Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,718 members, 7,831,279 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 04:30 PM

Ibe Kachikwu: Why My Jaguar Car Was Impounded In The US - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ibe Kachikwu: Why My Jaguar Car Was Impounded In The US (34435 Views)

Ibe Kachikwu Smuggled Exotic Car Stolen From Jaguar Plant: US Govt / 7,200 Joysticks Found In A Ship From Nigeria, Impounded In China - FFK / Ikoyi/VI Clean-Up: 29 Vehicles Impounded In One Night (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ibe Kachikwu: Why My Jaguar Car Was Impounded In The US by luckydion(m): 1:56pm On Aug 24, 2021
INTEGRITYA1:
Me I never knew people are sending Car to America as gifts to America, I've been thinking it's other way round.

The car was therefore released to Dr. Kachikwu.

The car was subsequently returned to the dealer in Nigeria and refunds were made to Dr. Kachikwu.

Did I understand what refund mean, because the write up says the Car was bought in 2009 and has been used for years before been sent to America initially.

Even me, I read the story yesterday but reading this with this "refund" I really don't know what they refunded; is't the shipping money or the purchasing money after used for so many years or its not actually gifted but sold to someone in the USA?

2 Likes

Re: Ibe Kachikwu: Why My Jaguar Car Was Impounded In The US by ogbuefi677(m): 1:57pm On Aug 24, 2021
BeardedMeat:
You are missing the point
There is no missed point anywhere.
The car in question is a was a 4yr old luxury car in 2011 when it was shipped to America,not your regular Corolla or Honda.
It's just like telling me that if I were to relocate from Nigeria to America and I have have a 2017 mercedes that I've been using here which costs 25 million in America,it would make more sense to spend 25m and buy another one instead of spending 5m to ship and clear the car from Nigeria to the US.
You reason am.
Re: Ibe Kachikwu: Why My Jaguar Car Was Impounded In The US by meetirimiya: 1:58pm On Aug 24, 2021
Danjikanbauchi:
do you believe a person like Oke chukwu will steal a car. Haba the guy is bigger than that na
Don't mind them bro. The person in question can buy hundred or more of the jaguar car if he wishes. When I first saw the news I laughed because it was a clear character assassination by whoever sponsored it.
Re: Ibe Kachikwu: Why My Jaguar Car Was Impounded In The US by ogbuefi677(m): 1:58pm On Aug 24, 2021
tnerro1:

No worry , you too go make am grin
The joke is on you who thinks shipping a car,a fairly new luxury one at that,from Nigeria to America is a waste of money.
Na poverty de make person reason like that.
Re: Ibe Kachikwu: Why My Jaguar Car Was Impounded In The US by Nobody: 1:58pm On Aug 24, 2021
ogbuefi677:

Oga,you don't know anything.
Europe has a stricter vehicle inspection routine=fact.
The American Market is highly competitive hence they tend to find way to lower costs of production,hence they make cheaper cars with less specifications compared to Europe.
Hence the car dealers and the buyers who know about cars know European cars are more 'loaded' compared to American cars.
Eg a Toyota Corolla from Europe costs more than that from America,d one from America costs more than same model produced in South Africa.
I have given you verifiable facts, if you don't know,ASK
iwas refering to Purchasing Mercedes cars in America specifically because you mentioned mercedes. i dont know enough about the comparative emission standards to comment. But I can tell you for a fact that you can get a new mercedes car and many other brands in Europe today cheaper than America if you know where to look. it depends on the model though

The attraction of US spec started in the 90s because the dollar was cheap and then people discovered their cars were better equiped compared to Europe. What I am saying is it isnt that clearcut anymore, you can get 25% off discounts in Europe on a mercedes if you know where to shop (depending on model) plus European cars are better specced nowadays and the dollar is the strongest it has ever been add the wahala of getting a car out of the US and the advantages dont really exist like before

There are cars that are cheaper in Yankee like Toyotas but the broad every US car is cheaper does not apply anymore. Now it's a model by model thing.

The stuff you said about cost of production is utter crap. The Mercedes sold in Germany and the one sold in America are (depending on medel) from the same factory) e.g s and E classes Going to Europe and USA are from the same factory. ALL Mercedes GLE and GLSs are made in the USA All G wagons are made in Austria.
Re: Ibe Kachikwu: Why My Jaguar Car Was Impounded In The US by ogbuefi677(m): 2:00pm On Aug 24, 2021
meetirimiya:

Don't mind them bro. The person in question can buy hundred or more of the jaguar car if he wishes. When I first saw the news I laughed because it was a clear character assassination by whoever sponsored it.
That's y it's good not to read only headlines when dealing with Nigerian journalists.
The heading of the news was totally different from the content.
In the body of the news,there was nothing that bordered on smuggling at all.

1 Like

Re: Ibe Kachikwu: Why My Jaguar Car Was Impounded In The US by mormoney85(m): 2:04pm On Aug 24, 2021
greatiyk4u:
This sounds realistically true with facts
Re: Ibe Kachikwu: Why My Jaguar Car Was Impounded In The US by UnabashedIPOB: 2:05pm On Aug 24, 2021
After using the car for some years, it was gifted to a relation in the United States of America (USA) and following due local customs processes, the car was shipped to the US. However, on arrival, the car was impounded by the US Customs on suspicion of being a stolen car and for emission control Infringement as cars with European and African emission control specifications cannot be used in the US.

To ship a car from the ZOO to the US was the dumbest idea I have ever heard. How can you ship a car from a country that has no emission standard to the US, a country that actually cares about their people and the standard of products that are sent to their country? Why are NIGERIANS so stupid?
Re: Ibe Kachikwu: Why My Jaguar Car Was Impounded In The US by Odidigboigbo(m): 2:05pm On Aug 24, 2021
Amuluonyenaego:
Our money impounded, not your car.... Thieves
How is it your money? He bought the car long time ago before he got his first government appointment.
Re: Ibe Kachikwu: Why My Jaguar Car Was Impounded In The US by sabreal: 2:07pm On Aug 24, 2021
abobote:
I never believe that the car was stolen, but shipping a car from Nigeria to US looks awkward.
Mr. Kachukwu was one of the best technocrats to serve the Nigeria government, but unfortunately the corrupt system can not allow people like him to perform optimally

So you mean the corrupt system also used him against himself. He did not perform for the nation, he also fail to perform for himself?
Re: Ibe Kachikwu: Why My Jaguar Car Was Impounded In The US by Odidigboigbo(m): 2:11pm On Aug 24, 2021
BiafraInc:

What a dunce. The car dealer refunded Kachikwu after 12years of sales. 2007 car shipped to the US in 2021? For what exactly, when buying the same in the US will cost less? Some of you should know how to make use of your brains.
check your facts, the incidence did not happen this year
Re: Ibe Kachikwu: Why My Jaguar Car Was Impounded In The US by ogbuefi677(m): 2:15pm On Aug 24, 2021
perambulator:

iwas refering to Purchasing Mercedes cars in America specifically because you mentioned mercedes. i dont know enough about the comparative emission standards to comment. But I can tell you for a fact that you can get a new mercedes car and many other brands in Europe today cheaper than America if you know where to look. it depends on the model though
You are telling a white lie.Why not make a quick research in Auction sites like Copart.com and European ones like Mobile.de instead of brandishing white lies or ignorance online.
If the Mercedes from Europe are cheaper, the market forces will come into play.Which business man doesn't want to maximise profit?
Mercedes has a different package and spec for same cars for Europe and America.
In Europe a 2001 C class is the groundnut eye headlamp one while a 2001 c class is stil the rectangular headlamp.
A 2005 e class from Europe will likely have Navigation and other luxury gizmos like satellite radio etc on all the specs while you will only see it in the luxury edition of an American spec.
That is one of d reasons both the new and Tokumbo Mercedes from Europe cost more than the America.
Nigerians import more from the US because we're currently in the Toyota and Honda craze and those cars are rarely found in Europe not because Toyotas are cheaper in America.
If they are even the same price, ppl will rush d ones from Europe cos shipping is relatively cheaper from Europe and as cheap as 500 euros while you will rarely ship a car with anything less than 1000 dollars.
Re: Ibe Kachikwu: Why My Jaguar Car Was Impounded In The US by ogbuefi677(m): 2:17pm On Aug 24, 2021
UnabashedIPOB:
After using the car for some years, it was gifted to a relation in the United States of America (USA) and following due local customs processes, the car was shipped to the US. However, on arrival, the car was impounded by the US Customs on suspicion of being a stolen car and for emission control Infringement as cars with European and African emission control specifications cannot be used in the US.

To ship a car from the ZOO to the US was the dumbest idea I have ever heard. How can you ship a car from a country that has no emission standard to the US, a country that actually cares about their people and the standard of products that are sent to their country? Why are NIGERIANS so stupid?
Can you swear to God you knew anything about emission standards b4 today?
Re: Ibe Kachikwu: Why My Jaguar Car Was Impounded In The US by Nobody: 2:19pm On Aug 24, 2021
ogbuefi677:

You are telling a white lie.Why not make a quick research in Auction sites like Copart.com and European ones like Mobile.de instead of brandishing white lies or ignorance online.
If the Mercedes from Europe are cheaper, the market forces will come into play.Which business man doesn't want to maximise profit?
Mercedes has a different package and spec for same cars for Europe and America.
In Europe a 2001 C class is the groundnut eye headlamp one while a 2001 c class is stil the rectangular headlamp.
A 2005 e class from Europe will likely have Navigation and other luxury gizmos like satellite radio etc on all the specs while you will only see it in the luxury edition of an American spec.
That is one of d reasons both the new and Tokumbo Mercedes from Europe cost more than the America.
Nigerians import more from the US because we're currently in the Toyota and Honda craze and those cars are rarely found in Europe not because Toyotas are cheaper in America.
If they are even the same price, ppl will rush d ones from Europe cos shipping is relatively cheaper from Europe and as cheap as 500 euros while you will rarely ship a car with anything less than 1000 dollars.

Copart? I am talking about news cars you are talking about salvage? You can get 25/30% discount on a new mercedes in Europe..Minimum discount 15%. You will struggle to get 5% discount in yankee and they will charge you sales tax on top and then you will wait before you can ship. The only mercedes you wont get a discount on right now is still the G-waon I know this for a a fact!! People dont know thats why they are all still buying from USA
Re: Ibe Kachikwu: Why My Jaguar Car Was Impounded In The US by Odidigboigbo(m): 2:20pm On Aug 24, 2021
HEAVEN4444:
bros kwacikwu has been in oyel company for long time. or you think people in oyel company are not stealing our collective wealth ? if it is his hard earned money you think he will be wasting it like this ? making dumb decisions like shipping a car from nigeria to the usa ? thts a wasteful man who did not work for his money. why you keep saying tribalism ? lol kachikwu is from south south. my ancestors are from south south grin
He worked with private oil company (Mobil) not with government company, how then did he stole from your government then?
Re: Ibe Kachikwu: Why My Jaguar Car Was Impounded In The US by tnerro1(m): 2:24pm On Aug 24, 2021
ogbuefi677:

The joke is on you who thinks shipping a car,a fairly new luxury one at that,from Nigeria to America is a waste of money.
If only you know what am doing to you grin

It’s people like you that think you know something, then when MMM comes, you put your small change in it and start crying afterwards grin
Re: Ibe Kachikwu: Why My Jaguar Car Was Impounded In The US by tnerro1(m): 2:27pm On Aug 24, 2021
ogbuefi677:

99% of cars you see on Nigerian roads would not pass the emissions text in US and Europe, if only you know what am doing to you grin
Re: Ibe Kachikwu: Why My Jaguar Car Was Impounded In The US by Nobody: 2:28pm On Aug 24, 2021
ogbuefi677:

If you are buying a new mercedes investigate Europe 1st it depends on the model sometimes you will see 30% discount on a new mercedes. To answer your question, the reason it is difficult to get a used meredes in Europe is because most of their cars are now diesel so their used mercedes will be mainly diesel.

I suggest you look at the price of a new toyota in Europe and America. you will find the European camry is more expensive because in Europe Camry is pitched as a top end saloon, their base level toyota is the(or used to be) Avensis whereas in America it is the camry. Some of these things are also down to market acceptability. Accord/passat are traditionally more expensive than Camry but in Nigeria Passat and Accord are cheaper than camry...even new because Nigerians dont like Honda or Passat. i remmember a few years ago when Stallion was selling passat...it was cheaper than Avensis, common ordinary Avensis that nobody worth his salt will drive abroad...talk. In Europe it's the other way round.

a 2001 model is 2001 model anywhere in the world.

Guy you need to stop posting, the more you post the more you show you dont really know much about cars and you are dealling at a low level with used cars and salvage. you are talking about 2001 model in 2021?
Re: Ibe Kachikwu: Why My Jaguar Car Was Impounded In The US by teepain: 2:45pm On Aug 24, 2021
PAWG:

Madness how? Don’t your brothers ship Toyota from Canada to Nigeria when Toyota is made in South Africa ?

Oga it’s a luxury car he gifted to a relative, or you think it’s easy to buy cars outright in the US?

You read a story, they responded, rather than question the motives of the bloggers that published the first story, you’re more interested in INDICTING the ex-minister;

normal phd Nigerian mentality

I like Kachikwu as a person but this response does not gel.

Bought a Jaguar in Nigeria and after using for some years, gave it out to a relative in the U.S?
U.S authorities suspected that the car was stolen and after investigation, they returned the car to kachikwu?
He shipped it back to Nigeria and got a refund from the dealer inspite of having used it for some years?

How do you get a refund for a good that you bought and used for some years before returning it to the seller. I need to start patronizing this car dealer.

1 Like

Re: Ibe Kachikwu: Why My Jaguar Car Was Impounded In The US by Guestlander: 2:46pm On Aug 24, 2021
After using the car for a few years the car was sent to the U.S as a gift. Car was returned to the dealer in Nigeria and a refund was issued? Why?

1 Like

Re: Ibe Kachikwu: Why My Jaguar Car Was Impounded In The US by Ismailknt(m): 2:46pm On Aug 24, 2021
thatsleepboy1:
Kach that sang Wanted and his father almost got the dose of his song.
beautiful building
Re: Ibe Kachikwu: Why My Jaguar Car Was Impounded In The US by UnabashedIPOB: 3:06pm On Aug 24, 2021
ogbuefi677:

Can you swear to God you knew anything about emission standards b4 today?

Yes I do! Ignorance of ONE is NOT ignorance of ALL!
Re: Ibe Kachikwu: Why My Jaguar Car Was Impounded In The US by goody234: 3:15pm On Aug 24, 2021
This story get K leg...something fishy going on ...davido sing am
Re: Ibe Kachikwu: Why My Jaguar Car Was Impounded In The US by Commotfornigeri: 3:46pm On Aug 24, 2021
Danjikanbauchi:
do you believe a person like Oke chukwu will steal a car. Haba the guy is bigger than that na

Maybe not him, but the dealership he bought it from may have imported a stolen car.

There are thousands of stolen cars that have been imported to nigeria.

Take a look - https://www.iaati.org/news/entry/toronto-baltimore-new-york-intercept-over-900-stolen-cars-bound-for-nigeria
Re: Ibe Kachikwu: Why My Jaguar Car Was Impounded In The US by Chydo001(m): 4:12pm On Aug 24, 2021
Danjikanbauchi:

The whole thing was on 2009 not 2021
Do you know him as of then??

Why is Patami been dragged for what he said years ago before he become minister?
Re: Ibe Kachikwu: Why My Jaguar Car Was Impounded In The US by PAWG(m): 4:27pm On Aug 24, 2021
ogbuefi677:

Poverty has damaged the psyche of the average Nigerian.
So if I buy a 2009 jaguar for £30,000 and I no longer use it,I can't ship same car with average of $1000,pay customs duty like $4000 and dash it to my brother in the US?

I weak o , people seem to think everyone in the US is rich
Re: Ibe Kachikwu: Why My Jaguar Car Was Impounded In The US by PAWG(m): 4:33pm On Aug 24, 2021
Funflipper:

What is difficult in buying a car in the US? And why was the car returned to the dealer with full refund if it wasn't a stolen vehicle afterall? But who in his right senses gifts a nigerian used car to a person leaving in America? Ordinary jaguar not a Lamborghini or a Rolls-Royce.

How many Jags you gat? Stop this finessing, it’s useless.

Some years ago an ex-colleague expatriate shipped his furniture back to the UK after he was transferred. So what are you saying?
Re: Ibe Kachikwu: Why My Jaguar Car Was Impounded In The US by PAWG(m): 4:35pm On Aug 24, 2021
teepain:

I like Kachikwu as a person but this response does not gel.

Bought a Jaguar in Nigeria and after using for some years, gave it out to a relative in the U.S?
U.S authorities suspected that the car was stolen and after investigation, they returned the car to kachikwu?
He shipped it back to Nigeria and got a refund from the dealer inspite of having used it for some years?

How do you get a refund for a good that you bought and used for some years before returning it to the seller. I need to start patronizing this car dealer.

Bro you commented based on your understanding, I’m doing same. The refund was for the shipping, not the car.

Reread the original report and see how the situation was painted.
Re: Ibe Kachikwu: Why My Jaguar Car Was Impounded In The US by teepain: 6:00pm On Aug 24, 2021
PAWG:

Bro you commented based on your understanding, I’m doing same. The refund was for the shipping, not the car.

Reread the original report and see how the situation was painted.

Thanks for the heads up

2 Likes

Re: Ibe Kachikwu: Why My Jaguar Car Was Impounded In The US by Gfskw: 6:06pm On Aug 24, 2021
Who cares
Re: Ibe Kachikwu: Why My Jaguar Car Was Impounded In The US by nedekid: 6:29pm On Aug 24, 2021
abobote:
I never believe that the car was stolen, but shipping a car from Nigeria to US looks awkward.
Mr. Kachukwu was one of the best technocrats to serve the Nigeria government, but unfortunately the corrupt system can not allow people like him to perform optimally
Rich folks work in strange ways. So shipping a car to the US might seen strange to us but not to them.
Re: Ibe Kachikwu: Why My Jaguar Car Was Impounded In The US by nedekid: 6:31pm On Aug 24, 2021
HEAVEN4444:
angry this ibe is a stupid man. he didnt know that nigerian emission laws are different from that of usa ? the plonker wasted all that money shiping the car to the usa and then shipping it back to africa. money miss road
You call ibe a stupid man? If he is the yardstick for stupidity, most Nigerians will pray, pay, fight to be stupid.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Police Take Over APC National Secretariat In Abuja / Kogi Seals Dangote Cement Factory Over Tax Evasion, Debt (Pictures) / Chido Onumah: DSS Arrested Me For Wearing 'We Are All Biafrans' T-shirt (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.