Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,587 members, 7,816,444 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:20 AM

Should I Stop Going To Church? This Is What I Saw In The Bible... (Photos) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should I Stop Going To Church? This Is What I Saw In The Bible... (Photos) (1624 Views)

My Experience In Church This Morning / Covid-19 Relief Items From My Church This Morning / Mami Water Worshipper Burns Bible (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Stop Going To Church? This Is What I Saw In The Bible... (Photos) by Fluency(m): 6:27pm On Aug 20, 2021
Details below

Re: Should I Stop Going To Church? This Is What I Saw In The Bible... (Photos) by Nobody: 6:28pm On Aug 20, 2021
No comment lipsrsealed
Re: Should I Stop Going To Church? This Is What I Saw In The Bible... (Photos) by Freebirs(f): 6:30pm On Aug 20, 2021
Bros that's a Jewish law. It differ from yours

1 Like

Re: Should I Stop Going To Church? This Is What I Saw In The Bible... (Photos) by Fluency(m): 6:31pm On Aug 20, 2021
Macsjebs:
No comment lipsrsealed

Why?
Re: Should I Stop Going To Church? This Is What I Saw In The Bible... (Photos) by mariahAngel(f): 6:32pm On Aug 20, 2021
Fluency:
Check out for details

It was instructed according to their Jewish law.
Those were early jewish Christians (they even still exist till today) and it wasn’t that easy breaking off from the law they’ve been accustomed to.

1 Like

Re: Should I Stop Going To Church? This Is What I Saw In The Bible... (Photos) by Fluency(m): 6:34pm On Aug 20, 2021
mariahAngel:

Those were early jewish Christians (they even still exist till today) and it wasn’t that easy breaking off from the law they’ve been accustomed to.

Educative. Thanks!
Re: Should I Stop Going To Church? This Is What I Saw In The Bible... (Photos) by Nobody: 6:37pm On Aug 20, 2021
Fluency:

Why?
Waiting to read comments from elders wink
Re: Should I Stop Going To Church? This Is What I Saw In The Bible... (Photos) by Fluency(m): 6:38pm On Aug 20, 2021
Freebirs:

Read again, the cry is from a lady, not me. I'm only seeking an answer from those who are well equipped with biblical knowledge. Maybe a little historical background would help.
Thank you!
Re: Should I Stop Going To Church? This Is What I Saw In The Bible... (Photos) by Snitch24(m): 6:38pm On Aug 20, 2021
Las Las na religion
Gan gan be scam
No be school
Re: Should I Stop Going To Church? This Is What I Saw In The Bible... (Photos) by NOGRUDGES(m): 6:39pm On Aug 20, 2021
Wait for the holy spirit enhanced explainers
Re: Should I Stop Going To Church? This Is What I Saw In The Bible... (Photos) by kestolove95(m): 6:45pm On Aug 20, 2021
ask ursef what wia ur great grand parent practicing b4 the coming of the missionaries. ..they took our religion and impose their religion on us

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Stop Going To Church? This Is What I Saw In The Bible... (Photos) by Janesouthall: 6:52pm On Aug 20, 2021
Freebirs:

But na still the Bible una pastor dey take preach from abi...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Stop Going To Church? This Is What I Saw In The Bible... (Photos) by Nobody: 6:53pm On Aug 20, 2021
Fluency:
Details below

Religion is a scam.
The fhuckin Bible was written by fhuckin humans.

1 Like

Re: Should I Stop Going To Church? This Is What I Saw In The Bible... (Photos) by Fluency(m): 6:57pm On Aug 20, 2021
Trustnoman4life:

Religion is a scam.
The fhuckin Bible was written by fhuckin humans.

You went too far! I pray God to forgive you.
Re: Should I Stop Going To Church? This Is What I Saw In The Bible... (Photos) by illicit(m): 7:01pm On Aug 20, 2021
Religion is a scam
Re: Should I Stop Going To Church? This Is What I Saw In The Bible... (Photos) by Nobody: 7:02pm On Aug 20, 2021
Fluency:

Which God?
The one that told Christian preachers in the northern parts of Nigeria to carry guns or the one that told the fhuckin Muslims to fhuck under age girls and marry their first second or third cousins .
You need sense.
Religion is a big scam .

2 Likes

Re: Should I Stop Going To Church? This Is What I Saw In The Bible... (Photos) by Fluency(m): 7:06pm On Aug 20, 2021
Trustnoman4life:

Which God?
The one that told Christian preachers in the northern parts of Nigeria to carry guns or the one that told the fhuckin Muslims to fhuck under age girls and marry their first second or third cousins .
You need sense.
Religion is a big scam .

That's blasphemy
Re: Should I Stop Going To Church? This Is What I Saw In The Bible... (Photos) by Nobody: 7:08pm On Aug 20, 2021
Fluency:

That's blasphemy
Your head dey shake.
Blaspheme who ?
Which God?
You need sense.
Religion is a big scam .

1 Like

Re: Should I Stop Going To Church? This Is What I Saw In The Bible... (Photos) by phorget(m): 7:12pm On Aug 20, 2021
Religion is the opium of the masses.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Stop Going To Church? This Is What I Saw In The Bible... (Photos) by Acehart: 7:24pm On Aug 20, 2021
You shouldn’t stop going to church. It is God’s will that you should be part of the church.

Regarding those verses, 1 Corinthians 14:34-35, let’s look at the context of those verses so that we may not be led astray by little understanding.

The letter, 1 Corinthians was written as a rebuke to that church: they were steep in a lot of unscriptural practices; this made Paul to write this great expression- I desire to know nothing among you, except Christ and Him crucified, as the church was in spiritual chaos: (righteous) leadership was missing in the church, godly behavior was hard to find and the church was only interested in gifts of Christ rather than Christ.

The chapter addressed the chaos of the tongues-speaking gift and prophetic gift. The three verses just before the first two words of the verses you highlighted says:

For you can all prophesy one by one, so that all may learn and all may be exhorted; and the spirits of prophets are subject to prophets; for God is not a God of confusion but of peace, as in all the churches of the saints. The women are to keep silent in the churches.

The chief words in these verses are prophesy and prophets. These verses mean that the prophet-elders (in their midst) should take authority in the church, regulating the display of gifts. But the women should hold their peace. You should ask: which women?

In chapter 11, Paul rebukes the church for letting certain women become the symbol of authority in the church. They were the women with “uncovered” hair (The brothel art in Pompeii, Italy, depicts prostitutes with full heads of hair, never shaved. Other erotic art from Pompeii shows sexually promiscuous women with their hair done up as the matrons wore it. “Letting down their hair,” was a practice probably associated with spiritual freedom in Dionysus worship).

In the worship of Aphrodites in Corinth, women were the symbols of authority in the temple worship (like Jezebel, Ahab’s wife) and the adoption of such practice in the church was contrary to God’s ‘word first sent forth’, the law (v.36)- God is not the author of confusion; He will not marry Christ with a prostitute.

In the latter part of the chapter you quoted, Paul writes: if anyone thinks he is a prophet. This was Paul’s shotgun aimed at those women, the ones who were heading the church.

Revelation 2:20 But I have this against you, that you tolerate the woman Jezebel, who calls herself a prophetess, and she teaches and leads My bond-servants astray so that they commit acts of immorality and eat things sacrificed to idols.

I hope I didn’t bore you with my answer

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should I Stop Going To Church? This Is What I Saw In The Bible... (Photos) by Kobojunkie: 7:26pm On Aug 20, 2021
mariahAngel:

Definitely must not have been easy for them to break from that old custom of theirs but I hope they eventually did, I mean the ones that was written to. undecided
Re: Should I Stop Going To Church? This Is What I Saw In The Bible... (Photos) by Kobojunkie: 7:28pm On Aug 20, 2021
Fluency:

Read again, the cry is from a lady, not me. I'm only seeking an answer from those who are well equipped with biblical knowledge. Maybe a little historical background would help.
Thank you!
Tell the Lady then that she is called to obey Jesus Christ teachings and commandments. undecided

Jesus Christ never asked anyone to attend any any man's churches, and he certainly made it clear that those who submit to the doctrines and traditions of men do so against Him. undecided
Re: Should I Stop Going To Church? This Is What I Saw In The Bible... (Photos) by Kobojunkie: 7:29pm On Aug 20, 2021
kestolove95:
ask ursef what wia ur great grand parent practicing b4 the coming of the missionaries. ..they took our religion and impose their religion on us
Why ask that question? undecided
Re: Should I Stop Going To Church? This Is What I Saw In The Bible... (Photos) by kingxsamz(m): 10:19pm On Aug 20, 2021
mariahAngel:

Lmao... I thought Yaweh's law is supposed to supercede that of humans.
How come the god in the bible had to give rules and laws based on what the people of those times perceived to be 'good and bad'?
Just like the verse where slaves were instructed to obey their masters, or where rapists were told to marry their victims. And you people call your god unchangeable, meanwhile, your god depends on man made laws. cheesy
Re: Should I Stop Going To Church? This Is What I Saw In The Bible... (Photos) by kingxsamz(m): 10:20pm On Aug 20, 2021
Fluency:

Lol, the truth hurts. Deep down you feel the same way.
Re: Should I Stop Going To Church? This Is What I Saw In The Bible... (Photos) by Kobojunkie: 10:24pm On Aug 20, 2021
kingxsamz:

Lmao... I thought Yaweh's law is supposed to supercede that of humans.
How come the god in the bible had to give rules and laws based on what the people of those times perceived to be 'good and bad'?
Just like the verse where slaves were instructed to obey their masters, or where rapists were told to marry their victims. And you people call your god unchangeable, meanwhile, your god depends on man made laws. cheesy
The Old Covenant Law, YHWH, is also one of God's own Laws. So these people who were born into one Law were expected to transition from the Old Law/Covenant into the New Covenant , Jesus Christ, under the same God. undecided

The transition from the Old to the New is gradual one that happens over years , even, and the epistles are supposedly Paul's records of some of his own experiences relayed. undecided

1 Like

Re: Should I Stop Going To Church? This Is What I Saw In The Bible... (Photos) by Fluency(m): 10:14am On Aug 21, 2021
Acehart:
You shouldn’t stop going to church. It is God’s will that you should be part of the church.

Regarding those verses, 1 Corinthians 14:34-35, let’s look at the context of those verses so that we may not be led astray by little understanding.

The letter, 1 Corinthians was written as a rebuke to that church: they were steep in a lot of unscriptural practices; this made Paul to write this great expression- I desire to know nothing among you, except Christ and Him crucified, as the church was in spiritual chaos: (righteous) leadership was missing in the church, godly behavior was hard to find and the church was only interested in gifts of Christ rather than Christ.

The chapter addressed the chaos of the tongues-speaking gift and prophetic gift. The three verses just before the first two words of the verses you highlighted says:

For you can all prophesy one by one, so that all may learn and all may be exhorted; and the spirits of prophets are subject to prophets; for God is not a God of confusion but of peace, as in all the churches of the saints. The women are to keep silent in the churches.

The chief words in these verses are prophesy and prophets. These verses mean that the prophet-elders (in their midst) should take authority in the church, regulating the display of gifts. But the women should hold their peace. You should ask: which women?

In chapter 11, Paul rebukes the church for letting certain women become the symbol of authority in the church. They were the women with “uncovered” hair (The brothel art in Pompeii, Italy, depicts prostitutes with full heads of hair, never shaved. Other erotic art from Pompeii shows sexually promiscuous women with their hair done up as the matrons wore it. “Letting down their hair,” was a practice probably associated with spiritual freedom in Dionysus worship).

In the worship of Aphrodites in Corinth, women were the symbols of authority in the temple worship (like Jezebel, Ahab’s wife) and the adoption of such practice in the church was contrary to God’s ‘word first sent forth’, the law (v.36)- God is not the author of confusion; He will not marry Christ with a prostitute.

In the latter part of the chapter you quoted, Paul writes: if anyone thinks he is a prophet. This was Paul’s shotgun aimed at those women, the ones who were heading the church.

Revelation 2:20 But I have this against you, that you tolerate the woman Jezebel, who calls herself a prophetess, and she teaches and leads My bond-servants astray so that they commit acts of immorality and eat things sacrificed to idols.

I hope I didn’t bore you with my answer

You didn't bore me at all, rather you educate me on what you best know. I really enjoy the piece. You're well read!
Please, are you a disciple of Apostle Joshua Selman?

1 Like

Re: Should I Stop Going To Church? This Is What I Saw In The Bible... (Photos) by Fluency(m): 10:17am On Aug 21, 2021
I wish moderators can push this to front page to attract more engaging analyses!
Re: Should I Stop Going To Church? This Is What I Saw In The Bible... (Photos) by Acehart: 10:49am On Aug 21, 2021
Fluency:

You didn't bore me at all, rather you educate me on what you best know. I really enjoy the piece. You're well read!
Please, are you a disciple of Apostle Joshua Selman?

Thank you for your kind words. I am pleased with your consideration to remain with the body of Christ through my words.

I’m not a disciple of Mr Joshua. I’ve not heard any of his sermons. I usually prefer to drench myself in reading the scriptures for myself and understanding the background of the texts (through the study of historical information) and understanding of English grammar so that it would help my reasoning.

1 Like

Re: Should I Stop Going To Church? This Is What I Saw In The Bible... (Photos) by jesusjnr2020(m): 10:54am On Aug 21, 2021
Fluency:
Details below
I don't know about stopping Church attendance, because I haven't been a church member in close to 20 years, yet there are hardly people who do who are spiritually inclined like I am, so I can't see much difference.

What I would say is that, if you're truly saved and of God, stick and even make your bond stronger because what you saw in the Bible there did not come from God but man.

God would never say such a thing, and you would also see that even those who claim to believe everything in the Bible is the Word of God, do not take that saying seriously, so you shouldn't also.

God bless.

1 Like

Re: Should I Stop Going To Church? This Is What I Saw In The Bible... (Photos) by Fluency(m): 11:05am On Aug 21, 2021
Acehart:

Thank you for your kind words. I am pleased with your consideration to remain with the body of Christ through my words.

I’m not a disciple of Mr Joshua. I’ve not heard any of his sermons. I usually prefer to drench myself in reading the scriptures for myself and understanding the background of the texts (through the study of historical information) and understanding of English grammar so that it would help my reasoning.

Very interesting!
Re: Should I Stop Going To Church? This Is What I Saw In The Bible... (Photos) by MaxInDHouse(m): 11:08am On Aug 21, 2021
I am Maximus one of JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES, would you like me to participate in the ongoing discussion? smiley

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Confusion Of A Nigerian Muslim / Horus And Christ / The Complete Bible Experience ! Www.inspiredby.com

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.