend? by festacman(m): 8:37pm On Aug 05, 2021
PhilipReigns:

Your observations are correct but it's not as if he isn't intelligent, his previous professional achievements in crime fighting can prove that he's (or was) an intelligent officer.

What you failed to observe is that this man is displaying foolish approach in his FBI case simply because he's guilty as charged. he's tensed up and can't think straight right now. I understand this because I have been through such emotional panic in the past expecially when the news come straight at you unexpected. The man is guilty. He's in panic and seriously tenced up, hence the reason his acting like that, it's not a matter of being intelligent or not, anyone can act like this when in serious tension.

I agree with you. Tension and panic mood can lead to multiple blunders.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Police Allowed To Recover Debt As DCP Kyari Did For Hushpuppi’s Friend? by Chinnems(m): 8:39pm On Aug 05, 2021
When the law is violated repeatedly without any repercussions, violations start to appear legal, and the violators become more emboldened.

Kyari's purported defence (if you can refer to such hogwash as a defence) only reinforces the many reasons well-meaning Nigerians have lost faith in the country's criminal justice system, and the clamour for greater transparency.

While Kyari might be in the eye of the storm at the moment, lots of Nigerians are guilty of similar offences and will only cry foul when they find themselves on the receiving end.

From landlords harassing their tenants,
To madams arresting their sales girls,
To parents threatening school teachers,
To even students detaining fellow students.

I pray that we all learn a lesson or two from Kyari's predicament, and also begin to imbibe the upright nature we wish to see in others.

God bless Nigerians.
As for Nigeria, let God do whatever He wishes.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Police Allowed To Recover Debt As DCP Kyari Did For Hushpuppi’s Friend? by Stanchem029: 8:42pm On Aug 05, 2021
Frontail:
cool
#IstandwithAbbaKyari#
Any day anytime cool cool cool
Nooooo ! Sheyyykkkiiiieee cool cool cool
Stop it. Are you not ashamed?
Re: Are Police Allowed To Recover Debt As DCP Kyari Did For Hushpuppi’s Friend? by richeso: 8:43pm On Aug 05, 2021
bros calm down. the word OBT will shove off all this.
Re: Are Police Allowed To Recover Debt As DCP Kyari Did For Hushpuppi’s Friend? by freeman67: 8:44pm On Aug 05, 2021
ictplotter:

Can u hear yourself? Court is judiciary arm while police belong to the executive arm. Debt recovery is sole responsibility of the judiciary not the police.

True police belong to the executive arm and court the judiciary. Also true is that debt recovery and other civil matters are the responsibility of the Judiciary.

However, it is only the executive arm that has the capability to enforce.

What then happens if a debtor that has the money and capacity to refuse to pay even after the court pronouncement and several promise to pay but failed..?

Though functions are defined for all the arms of government, non can work in isolation..

1 Like

Re: Are Police Allowed To Recover Debt As DCP Kyari Did For Hushpuppi’s Friend? by mechanics(m): 8:46pm On Aug 05, 2021
That means he has questions to answer.
Re: Are Police Allowed To Recover Debt As DCP Kyari Did For Hushpuppi’s Friend? by Oju4190: 8:49pm On Aug 05, 2021
A police officer that does not know the primary duties of a police officer..... is that one a police officer.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are Police Allowed To Recover Debt As DCP Kyari Did For Hushpuppi’s Friend? by 3pointsagree: 8:52pm On Aug 05, 2021
Soon the truth will come out
Re: Are Police Allowed To Recover Debt As DCP Kyari Did For Hushpuppi’s Friend? by Proudlysalga: 9:01pm On Aug 05, 2021
The police is NEVER I repeat NEVER a debt recovery agent/institution! Schmucks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are Police Allowed To Recover Debt As DCP Kyari Did For Hushpuppi’s Friend? by luvsalamat1991(m): 9:14pm On Aug 05, 2021
on my perspective this country our future is at stake.why is it that whenever a debtor owe why is it that the owner take the debtor to the people instead of court.if they are to capitalise on this sorry we be the case for all of them because there is not in that,i can boldly say the case of owing money is even much than any other case in there file.last last den go sweep the matter for under carpet.
From phone calls, text messages, Whatsapp chats to Facebook posts, Abba Kyari left easily traceable digital footprints all over the place. Agreed that he never expected Hushipuppi to retain their chats as trophy but to delete after reading but generally using his official lines for such illegal 'runs' was too dumb. He didn't display native intelligence, 'street-wisdom' or acquired intelligence. I am sure FBI agents were chuckling and shaking their heads about Nigeria Police while working on this case. I bet even the

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are Police Allowed To Recover Debt As DCP Kyari Did For Hushpuppi’s Friend? by luvsalamat1991(m): 9:22pm On Aug 05, 2021
Chinnems:
When the law is violated repeatedly without any repercussions, violations start to appear legal, and the violators become more emboldened.

Kyari's purported defence (if you can refer to such hogwash as a defence) only reinforces the many reasons well-meaning Nigerians have lost faith in the country's criminal justice system, and the clamour for greater transparency.

While Kyari might be in the eye of the storm at the moment, lots of Nigerians are guilty of similar offences and will only cry foul when they find themselves on the receiving end.

From landlords harassing their tenants,
To madams arresting their sales girls,
To parents threatening school teachers,
To even students detaining fellow students.

I pray that we all learn a lesson or two from Kyari's predicament, and also begin to imbibe the upright nature we wish to see in others.

God bless Nigerians.
As for Nigeria, let God do whatever He wishes.
God bless you i like people balancing issue
Re: Are Police Allowed To Recover Debt As DCP Kyari Did For Hushpuppi’s Friend? by Halle000: 10:10pm On Aug 05, 2021
My Migration: Story My children Drink Person Piss In Libya- Returnee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id49orbj6nM
Re: Are Police Allowed To Recover Debt As DCP Kyari Did For Hushpuppi’s Friend? by Nobody: 10:25pm On Aug 05, 2021
ARAB CONTRACTORS (O. A. O.) NIGERIA LTD V. GILLIAN UMANAH
(2012) LPELR-7927(CA)

POLICE - DUTY OF POLICE - Whether the duty of the police includes the settlement of civil dispute or debt collection

"There is a plethora of cases on the fact that a civil arrangement is not a matter for the police. The police, as the Respondent's counsel has pointed out, is not a debt collecting organization. InIgwe v. Ezeanuchie (2010) 7 NWLR Pt.1192 Pg. 61, this Court held that the police are not and should not in any community of civilized people be used as debt or levy collectors, or in the resolution or settlement of civil disputes amongst people. See also AGBAI V. OKUGBUE (1991) 7 NWLR Pt.204 Pg.391; NKPA V. NKUME (2001) 6 NWLR Pt. 710 pg. 543."
Per OGUNWUMIJU, JCA [as he then was] (P. 10, paras. C-F)

PERSON WHO REPORTS PURELY CIVIL MATTER TO POLICE

ISSUE:
Liability of person who reports purely civil matter to Police.

PRINCIPLE:
“When a person reports a purely civil matter to the Police, such a person cannot go scot-free, as the report ought not to have been made at all since it is not within the purview of Police duties. It is a report made mala fide and he will be equally liable for the action taken by the Police irrespective of whether he actively instigated them or not, since he had no business involving the Police in a purely civil matter in the first place. Such conduct, which portrays a disregard of the law and is aimed at using the coercive powers of the State to punish a contracting party in a purely civil matter ought to be mulcted in exemplary damages. In the instant case, the conduct of Mrs. Sokari Davies, an enlightened person who reported such a matter to the police instead of going to court to seek for enforcement of the contract or damages for breach of same, amounted to wickedness, and was mala fide. The charges of cheating and criminal breach of trust could not have a place against the appellant, let alone proving it to a conviction. In fact he deserved an unreserved apology from Mrs. Sokari Davies who set, unjustly and mala fide, the criminal process against the appellant. [Okafor v. AIG Police Zone II Onikan (2019) LPELR-46505.” Per. Abba Aji, JSC.

CITATION:
Kure v. C.O.P. (2020) 9 NWLR (Pt. 1729) 296 at 326, paras. B – F (SC)

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Police Allowed To Recover Debt As DCP Kyari Did For Hushpuppi’s Friend? by JustTruth: 10:26pm On Aug 05, 2021
dre11:

What The Law Says: Are police allowed to recover debt as DCP Kyari did for Hushpuppi’s friend?

https://www.thecable.ng/what-the-law-says-are-police-allowed-to-recover-debt-as-dcp-kyari-did-for-hushpuppis-friend

The guy lacks intelligence and knowledge as is evident in the continued utterances and Facebook alterations he made. This kind of persons are only famous in a failed nation. A smart officer will keep quiet and strategize on the best approach.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Police Allowed To Recover Debt As DCP Kyari Did For Hushpuppi’s Friend? by Franking: 10:31pm On Aug 05, 2021
Abba Kyari is a yahoo cop. Clear conscience fears no accusation. Let him go to America and clear his name.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are Police Allowed To Recover Debt As DCP Kyari Did For Hushpuppi’s Friend? by snoopz: 11:06pm On Aug 05, 2021
festacman:
Abba Kyari didn't paint himself as an intelligent police officer. He covered himself in ignominy rather than in glory. He disappointed those who trusted him, broke the hearts of those who admired him and brought joy to those who hated him.

Obviously, he got too comfortable with his official powers. He got carried away with his much-feared and admired crime-fighting exploits. He conscience got numbed by unaccounted impunity committed in the line of duty.

From phone calls, text messages, Whatsapp chats to Facebook posts, Abba Kyari left easily traceable digital footprints all over the place. Agreed that he never expected Hushipuppi to retain their chats as trophy but to delete after reading but generally using his official lines for such illegal 'runs' was too dumb. He didn't display native intelligence, 'street-wisdom' or acquired intelligence. I am sure FBI agents were chuckling and shaking their heads about Nigeria Police while working on this case. I bet even the illiterate bandits in Zamfara forests would do better.

na quota system make an head the intelligence unit...
because this one na mumu e no wise atall, tomorrow now e fit change story
Re: Are Police Allowed To Recover Debt As DCP Kyari Did For Hushpuppi’s Friend? by tnerro1(m): 11:30pm On Aug 05, 2021
We will soon hear that Abba Kyari has contacted covid 19 and is in treatment, that’s how the case will disappear form public discussion and the police and tailors association will send him a very big get well soon card.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are Police Allowed To Recover Debt As DCP Kyari Did For Hushpuppi’s Friend? by calcal: 11:40pm On Aug 05, 2021
kingphilip:
If he was a roadside police officer, it would have been considered a case of illiteracy as an excuse but he is so top of the echelon that he should know what is right and not.

But true true, silence is golden.
If to say him keep quiet initially, e for no reach this level sha.

Really really unbecoming of a perceived brilliant super cop.

He didn't cover himself in glory this time.

Remember, there is a quota system in the zoo. it is biting the system badly.
Re: Are Police Allowed To Recover Debt As DCP Kyari Did For Hushpuppi’s Friend? by sampsonub100: 11:43pm On Aug 05, 2021
FutureIsFemale:
Male police? No. Female police? Yes.
My dear, I have been observing you here on Nairaland for a long time and the way you make disparaging remarks about men. My question is: do you have anything personal about men?
Re: Are Police Allowed To Recover Debt As DCP Kyari Did For Hushpuppi’s Friend? by BluntCrazeMan: 12:31am On Aug 06, 2021
Monogamy:
Interesting.

Say something naa
Re: Are Police Allowed To Recover Debt As DCP Kyari Did For Hushpuppi’s Friend? by BluntCrazeMan: 12:33am On Aug 06, 2021
sampsonub100:
My dear, I have been observing you here on Nairaland for a long time and the way you make disparaging remarks about men. My question is: do you have anything personal about men?
Depression is doing a strong thing in her life at the moment.
Allow her to heal for now

1 Like

Re: Are Police Allowed To Recover Debt As DCP Kyari Did For Hushpuppi’s Friend? by tellwisdom: 12:59am On Aug 06, 2021
PhilipReigns:

Your observations are correct but it's not as if he isn't intelligent, his previous professional achievements in crime fighting can prove that he's (or was) an intelligent officer.

What you failed to observe is that this man is displaying foolish approach in his FBI case simply because he's guilty as charged. he's tensed up and can't think straight right now. I understand this because I have been through such emotional panic in the past expecially when the news come straight at you unexpected. The man is guilty. He's in panic and seriously tenced up, hence the reason his acting like that, it's not a matter of being intelligent or not, anyone can act like this when in serious tension.

No, it can’t be worse for an intelligent police officer of that rank to keep implicating himself without coming up with something tangible, still.

I can authoritatively tell you that most of these people are not really that smart or intelligent as we think. I have met with few and I am sure of what I’m saying.

It all boils down on this quota system we hear about. And from report so far, they said he’s not the one carrying out those intelligent investigations and arrest of high profile offenders; but are quick to stay in front of camera to take accolades.

Him backyard wey bandits and boko boiz full- How many he don arrest? They are not even hiding; on-like what is obtainable in other states.

1 Like

Re: Are Police Allowed To Recover Debt As DCP Kyari Did For Hushpuppi’s Friend? by grandlexuz(m): 1:42am On Aug 06, 2021
PhilipReigns:

He is not an intelligent man. Period

1 Like

Re: Are Police Allowed To Recover Debt As DCP Kyari Did For Hushpuppi’s Friend? by seguno2: 2:19am On Aug 06, 2021
jumpandpas:
cheesy

His state Borno is under ISWAP AND BOKO HARAM but he's in SE claiming to be super cop.

I thought that he is in the SE to do tailoring job for Obi Cubana ni? grin
Re: Are Police Allowed To Recover Debt As DCP Kyari Did For Hushpuppi’s Friend? by smallsmall: 3:25am On Aug 06, 2021
Go and read the EFCC Act!
Financial Crimes, including 'obtaining by deception', Fraud, Ponzi Schemes, etc are all CRIMINAL OFFENSES under NIGERIAN law and the Police have a big role to play in apprehending and prosecuting the Fraudster/419/debtor, since they are the State Prosecutors, under our laws.

BTW, l know YOU, you are owning somebody or have duped some people and you just want to know where you stand, when they unleash EFCC operatives on you.
Your days are numbered.
Re: Are Police Allowed To Recover Debt As DCP Kyari Did For Hushpuppi’s Friend? by smallsmall: 3:41am On Aug 06, 2021
freeman67:

True police belong to the executive arm and court the judiciary. Also true is that debt recovery and other civil matters are the responsibility of the Judiciary.

However, it is only the executive arm that has the capability to enforce.

What then happens if a debtor that has the money and capacity to refuse to pay even after the court pronouncement and several promise to pay but failed..?

Though functions are defined for all the arms of government, non can work in isolation..

It is a Citizens right to report ANY MATTER to the Police.
It is the duty of the Police to DECIDE if that matter is within their jurisdiction.
We should not also forget that a matter that starts as "Civil", might quickly degenerate to a Criminal matter and as long as the Police has a Duty to maintain "Law and Order", they can intervene in ANY MATTER that threatens Law and Order or "liable" to cause Breach of Public Peace.
A "Debt" cab also be a criminal matter, depending on how the Debt came about.
If you "obtained someone by trickery", you are owing the said person by the amount you defrauded him but under EFFC Act, that is a Criminal offense and the Police/EFCC Officers will surely drag the 'Debtor'/

If the Creditor starts dragging the Man that owes him and the Police feels it is liable to cause a breach of public Peace, the Police can intervene, ask the Debtor to py up or make arrest, all in an effort to maintain "Law and Order".

I think the person who started this thread is trying to send a message out, that the person(s) his is owing, cant arrest him with Police or use the Police to make him pay them. grin grin
Infact, when l bring two crazy red-hat Soldiers to your door, you will cough out my money instantly because those ones will beat you to supor and then detain you at Barracks, till your people pay the Debt and incidenta expenses join. grin undecided

1 Like

Re: Are Police Allowed To Recover Debt As DCP Kyari Did For Hushpuppi’s Friend? by Joseph08(m): 3:44am On Aug 06, 2021
Buhari will need him as a debt collector in order to recover the loans collected under his administration.

Re: Are Police Allowed To Recover Debt As DCP Kyari Did For Hushpuppi’s Friend? by IMASTEX: 3:52am On Aug 06, 2021
festacman:
Exactly, Nigeria is a lawless country, hence he was carried away with his powers knowing no one could come after him in Nigeria. He forgot there was a global big eye. It is the same mindset that make his colleagues collect #100 openly on the road, and even kill if not given and nothing will happen to them. It is only God that will know how many atrocities he would have committed in Nigeria for powerful individuals all in the name of super cop.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nnamdi Kanu Is In Abaribe’s Custody - FG Tells Court / Photos From Soludo Transition Committee Inauguration / Shocking! APC Praises Gov. Wike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.