Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,778 members, 7,817,211 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:15 AM

Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM (36031 Views)

N10 Per Litre Sugar Tax: Nigerians To Pay More For Beverages / Coronavirus: Atiku Asks FG To Pay N10,000 To Each Household, As He Donates N50M / Senate Proposes Law To Tax Nigerians For Using Data And DSTV (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM by fashrola(m): 12:26am On Aug 12, 2021
Three days ago an LPG tanker came to load LPG at Escravos, Million tonnes of LPG was loaded to be taken out of the country, Yet Nigeria a country so blessed with natural resources keeps importing refined LPG for domestic uses while we are sitting on these natural resources in our country..... Sometimes I weep for next generation because these old thieves in power gonna finish up the country for them..

Keep shouting sai Buhari and supporting this evil regime.... Sha wetin concern me cheesy before 30k BMC cretins go come talk say dem fit feed me and my family for one year hahahahaha

3 Likes

Re: Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM by Wordoftruth: 5:52am On Aug 12, 2021
If buhari and apshit no kill us b4 2023 I doubt anyone can.
Re: Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM by BennyDGreat: 6:10am On Aug 12, 2021
Beancounter94:

Most of the good amenities in developed countries come from the high taxes, and high bills they pay.

I know one doctor who refused to japa to the UK, because in the UK, his taxes will eat half his salary.

When I hear Nigerians saying that the government should provide good amenities, before they pay high taxes, I laugh. All the good amenities in foreign countries...were paid for by high taxes and by high bills on the populace. Abroad, fuel production works because people pay for petrol at market price, not subsidised price. Water bills are very high, electricity bills can be high and all the roads are tolled...plus there are things like congestion charge.

We don't have good things in Nigeria because our economy is dependent on oil...whose price we no control and whose price is rarely at a level that would sustain all of us...Meanwhile, our tax to gdp ratio is 6.1%, we tax 30% of the population, and leave the rest free...and we subsidize petrol and power...so much that the companies there cannot make profits to build new refinereis and power stations, and exisitng ones are bad because they have been run at a loss.

Serious countries with all the anemities pay taxes at rates of 46-51%, and also have much higher tax to gdp ratios. And their gdps are higher than Nigeria.

What makes me annoyed about Nigerians is that you guys expect a Ferrari at the cost of a toyota. You don't want to do the hard work of building a working economy, nor do you want to do the hard work of putting pressure on your politicians. Most of you just want your side in power so that you can get crumbs from the table...APC or PDP.

And no, I do not support Buhari, nor do I support PDP, or any party. I just know that the cold reality is Nigeria is a poor and broke country, and the stealing that happens on top makes it worse.

Imagine paying 46-51% tax and then it gets embezzled with nothing to show for it.
You don't seem to live in Nigeria.

The politicians will never allow some group of people rise against them in any way.
They pay more attention now and very ruthless in dealing with any antagonistic attempt.
Re: Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM by Nobody: 6:15am On Aug 12, 2021
BennyDGreat:

Imagine paying 46-51% tax and then it gets embezzled with nothing to show for it.
You don't seem to live in Nigeria.

The politicians will never allow some group of people rise against them in any way.
They pay more attention now and very ruthless in dealing with any antagonistic attempt.

1.Well we don't pay 46-51% tax. More like 0-24%..plus if you earn below a certain income you pay nothing.

2.It may be a good idea...may make most people start paying attention to our government , and them politicans. May also reduce our dependence on borrowing.

Plus there are only so many people that can be killed.

Besides, developed countries got developed because people were ready, sometimes at the cost of their lives, to work for better governance.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM by ivandragon: 6:26am On Aug 12, 2021
A lot of people argue blindly just to support this disaster of an administration.

They think government should just tax anyhow.

A government that makes noise about environmental protection is driving people back to using 'dirty fuels'.

The FG should have provided incentives to potential investors in the Gas sector to invest locally.

The dumbest position of pmb's supporters is saying Nigerians need to be taxed more. The issue should not be taxing people more, it should be increasing the number of tax payers.

1 Like

Re: Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM by kolaaderin: 6:30am On Aug 12, 2021
dominique:
It was yesterday I was pondering the sudden steep gas prices when I remembered that the gas marketers enjoyed a 2 year tax holiday. The tax holiday has since elapsed and they have to resume paying taxes which of course will reflect on the price of the product. It happens everywhere in the world. I wish they didn't have to do it now that everything else is so expensive. There's no cheaper alternative of anything in this country
We are our own problem, tax holiday was giving for the importers to invest in local production of LPG, but no they we prefer to import and never develop what we have in excess locally. The tax is returning on imported LPG the local producer will now enjoy the benefit of producing locally, this could further discourage the importation.
Government policy may feel ash at times, but trust is almost always for the benefit of Nigerians in the long run, but we in this part of the world are just to quick in blaming government on everything.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM by kolaaderin: 6:33am On Aug 12, 2021
budaatum:

With Nigeria having immense amounts of gas of its own, this is a very good development, and I hope a new vat rate of 50% is what is imposed, because local production of gas is not only much cheaper, it would provide local employment too.
Thank you. Tax is on imported Gas, the local producer are not been taxed. The wailers are dancing already.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM by kolaaderin: 6:48am On Aug 12, 2021
Akwamkpuruamu:

And you think that local production of gas to meet daily domestic demands happens overnight abj
But Nigerian will not stop importation is it's not discouraged. We so much prefers buying and selling without adding any value. We want a better Nigeria, tax the importers and the local production will gain more and expand quickly. If not the importers will kill the local producers. We lose employment to other countries when you import such product just because a man want quick profit from importation without adding any value to the product been sold locally.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM by Kayharry(m): 6:57am On Aug 12, 2021
Where is that guy that makes bio gas from soak away i need his contact abeg. Jingriti free gas limited.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM by TommyGs(m): 8:12am On Aug 12, 2021
377:

This is the reason Nigerians have to hold their leaders accountable for the taxes collected. The developed countries spend the money for the development of the country and the provision of basic and essential amenities for the people.
If there is a has leak in where I live, it will only take up to 30 minutes for the gas company to send their staff to investigate and fix it. It will take not more than 10 minutes for the police to show up if there's a brawl.

you dont write for writing sake. Can you compare the standard of living in those places to here in nigeria you no the poverty and unemployment rate in this country can you compare them with your so called developed country, please be guided
Re: Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM by federal9: 8:23am On Aug 12, 2021
Jamesbiodun:
They sha want to make life hard for people but what they don't know is when people rise up against the government, there won't be anywhere for them to escape

The thing here is that many Nigerians are fools. They had the chance to make changes, but out of greed, they are still where they are today.

The strategy is to make the masses poor so that during those periods of hardship, they have no other person to ask for help rather than them. When election is coming closer, they get bribed ( who would not want to collect bribe after facing hardship in years), with that strategy, victory is assured.

The only way to elect a good leader is through E-voting. Why is it that when it comes to online pool, the best is always winning, but in the real, it is something else.

I just want to leave this country for a better country. Tired of the president, armed forces, and some Nigerians as a whole.

1 Like

Re: Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM by Ovamboland(m): 9:08am On Aug 12, 2021
Oga NALPAGAM, go and invest in gas plant to produce LPG from our gas currently flared away?
Why leave yams on our farm to rot away and be importing pounded yam from other countries? Do they have 2 heads?

Call your members together, raise the finance to Build your own plant to avoid 7.5% VAT so we can also create local jobs, experience and have less gas flaring.

Enough of container economy that has continued to kill our currency and importing unemployment.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM by Ovamboland(m): 9:40am On Aug 12, 2021
dominique:
It was yesterday I was pondering the sudden steep gas prices when I remembered that the gas marketers enjoyed a 2 year tax holiday. The tax holiday has since elapsed and they have to resume paying taxes which of course will reflect on the price of the product. It happens everywhere in the world. I wish they didn't have to do it now that everything else is so expensive. There's no cheaper alternative of anything in this country

So the marketers were sleeping and enjoying the tax holiday, they didn't prepare for end of holiday.

Holiday na forever, e no dey finish?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM by Ovamboland(m): 9:57am On Aug 12, 2021
377:

you dont write for writing sake. Can you compare the standard of living in those places to here in nigeria you no the poverty and unemployment rate in this country can you compare them with your so called developed country, please be guided

Is standard of living in Ghana, Niger, Benin, Liberia etc better than Nigeria where they pay 400 naira equivalent for fuel and probably higher prices for cooking gas? If imported gas cost 1000 the VAT on it is 75 naira. Is the current increase just about 75 naira?

If you paid 4000 before and now there is VAT you pay 4,300 is that why markets sell for 5500 or 6000 for 12.5kg?
If govt withdraw VAT at best you pay 5,600 instead of 6000

2 Likes

Re: Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM by budaatum: 10:21am On Aug 12, 2021
Collinsanele:

They live by taxes, yes!
But tell me how their standard of living and their economy is.
Tell me how their employment stats is.
Can you compare their social amenities with ours.
Can you compare their life expectancy with ours.
I don't mean to sound abrasive but please think.
You may not be affected but many are dying due to economic hardship.
Ideas not money liberate a nation - Philip Emagwali

All these ideas you mention, including a reduction in dying, were bought with tax!

Read below how a certain country taxed the windows in homes!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window_tax#%3A%7E%3Atext%3DWindow_tax_was_a_property%2Cof_windows_in_a_house.%26text%3DTo_avoid_the_tax%2C_some%2C155_years_later%2C_in_1851.?wprov=sfla1

2 Likes

Re: Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM by budaatum: 10:40am On Aug 12, 2021
LikeAking:

Why The Nigerian Manufacturing Industry Of The 80's Crashed

The reason is simple, cheap goods from China. Cheap goods from China crashed manufacturing across the globe. Some people have been blaming the dead beat govt, but the honest truth is our importers flooded the market with cheap Chinese good.

These cheap Chinese good have helped many Nigerian buy certain commodities that were big deals back them.

Its obvious made in Nigeria goods are too expensive for Nigerian, so what ever product we are manufacturing in Nigeria should have the Nigerian price "Cheap" attached to it.

We have to make sure we are not over charging our people in the Name of manufacturing.

Please drop your own opinion.
Re: Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM by Ovamboland(m): 10:49am On Aug 12, 2021
iLegendd:

We want to pay tax, but there is no transparency in how the money is being spent.

If you can't trust your leaders with all the free trillions from oil, how can you trust them with money from tax? A country without a functional law shouldn't ask for tax.

If you squander the school fees your dad gave you on women, there is a high chance you'll spend the ones your mom added as extra you on drinks.

See citizen of a country who is not ready to perform any duty but looking for food is ready.
The sequence is you pay your tax and ask for how it is spent, no sane person will campaign that taxes should not be paid. Why should Nigeria be subsidizing foreign production if we are intent on having or encouraging local production? Local production is already free of tax meaning we are incentivizing local producers. You are asking we subsize foreign production when we desperately need to transit to local production, that's lack of seriousness

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM by Ovamboland(m): 10:54am On Aug 12, 2021
proclinician:

Are you of the opinion that Nigerians don't pay tax abi wetin? What sort of persons with no touch of reality una be self? Just existing as zombies? Wetin de happen

Nigeria tax 6% of GDP, Ghana 16%, Egypt 25%, South Africa 29%.

You can see the relationship in economic advancement with increased tax collection rate, you're free to cling to your poverty club and bring leaders that will cancel taxation and keep you tied forever in the poverty club

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM by Ovamboland(m): 11:00am On Aug 12, 2021
blaise26abj:

Whatever they hoped to gain by removing the vat will be lost and government will lose more . People will revert back to kerosene and firewood . Anything to reduce cost .
If the government is serious , they should give new investors in local gas some tax breaks or equipment importation duty waivers . Let the local production reach a reasonable point of sustaining a part of our LPG demand then the country can return the taxes .

Already LPG production will increase with the ongoing expansion of NLNG train 7+ project by 8m tons capacity. Dangote refinery will throw in his own LPG production to the market and will avoid VAT. Some modular refineries and gas plants under construction will also benefit. Let those importers be crying and not find another way to invest in plants for long term business instead of mere trading.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM by budaatum: 11:03am On Aug 12, 2021
Ovamboland:

Nigeria tax 6% of GDP, Ghana 16%, Egypt 25%, South Africa 29%.

You can see the relationship in economic advancement with increased tax collection rate, you're free to cling to your poverty club and bring leaders that will cancel taxation and keep you tied forever in the poverty club

You are most highly appreciated! If I could, I'd pay you, but a wise person like you would likely not need me to.

Thank you very much for your wisdom.

3 Likes

Re: Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM by Ovamboland(m): 11:04am On Aug 12, 2021
babatee90:
most of us are in developed countries, you are right we pay tax but they inturn provide basic and social amenities to their citizens…Nigerians pay electricity bills but live in Darkness…they are being taxed on their monthly salaries but yet die from road accidents due to bad roads…so what essential amenities are you talking about?

Which one came first in developed countries taxation system or the infrastructure and amenities you found there when you arrived?
Re: Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM by iLegendd(m): 11:04am On Aug 12, 2021
Re: Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM by Ovamboland(m): 11:08am On Aug 12, 2021
blaise26abj:

Someone once said that when Nigeria truly starts paying taxes , that is when all hell will be let loose in Nigeria . Most people survive without paying taxes directly hence the general notion that it is oil money (not my money) they are stealing . However when you remove money directly from Nigerians , then accountability will be demanded in full force .

Imagine labourer collects 2500 per day and he has to pay 300 naira out of it to government and he hears that someone stole it , then the person should be ready to meet his maker . Multiply that 1 person by 60 percent of Nigerians living below poverty line .

This is what we've been shouting since that those leaders who don't bother about taxation want to steal oil money in peace.
Sometimes you can't tell what is in your best interest, like surgery if you focus on the initial pain.

2 Likes

Re: Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM by Ovamboland(m): 11:23am On Aug 12, 2021
Beancounter94:

The problem is that Nigerians have a flawed way of seeing how the economy works.

The idea is that we sell whatever raw material we have, and share the money.

But the problem with that model is 1) it stopped working in the 1970's 2) even if we split the country, not one region would be able to keep that model 3)the prices of whatever we sell are not controlled by us.

Nigeria taxes about 30% of the taxable population, with a tax to gdp ratio lower than that of Niger republic.

But telling people to face that reality gets you labelled a Buhari supporter. When we faced the same problem long before Buhari came.

Truth and fact is very bitter that's why you find many ignorant people here cursing their existence and wishing death on whoever attempts to school them. But all that doesn't change reality on ground.

We've been adding 7m people every year to our population, about 3 times population of UAE citizens, and we expect one commodity with unstable prices will continue to meet our demand to import everything. If we don't domesticate local production now and endure little discomfort, we are heading for doom and disaster Venezuela type.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM by Ovamboland(m): 11:28am On Aug 12, 2021
QueenVaji:

ur very very stupid..we Nigerians have always been paying the more taxes than anywhere in the world with nothing to show for it...pls shut ur mouth u sound like an illiterate

Evidence to support this blatant lie?
Re: Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM by Ovamboland(m): 12:10pm On Aug 12, 2021
proclinician:

Let me make one thing clear to you in as much as I'm having a very difficult time knowing where to start from because you arguments are so flawed that I wonder your level of education and exposure. Let me assume you are a degree holder and you have managed to get a job with some company where they give u some appointment letter. If you manage to go through ur appointment letter you will see a breakdown of what constitutes your annual salary. First there's a basic salary followed by allowance and TAX out of which when you deduct the tax value from the gross you have your Net salary. This TAX is your own share of the tax paid by the company to the govt provided it us a registered company and your income from the registered company qualifies as a taxable income unless otherwise stated by law.

I work on fiverr as a freelance using verified a U.S seller account and I pay tax to the u.s government. Fiverr is a registered company based in the u.s which pays tax to the u.s govt. This amount is then shared among all sellers in fiverr to a certain degree which we all pay since fiverr operates on a gig economy and our income on the platform qualifies as taxable.

That said, your next argument fit be eeehh but not all Nigerians work in a registered company. Some Nigerians are jobless, just managing to survive hence do not pay tax. Others have business that are not registered hence do not pay tax.

Irrespective of how lame this line of thought sounds, I will also need to remind you that this is how it is all over the world. If you have no taxable income, you're not taxed. Person way de tax u where he want make u bring the money from? Provided you have a taxable income which is what u earn from a registered company, you pay.

Next time u get a job take time to read ur appointment letter.

Only 13% of Nigerian working population formal+informal are registered for taxation, meaning 87% are already outside the tax net. Out of the 13% many don't bother to remit and nothing happens to them as most state govt don't care as long as FAAC gives monthly share.
Out of the 13% registered earners are mega business men like Atiku who make billions a year but paid a personal income tax of mere 10m in 3 years just about what a mid level banker also pays. Some earns millions under the radar as transporters, fish farmers, traders in full containers etc turnover billions but have no TIN number, hence pay zero income tax. Their business or sales account is via personal bank account. A whole lot of mess out there.
Re: Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM by Ovamboland(m): 12:22pm On Aug 12, 2021
Nauttyprof:

Why didn't the government solve the problem of local production first? We have gas in excess but they lack the knowledge on how this can be readily available for the citizens.

You should have asked the question on why there are imported LPG when we have it in abundance? Would you have coal in abundance and readily available here and still go to the neighbouring west African country to look for this?

Gas is now more expensive that it used to be thanks to the government whose aim is to inflict hardship on the masses.

So it is now government responsibility to build LPG plants no longer about creating enabling environment to favour local production? Is govt no longer incompetent to run business?

2 Likes

Re: Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM by Brian47(m): 12:25pm On Aug 12, 2021
Thunder fire buhari
Stoopid man
Re: Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM by Ovamboland(m): 12:30pm On Aug 12, 2021
budaatum:

It is not government that will solve the problem of local production for you! Government will not grow rice for you, nor will government pump gas for you!

All government can do is provide an environment for you to want to do those things for yourself by banning imports, for instance, so I can charge you more for my local rice which will incentivise me to plant more to sell to you and earn more. Same with vat on imported gas which will make imported more expensive and make you buy my cheaper local gas.

I mean, you don't expect me to labour on my farm or pump my gas because of my love for you, right, but because of the profit I intend to make.

Prof, do you expect me to labour in charity on your behalf so that you do not starve? If so, wake up please because there is absolutely no reason for me to love you that much!

As for why imported is more expensive, the reason is because we are too lazy to grow our own and import instead. If I grow my local own, it may seem more expensive for you the buyer, but the economy benefits because I'd be paying wages to those who help me produce which increases gdp and benefits society in general since my employees will spend locally, and I'd be paying local taxes which would benefit schools and hospitals and roads etc.

There are still people in Nigeria who don't follow the herd just because that's the general mentality and popular opinion? There's still hope for Nigeria.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM by Ovamboland(m): 12:40pm On Aug 12, 2021
Nauttyprof:

Not the government who will solve local gas? Did you just type this?

Maybe I should ask you who own all Natural gas found within the country. Citizens? It seems to me that you probably want to be on the side of the government deliberately.

Natural gas, mineral resources and crude oil are all owned by the government.

So, tell me again if the government isn't the problem.

Private investors are already building refinery and gas plants to produce LPG for sale tax free, while traders who just put margin and sell are wailing as they will lose market share.

2 years tax holiday was given to LPG importers to make plans to invest in local production, rather than wail, smart people took the risk to invest in local production many now expect govt to shift the goal post so investors can complain of policy inconsistency?

No way, let's use our policies to get to where we need to be, not enjoy now and suffer later. We need the local investment, the jobs, the experience and the service companies that will spring up due to local production.

2 Likes

Re: Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM by Ovamboland(m): 12:43pm On Aug 12, 2021
Minjim:

Some of us have already paid the taxes. I pay tax monthly and also pay VAT.
Now, what have they done with those taxes?
You have to show us what you've done if you want us to pay more

Only 13% of workers are registered to pay tax, 87% pocket their own and clogg up the little infrastructure provided with your tax making it inadequate on the long run.
Let's have like 80-90% tax compliance then we will know how far.
Re: Cooking Gas Tax: Nigerians To Pay N10,000 - NALPGAM by Ovamboland(m): 12:46pm On Aug 12, 2021
budaatum:

Unfortunately, you don't make them show you what they do with the tax you already pay, and when they tax you more you'd very likely just pay it.

Trust me. They love the fact that you don't make them show you what they do with the tax you pay monthly.

Hopefully, it will be a consideration of yours and many of us at the next election where we make the tax we pay monthly and also VAT more of an issue than the ethnicity or tribe or religion of those who ask us to elect them.

Most of them are still more concerned about whether it it the turn of the South or if it should be SW or SE and not north again.

They careless about what the policy direction of the north or south person will be.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Oyo Jailbreak: Names And Pictures Of Escapees / Wike Smiles As He Walks With Tinubu After Tinubu's Visit To His Residence / 10 Policemen Injured In Ibadan, Their AK-47 Rifles Seized By Oyo Park Managers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.