Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,668 members, 7,955,418 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 04:52 AM

Chelsea Star Havertz Reveals The Special Meaning Behind His Unusual No.29 Shirt - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Chelsea Star Havertz Reveals The Special Meaning Behind His Unusual No.29 Shirt (338 Views)

Di Maria: Man United’s Iconic No. 7 Shirt Had No Special Meaning To Me / OFFICIAL: Wan-bissaka Will Wear The No.29 Shirt At Man United / Morata To Wear No 29 Shirt For Chelsea This Season (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Chelsea Star Havertz Reveals The Special Meaning Behind His Unusual No.29 Shirt by ochuski(m): 5:23pm On Aug 06, 2021
The number on a footballer's shirt might be one of their most recognizable marks, and the Chelsea midfielder reveals why the No.29 shirt is so special to him. In 1928, shirts with numbers were introduced to football to make it easier to identify positions. They have, however, evolved into iconic icons of football heroes past and present, and just seeing the numerals on the shirt may make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. They've been utilized to distinguish between legends - R9 for Cristiano Ronaldo and CR7 for Ronaldo.

They were retired to honor luminaries ranging from Bobby Moore's renowned No.6 at West Ham United to Jude Bellingham's No.22 at Birmingham City. Kai Havertz, the champion of the Champions League-winning goal scorer for Chelsea, has a special number. Despite the fact that No.29 isn't a usual number for star players and club record acquisitions, Havertz revealed why it means so much to him in an interview with The Athletic.

“When I was younger, my brother and I would always play FIFA or Pro Evolution Soccer, we always found a way to stay in the game. My brother wore the number 29 on his shirt all the time. When Leverkusen asked me what number I wanted for the professional game, I asked them which numbers were available and they mentioned 29. I responded I'd accept it because of my brother. It's lucky for me sometimes, and it's not, but I appreciate the number, and I think everyone knows who I am because of it,” Havertz remarked.

Manchester City's entire defense is undoubtedly shivering at the sight of the No.29. After all, it would have been the last thing they saw before the young German raced past their back four like a gazelle and circled Ederson to score the game-winning goal for Chelsea in the Champions League.

The 22-year-one old's moment of brilliance has arguably cemented his status as a Chelsea icon, but the number's former tenant did not have the same fortune. Unfortunately, the Spaniard's fortunes did not improve, and he was shortly loaned to Atletico Madrid. Havertz had similar issues last season, but he finished strong for the Blues.

Do you also think numbers add special luck to players?

Kindly share your thoughts in the box below and don't forget to hit the follow button for more interesting sports updates.

Source
Chelsea Star Kai Havertz Reveals The Special Meaning Behind His Unusual No.29 Shirt

Related News
Barcelona Exit - Why Lionel Messi Coming To Chelsea Might Be An Unrealistic Dream

Opinion: Signing Romelu Lukaku Will Give Chelsea Something Erling Haaland Never Could

Thomas Tuchel’s Reaction After Chelsea's Friendly Draw Against Tottenham Hotspur

Chelsea Has 72 Hours To Conclude Bid For Borussia Dortmund’s Forward Or Risk Losing Out

Opinion: Why Lukaku Would Be A Perfect Signing For Chelsea FC

Opinion: How Thomas Tuchel Can Fix Two Chelsea Transfer Problems Without Spending Millions

(1) (Reply)

Barcelona Players Pay Tribute To Leo Messi / Mikel Obi Finally Reveals Why He Snubbed Manchester United For Chelsea / Which Five African Countries Will Qualify For The World Cup?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.