Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,260 members, 7,815,414 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:59 AM

Judiciary Tops ICPC Corruption Index With N9.4bn Bribes In Two Years - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Judiciary Tops ICPC Corruption Index With N9.4bn Bribes In Two Years (9286 Views)

Kano To Buy Five Cows With N9.2 Million Budget / Lauretta Onochie Accuses Obasanjo, Ezekwesili Of Influencing Corruption Index / Nigeria Ranks Lower On 2019 Transparency International’s Corruption Index (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Judiciary Tops ICPC Corruption Index With N9.4bn Bribes In Two Years by dre11(m): 2:53pm On Dec 02, 2020
The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) says N9,457,650,000 was corruptly demanded, offered and paid as bribe in Nigeria’s justice sector between 2018 and 2020.

This was contained in a report entitled, ‘Nigeria Corruption Index: Report of a pilot survey’, carried out by the Anti-Corruption Academy of Nigeria, the research and training arm of the ICPC.

According to the report, “bribe for judgment is one of the most egregious forms of grand corruption as it operates to undermine the very essence of judicial dispute resolution”.

In the report, lawyers were said to be most responsible for offering bribes for favourable judgment — with 27.17 percent. Litigants followed closely with 21.96 percent, court staff (clerks, registrars etc) 21.54 percent; judges 16.88 percent, and government MDAs 7.37 percent.

“A large percentage, 73% of justice sector respondents did not experience a situation of outright demand or offer of bribe. Nevertheless, it remains alarming that 16 per cent of respondents had experienced such blatant demands or offers of bribes,” the report said.

“Follow up discussions indicated that the cases of outright demand and offer of bribes are mostly linked to election matters.

“Money involved in the high-level corruption in this sector was categorized into money demanded, offered or paid. Demands are made by court officials including judges, while bribery offers and payments are made by lawyers or litigants.

“The total amount of money reported by the Justice sector respondents as corruptly demanded, offered and paid between 2018 and 2020 was N9,457, 650,000.00 (N9.457 billion).

“78 respondents constituting 8.7% of all justice sector respondents reported offers or payments of bribes to influence the judicial process.

“Out of the 78 justice sector respondents that reported amounts of money offered or paid, 63 were lawyers. This number makes up 9.9% of all lawyers surveyed in the justice sector. The 63 lawyers that reported payments were mostly male being 69.8%, while their female colleagues constituted 30.2% of that population.

“In all, the total amount of money reported by lawyers was N5,733,986,000.00. The amount reported by female lawyers was N918,045,000 while male lawyers reported N4,815,941,000(N4.8billion).

“These amounts made up 9.71% and 50.92% respectively of the total amount reported by justice sector respondents. Lawyers reported 60.63% of the bribes offered and paid by justice sector respondents.

“The amount of money offered to judges was next in volume to payments made by lawyers. In all, N3,699,664,000 (N3.699billion) was reported by 11, that is 8.9 per cent of the 123 judges surveyed. 6(54.5 per cent) out of the judges that reported the offers were female, while 5(45.5 per cent) were male.

“Although the females were just slightly more in number than the males, the females reported a substantially higher amount of money.

“The total reported by the six (6) female judges was N3,307,444,000 while the five (5) male judges reported N392,220,000.00. These amounts made up 34.97% and 4.15% respectively of the total amount reported by justice sector respondents. Judges reported 39.12% of the bribes offered and paid by justice sector respondents.

“The court staff reported the lowest amount of money offered as bribe to influence the outcome of a judicial process. The total amount of money reported by court staff was N24,000,000…”

Apart from “bribe for judgment”, another type of corruption identified in the judiciary by the ICPC is “fraudulent alterations of court documents”.

“In the experience of justice sector respondents, court staff are most responsible for this corrupt practice,” the report said.

“The combined forces of court staff and lawyers account for 70.2% of cases of fraudulent alteration of court documents.

”This is another situation where those who have a duty to implement a system are also the most responsible for disregarding it.”

https://www.thecable.ng/judiciary-tops-icpc-corruption-index-with-n9-4bn-bribes-in-two-years

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Judiciary Tops ICPC Corruption Index With N9.4bn Bribes In Two Years by Whoube99(f): 3:10pm On Dec 02, 2020

3 Likes

Re: Judiciary Tops ICPC Corruption Index With N9.4bn Bribes In Two Years by Nobody: 3:13pm On Dec 02, 2020
bh

1 Like

Re: Judiciary Tops ICPC Corruption Index With N9.4bn Bribes In Two Years by Fahdiga(m): 3:28pm On Dec 02, 2020
What we have in Nigeria is cash and carry justice system

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Judiciary Tops ICPC Corruption Index With N9.4bn Bribes In Two Years by inoki247: 3:32pm On Dec 02, 2020
Dem sef dey cashout...

Na highest bidder dey win case for Naija now....

8 Likes

Re: Judiciary Tops ICPC Corruption Index With N9.4bn Bribes In Two Years by Nwadiuto247: 4:37pm On Dec 02, 2020
Mark 8:36 For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?

1 Like

Re: Judiciary Tops ICPC Corruption Index With N9.4bn Bribes In Two Years by Nobody: 5:27pm On Dec 02, 2020
In Nigeria, we are all very corrupt, that's the bitter truth! I don't care what anybody would say, na my mind I talk. Apart from President Mohammadu Buhari, Governor Zulum, Professor Osinbajo and maybe 97 more Nigerians, the remaining lot are fantastically corrupt, and that's why we're finding it hard to kill corruption.

Some years ago, at work, na so the owner of the hotel begin praise me.. It was my 3rd day as the new receptionist. He was happy I was making x3/x4 of what previous receptionists made. Previous receptionists go give like 50 rooms a day, but them go write 20 rooms down, the money for the remaining 30 rooms, them go pocket am. Heartless beings! When I joined the hotel newly, they were all calling me "Pastor" because I refused to participate. "I wonder wetin pastor like you dey find for hotel" they'll mock me..

When it was time for me to leave (to resume school) the owner almost cried. He pleaded with me to recommend someone for the job, but I told him frankly "I don't trust anyone"..

This is how terrible most Nigerians have become. Too corrupt and wicked!

May God help us in this country!

45 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Judiciary Tops ICPC Corruption Index With N9.4bn Bribes In Two Years by 900warriorz: 6:00pm On Dec 02, 2020
Nigeria o'laa go cry

Re: Judiciary Tops ICPC Corruption Index With N9.4bn Bribes In Two Years by PAWG(m): 6:01pm On Dec 02, 2020
I’m not surprised

1 Like

Re: Judiciary Tops ICPC Corruption Index With N9.4bn Bribes In Two Years by 4tomandchi: 6:01pm On Dec 02, 2020
Judiciary is supposed to be the last hope of the common man.

We are doomed!!!

1 Like

Re: Judiciary Tops ICPC Corruption Index With N9.4bn Bribes In Two Years by Vicogrin(m): 6:01pm On Dec 02, 2020
hmmm
This is serious
Re: Judiciary Tops ICPC Corruption Index With N9.4bn Bribes In Two Years by DropsMic(m): 6:01pm On Dec 02, 2020
Even the ICPC gan is fantastically corrupt
Re: Judiciary Tops ICPC Corruption Index With N9.4bn Bribes In Two Years by BeardGangJnr1(m): 6:01pm On Dec 02, 2020
ethicallyright:
bh
Boko Haram
Re: Judiciary Tops ICPC Corruption Index With N9.4bn Bribes In Two Years by Cumtroller: 6:01pm On Dec 02, 2020
Can they break this down geographically? According to a United Nations study, most corrupt cases emanate from the Northern and Western parts of this country.

Re: Judiciary Tops ICPC Corruption Index With N9.4bn Bribes In Two Years by joelbooks: 6:01pm On Dec 02, 2020
Money the root of all evils, but how are they so certain with the figures
Re: Judiciary Tops ICPC Corruption Index With N9.4bn Bribes In Two Years by ElValiente(m): 6:02pm On Dec 02, 2020

1 Like

Re: Judiciary Tops ICPC Corruption Index With N9.4bn Bribes In Two Years by karnafiu03(m): 6:02pm On Dec 02, 2020
Who pay and who collect....we no know undecided
Re: Judiciary Tops ICPC Corruption Index With N9.4bn Bribes In Two Years by tuna4servi(m): 6:03pm On Dec 02, 2020
bleeped country
Re: Judiciary Tops ICPC Corruption Index With N9.4bn Bribes In Two Years by tot(f): 6:06pm On Dec 02, 2020
Money they end up spending on ill health, stuck in traffic, unsafe, victims of the very system they helped to destroy. Mschew. Nothing to be envied.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Judiciary Tops ICPC Corruption Index With N9.4bn Bribes In Two Years by CocoaOla: 6:06pm On Dec 02, 2020
Nigeria is a fake country
Re: Judiciary Tops ICPC Corruption Index With N9.4bn Bribes In Two Years by rowosky(m): 6:07pm On Dec 02, 2020
The Arm of Government that is expected to be the least corrupt is the most corrupt.
Even ICPC is corrupt.

NO CAP
Re: Judiciary Tops ICPC Corruption Index With N9.4bn Bribes In Two Years by Confirmedzombie: 6:09pm On Dec 02, 2020
SE tops the list based on my research.
ABIA 55%
ANAMBRA 50%
ENUGU 45%
IMO 40%
EBONYI 34%

DETAILS SHORTLY
Re: Judiciary Tops ICPC Corruption Index With N9.4bn Bribes In Two Years by omenka(m): 6:12pm On Dec 02, 2020
Cumtroller:
Can they break this down geographically? According to a United Nations study, most corrupt cases emanate from the Northern and Western parts of this country.

Even in a case like this, all a functional human desires is to break down the stats in such a manner as to instigate tribal bashing.

What a crying shame.

It is obvious when a conversation transcends tribal and religious jabs, some of you become so hopelessly handicapped you cant participate in the conversation. That is why you are desperate to reduce this to such a level where your likes can have something to say.

Smh.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Judiciary Tops ICPC Corruption Index With N9.4bn Bribes In Two Years by WoundedLamb: 6:16pm On Dec 02, 2020
Lol... Did y'all read the guy up there who told a story how himself and a few other Nigerians are the only non corrupt individuals left in the country (6th comment, I think)? Let's even ignore the fact that he's made himself the ultimate decider of who's corrupt and who's not, that mindset right there, is the problem of the country. Everyone thinks Nigeria is corrupt cause everyone else is corrupt asides them. We all onhere keep complaining about corruption while projecting the blame to some imaginary entities called "Nigerians". At the end, nothing changes. The guy above didn't steal from the hotel owner, therefore to him, he must be "corrupt free" while others reek of corruption. It doesn't matter anymore what he does outside that hotel. He has so much impressed himself with this 'rare' ability to avoid cheating a business owner to the point that he has made it a motivational speech. Yet that's some people's default lifestyle. I'm sure others have some things they do or do not do that make them feel they are better than everyone else as well. At the end, I wonder who's corrupt.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Judiciary Tops ICPC Corruption Index With N9.4bn Bribes In Two Years by ivolt: 6:19pm On Dec 02, 2020
The civil servants collecting bribe, security guards asking for bribe and the lecturers asking for sorting money all complain about "corrupt leaders".

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Judiciary Tops ICPC Corruption Index With N9.4bn Bribes In Two Years by sonnie10: 6:23pm On Dec 02, 2020
Since that "Technicality" sharia court man was appointed.
Re: Judiciary Tops ICPC Corruption Index With N9.4bn Bribes In Two Years by TOPCRUISE(m): 6:24pm On Dec 02, 2020
Judges and Lawyers are wicked. Many of them are lying with the Bible and Quoran at the moment they swore to uphold justice
Re: Judiciary Tops ICPC Corruption Index With N9.4bn Bribes In Two Years by COMPAQ(m): 6:25pm On Dec 02, 2020
dre11:

https://www.thecable.ng/judiciary-tops-icpc-corruption-index-with-n9-4bn-bribes-in-two-years

So why not plan sting operations to set them up and root out corrupt judges!?

It ain't rocket science.
Re: Judiciary Tops ICPC Corruption Index With N9.4bn Bribes In Two Years by birdgo: 6:26pm On Dec 02, 2020
It is finished! What a government!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Police Arrest 15-Year-Old Student Suspect For Attempted Kidnap In Niger / EFCC Narrows N10bn Fraud Probe To 10 PDP Items’ Spending / Ike Ekweremadu Visits Governor Dickson (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.