Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,449 members, 7,819,659 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:04 PM

What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 - TV/Movies (2394) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 (3525489 Views)

What Series Are You Watching And Who Is Your Favorite Character? / What Movie Are You Watching Now? / What Series Are You Watching Now? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2391) (2392) (2393) (2394) (2395) (2396) (2397) ... (2820) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Dotng: 9:24pm On Sep 04, 2022
crackhaus:
On The Rings of Power, who else thinks they're doing too much with casting people of colour on the show? lipsrsealed

Before anyone comes for me and accuses me of being a self-hating black man, try to pause for a minute and understand.

I totally get how casting black actors can be a noble idea considering how racially sensitive the world has become, but when it becomes too much, too unnecessary in some circumstances, and above all TOO obvious, then it starts to look forced & deliberate.

I will try not to make comparisons, but HOTD has done a better job at colour-casting than TROP has done, and it's for this one very obvious reason — HOTD did it without making it look forced.

TROP has us looking at black Elves (really? I thought Elves are known to have pale-skin with distinct colour of eyes), then there are black Dwarves (perhaps this could be overlooked), black Harfoots (not quite sure the purpose of having actors of colour included here).

Even with those characters they called Travellers/Hunters who had less than 2mins of screen time, they still managed to make one of them black. undecided

Indeed it feels too deliberate, too forced... and honestly, once I start seeing that, then the novelty of it wears off and it starts to look patronizing.

Other than that, a good show overall... I am enjoying/will enjoy both HOTD and TROP to the fullest.

Your perception is as a result of conditioning.

There can never be too much blacks in a movie.
This is the age of colour. Not the black and white age. Anyone with sense will include as many people of colour as possible.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by toluxe0075: 9:39pm On Sep 04, 2022
I read the appendices of LOTR- the return of the ring and also skimmed through the silmarillion to learn about the second age. I must state that the show has enough resources to become great unless Amazon doesn't own the right to many of Tolkien's writings on the second age.

Amazon can also mess things up if they choose to go "the political correct" way in such a way that political correctness would dictate the plot and direction of the show.

I feel this is the major fear of the fans of Tolkien's work. It's too early to judge anyway.
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by crackhaus: 10:16pm On Sep 04, 2022
Dotng:

This is the age of colour. Not the black and white age. Anyone with sense will include as many people of colour as possible.
Lmao...
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by crackhaus: 10:17pm On Sep 04, 2022
GRIMMJOE:
Ignore that guy, he doesn't even watch Nigerian films, yet they are filled with black actors.
I am definitely ignoring 'it' henceforth.
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by crackhaus: 10:18pm On Sep 04, 2022
DandeNumeruno:
It is not requisite to adapt a show faithfully to its source materials. Historically, the best adaptations are those that take liberties and deviate slightly from the source. To some extent, Game of Thrones did it.

My point is that TRoP making changes isn't necessarily a bad thing. It is within your rights to object to the changes, but these changes may be important to the plot and may be crucial going forward.

Let us not make snap judgments. It takes time for the best wine to mature. I have no doubt that, given enough time, these changes will begin to grow on everyone, and people will completely forget their initial reservations.
There it is though.

"Slight" deviations, emphasis on slight.
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by crackhaus: 10:23pm On Sep 04, 2022
toluxe0075:
I read the appendices of LOTR- the return of the ring and also skimmed through the silmarillion to learn about the second age. I must state that the show has enough resources to become great unless Amazon doesn't own the right to many of Tolkien's writings on the second age.

Amazon can also mess things up if they choose to go "the political correct" way in such a way that political correctness would dictate the plot and direction of the show.

I feel this is the major fear of the fans of Tolkien's work. It's too early to judge anyway.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by OhBritannia(m): 12:26am On Sep 05, 2022
abduleez1:
The comparisons of both shows might seem unfair to them.

But who are we kidding... It's an event never seen before. Two epic fantasy shows with FAT budgets going head to head for several weeks. They're very much similar no matter how we look at it.

*Both are prequel shows to bigger franchises
*Both have (white) female leads
*Equally share diverse cast with important POC characters — Black Elves, dwarves and Harfoots in RoP & Black Velaryon family in HOTD.
*Adaptations of the two greatest fantasy book series
*Both have larger than life Fandoms
*Released in the same timeframe and promoted by behemoth parent companies.

What's not to debate? grin
But while you're at it doing the comps make sure you enjoy both shows. Light banter is good for both fandoms.
I'm all for great fantasy. And great banter. grin

OhBritannia, I hope you come give us small Wheel of Time marketing. grin I no tell you that time say WOT go chop relegation when them big boys land. grin
This is not the time for the wheel of time grin

The wheel of time ended since January and we might not see another season till late December or January next year.
You know the budgets of both house of dragon and the ring of power are higher than the wheel of time, so there is surely going to be difference in visuals and all but be it as it may, the wheel of not a bad show though.
They will come through in season two.

1 Like

Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by OhBritannia(m): 12:32am On Sep 05, 2022
But do you think HBO and it's game of thrones franchise releases their leak episodes on purpose?
Because these leaks is getting out of hand, since season of game of thrones, there is always a leaked episode.

Can't they just detect where it's coming From and stop it immediately?
For how many years will this keep happening?

Something is wrong somewhere or they know about it and allows it.

Anyways let me wait for credible sites to upload so i can watch.

It's still the same show, whether you wait for the one they will release or the ones that have been leaked. It really makes no difference. They are still the same,. It's not as if they will delete some scenes in the leaked one.

Let me look for the leaked one download.
No time to check time
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by OhBritannia(m): 12:54am On Sep 05, 2022
Blood origin, a prequel to the Witcher is coming by December.

I can't wait seeing that one of my all time ever favourite actress in on the show. "Michele Yeon"

I've been watching her movies for more than 20 years now.
Especially those days of Chinese Kung Fu movies.

Mehnn!!!! She has really been long in the industry.
Women like this deserves a beautiful image built in her honour and her award named after her.
Like the Yeon award trophy.
I believe all of us here remembers her.
She is a legend.
I remember seeing her when i was a kid in tomorrow never dies (James bond)
Super cop with Jackie Chan which was very popular in the 90s and then Tai chi Master which was a hit in the 90s too.

If you have seen these movies and you still ain't married then you need deliverance grin

1 Like

Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by OhBritannia(m): 1:11am On Sep 05, 2022
I can't believe i completely missed this show.
I didn't even know there is a series called sweet tooth, i have never heard of it even for once and to think that it came out in 2021 is still baffling me.

When i saw the cover, i was thinking it's some upcoming series and i didn't even know they have aired season 1.

Guys the rating is really nice, is the show nice? Or it's another Nickelodeon kids show like Ben 10 and the rest?

1 Like

Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by FBS: 2:24am On Sep 05, 2022
Swagger.

Enjoying this so far.
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by abduleez1(m): 3:11am On Sep 05, 2022
OhBritannia:
I can't believe i completely missed this show.
I didn't even know there is a series called sweet tooth, i have never heard of it even for once and to think that it came out in 2021 is still baffling me.

When i saw the cover, i was thinking it's some upcoming series and i didn't even know they have aired season 1.

Guys the rating is really nice, is the show nice? Or it's another Nickelodeon kids show like Ben 10 and the rest?

It's a DC show and many who have watched it had good things to say about it.
You probably missed the reviews here.

1 Like

Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by abduleez1(m): 3:31am On Sep 05, 2022
More than deserved.... cool

Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by OneKinGuy(m): 3:37am On Sep 05, 2022

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Clint02(m): 4:45am On Sep 05, 2022
OhBritannia:
Blood origin, a prequel to the Witcher is coming by December.

I can't wait seeing that one of my all time ever favourite actress in on the show. "Michele Yeon"

I've been watching her movies for more than 20 years now.
Especially those days of Chinese Kung Fu movies.

Mehnn!!!! She has really been long in the industry.
Women like this deserves a beautiful image built in her honour and her award named after her.
Like the Yeon award trophy.
I believe all of us here remembers her.
She is a legend.
I remember seeing her when i was a kid in tomorrow never dies (James bond)
Super cop with Jackie Chan which was very popular in the 90s and then Tai chi Master which was a hit in the 90s too.

If you have seen these movies and you still ain't married then you need deliverance grin
I think she is in shang chi.
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Iamyemmie: 5:50am On Sep 05, 2022
FBS:
Swagger.

Enjoying this so far.
I enjoyed the show
Waiting for the next season
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Owopariola001: 5:56am On Sep 05, 2022
Dotng:

This is the age of color. Not the black and white age. Anyone with sense will include as many people of color as possible.

It was even better than House of Dragon which used a "very black" man with white hair. I mean, though it may be possible like blacks in the Solomon Islands, that's not a usual thing among blacks. Plus a black noble in a prehistory period married a white princess? Nah.
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by OhBritannia(m): 6:14am On Sep 05, 2022
Clint02:
I think she is in shang chi.
Yes she was.
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by OhBritannia(m): 6:15am On Sep 05, 2022
abduleez1:

It's a DC show and many who have watched it had good things to say about it.
You probably missed the reviews here.
Alright i will download it and see how it goes.
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Kaycee7(m): 7:03am On Sep 05, 2022
Owopariola001:

It was even better than House of Dragon which used a "very black" man with white hair. I mean, though it may be possible like blacks in the Solomon Islands, that's not a usual thing among blacks. Plus a black noble in a prehistory period married a white princess? Nah.
It's kinda funny how it's easier for some folks to accept the fücking dragons than a black dude in a fantasy series.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by GloriousGbola: 7:08am On Sep 05, 2022
Kaycee7:
It's kinda funny how it's easier for some folks to accept the fücking dragons than a black dude in a fantasy series.

As a guy who follows gaming news I see this all the time. Let the hero or lead be anything other than a white guy and you will start seeing all sorts of long winded analysis.

The word is right there FANTASY.

You can imagine if jk Rowling had made Ron or hermione black. grin.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by AnfieldFan: 7:27am On Sep 05, 2022
Owopariola001:

What is PREHISTORY PERIOD here??

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Frostyzone(m): 7:33am On Sep 05, 2022
Owopariola001:

You lot are basically regurgitating the racist rhetorics of white conservatives. Like dude, look at your skin ffs. You're a black man, you're basically agreeing with white supremacist that you're subhuman.

I find it funny when these self loathing black folks appropriate racist ideologies that were designed to denigrate people of color and parrot these ideologies just to "own the libs". Like dude, you ain't white. By denigrating inclusiveness and political progression, you're basically admitting that you're inferior to your white masters. If inclusiveness = wokeness/political correctness, then I'm woke asf.

Wise up y'all ffs.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Kaycee7(m): 7:33am On Sep 05, 2022
GloriousGbola:

As a guy who follows gaming news I see this all the time. Let the hero or lead be anything other than a white guy and you will start seeing all sorts of long winded analysis.

The word is right there FANTASY.

You can imagine if jk Rowling had made Ron or hermione black. grin.
Can't have that. Would've obviously ruined the world building and immersion. grin grin

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Frostyzone(m): 7:40am On Sep 05, 2022
Kaycee7:

It's beyond ridiculous. decades of digesting western propaganda machine has conditioned these people to equate blackness to bad. Of course, they're divorced from the fact that they have black skin too.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Iamyemmie: 8:05am On Sep 05, 2022
Grammar just dey blow for this thread grin grin

I like when people argue maturely
Not vulgar way grin
Y’all continue,it’s sweetening me cheesy

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Iamyemmie: 8:07am On Sep 05, 2022
Just started big mouth and I am enjoying it so far

Alchemy of souls has opened gate for other kdramas in my heart

1 Like

Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by DandeNumeruno(m): 8:07am On Sep 05, 2022
House of the motherfvcking Dragon

Another incredible episode. The pacing was fantastic, as was the writing. When 50-60 minutes feels like 30 minutes, you know the writing is good. It met most of my expectations...

* Minor characters getting more lines √
* Character development √
* Sweeping gorgeous cinematic shots √
* A great battle √
* People making rational realistic decisions √
* Military decisions that make tactical sense √
* Beautiful music √
* Daemon “Fvck it I’ll do it Myself” Targaryen √

All in all, great episode. Next week can't come soon enough.

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by jikins(m): 8:13am On Sep 05, 2022
DandeNumeruno:
House of the motherfvcking Dragon

Another incredible episode. The pacing was fantastic, as was the writing. When 50-60 minutes feels like 30 minutes, you know your writing is good. It met most of my expectations...

* Minor characters getting more lines √
* Character development √
* Sweeping gorgeous cinematic shots √
* A great battle √
* People making rational realistic decisions √
* Military decisions that make tactical sense √
* Beautiful music √
* Daemon “Bleep It I’ll do it Myself” Targaryen √

All in all, great episode. Can't wait for next week.

Daemon the man, the myth, the legend!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Owopariola001: 8:38am On Sep 05, 2022
Kaycee7:

It's a fantasy based on white folklore. Accept reality bro.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Baddestguyp(m): 8:45am On Sep 05, 2022
Omo...
24 hours rule is still on...
Nobody should spoil oh
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by OhBritannia(m): 8:49am On Sep 05, 2022
House of dragon episode 3 is 10/10 for me.

As usual, the series just keep getting better and better and better.
This episode has so many wow scenes you will have no choice than to replay those scenes again.
When you find yourself rewinding just to watch a particular scene over and over again then you should know that you are watching a GOATED series.
Let me not drop spoilers but one of my favorites scenes wasn't even that of Daemon, it's that of the princess when she came back to the camp, as she was walking, the looks given by the armies and her father and the nobles were so amazing to watch, i had to replay over and over again.

This princess isn't here to play, she is even going To be a badass more than her uncle grin
I can see craze in her eyes grin

But that last battle was Goated mehhn!!!!!
Daemon is the Goat.

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (2391) (2392) (2393) (2394) (2395) (2396) (2397) ... (2820) (Reply)

What Movie Are You Watching Now? / Live: Big Brother Naija 2018 (Double Wahala) BBNaija Live Thread / BBNaija 2021 Live Updates Thread

Viewing this topic: mindsta(m), abmendozer(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.