Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,242 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:47 AM

Dilemma: Advise From Experienced Bankers Needed - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Dilemma: Advise From Experienced Bankers Needed (14562 Views)

My Dilemma As Contract Staff In A Bank / How Much Do Bankers Earn In Nigeria? / Nine Things Nigerian Bankers Hate About Their Jobs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dilemma: Advise From Experienced Bankers Needed by dingbang(m): 5:08pm On Aug 13, 2021
Stay in abuja..
Re: Dilemma: Advise From Experienced Bankers Needed by Aringon(m): 5:09pm On Aug 13, 2021
Oga go and pray

san316:
I currently work in one of the Third Generation Banks as a full staff. Currently I am on the second level in the sales department, salary is good, being considered for promotion which hasn't come in a while, based in Abuja with family and all.

Got an offer with a better 3rd generation bank. next level in a different department, higher pay but will have to relocate to Kaduna. Report directly to a Group Head, will have a dedicated car but greater responsibility.

The current place is like my comfort zone, I'm well known and I've been here for Seven years.

Please advice whether to move or not.
Re: Dilemma: Advise From Experienced Bankers Needed by ojuolu(m): 5:10pm On Aug 13, 2021
san316:
I currently work in one of the Third Generation Banks as a full staff. Currently I am on the second level in the sales department, salary is good, being considered for promotion which hasn't come in a while, based in Abuja with family and all.

Got an offer with a better 3rd generation bank. next level in a different department, higher pay but will have to relocate to Kaduna. Report directly to a Group Head, will have a dedicated car but greater responsibility.
I have 13 years experience by God's grace. The simple answer is Pray and move.

The current place is like my comfort zone, I'm well known and I've been here for Seven years.

Re: Dilemma: Advise From Experienced Bankers Needed by jahsharon: 5:10pm On Aug 13, 2021
So you are afraid of your own progress
Re: Dilemma: Advise From Experienced Bankers Needed by mfm04622: 5:11pm On Aug 13, 2021
san316:

The best way to grow in the banking industry is to move about! 7 years in a bank is too long! Leave your comfort zone and fly

5 Likes

Re: Dilemma: Advise From Experienced Bankers Needed by alphaconde(m): 5:13pm On Aug 13, 2021
in banking u keep moving

u can even come back after a while to ur current bank and get a better grade

2 Likes

Re: Dilemma: Advise From Experienced Bankers Needed by ojuolu(m): 5:13pm On Aug 13, 2021
Trust me, your comfort zone is where you don't wanna be in banking. Please pray and move.

2 Likes

Re: Dilemma: Advise From Experienced Bankers Needed by mfm04622: 5:13pm On Aug 13, 2021
mechanics:
Stay in Abuja for security reasons.

What kind of useless advice is this? Do you live in Kaduna? Yet, you are crying of security! When was the last time you came to Kaduna?
Re: Dilemma: Advise From Experienced Bankers Needed by mechanics(m): 5:15pm On Aug 13, 2021
mfm04622:

What kind of useless advice is this? Do you live in Kaduna? Yet, you are crying of security! When was the last time you came to Kaduna?
why is it paining you I said that, he must not follow my opinion, and not a must.
Re: Dilemma: Advise From Experienced Bankers Needed by Aurelius1(m): 5:16pm On Aug 13, 2021
motymop:
From abj to Kaduna is just 3 to 4 hours. Take the new offer.

Kaduna is safe and cheap. Dont let people who haven't leave their streets deceive you.

If you want opportunity and career growth, you need to be able to change location all the time. That is how it is.

Your family can be in abj and you can visit them on weekends or you could move with your family if you want.

Your work load will be reduced and you might also be reporting to abj headquarters sometimes.

Take up the new opportunity.
Bad advice. Op if you decide to take up the offer, make sure you relocate with your family.Because of the security ish in Kaduna I would have advised you to forget the job. All the same , just follow your heart.
Re: Dilemma: Advise From Experienced Bankers Needed by Halle000: 5:16pm On Aug 13, 2021
'I Will Go With Jesus To Any Length'—Borno Christians Chant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2BtUg1j11w
Re: Dilemma: Advise From Experienced Bankers Needed by Thomanad(m): 5:17pm On Aug 13, 2021
motymop:
From abj to Kaduna is just 3 to 4 hours. Take the new offer.

Kaduna is safe and cheap. Dont let people who haven't leave their streets deceive you.

If you want opportunity and career growth, you need to be able to change location all the time. That is how it is.

Your family can be in abj and you can visit them on weekends or you could move with your family if you want.

Your work load will be reduced and you might also be reporting to abj headquarters sometimes.

Take up the new opportunity.

OP just follow this advice.
Don't let those who don't know shit about Kaduna put fear in your mind.
See this as an opportunity to improve in your career, since you're being given more responsibilities. This shows growth.
And moreover if you continue to stay in your comfort zone, you'll get too comfortable and you wouldn't know what you're missing.
Kaduna to Abuja is just about 2hrs sef

2 Likes

Re: Dilemma: Advise From Experienced Bankers Needed by Goldiness: 5:18pm On Aug 13, 2021
Weigh your options carefully, check were your long term gains are and use your head to make your choice to your advantage. The place you are is it better, on the long run what have you gained so far, what will you gain so far staying back. On the other hand were you are going to is it better for you, what do you stand to gain many more year to come.....? Check all favourable options and work with it. You are in a better position to decide your Advantage.
Re: Dilemma: Advise From Experienced Bankers Needed by invectives(m): 5:18pm On Aug 13, 2021
san316:

Take the kaduna job,get that next level,work a year or more then put application back in your former place...who knows,you can get that next level back in your comfort Zone.

1 Like

Re: Dilemma: Advise From Experienced Bankers Needed by donPhill(m): 5:19pm On Aug 13, 2021
san316:

OP I Don find teller work for bank tire, help a a brother in need, hunger de oo
Re: Dilemma: Advise From Experienced Bankers Needed by Meteng: 5:20pm On Aug 13, 2021
Kaduna Ke? No try am o. Dey where you dey. Nothing more important that safety
Re: Dilemma: Advise From Experienced Bankers Needed by Splashme: 5:22pm On Aug 13, 2021
Stay in Abuja
Re: Dilemma: Advise From Experienced Bankers Needed by oluwafemiabioye(f): 5:23pm On Aug 13, 2021
First congratulations sir, note its not the whole of Kaduna that is unsecured talking from the angle of a person who has spent more than 25yrs in KD. Although I have no knowledge of banking but I do love challenges.

ultimately I will tell you to pray about it to God for guidance. congratulations once more Sir.
Re: Dilemma: Advise From Experienced Bankers Needed by AFONAMARO: 5:27pm On Aug 13, 2021
FairlyUSEDpussy:
Well........aint an experience banker but then i will tell u to leave your comfort place and take challenges.........that had make u gain garner experiences...........

You shouldn't be asking this question, you should have resumed in Kaduna since last year.

The fastest way of growing in banking, is by moving from one good bank to another. Often, this movement comes with promotion (the next level), better pay, exposure and contacts. In all, growth!
And you are better positioned since you'd be working with the Group Head. This means, steady growth and advancement (promotion every 2 years), talking from experience.

Grab this opportunity and never look back, provided the third generation bank is not among those struggling to survive

Modified:

Sorry, you were quoted in error, was to quote the OP

1 Like

Re: Dilemma: Advise From Experienced Bankers Needed by AFONAMARO: 5:28pm On Aug 13, 2021
san316:

You shouldn't be asking this question, you should have resumed in Kaduna since last year.

The fastest way of growing in banking, is by moving from one good bank to another. Often, this movement comes with promotion (the next level), better pay, exposure and contacts. In all, growth!
And you are better positioned since you'd be working with the Group Head. This means, steady growth and advancement (promotion every 2 years), talking from experience.

Grab this opportunity and never look back, provided the third generation bank is not among those struggling to survive
Re: Dilemma: Advise From Experienced Bankers Needed by vereefy: 5:29pm On Aug 13, 2021
Talk to a team lead or someone with negotiating powers about the offer you have. You might get a better offer from where you currently work. If not, I'd advice you to move as that's the fastest way to climb the ladder in the banking industry.
Re: Dilemma: Advise From Experienced Bankers Needed by Openpeace: 5:31pm On Aug 13, 2021
san316:

If you're not married please take the offer move and enrol into an MBA program in Zaria ensure you finish it before 3years time and see yourself become a potential Division Head.

Better still there's NEXFORD ONLINE, MBA, which is also acceptable and they're gaining more grounds now.

But if you're married consult your wife about the relocationg issue.

Remember why you applied in the first place it's not for you to chicken out.

Remember to also keep building your clients base, you'll be getting extra points in terms of appraisal.

1 Like

Re: Dilemma: Advise From Experienced Bankers Needed by HabaHaba: 5:33pm On Aug 13, 2021
san316:

Bros, GRAB the offer fast!!!

1. If you crosscarpet or port you can never grow in the banking industry.

2. If its a newer bank, better for you, that assures faster growth dlr you. The levels are already filled in the old established banks.
3. No need to be in a comfort zone, experience would help you develop new relationships and grow your customer base.
Basically, your management would give you at least 1 year before confirmation, and nothing would happen even if you did not meet targets.
Sales is time based, they would give you more chances.

By the way, never forget LAST IN, FIRST OUT MANTRA in the banking sector.
Cheers, wish you a progressive career in your bank
Re: Dilemma: Advise From Experienced Bankers Needed by Nwaotu10(m): 5:34pm On Aug 13, 2021
You better stay in Abj bro
Re: Dilemma: Advise From Experienced Bankers Needed by muykem: 5:34pm On Aug 13, 2021
I am ex-banker. You need God guidance to take an informed decision in the Banking sector. Assuming you give the names of the banks and new role, I would have been able to advise to some extent.
Re: Dilemma: Advise From Experienced Bankers Needed by ppogba: 5:35pm On Aug 13, 2021
Life is all about taking risk.
Staying put where you are is a risk.
Taking the new offer is also a risk.
Life expectancy in the banking sector is short.
Go for the new offer and save like a mad man.
Whatever you save today will be your saviour tommorow.
Re: Dilemma: Advise From Experienced Bankers Needed by jjmk(m): 5:40pm On Aug 13, 2021
san316:

Just move. The fastest way to grow in the banking sector is by moving. Then face the new challenge head on. At the back of your mind remember that u will need to move in a few years time, hopefully to a higher role. Goodluck and all the best.
Re: Dilemma: Advise From Experienced Bankers Needed by eldega: 5:43pm On Aug 13, 2021
san316:

I will advice you move from your comfort zone for the new experience. That is the way to grow in the banking industry bro.
KD to Abuja is not that far, you can be coming home weekends to check up on family and all. The city center in Kaduna will surely be safe security wise.

I've once been in this same situation of yours in the past, I decided to stay in my comfort zone when I got another offer in another bank. I was so comfortable nothing will happen to me but 4 months after I rejected the new offer, unexpected happened and I was let go of my so to say comfort zone. Going back to what I rejected, I was told no chance again.

Like someone mentioned earlier, you only grow in banking by moving from one bank to the other which also include locations. In fact we have so many scenarios where you can come back to that your bank with higher responsibilities in future...

Also of utmost important is PRAY about it for God guidance too
Re: Dilemma: Advise From Experienced Bankers Needed by clemils1: 5:46pm On Aug 13, 2021
take the risk
Re: Dilemma: Advise From Experienced Bankers Needed by kings4sera(m): 5:46pm On Aug 13, 2021
Oga,
What is your grade and what grade are they offering you in your new Bank?
Is it a marketing role with targets to meet prior to confirmation of employment?
Does your wife have a Business she is doing in Abuja that she will have to abandon all because of your new role?
Are you enjoying your present role and Boss irrespective of the pay rise you may get in your Kaduna??
If you eventually lose your Job in Kaduna where are the opportunities available there relative to Abuja because Laslas Banking ends in Tsunami
Re: Dilemma: Advise From Experienced Bankers Needed by ibechris(m): 5:47pm On Aug 13, 2021
Pls,If u love ur family and ur life reject that offer.

Kaduna is the most violent state against other faith. Apart from herdsmen crisis there,it is the only state in Nigeria that experienced more riots and violence than any state in Nigerian.

Most people are running away because of the insecurity that has befallen the state and the current governor isn't helping matters at all.

Pls,remain where u are and I am sure u love ur family.
Abuja is far better than any state in the entire North.

Goodluck to u.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Sample Of NSE/COREN Technical Report / How To Achieve Your Financial Goals With A Single Income Source / ICAN Releases Date For March 2019 ATSWA Examination

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.