Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,980 members, 7,835,285 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:07 AM

Kano To Buy Five Cows With N9.2 Million Budget - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Kano To Buy Five Cows With N9.2 Million Budget (30740 Views)

Kano Govt Purchases 5 Cows For N9.2 Million / Judiciary Tops ICPC Corruption Index With N9.4bn Bribes In Two Years / BREAKING: Patience Jonathan Forfeits $8.4 Million, N9.2 Billion To Fed Govt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kano To Buy Five Cows With N9.2 Million Budget by maldino: 8:43am On Aug 22, 2021
Lol....Golden cow na
Re: Kano To Buy Five Cows With N9.2 Million Budget by seetomorrow: 9:20am On Aug 22, 2021
Fahdiga:
One day a cow will be elected as the governor of a northern state. A region where in children's nursery school books C stands for cow instead of car

Re: Kano To Buy Five Cows With N9.2 Million Budget by 00FFT00(m): 10:21am On Aug 22, 2021
Beancounter94:
Ok...

1.Kano state isn't buying Zebu cows, or fulani cows for N20000, they are buying Freisan cows...bulls...to mate with the home based cows...for science, and for improved yields, etc....

2. A bull may cost $1220...which in naira terms....502,200 naira. Five of them would cost over 2.5million naira. A bull may also cost $2000 , and five of them 4.5million naira.

3.There is some explaining to do about the remaining half of the kudi

This cow specie is not native to Nigeria or Africa. Can we assume these cows will also walk back from wherever they were purchased from?
Re: Kano To Buy Five Cows With N9.2 Million Budget by aribisala0(m): 11:07am On Aug 22, 2021
NGpatriot:

1. I don't know you, but going by your zero knowledge about the breed in question, I do know that you are clueless and you know nothing about animal husbandry.

2. You can not ask irrelevant questions like how come they haven't done this or that simply because you don't know what they have done or haven't done and the fact that they have 2 active Animal Insemination Centres means this is not their first rodeo. They obviously know more than you. They do this for a living, but you don't.

3. You said 5 is not a commercial scale and I educated you that they are inseminating to generate thousands per year.

4. Such Government agencies conduct research to help grow and support businesses, in this case, the dairy industry, they are not necessarily selling cows. It's like the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture in Ibadan, they conduct research to come up with the best seeds, but they don't sell the seeds, they, they pass the seeds to farmers for planting.

Again, stick to your day job and let the people do their job.

You don't know anything and your ITK is getting boring and annoying.

Like I said you do not know me
You clearly had no understanding of what commercial scale meant because you said "They are not for sale"
If you know anything about dairy farming and cow breeding in general you would know it is not as simple as buying 5 Bulls and then using them for breeding thousands .
This cannot done without proven research for local reality

In this case that means resistance to trypanosomes and babesiosis and local parasites

No one will sell you quality bulls with a proven breeding pedigree for such a ridiculously low price.
EVEN THE FULANI UNDERSTAND THIS and do not sell their quality animals anyhow

In the industry today billions are spent on frozen sperm from proven bulls
These animals go for upwards of $100000 each and sometimes a lot more for one animal often

The second thing is when it comes to dairy the cow(female) pedigree is just as important as the Bull(male)
So where are the Thousands of females going to come from and what is there pedigree?
This is a knowledge intensive industry and much of the knowledge is closely guarded with patents in commercial multinational entities.
In your simple mind you think you just enter the market buy 5 Friesian bulls and start mating them with Fulani Reds and magic will happen
Milk productivity is a female trait so I am not sure the genetics teacher that told you it will be transmitted via semen
There is an evolutionary reason why African cows do not produce so much milk. Cows generally are designed to produce milk for their offspring not for humans like machines and to do so there must be manipulation

1 Like

Re: Kano To Buy Five Cows With N9.2 Million Budget by focus7: 11:53am On Aug 22, 2021
APC government taking corruption to a new height
Re: Kano To Buy Five Cows With N9.2 Million Budget by Fahdiga(m): 11:58am On Aug 22, 2021
Mrsoft3:

You did not read the news just the headlines
Does it make any difference
Re: Kano To Buy Five Cows With N9.2 Million Budget by Barnabe(m): 1:07pm On Aug 22, 2021
Why Northerners stupid like this?
Re: Kano To Buy Five Cows With N9.2 Million Budget by Agboriotejoye(m): 11:56pm On Aug 22, 2021
aribisala0:

Like I said you do not know me
You clearly had no understanding of what commercial scale meant because you said "They are not for sale"
If you know anything about dairy farming and cow breeding in general you would know it is not as simple as buying 5 Bulls and then using them for breeding thousands .
This cannot done without proven research for local reality

In this case that means resistance to trypanosomes and babesiosis and local parasites

No one will sell you quality bulls with a proven breeding pedigree for such a ridiculously low price.
EVEN THE FULANI UNDERSTAND THIS and do not sell their quality animals anyhow

In the industry today billions are spent on frozen sperm from proven bulls
These animals go for upwards of $100000 each and sometimes a lot more for one animal often

The second thing is when it comes to dairy the cow(female) pedigree is just as important as the Bull(female)
So where are the Thousands of females going to come from and what is there pedigree?
This is a knowledge intensive industry and much of the knowledge is closely guarded with patents in commercial multinational entities.
In your simple mind you think you just enter the market buy 5 Friesian bulls and start mating them with Fulani Reds and magic will happen
Milk productivity is a female trait so I am not sure the genetics teacher that told you it will be transmitted via semen

Let me apologise on behalf of the zombie.
His unfortunate job is to defend the inanities of his paymasters and attack anyone who dares question them
May I add to your very brilliant and enlightening write-up that the dude is just saying nonsense.
First of all, comparing IITA with a state govt agency is the height of ignorance given that IITA is not even a govt agency. It's FG counterpart known as NCRI has not produced anything worthy of note in the Nigerian agric seedling space since inception in the 70s. In its most busy year, it goes on strike for at least four months. The present head is a product of naked nepotism which involved the staff who are members of his ethnic stock shutting down the institute for months and insisting one of them be installed as the head ahead of a more competent scholar who was actually next in line in the order of succession.
Not to mention the fact that most state govt agencies are just salary earning points for the staff who may not even be qualified to occupy the position they are in. Most of them don't even go to their offices or go when they feel like. A state like Kano that has elevated religion and culture as the centerpiece of its governance will be the last to be so deep in such a research as he is claiming.
Once again, I apologize on the zomboid's behalf.
He is just doing his bit for his daily bread.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Akpabio & Wife Plot Assassination Of Inibehe Effiong - Sahara Reporters / Jimi Agbaje And His Wife Arrive Their Polling Unit To Cast Their Vote (Photos) / ACP Usman Shugaba Named Chief Personal Security Officer To The President-Elect

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.