Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,208 members, 7,822,074 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:40 AM

Religion/state Of Origin Should Be Scrapped When Filling Legal Forms - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Religion/state Of Origin Should Be Scrapped When Filling Legal Forms (366 Views)

Anglican Priest, Rev. Ogbuchukwu Lotanna, Resigns, Forms Polygamous Movement / An Easy Way To Overcome All Forms Of Sexual Immorality And Addictions / Perfect Religion: Why Do Some Pastors Emphasise Mala. 3:10 More Than James 1:27? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Religion/state Of Origin Should Be Scrapped When Filling Legal Forms by Adaorababy(f): 4:54pm On Aug 16, 2021
The two major causes of division in Nigeria and Africa in general is our nepotistic attention to state of origin/tribe/religion especially when filling legal forms. To me, I feel this is totally unnecessary as it further worsens the unity of the already divided country.

So, I went to fix a tooth at a general hospital one day and on the form, I saw religion and state of origin and I was wondering how relevant that information was related to the application request.

I know some people will want to dissociate themselves from North. But I ask, is there any unity within the entire south? Does an Igbo man see a yoruba man as his brother? How often does a moslem marry a Christian? Most times when this even happens, there are usually lots of kickbacks from friends and family members resulting to disbandment, dissociation or banishment.

Even between the two religions, there are various internal divisions that abound. Does a Jehovah's witness see Pentecostal as worshippers of same God? How does the Pentecostal view an orthodox person? Does a Sunni, Shite or Izallah(Not sure I got the spelling right) share same view? Are they void of discriminations among them? How can we move forward as a people devoid of religious or tribal sentiments? Even animals co exist. Why can't humans do? Why should we be racist to ourselves even considering we're all blacks and everyday we shout black lives matter when it doesn't even matter to us blacks.

For one Nigeria to be achieved, these two questions should be scrapped when filling any legal document. Instead of these, State of residence should rather be alternated for these two questions especially if the person has stayed in that location for up to five years/above. Let's say we even go on our separate ways in the future, are we saying a yoruba person won't be able to enter an igbo or hausa country because we don't share similar views?Enough of these intentional hatred and bias across the two religions and across the various heterogeneous ethnic divisions in the country. Even if the government and religious bodies intentionally created these sorts of division for political reasons, isn't it time we outsmarted them? In the past, we used to see a Fulani and co existed peacefully together. What went wrong?

Let's even agree the government is responsible, why do we now allow ourselves be used as instruments of destruction, prejudice, hatred and maiming? 2023 is around the corner. They will pretend they love us. Let's use our sense. Let's not be blinded by hatred for one another into perpetually doing the wrong things. If you feel a candidate is very qualified, vote him/her irrespective of where the person comes from or his/her religion because if you vote based on religious or tribal sentiments, your God or ethnicity will not make you suffer less than others when the evil person is on the throne by your doing or undoing.

My opinion.
Re: Religion/state Of Origin Should Be Scrapped When Filling Legal Forms by MASTERCHIEF0847(m): 5:02pm On Aug 16, 2021
No it should not be scrapped. It makes it easier to identify these jihadists.
Once you scrap it more jihadists will come in from Mali, Niger and Chad claiming to be from Kogi or Nasarawa.
Re: Religion/state Of Origin Should Be Scrapped When Filling Legal Forms by Adaorababy(f): 5:05pm On Aug 16, 2021
MASTERCHIEF0847:
No it should not be scrapped. It makes it easier to identify these jihadists.
Once you scrap it more jihadists will come in from Mali, Niger and Chad claiming to be from Kogi or Nasarawa.

Hasn't that plunged us into more troubles? Didn't we co exist peacefully before now? What changed now?
Re: Religion/state Of Origin Should Be Scrapped When Filling Legal Forms by MASTERCHIEF0847(m): 5:07pm On Aug 16, 2021
Adaorababy:

Hasn't that plunged us into more troubles? Didn't we co exist peacefully before now? What changed now?
We have never co existed peacefully in Nigeria. If you know of such a time then say it here and let me debunk it with facts.
Re: Religion/state Of Origin Should Be Scrapped When Filling Legal Forms by Adaorababy(f): 5:23pm On Aug 16, 2021
MASTERCHIEF0847:

We have never co existed peacefully in Nigeria. If you know of such a time then say it here and let me debunk it with facts.

Really? Master chief, it's the sort of mindset that really needs to change. All over the world, conflicts abound occasionally. When this does, does that mean that the parties involved never co existed?
Re: Religion/state Of Origin Should Be Scrapped When Filling Legal Forms by Kobojunkie: 5:33pm On Aug 16, 2021
Adaorababy:
The two major causes of division in Nigeria and Africa in general is our nepotistic attention to state of origin/tribe/religion especially when filling legal forms. To me, I feel this is totally unnecessary as it further worsens the unity of the already divided country.
We live in the age of big data and such data is supposed to be mined by companies and government for other reasons and not just that which you pointed out. undecided
Re: Religion/state Of Origin Should Be Scrapped When Filling Legal Forms by MASTERCHIEF0847(m): 5:42pm On Aug 16, 2021
Adaorababy:

Really? Master chief, it's the sort of mindset that really needs to change. All over the world, conflicts abound occasionally. When this does, does that mean that the parties involved never co existed?
Leave sentiments aside and face reality Nigeria has never co existed peacefully at any point even before independence. The division was obvious but the British interest was in favour of a "One Nigeria" to further their business interests (united Africa company- UAC) (British petroleum - BP) etc.
My father served as a military officer with 22 armoured brigade of the NA, after my studies at Military school Zaria i proceeded to the defence academy with the hope to serve too before an auto accident put a stop to that. I love this country if only things will work right but a particular section of this country have always seen themselves as superior to the other tribes and that has always been the problem.

(1) (Reply)

Afghanistan And The Triumph Of World Ideologies By Deji Yesufu / The Lords Chosen: Pastor Lazarus Is Moving To Taraba State For A 2 Days Crusade / Think About These

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.