Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,425 members, 7,822,970 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 08:35 PM

"We Are Not Slaves" -Coca-Cola Pay Nigerian Day-Workers $2.60 Per Day? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "We Are Not Slaves" -Coca-Cola Pay Nigerian Day-Workers $2.60 Per Day? (19390 Views)

Buhari Should Pay Nigerian Airforce Unestablished Salary / VIDEO: Jumbo Pay-nigerian Youth Activists Take On Gluttonous Senators / VIDEO: Jumbo Pay-nigerian Youth Activists Take On Gluttonous Senators (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "We Are Not Slaves" -Coca-Cola Pay Nigerian Day-Workers $2.60 Per Day? by omo9ja1(m): 8:52am On May 18, 2011
casual staff for 9years that is not fair
Re: "We Are Not Slaves" -Coca-Cola Pay Nigerian Day-Workers $2.60 Per Day? by MMM2(m): 9:01am On May 18, 2011
is a pity,
dis 2
bad.
Re: "We Are Not Slaves" -Coca-Cola Pay Nigerian Day-Workers $2.60 Per Day? by bidemi12(m): 9:26am On May 18, 2011
ekt_bear:

OK.

I am a rice farmer. Every month I produce a unit of rice.

I search around looking for who wants to buy.

One guy offers me N1000, another N1100, another N2000.

So once a month for two years I sell to the guy for N2000. Now, eventually over time I don't like this price. I want to sell the crop for more than N2000.

The guy refuses to raise the buying price. Now, if I search around and find someone else willing to meet my new price of say N2500, then fine, I simply stop selling to him.

But if I cannot find anyone willing to pay more, then I'm in no position to b1tch about the price he is offering, am I? And I'm certainly in no position to demand more, or guilt-trip/force him into paying more, right?

Why is he obliged to pay me more money for the crop I'm selling than what others are willing to pay?

Minimum wages have never made sense to me. If you don't like the salary at your job and think you deserve more money but they are unwilling to pay it, then it should be easy for you to quit and find a higher-paying job. And if you are NOT able to do so, then it should tell you you aren't underpaid at all.

I really like your argument. But there is a problem. You forget that in a poverty stricken society where resources are not evenly distributed such that the populace are not able to pursue education in order to better their careers, then they are forced to rely on govt handouts/minimum wage and unions to get whatever they can. 1, the jobs are not out there. 2, you don’t have the skills necessary to get a better job. What do you do?
Re: "We Are Not Slaves" -Coca-Cola Pay Nigerian Day-Workers $2.60 Per Day? by pariski(m): 9:48am On May 18, 2011
Let us be objective in our
Opnions. Can anyone of us allow our relations work for such company in Lagos? What about house rent, feeding and transport condition in Lagos. Coca cola company can do better if they desire to do so. Such great imbalance in the system will cause civic unrest. There will be no peace for the richest. The poor will always be thorn in the flesh. At least their take home should be enough to take care of their basic needs. If we are less concern, we are breeding lawlessness/miscreants in the society. They are willing to work. They should be encourage before taking in to criminality. Their main target will be their boss that deny them meeting up with their daily bread.
Re: "We Are Not Slaves" -Coca-Cola Pay Nigerian Day-Workers $2.60 Per Day? by bisiaet: 9:56am On May 18, 2011
I'm not surprise to hear this about CocaCola it has always be their culture to make all the money in world and pay token to their workers. In about 2 years back a neighbour working for CocaCola for over 12 years called it quit over suddenly and when he was asked why? it wss unbeleiveable when he revealed how much they are paying him it was a shock because what everybody where thinking was a company of CocaCola level should be paying better but reverse was the case the are just a killer company taken advantage of their workers this is so painful and shameful

We cant really blame them afterall the government of the land has no structure on how our fellow Nigeria workers should be treated the question is can such menial pay per hour be given to a worker in their homeland?? And the funniest thing is even our fellow Nigeria in position of authority within the company are even the one colluding with these people to pay their fellow Nigerians a mere slave pay it is a big shame, Nigeria is indeed has loads of such animal called themselves a Nigerian everywhere in this country who derive joy seen others in pains or underpaid or treated like a slave.
Re: "We Are Not Slaves" -Coca-Cola Pay Nigerian Day-Workers $2.60 Per Day? by 4Play(m): 10:21am On May 18, 2011
I always find those who speak with so much pious platitude about the inequities of wage compensation in Nigeria hypocritical. Almost every adult Nigerian is an employer of labour, even if for the briefest of periods. If you have gone to the mechanic, bought something in the market, hired a builder or a tailor, or gone to the barbers, e.t.c, you employed labour in such transactions. I'll bet you all these platitudinous people in their daily transactions will haggle the price they'll pay to the lowest they can get. None of them will pay any heed to the personal circumstances of the petty trader trying to sell them their wares at a marked up price.

These Coca Cola employees knew what the wages were before signing their contracts but they signed it nonetheless. To claim that their circumstances are analogous to those of slaves is an insult to our intelligence and the memory of actual slaves.

As for trade unions, they perform a laudable role in so far as they hold employers to their contractual and legal obligations. Where I have a problem with trade unions is where they continually demand ever escalating wages to the extent that the viability of their employers and the wage competitiveness of an economy is harmed.
Re: "We Are Not Slaves" -Coca-Cola Pay Nigerian Day-Workers $2.60 Per Day? by Pharoh: 10:22am On May 18, 2011
If they are not paying below the minimum wage agreed for that industry then i see no problem because they are in it to make profits.
Re: "We Are Not Slaves" -Coca-Cola Pay Nigerian Day-Workers $2.60 Per Day? by laoak2: 10:33am On May 18, 2011
It is such a pity, that goverment has placed no value on the citizens. With what God has blessed us with, we are entittle to have unemplyment agency, that takes care of the unemployed, we make so much money everyday and they (few set of people) spend this money everyday on themselves alone.
In a country where you have about 50k as unemployment benefit monthly, no company or organisation will pay his worker less. 80% of nigerian work force are in this category of under payment, NLC and trade union are only fighting for their own wallet, they make noise only when government is about to change of an important occasion in nigeria.

Some people here are suggesting, this guys should look for another work, it is very wrong, where will they find another work? is the company not making profit? they are !!!!!  but they want to maximum cost at the expense of the workers, many of them die of stress and pressure.

Nigerian citizen life does worth more than this, we are all suppose to stand up and fight injustice in work places, Airtel treat his staff like slave in their own country, coca-cola and many oil companies, yet we have a body call  NLC Nigeria labour congress, the reason why they will not stand up for this guys is very simple and known, they dont contrubute to the NLC purse. NLC is a disaster, they are corrupt and they should be abolished, they have lost thier value and priority. They are to fight for the powerless. they are only fighting for the pocket and to become governors, what a country , nigeria!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: "We Are Not Slaves" -Coca-Cola Pay Nigerian Day-Workers $2.60 Per Day? by Nobody: 10:56am On May 18, 2011
Labour Laws
Re: "We Are Not Slaves" -Coca-Cola Pay Nigerian Day-Workers $2.60 Per Day? by haydesh: 11:08am On May 18, 2011
@ Sun of god
Hence the exploitation will continue. ,  I'm not advocating suicide - I'm just pointing out that where there is a will - there is a way.

@ LeoMax
Labour Laws
  Hummmm!!!

@ Laoak2
Nigerian citizen life does worth more than this, we are all suppose to stand up and fight injustice in work places, Airtel treat his staff like slave in their own country, coca-cola and many oil companies, yet we have a body call  NLC Nigeria labour congress, ,  NLC is a disaster, they are corrupt and they should be abolished, they have lost thier value and priority. They are to fight for the powerless. what a country , nigeria!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's a good thing we are beginning to see the value of a relevant progressive labour law which is in place, implemented, monitored and has necessary support structures/institutions

This is the core of our discussion on Nigeria Labour Forum
Re: "We Are Not Slaves" -Coca-Cola Pay Nigerian Day-Workers $2.60 Per Day? by Nobody: 11:29am On May 18, 2011
God help Nigerians, Oh Lord God remove every form of slavery from Nigeria
Re: "We Are Not Slaves" -Coca-Cola Pay Nigerian Day-Workers $2.60 Per Day? by sirjec(m): 11:32am On May 18, 2011
This is exactly why most of us do not want privatisation in this country. Capitalist are wicked especially when they see the labour available and little opportunity. "If you don't want to work, resign, after all I beg to apply" is their slogan. Where there is proper law and jobs available are more than the labour, you see the salaries attractive. This is indeed slavery. The risk is not equal to the pay. If those workers decide to become thieves, the government will start fighting to kill them but now they have devoted their time to work, they deserve something better. Government should come up with a salary structure to avert slavery, hire and fire at will etc. Most of these workers have families oooo.
Re: "We Are Not Slaves" -Coca-Cola Pay Nigerian Day-Workers $2.60 Per Day? by otokx(m): 11:34am On May 18, 2011
Nothing wrong with coca cola's action
Re: "We Are Not Slaves" -Coca-Cola Pay Nigerian Day-Workers $2.60 Per Day? by sley4life(m): 11:35am On May 18, 2011
bolsh.t.y dat. If it was in europe u'l earn far more. What do they think we are.
Re: "We Are Not Slaves" -Coca-Cola Pay Nigerian Day-Workers $2.60 Per Day? by Moves: 12:06pm On May 18, 2011
This is so wrong in every manner, And for those trying to blame the government solely for this and stating that Coca cola is acting solely within the ambit of the law, are way off mark; ever heard of Fairtrade; the kick against Nike sweat factories- this were initiatives focused on getting a better deal for the people in countries where their government dont care, Coca Cola is a big brand; all this requires is CNN picking it up and swiftly this is issue will get the attention it deserves to be resolved especially when they are making so much money. Fairness and Social justice is what is needed; Is it fair for Coca Cola to pay a labourer N400 per day when a labourer working in Ajah on a building site could get similar pay. Fairness not Exploitation. Coca Cola does not need the government to pass a law for it to treat it labourers fairly. And No it is not Capitalism it is Exploitation.
Re: "We Are Not Slaves" -Coca-Cola Pay Nigerian Day-Workers $2.60 Per Day? by MIKOLOWISKA: 12:20pm On May 18, 2011
EKITI BEAR TELL DEM.WE TOO LIKE SENTIMENT FOR Naija INSTEAD MAKE DEM GO FOUND DIA OWN COMPANY DEM DE WAIT FOR WHO GO PAY BIG MONEY FOR SMALL PRODUCTIVITY.IN TO AMERICA AND SEE WHAT MINIMUM WAGE HAS CAUSED , OUTSOURCING TO CHINA.NOW EVEN THE LOW PAYING JOB DEM NO SEE.CERT AFT MAKE D WORKERS FORM COOPERATIVE AND BUY D COMPANY THEN THEY CAN PAY THEMSELVES WHATEVER THEY LIKE
Re: "We Are Not Slaves" -Coca-Cola Pay Nigerian Day-Workers $2.60 Per Day? by ChScott(m): 12:41pm On May 18, 2011
Capitalist in the highest order.
Re: "We Are Not Slaves" -Coca-Cola Pay Nigerian Day-Workers $2.60 Per Day? by naijaking1: 2:08pm On May 18, 2011
Coca-cola and other companies are in Nigeria to make profit, not give out welfare. It's up to our government to set wage and work conditions. This standard will determine if a company like coke stays in Nigeria or relocates to an environment they can make more profit---simple economics, no sentiments.
Also, some Nigerians are very lazy, confused, and sometimes outright wicked. I once hired somebody complaining of not having 'work' since after graduation. We agreed on terms and conditions for the service and everything started off smoothly, he was quite happy at the begining. Barely 3 months into the job, he could not come to work on time, when he comes, he leaves 3-4 hours earlier than scheduled, and at some days, he wouldn't come to work at all. When I complained, he said something about slave labor, how I had forgotten that we're related by blood, and how he was wasting his time trying to make me a rich man.
I have given this example, because I think this is how many Nigerians see the World in terms of economy, employment, and even politics.
Re: "We Are Not Slaves" -Coca-Cola Pay Nigerian Day-Workers $2.60 Per Day? by Kobojunkie: 2:30pm On May 18, 2011
Moves:

This is so wrong in every manner,  And for those trying to blame the government solely for this and stating that Coca cola is acting solely within the ambit of the law,  are way off mark; ever heard of Fairtrade; the kick against Nike sweat factories- this were initiatives focused on getting a better deal for the people in countries where their government  dont care,  Coca Cola is a big brand; all this requires is CNN picking it up and swiftly this is issue will get the attention it deserves to be resolved especially when they are making so much money. Fairness and Social justice is what is needed; Is it fair for Coca Cola to pay a labourer N400 per day when a labourer working in Ajah on a building site could get similar pay. Fairness not Exploitation. Coca Cola does not need the government to pass a law for it to treat it labourers fairly. And No it is not Capitalism it is Exploitation.

I think you ought to go back to the NIKE Sweat factory incident to understand why you cannot compare it to this in the first place. NIKE was not paying these people the legal wages. Also the people were overworked (as in working illegal hours) and not treated according to acceptable standards.

These people only claim to be overworked, but their does not seem to be any claim in the article that they work illegal hours. They are paid over the minimum wage in said country and the wages are legal.

Nothing wrong in what Coca Cola is doing here as it is well within what is legally set. This issue has little to do with Capitalism per say, and more to do with Government policies on how Businesses can treat their employees. Plus, if you have a problem with this, I say again start with Government since Government and many of our local employers(nigerian owned companies) pay their people less than $2 a day and it is still considered legal(well until the Government seeks to enforce the new minimum wage bill, which even states have confessed will be hard to meet).
Re: "We Are Not Slaves" -Coca-Cola Pay Nigerian Day-Workers $2.60 Per Day? by Fhemmmy: 2:39pm On May 18, 2011
Kobojunkie:

I think you ought to go back to the NIKE Sweat factory incident to understand why you cannot compare it to this in the first place. NIKE was not paying these people the legal wages. Also the people were overworked (as in working illegal hours) and not treated according to acceptable standards.

These people only claim to be overworked, but their does not seem to be any claim in the article that they work illegal hours. They are paid over the minimum wage in said country and the wages are legal.

Nothing wrong in what Coca Cola is doing here as it is well within what is legally set. This issue has little to do with Capitalism per say, and more to do with Government policies on how Businesses can treat their employees. Plus, if you have a problem with this, I say again start with Government since Government and many of our local employers(nigerian owned companies) pay their people less than $2 a day and it is still considered legal(well until the Government seeks to enforce the new minimum wage bill, which even states have confessed will be hard to meet).

I do blv and agree with you . . . . . That is why we need a govt that really cares about the welfare of the citizen.
Also, Coco Cola should be ashamed, they are making killer of a profit and paying people such useless salary? That is pathetic, but like you said, it is still within the legality of the law of Nigeria
Re: "We Are Not Slaves" -Coca-Cola Pay Nigerian Day-Workers $2.60 Per Day? by Kobojunkie: 3:05pm On May 18, 2011
Fhemmmy:

I do blv and agree with you . . . . . That is why we need a govt that really cares about the welfare of the citizen.
Also, Coco Cola should be ashamed, they are making killer of a profit and paying people such useless salary? That is pathetic, but like you said, it is still within the legality of the law of Nigeria

Well, like I keep saying, companies do not owe individuals anything except that which the Government declares, and maybe that which individuals claim at point of hire or something along those lines. These companies are not NGO's -- they have shareholders who they owe money and need to pay. So, it is up to Government to ensure that even while these companies work to take care of their obligations, they treat the communities within which they are sited paid as well. But when Government does a shoddy work at that, you cannot then move that responsibility to the companies just because.

The other mentioned sweat shops in places like thailand, indonesia, china -- all this was big news only a couple of years ago. Since then the governments in these place have not only stepped in to counter the problem but make demands on companies, as well as introduced policies to benefit both the employers and employees.
Re: "We Are Not Slaves" -Coca-Cola Pay Nigerian Day-Workers $2.60 Per Day? by Fhemmmy: 3:11pm On May 18, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Well, like I keep saying, companies do not owe individuals anything except that which the Government declares, and maybe that which individuals claim at point of hire or something along those lines. These companies are not NGO's -- they have shareholders who they owe money and need to pay. So, it is up to Government to ensure that even while these companies work to take care of their obligations, they treat the communities within which they are sited paid as well. But when Government does a shoddy work at that, you cannot then move that responsibility to the companies just because.

The other mentioned sweat shops in places like thailand, indonesia, china -- all this was big news only a couple of years ago. Since then the governments in these place have not only stepped in to counter the problem but make demands on companies, as well as introduced policies to benefit both the employers and employees.

In Agreement . . . . Do believe you and hope that the government will wake up and do something . . . . . Also, if this kinda stuff could be exposed, it will force the govt to do something . . . . cos i cant even imagine how much the staff would take home after transporting to work and eating lunch for the day.
Re: "We Are Not Slaves" -Coca-Cola Pay Nigerian Day-Workers $2.60 Per Day? by Kobojunkie: 3:16pm On May 18, 2011
Fhemmmy:

In Agreement . . . . Do believe you and hope that the government will wake up and do something . . . . . Also, if this kinda stuff could be exposed, it will force the govt to do something . . . . cos i cant even imagine how much the staff would take home after transporting to work and eating lunch for the day.

Considering the country 'allegedly' overwhelmingly handed the same set of people the keys to government for another 4 years, let's see what these people will do.
Re: "We Are Not Slaves" -Coca-Cola Pay Nigerian Day-Workers $2.60 Per Day? by Fhemmmy: 3:27pm On May 18, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Considering the country 'allegedly' overwhelmingly handed the same set of people the keys to government for another 4 years, let's see what these people will do.

I could not have agreed better and same set of people would be fighting as thugs for the folks that has hijacked their future.
I rest my case then
Re: "We Are Not Slaves" -Coca-Cola Pay Nigerian Day-Workers $2.60 Per Day? by Nobody: 3:34pm On May 18, 2011
hmmmmmm, with inflation on the rise in naija, 400naira per day is not good @all
but then again, it allowed, it the law
then again, it this same people suffering, that voted for this same government again the 4th time or so, why are they complaining? if i was the coca cola manager, i will just decrease their salary, nonsense.
the government that has no respect for human life, still rules the country, abeg, coca cola decrease their salary jare.
nigerians love poverty jo, or sack them, and employ other people self
Re: "We Are Not Slaves" -Coca-Cola Pay Nigerian Day-Workers $2.60 Per Day? by 5columnist: 3:35pm On May 18, 2011
Watching a white boy drink a cold bottle right now in protea hotle. The sweat of unpaid labour.
Re: "We Are Not Slaves" -Coca-Cola Pay Nigerian Day-Workers $2.60 Per Day? by Fhemmmy: 3:38pm On May 18, 2011
^^^Ummmm
Re: "We Are Not Slaves" -Coca-Cola Pay Nigerian Day-Workers $2.60 Per Day? by Nobody: 5:16pm On May 18, 2011
So far the person that makes the most sense on this thread is ekt_bear. The demand for Nigerian labor(especially unskilled) will not magically increase with some minimum wage law. That is what it means when their is growth in salaries;increased competition for labor. If government increases wages artificially all that is doing is making Nigerian Labor less desirable. At that point Coca Cola can just absorb the cost themselves, pass extra cost on to their customers(primarily the Nigerian ones), lay workers off or a combination thereof.

I want wages of Nigerian Labor to increase due to increased competition for it not because we vote ourselves higher wages. This is why African economies are weak. The government does not wield magical powers that fix economic woes. We put the cart before the horse when we demand better wages before we have shown why we are worth it. If we want higher wages we are going to have to worker harder(high productivity) and smarter(entrepreneurship). There is no easy and quick fix to our situation.
Re: "We Are Not Slaves" -Coca-Cola Pay Nigerian Day-Workers $2.60 Per Day? by Ismile(m): 5:22pm On May 18, 2011
One thing those guys working there did not tell you is that they are entitle to a daily meal which is even more than the pay of $2.6 they are collecting.

They are also provided with detergent for washing their uniform.

They are provided with Bus to convey them from home to work and back to their various locations

They are entitle to be treated in the clinic for minor ailment, sickness, immunization, vaccination, free medical advisories, blood pressure, sugar level etc.

And some other benefits not mentioned here.

If you add up all these benefits or using Nigeria language of monitization, you will see that it will be more than what some permanent staff are collecting in other companies with same job.

I agree that the amount looks small and needed review but, note that:

They are hired by a Labour contractor who supplied them to Coca Cola. Thus, they do not have any obligation with Cocacola but with their employer.

If they think the amount is too small, they can form a union and demand for better pay from their employer (which is the third party labour contractor). The Labour contractor will in turn discuss it over with Coca Cola and the issue will be resolved.

If they are not satisfied with the resolution, they can simply quit.

Just the little I know on this issue.
Re: "We Are Not Slaves" -Coca-Cola Pay Nigerian Day-Workers $2.60 Per Day? by Kobojunkie: 5:27pm On May 18, 2011
^^^ Thanks for that. My cousin worked there a couple of years ago and I remember he had a good time there for someone who was just a high-school leaver.

For those who don't know, Wages in Nigeria are among the lowest in the world already. The recent increases(which has yet to kick in on the most part) changes that by not much.
Re: "We Are Not Slaves" -Coca-Cola Pay Nigerian Day-Workers $2.60 Per Day? by Bawss1(m): 5:41pm On May 18, 2011
If this is a 3rd party contract thing as Ismile has indicated then the agitating workers don't have a case on Coca cola.

What the workers should do is channel their grievance to their contractor not Coca cola. The contractors are the real villains here.
Re: "We Are Not Slaves" -Coca-Cola Pay Nigerian Day-Workers $2.60 Per Day? by samm(m): 5:44pm On May 18, 2011
Kobo's view point: Government should regulate. In the absense of regulation, companies are free to do as they please.
ekt bear's view point:  No government regulation.  Companies are there to make money. The workers are not being forced to work. They can quit if they do not like the wages or organize and demand for better wages.
Fhemmmy's view point: Companies are obligated to provide a company defined "decent working condition" since government might not be quite effective in regulation companies.

All three viewpoints combined forms a responsible solution.
There should always be balanced government regulation and enforcement e.g. setting minimum wage, good working conditions etc.  A company is out to make money and is mostly obligated to it's shareholders.
In most cases, they have the upper hand when dealing with their workers and not every group can fight for themselves.  In the absence of government regulation, the workers should organize and demand better wages and working conditions.  
Other related parties: The society at large. Lawyers, human right groups, labour groups, individual citizens. We should not always be spectators when we hear about things like this.  Every member of society has a duty to push for what is right.  That is how we become better.  It might be "them" today and you or yours tomorrow. With a vigilant society, companies are forced to adopt Fhemmy's viewpoint.  We have to set standards as to what we can tolerate collectively.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Boko Haram- 'why We Attacked Kano'. Who Are These Scholars? / EFCC Holds Omokore, Diezani’s Associate / Hydro Plants Boost Electricity Generation To 3,686.3mw

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.