Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,130 members, 7,818,391 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:14 PM

Is There A Reason As To Why A Bank Should Ask This Question? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is There A Reason As To Why A Bank Should Ask This Question? (34875 Views)

My Experience Visiting A Bank For Loan As An Entrepreneur / My Dilemma As Contract Staff In A Bank / Should I Drop A Bank Job For A Federal Job? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is There A Reason As To Why A Bank Should Ask This Question? by pocohantas(f): 11:18pm On Nov 03, 2021
DoggoneDogg:
[s][/s]

Stay away from me toxic woman! angry

I will and I advise others to do same. Before you bite person with canines wey full your mouth.

3 Likes

Re: Is There A Reason As To Why A Bank Should Ask This Question? by Rodwave: 11:18pm On Nov 03, 2021
DoggoneDogg:

Except he is applying for a loan, a bank has no business knowing the colour of your gate or doing house verification.

Your hard-earned money is with them so if anything, it is the customer that should be asking for their MD's exact house address incase they run away with his money.

Stop posting ignorance on a public forum.

Lol.. This is logically funny grin

1 Like

Re: Is There A Reason As To Why A Bank Should Ask This Question? by Nobody: 11:19pm On Nov 03, 2021
This is a normal thing now.
.I remember when I opened my accounts, they came knocking on my door from both banks with the address I provided.

It was somehow unsettling when the guy introduced himself as a staff of the bank I recently opened an account with. So, When he saw my countenance, he just calmed me down and said they needed to know if the addy I gave them was genuine.

So, Op, no biggies. Na normal thing.

1 Like

Re: Is There A Reason As To Why A Bank Should Ask This Question? by bishopjoe02(m): 11:20pm On Nov 03, 2021
DoggoneDogg:
[s][/s]

Go & repay your loan & stop embarrassing yourself here abeg

A simple google search will have stop you from repeatedly embarrassing yourself in public, your reply clearly show you don't have a standard savings account, talk much of a current account, try and open one, then you will no what we are talking about. No need wasting my time on you, it is clear you are still a kid cos of your reply

4 Likes

Re: Is There A Reason As To Why A Bank Should Ask This Question? by Aganju849: 11:22pm On Nov 03, 2021
ramaju:
It is part of Know Your Customer (KYC). This verification is done on every new account to establish the intention and location of the owner of the account in case there need for visitation. Again the banker is gonna write visitation report of the customer. The color of the building, the gate and all those details are for visitation report because the banker is so lazy to go and see things by himself.

Exactly

Banker cannot kill himself...he wanna write up KYC report without visiting the customer at his address

1 Like

Re: Is There A Reason As To Why A Bank Should Ask This Question? by DoggoneDogg: 11:26pm On Nov 03, 2021
[s]
pocohantas:

I will and I advise others to do same. Before you bite person with canines wey full your mouth.
[/s]

Keep your mouth shut, go to the kitchen & make me a sandwich.
Re: Is There A Reason As To Why A Bank Should Ask This Question? by FuckAllTheMODs: 11:26pm On Nov 03, 2021
AntiWailer:

I guess u operate a wallet account with max transaction of 50K.

For Tier 2 and above kind of account, it is regulatory that they know where you stay.

Bro, they don't go out for that anymore.

Those guys(bankers) are fvcking lazy, except when they looking for customers or visiting a major customers.

1 Like

Re: Is There A Reason As To Why A Bank Should Ask This Question? by DoggoneDogg: 11:27pm On Nov 03, 2021
[s]
bishopjoe02:

A simple google search will have stop you from repeatedly embarrassing yourself in public, your reply clearly show you don't have a standard savings account, talk much of a current account, try and open one, then you will no what we are talking about. No need wasting my time on you, it is clear you are still a kid cos of your reply
[/s]

Onigbese.
Re: Is There A Reason As To Why A Bank Should Ask This Question? by FuckAllTheMODs: 11:31pm On Nov 03, 2021
bishopjoe02:

Oga calm down, I upgraded my account one time like that and they never asked me such question. It depends, some bankers may not ask and they will use previous details to do the upgrading or use a random description for that as long as you present a nepa bill.
Though I was a Corp member then.

I think they now use utility(nepa) bills in place of that.

So stop money-shaming him.

1 Like

Re: Is There A Reason As To Why A Bank Should Ask This Question? by moneyissweet(m): 11:32pm On Nov 03, 2021
Don't give ,some of them are bankers in the day and armed robber in the night

Forget the kyc rubbish,some of them are kidnappers

DamianX:
There's is something suspicious I noticed. A friend went for a bank upgrade which I accompanied him.
While he made available the documents needed, I noticed he was ask questions and one of the questions which got my attention was concerning his address.
They were interested in his address and the lady even asked "if one needs to find you, is this the address that will work?"

At the marketing room he told me he was asked the description of the building he resides in like the color, bungalow or story, gate colour

So to those who are enlightened on this, my question is why is such information needed especially the details of his residence?.
Is there a reason for this?
Re: Is There A Reason As To Why A Bank Should Ask This Question? by OlujobaSamuel: 11:32pm On Nov 03, 2021
Mercychen:
This is a normal thing now.
.I remember when I opened my accounts, they came knocking on my door from both banks with the address I provided.

It was somehow unsettling when the guy introduced himself as a staff of the bank I recently opened an account with. So, When he saw my countenance, he just called me down and said they needed to know if the addy I gave them was genuine.

So, Op, no biggies. Na normal thing.
Lol, as for mine, the lady called me some minutes to 7am, I was still on bed, she was just asking me questions about the house, the house behind ours, adjacent, etc, I was just like, abeg na early momo you dey wake me for dis kind thing, but because I know how the system works and the nature of our road coupled with her having to resume early or still visit some other customers, I just let her be.
This year alone, I'm aware of about 5address verification of people around me, they called me to confirm if it's fraudsters or not before responding to the calls.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is There A Reason As To Why A Bank Should Ask This Question? by dapolaw(m): 11:32pm On Nov 03, 2021
Normally the account officer was supposed to visit the address to ascertain if it actually exist, so by just asking about the description of the building he or she is just cutting corners and it will appear in the form that they had visited the address and saw the building.

DamianX:
There's is something suspicious I noticed. A friend went for a bank upgrade which I accompanied him.
While he made available the documents needed, I noticed he was ask questions and one of the questions which got my attention was concerning his address.
They were interested in his address and the lady even asked "if one needs to find you, is this the address that will work?"

At the marketing room he told me he was asked the description of the building he resides in like the color, bungalow or story, gate colour

So to those who are enlightened on this, my question is why is such information needed especially the details of his residence?.
Re: Is There A Reason As To Why A Bank Should Ask This Question? by bishopjoe02(m): 11:35pm On Nov 03, 2021
FuckAllTheMODs:

Oga calm down, I upgraded my account one time like that and they never asked me such question. It depends, some bankers may not ask and they will use previous details to do the upgrading or use a random description for that as long as you present a nepa bill.
Though I was a Corp member then.

I think they now use utility(nepa) bills in place of that.

So stop money-shaming him.

The standard procedure is for the banker to go and do the visitation herself from the address in your nepa bill, you were not asked because they went to your House or sent a vendor there. A lazy banker will ask you to describe the house for him and fill whatever you tell him
Re: Is There A Reason As To Why A Bank Should Ask This Question? by Rexymania(m): 11:35pm On Nov 03, 2021
Op e be like say you be JJC or a 15 year old grin

1 Like

Re: Is There A Reason As To Why A Bank Should Ask This Question? by FuckAllTheMODs: 11:38pm On Nov 03, 2021
bishopjoe02:

The standard procedure is for the banker to go and do the visitation herself from the address in your nepa bill, you were not asked because they went to your House or sent a vendor there. A lazy banker will ask you to describe the house for him and fill whatever you tell him

That is the same thing the guy is saying, he said they don't have any right to ask which is true.
Nigeria is a country where anything goes.

Asking a customer such questions is improper, they should be the one to find out themselves since they have a lead(nepa bill) on that already.

1 Like

Re: Is There A Reason As To Why A Bank Should Ask This Question? by executive12: 11:38pm On Nov 03, 2021
EjaikreTheViper:
See, those things na pure rubbish. You can be living in a zinc house but you fit still tell dem say na one new duplex wey get cockroach brown colour you dey stay. Who dey go verify?

Before StanbicIBTC opens a new account, they will physically visit and verify your address.

1 Like

Re: Is There A Reason As To Why A Bank Should Ask This Question? by DrDax: 11:41pm On Nov 03, 2021
DamianX:

Regulatory requirement.

As part of Know Your Customer (KYC) requirements, banks are expected to confirm your address on record by visiting.

To save themselves the stress, some marketers would rather ask you for description so they can fill the form as though they have visited the location.

Many banks however, outsource the KYC visitation to third-party companies.
Re: Is There A Reason As To Why A Bank Should Ask This Question? by ggood: 11:43pm On Nov 03, 2021
DamianX:

is called internal due diligence

1 Like

Re: Is There A Reason As To Why A Bank Should Ask This Question? by airsaylongcome: 11:45pm On Nov 03, 2021
DoggoneDogg:

House visitation was conducted for your bank accounts?

Forget o. They come surreptitiously. Outsourced to a service provider to go and visit
Re: Is There A Reason As To Why A Bank Should Ask This Question? by Nobody: 11:49pm On Nov 03, 2021
OlujobaSamuel:

Lol, as for mine, the lady called me some minutes to 7am, I was still on bed, she was just asking me questions about the house, the house behind ours, adjacent, etc, I was just like, abeg na early momo you dey wake me for dis kind thing, but because I know how the system works and the nature of our road coupled with her having to resume early or still visit some other customers, I just let her be.
This year alone, I'm aware of about 5address verification of people around me, they called me to confirm if it's fraudsters or not before responding to the calls.

You see? It's a normal bank practice. Op is just being paranoid. grin.

You're lucky she didn't come knocking at your door that early morning. grin.
Re: Is There A Reason As To Why A Bank Should Ask This Question? by rezzy: 11:54pm On Nov 03, 2021
DoggoneDogg:

Except he is applying for a loan, a bank has no business knowing the colour of your gate or doing house verification.

Your hard-earned money is with them so if anything, it is the customer that should be asking for their MD's exact house address incase they run away with his money.

Nonsense.

I was asked same when I opened a salary account.
I was even asked the name people know me as in my compound and area
Re: Is There A Reason As To Why A Bank Should Ask This Question? by alizma: 11:54pm On Nov 03, 2021
DamianX:

Calm down, that is part of KYC(Know Your Customer), as part of the KYC, the account officer is supposed to visit the customer's house and confirmed it to be correct with the address on the utility bill with which the account is opened but those lazy guys will sit in the office and ask some key questions which they will fill in to make it appears that they actually visited the customer's place of residence as shown in the utility bill. If you won fall their hands, just tell they man that you can't do his work for him, he should find out with the address you fill in, with that the banker will understand that you know the process of KYC and he/she will quickly let you be.
Re: Is There A Reason As To Why A Bank Should Ask This Question? by citizennaija: 11:56pm On Nov 03, 2021
Its due to laziness of bankers...
They are only looking for a shortcut.

The are surposed to do due diligence. Find out those information the are trickishly trying to get from you. Though i dont know is the bank takes care of the expenses in collating these information
Re: Is There A Reason As To Why A Bank Should Ask This Question? by Nobody: 12:06am On Nov 04, 2021
This is an upgrade for a tier 3 account. Such things will come up as guide against suspicious transactions, money laundering and risk classification of accounts as whether high, medium or low.
Re: Is There A Reason As To Why A Bank Should Ask This Question? by Elhabeeb1(m): 12:09am On Nov 04, 2021
DoggoneDogg:

Nonsense.

At least you should have tried finding out. You go just type rubbish.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is There A Reason As To Why A Bank Should Ask This Question? by DoggoneDogg: 12:09am On Nov 04, 2021
[s]
Elhabeeb1:

At least you should have tried finding out. You go just type rubbish.
[/s]

Shut up ebot
Re: Is There A Reason As To Why A Bank Should Ask This Question? by LollySeaSide: 12:10am On Nov 04, 2021
DamianX:

They're actually supposed to come to your location to verify that you actually live there.
Re: Is There A Reason As To Why A Bank Should Ask This Question? by fkj950ax(m): 12:11am On Nov 04, 2021
jrobbins:

Guy, compliance, I C and A or EFCC never ask anybody around you for visitation report before?

they shouldn't even ask, but go to see themselves.

DamianX:

At the marketing room he told me he was asked the description of the building he resides in like the color, bungalow or story, gate colour.

Exactly.
Lazy bankers.
They are supposed to get your address and PHYSICALLY VISIT to confirm the address.
The visit is supposed to be documented, so they just ask you the questions they will use to create a physical visit and fill out.
Re: Is There A Reason As To Why A Bank Should Ask This Question? by Nobody: 12:13am On Nov 04, 2021
its left for you to tell them the truth mr yahoo yahoo
Re: Is There A Reason As To Why A Bank Should Ask This Question? by greggng: 12:16am On Nov 04, 2021
DamianX:

KYC ..KNOW YOUR CUSTOMER POLICY
Re: Is There A Reason As To Why A Bank Should Ask This Question? by GloShare(m): 12:18am On Nov 04, 2021
DoggoneDogg:

House visitation was conducted for your bank accounts?

It was done for you too.

I used to be a kyc officer for keystone. I visited all the addresses and asked about their customers without their knowledge or authorization.

1 Like

Re: Is There A Reason As To Why A Bank Should Ask This Question? by Eriokanmi: 12:24am On Nov 04, 2021
It's normal, under the Know Your Customer policy of the CBN

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Lady Who Rehabilitated A Destitute Losses Her Job, See Her Reaction / All Teachers To Write Professional Exams In October – TRCN / Canadian Visa Application(hub) A Guide On How To Get Your Visa Approved

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.