Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,942 members, 7,817,764 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:53 PM

Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM (36032 Views)

N10 Per Litre Sugar Tax: Nigerians To Pay More For Beverages / Coronavirus: Atiku Asks FG To Pay N10,000 To Each Household, As He Donates N50M / Senate Proposes Law To Tax Nigerians For Using Data And DSTV (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM by signz: 6:13pm On Aug 11, 2021
dominique:
It was yesterday I was pondering the sudden steep gas prices when I remembered that the gas marketers enjoyed a 2 year tax holiday. The tax holiday has since elapsed and they have to resume paying taxes which of course will reflect on the price of the product. It happens everywhere in the world. I wish they didn't have to do it now that everything else is so expensive. There's no cheaper alternative of anything in this country

Exactly!!!! This isn't the right time.

Inflation = 18%

Food Inflation = 20%

Mind you there's this report that says Nigerians spend over 56% of their Income on food alone and the report was released about 2 or 3 years ago.... Infact i don weak to type
Re: Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM by budaatum: 6:16pm On Aug 11, 2021
CamusMidas:

You guys should just shut up with this narrative already, who was going to unseat Buhari then? Atiku? Make we hear word jareh.

Lol! If you'd rather have Atiku than Buhari. Luckily for you, you just might get your wish at the next election, or worst still, get Jaguda Bullion Van.

I can assure you you won't be shutting up if/when you get either of those two.
Re: Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM by Ogbeniomo: 6:21pm On Aug 11, 2021
budaatum:

If it too is imported, I hope they do, as it would encourage local production.
Since they ban the importation of rice, chicken, tomato, to encourage local production, how are Nigerians are enjoying it now? since corruption has stop in this regime according to MANNABQGRILLER Vulture, and his father Liar mumumade and mannequin himself, how does it reflect in the life of common man?. Anyway many Nigerians are suffering and smiling.

1 Like

Re: Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM by Temptee101(m): 6:23pm On Aug 11, 2021
richidinho:
Even firewood now is expensive grin

It's not a laughing matter bro.
Re: Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM by budaatum: 6:25pm On Aug 11, 2021
Ogbeniomo:
Since they ban the importation of rice, chicken, tomato, to encourage local production, how are Nigerians are enjoying it now?

Very much indeed in fact. You should see how much Nigerian me now profits from my farm, though I feel very much for you who must now buy from me because you can not grow your own. My staff love you though because they now earn more.
Re: Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM by Temptee101(m): 6:27pm On Aug 11, 2021
Cokahot:
My gas still dey and e go last me at least 6months

6 months?

Maybe na half done you dey cook or you don't even cook at all.
Re: Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM by jacoik(m): 6:30pm On Aug 11, 2021
malel1:
Sai baba sai baba , were are u people (fools) .
GEJ will eat otueke watery beans in kuje prison , were are u people now?

Buhari never start
lolxxxxx hahahaha guy u want to shake this table wey the legs no good again abi?
Re: Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM by Temptee101(m): 6:32pm On Aug 11, 2021
peter8535:
Abeg is cylinder or cooking gas

Both.

Don't tell me you just woke up?
Re: Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM by oranget(m): 6:34pm On Aug 11, 2021
377:

My brother is not any voters fault. We where deceived with fake and bogous campaing promises thinking we got the right person not knowing we are in for long thing. All i no is one day e go end less than two years from now.
Shebi all of you think it's MNK and Sunday Igboho that should speak out, until 1kg of LPG hit 1,000 naira, so many people will not know something is wrong with Nigeria.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM by Cnach: 6:35pm On Aug 11, 2021
Jamesbiodun:
They sha want to make life hard for people but what they don't know is when people rise up against the government, there won't be anywhere for them to escape
Where are the people that will rise up against the government? Nigerians? Forget them bro
My future kids pls hold me responsible if u become citizens of any black nation.
Re: Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM by budaatum: 6:37pm On Aug 11, 2021
nedugroup:

With the way, they want to gag us. Ban twitter, gag freedom of speech, threaten you when you plan a protest and kill you if you insist, loot with reckless abandon, lie with no honour and smite you at any given opportunity. Load up loans upon us. My dear, has any past leader or government office holder been jailed for 9 months on the basis of corruption in this country before.
How would u hold them accountable when the laws of the country don't hold them accountable as along as they are in the ruling party.

We are still day dreaming and waking up is far from us.
The evidences are glaring.

I do not expect to earn my rights to a better living without it costing me I'm afraid. History has taught me that I earn my rights with the shedding of my blood and sometimes even my life so others may have those rights. It's how we got democracy, you will find. Some people shed blood and even died so that I get to vote today, which is why it is my duty to be extremely diligent in electing my leaders, so that the labours of my heroes past is not in vain.

Pity, later generations, us, have not quite been as diligent as we should have been, hence our wailing now and the need to give more of our blood and lives so our own children do not wail like we are.

May our children find it in them to forgive us if we refuse to make the necessary sacrifice so they don't wail like we are wailing, because they would see how we wailed on NL but refused to sacrifice so they don't have to, and I doubt they'd respect us for it.

3 Likes

Re: Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM by budaatum: 6:40pm On Aug 11, 2021
oranget:

Shebi all of you think it's MNK and Sunday Ignition that should speak out, until 1kg of LPG hit 1,000 naira, so many people will not know something is wrong with Nigeria.

They want MNK and Sunday Ignition lol, to be the messiah who dies for them instead of us bearing our own cross.

I bid us good luck with that. We will open our eyes when it gets much harder than it currently is, I'm sure.

3 Likes

Re: Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM by EndBuhariNow(m): 6:41pm On Aug 11, 2021
And professor Osibande will not stand up and speak of evil happening in Nigeria.. he is claiming ignorance as if he wasn't part of the bad government... all these ediots pushing the man to contest , how are you sure he won't be worst than sai Barbar
Re: Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM by proclinician: 6:44pm On Aug 11, 2021
budaatum:

Is value added tax the only tax payable? Do some countries not pay 20% vat after their income has been subjected to up to 40% tax?

Yes, I think you better explain tax, in general, to me. Explaining might help you understand better.

Let me make one thing clear to you in as much as I'm having a very difficult time knowing where to start from because you arguments are so flawed that I wonder your level of education and exposure. Let me assume you are a degree holder and you have managed to get a job with some company where they give u some appointment letter. If you manage to go through ur appointment letter you will see a breakdown of what constitutes your annual salary. First there's a basic salary followed by allowance and TAX out of which when you deduct the tax value from the gross you have your Net salary. This TAX is your own share of the tax paid by the company to the govt provided it us a registered company and your income from the registered company qualifies as a taxable income unless otherwise stated by law.

I work on fiverr as a freelance using verified a U.S seller account and I pay tax to the u.s government. Fiverr is a registered company based in the u.s which pays tax to the u.s govt. This amount is then shared among all sellers in fiverr to a certain degree which we all pay since fiverr operates on a gig economy and our income on the platform qualifies as taxable.

That said, your next argument fit be eeehh but not all Nigerians work in a registered company. Some Nigerians are jobless, just managing to survive hence do not pay tax. Others have business that are not registered hence do not pay tax.

Irrespective of how lame this line of thought sounds, I will also need to remind you that this is how it is all over the world. If you have no taxable income, you're not taxed. Person way de tax u where he want make u bring the money from? Provided you have a taxable income which is what u earn from a registered company, you pay.

Next time u get a job take time to read ur appointment letter.
Re: Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM by zombieHUNTER: 6:46pm On Aug 11, 2021
Topleague:
you dont want to pay tax on anything and you want to develop, you cant eat your cake and have it. It is time Nigeria know that they have to pay realistic price for most essential amenities, go to any developed country they live by tax. What you need is to hold your leader accountable

Re: Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM by Nauttyprof(m): 6:50pm On Aug 11, 2021
budaatum:

With Nigeria having immense amounts of gas of its own, this is a very good development, and I hope a new vat rate of 50% is what is imposed, because local production of gas is not only much cheaper, it would provide local employment too.

Why didn't the government solve the problem of local production first? We have gas in excess but they lack the knowledge on how this can be readily available for the citizens.

You should have asked the question on why there are imported LPG when we have it in abundance? Would you have coal in abundance and readily available here and still go to the neighbouring west African country to look for this?

Gas is now more expensive that it used to be thanks to the government whose aim is to inflict hardship on the masses.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM by arantess: 6:53pm On Aug 11, 2021
Topleague:
you dont want to pay tax on anything and you want to develop, you cant eat your cake and have it. It is time Nigeria know that they have to pay realistic price for most essential amenities, go to any developed country they live by tax. What you need is to hold your leader accountable
Those countries, how much is there minimum wages
Re: Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM by budaatum: 6:57pm On Aug 11, 2021
proclinician:

Let me make one thing clear to you in as much as I'm having a very difficult time knowing where to start from because you arguments are so flawed that I wonder your level of education and exposure. Let me assume you are a degree holder and you have managed to get a job with some company where they give u some appointment letter. If you manage to go through ur appointment letter you will see a breakdown of what constitutes your annual salary. First there's a basic salary followed by allowance and TAX out of which when you deduct the tax value from the gross you have your Net salary. This TAX is your own share of the tax paid by the company to the govt provided it us a registered company and your income from the registered company qualifies as a taxable income unless otherwise stated by law.

I work on fiverr as a freelance using verified a U.S seller account and I pay tax to the u.s government. Fiverr is a registered company based in the u.s which pays tax to the u.s govt. This amount is then shared among all sellers in fiverr to a certain degree which we all pay since fiverr operates on a gig economy and our income on the platform qualifies as taxable.

That said, your next argument fit be eeehh but not all Nigerians work in a registered company. Some Nigerians are jobless, just managing to survive hence do not pay tax. Others have business that are not registered hence do not pay tax.

Irrespective of how lame this line of thought sounds, I will also need to remind you that this is how it is all over the world. If you have no taxable income, you're not taxed. Person way de tax u where he want make u bring the money from? Provided you have a taxable income which is what u earn from a registered company, you pay.

Next time u get a job take time to read ur appointment letter.

See that bold? It's where you show your lack of knowledge and throw away your responsibility!

The tax you pay has nothing to do with the tax the company pays, and you don't pay a share of any companies tax!

The tax you pay is the amount deducted by the company as legislated by government. It's your money, as in money that you earned but which the company has deducted from your pay to remit as your income tax to the government, and when you realise this, that it is not your share of the tax the companies pays, you might start asking the government to be more accountable to you as to how your tax money is spent!

Do know that after the company deducts tax from your gross income on behalf of government, you also get to pay vat out of your net. It would help you work out how much of your income government takes from you, and perhaps awaken you to how accountable you ought to make government be to you too.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM by shadeyinka(m): 7:02pm On Aug 11, 2021
Islie:
Unfortunate Buhari regime reimposed cooking gas tax, Nigerians to pay N10,000: Marketers

https://gazettengr.com/unfortunate-buhari-regime-reimposed-cooking-gas-tax-nigerians-to-pay-n10000-marketers/
Our darling daddy is making life comfortable for every Nigerians and since grilling vultures need charcoal and not gas, the BMC are happy.

Mr and Miss NLPoliceWoman, don't you see that the the BMC should call their daddy to order?
Re: Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM by Ovis1302(m): 7:10pm On Aug 11, 2021
I think our taxation system is anti-Nigerians.
And we are not getting value for the numerous VATs levelled on us.
Wetin man do man sef?
Re: Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM by budaatum: 7:12pm On Aug 11, 2021
Nauttyprof:

Why didn't the government solve the problem of local production first? We have gas in excess but they lack the knowledge on how this can be readily available for the citizens.

You should have asked the question on why there are imported LPG when we have it in abundance? Would you have coal in abundance and readily available here and still go to the neighbouring west African country to look for this?

Gas is now more expensive that it used to be thanks to the government whose aim is to inflict hardship on the masses.

It is not government that will solve the problem of local production for you! Government will not grow rice for you, nor will government pump gas for you!

All government can do is provide an environment for you to want to do those things for yourself by banning imports, for instance, so I can charge you more for my local rice which will incentivise me to plant more to sell to you and earn more. Same with vat on imported gas which will make imported more expensive and make you buy my cheaper local gas.

I mean, you don't expect me to labour on my farm or pump my gas because of my love for you, right, but because of the profit I intend to make.

Prof, do you expect me to labour in charity on your behalf so that you do not starve? If so, wake up please because there is absolutely no reason for me to love you that much!

As for why imported is more expensive, the reason is because we are too lazy to grow our own and import instead. If I grow my local own, it may seem more expensive for you the buyer, but the economy benefits because I'd be paying wages to those who help me produce which increases gdp and benefits society in general since my employees will spend locally, and I'd be paying local taxes which would benefit schools and hospitals and roads etc.

3 Likes

Re: Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM by stieyven(m): 7:16pm On Aug 11, 2021
malel1:

Buhari never start
He who calls another a fool shall be in danger of hell. Matthew 5 :22
Remember that you shall be judged by every idle word you speak. Matthew 12 :36
You'll do well to receive Jesus into your life. Tomorrow may be too late. John 3 :16

2 Likes

Re: Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM by proclinician: 7:16pm On Aug 11, 2021
budaatum:

See that bold? It's where you show your lack of knowledge and throw away your responsibility!

The tax you pay has nothing to do with the tax the company pays, and you don't pay a share of any companies tax!

The tax you pay is the amount deducted by the company as legislated by government. It's your money, as in money that you earned but which the company has deducted from your pay to remit as your income tax to the government, and when you realise this, that it is not your share of the tax the companies pays, you might start asking the government to be more accountable to you as to how your tax money is spent!

Do know that after the company deducts tax from your gross income on behalf of government, you also get to pay vat out of your net. It would help you work out how much of your income government takes from you, and perhaps awaken you to how accountable you ought to make government be to you too.

Lol hail Mary. So do Nigerians pay tax now or not?

Nigerian yoots
Re: Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM by LagbajaTheBEREAN: 7:16pm On Aug 11, 2021
This is a country that has over 600TCF of gas. We have proven reserves of 206TCF,” Mr Auwalu pointed out. “If you allow LPG to be imported without any restriction, it means you are not giving opportunity for upstream investors that will drill and get this gas.”

Sadly, this the true situation of things made in Nigeria products are jettison for foreign goods and the so called government that should think and break that jinx keep up with the shameless circle.
Re: Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM by Reuben28(m): 7:17pm On Aug 11, 2021
They are just making life difficult for an average Nigerian.So pathetic.
Re: Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM by Reinventerd: 7:17pm On Aug 11, 2021
dang
Re: Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM by TalkingBird: 7:17pm On Aug 11, 2021
malel1:

Buhari never start

It will be more difficult man.

It is usually difficult for humans to do the needful to be forgiven and that is to collectively say we are sorry and move.

They also will not realize that no man can solve human problems and until man is made to swallow his pride.
Re: Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM by budaatum: 7:20pm On Aug 11, 2021
proclinician:

Lol hail Mary. So do Nigerians pay tax now or not?

Nigerian yoots

I'm sure you'd note I said we do not pay enough, which is why we fail to hold those who spend it accountable.

Go check how much tax paid for our last budget and you might understand how much more we'd have to pay if all the budget expenditure was from taxation.

When oil dries up, I assure you you'd understand.

budaatum:

Is value added tax the only tax payable? Do some countries not pay 20% vat after their income has been subjected to up to 40% tax?

Yes, I think you better explain tax, in general, to me. Explaining might help you understand better.

3 Likes

Re: Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM by wildernessVoice: 7:22pm On Aug 11, 2021
Keeo sef na 340 per litre in my Area
Re: Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM by budaatum: 7:24pm On Aug 11, 2021
LagbajaTheBEREAN:
This is a country that has over 600TCF of gas. We have proven reserves of 206TCF,” Mr Auwalu pointed out. “If you allow LPG to be imported without any restriction, it means you are not giving opportunity for upstream investors that will drill and get this gas.”

Sadly, this the true situation of things made in Nigeria products are jettison for foreign goods and the so called government that should think and break that jinx keep up with the shameless circle.

Thank you sir. People fail to understand that by importing you export employment too, so there'll be fewer local jobs, and then my fellow Nigerians will wail that they can't find employment without realising we are the one's misdoing ourselves!

4 Likes

Re: Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM by oranget(m): 7:25pm On Aug 11, 2021
budaatum:

They want MNK and Sunday Ignition lol, to be the messiah who dies for them instead of us bearing our own cross.

I bid us good luck with that. We will open our eyes when it gets much harder than it currently is, I'm sure.
grin
Re: Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM by Nobody: 7:33pm On Aug 11, 2021
Topleague:
What happened to the ones that have been paid in the past? What happened to all the monies generous countries have given us?
Instead of improving the means of the country's production in all areas they are doing construction projects so as to loot the money.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

10 Policemen Injured In Ibadan, Their AK-47 Rifles Seized By Oyo Park Managers / Why Former US President Bill Clinton Is Visiting Buhari, Atiku / APC Considers North For Senate President, South For Speaker

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.