Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,214 members, 7,829,356 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:35 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (1002) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1192233 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (999) (1000) (1001) (1002) (1003) (1004) (1005) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 8:46pm On May 16, 2023
Hwy9:

I don't think it is up to 23kg. Although, they pay more attention on the size and dimension of the bag or box. Typically should be around 7-10kg.

samsmokey:

Yes

That's correct. 2 checked in x 23kg + 1 hand luggage up to 23kg

Thanks Chairmen cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 10:11pm On May 16, 2023
Tinyemeka:
Dear ancestors in the house,

Good day.

I want to apply for car insurance and would like to know which is more cost-effective: whether to buy the insurance with my International driving permit or to first apply for a UK provisional license.

For the preliminary insurance searches, I was seeing annual cost of £700 for a 2010 1.5L engine SUV (insurance group 17E, married, 30-40yrs). Seems quite high to me. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

Tenks.

If you buy insurance with provisional licence then you are not expected to drive alone. With provisional there is suppose to be another experience driver in the car at all times

Because if there is an accident and u yourself provisional. Insurance won't agree to settle except You must be accompanied at all times by a full licence holder who is over 21, qualified to drive the vehicle you're driving and has held their licence for three years.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 10:13pm On May 16, 2023
hustla:
Please does anyone know it the baggage allocation for BAs hand luggage is 23Kg also

2 x 23KG for regular bags and

Hand luggage - 23Kg

Just want to be sure

They now sell one 23kg bag ticket and the standard 2 bag if 23kg ticket so you need to check what kind of ticket it is ...
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by CowbellY: 11:45pm On May 16, 2023
hustla:

Thanks Chairmen cheesy

Also, while the weight is up to 23kg. The dimension of the bag also matters. For example, you can't take an extra Ghana must go as your 23kg o cheesy cheesy

Matter of fact on my trip back yesterday, my check in bag was 30kg and my carry on was 15. I tried to move the extra 7 to my carry on but the agent mentioned that would put my bag above dimension.

So might be important to note that too.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Jlaw1: 1:17am On May 17, 2023
harddrive2012:
Thanks for this brilliant write up. Regarding point number 3, does the required 2 years counts for those teaching in private schools in Nigeria ? Or only Government schools teachers ?.

Secondly, is TRCN mandated for Nigeria teachers before applying ?

Usually, a teacher is a teacher. But the teacher training provider that an applicant chooses will be the one to explain/confirm what type of school one must be working in order to undergo assessment only QTS.

To apply for assessment only QTS, you do NOT need a formal teacher training qualification. So TRCN is NOT required/mandated for this route.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Jlaw1: 1:21am On May 17, 2023
KOVIC19COVID20:

Thank you very much for this detailed info. Are you sure we were not in the same class back then?
I can almost swear you were that kid who always ask for EXTRA SHEETS during exams when some of us have not even used 1 page yet.

I don't think it's me o, because the only extra things I used to ask for back then was extra pocket money cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bluebella(m): 1:48am On May 17, 2023
Greetings to everyone that has and is still contributing their wealth of knowledge to this platform. I appreciate you all. God bless your minds.

Please someone should point me to the page where credit card usage was well explained.

Secondly and most importantly I want someone who can mentor me in Project Management, someone with UK experience (2-3years).
I haven’t been lucky with the interviews of recent and it’s affecting my mental health.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ProfJYK(m): 1:51am On May 17, 2023
hustla:
Please does anyone know it the baggage allocation for BAs hand luggage is 23Kg also

Hand luggage - 23Kg

Just want to be sure

Diff experiences on different occasions.

Abuja is more restrictive. They sight your hand luggage and tell you its too big or heavy or what not without showing you an official document where the weight is written. You will speak grammar tire.

Lagos gives you the dimensions for size only, weight is as long as you can carry it on your back or hand. So put your heavy things in carry on.

Most importantly, one 500 here and another 1000 there can blur the lines and make it easier.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by giselle237: 2:23am On May 17, 2023
hustla:
Hand luggage - 23Kg
Just want to be sure
pls hand/cabin luggage is about 8kg nothing more. Where did you get hand luggage of 23kg from? U allowed hand luggage and 1 laptop bag.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Theadoredone(f): 6:52am On May 17, 2023
Hello Hello my people! smiley

Please has anyone recently extended/renewed a Skilled Worker Dependant child Visa (Under 9 years old) within the UK?

Did you have to take your child (ren) physically to a Biometric center in the UK or were you able to use the App for Biometrics?

My husband and I were able to use the Biometrics App for ours but I'm wondering if it'll be the same for children or they'll just ask us to upload documents and that'll be all..

This information will be really helpful in planning but I can't seem to find a specific answer on the gov.uk website.

Many thanks my people
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Icesnow(f): 7:54am On May 17, 2023
Jlaw1:

Hi.
Great question. The UK has recently introduced a few different routes into teaching. In order to aid my response to your enquiry, could you be nice enough to answer the following:

a. do you have any experience and/or certification in teaching?

b. are you inside/outside the UK currently?
Yes, teaching experience but no teaching certification. Inside the UK. Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by CheesyTee(f): 9:13am On May 17, 2023
You will have to take your child for physical biometric captruring.
Theadoredone:
Hello Hello my people! smiley

Please has anyone recently extended/renewed a Skilled Worker Dependant child Visa (Under 9 years old) within the UK?

Did you have to take your child (ren) physically to a Biometric center in the UK or were you able to use the App for Biometrics?

My husband and I were able to use the Biometrics App for ours but I'm wondering if it'll be the same for children or they'll just ask us to upload documents and that'll be all..

This information will be really helpful in planning but I can't seem to find a specific answer on the gov.uk website.

Many thanks my people

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 9:30am On May 17, 2023
bluebella:
Greetings to everyone that has and is still contributing their wealth of knowledge to this platform. I appreciate you all. God bless your minds.

Please someone should point me to the page where credit card usage was well explained.

Secondly and most importantly I want someone who can mentor me in Project Management, someone with UK experience (2-3years).
I haven’t been lucky with the interviews of recent and it’s affecting my mental health.

I made a post on credit card usage last year
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 9:32am On May 17, 2023
Solumtoya:
So Credit Cards (CCs) are one of the best Credit Tools you can have but yes, like every good thing, it does have its dangers.

Most folks here are trying to build Credit Score and to be very honest, CCs are the easiest way to do so. There are so many other ways, of course, and you should do them: Registering in the Electoral Register, Setting up Direct Debits for Utility Bills, Phone/SIM Contracts, etc but from experience since these are not Credit facilities, they may not boost your score as much as a CC.

The rules of CC usage are simple: ensure you pay at least the minimum balance (usually 10% of your usage as at the statement date). So if your cycle is 1st to 30th of every month, on the 30th, you get a statement saying you have used £2,000 and you are given a grace period (typically extra 14 to 23 days) to pay back 10% or more, and whatever balance is unpaid, interest will be charged to the card after the grace period. During this grace period, the next cycle has obviously started running. And the next month balance will sum of what you spent in the month, plus the unpaid balance from the previous month and the interest added. IF YOU DON'T PAY THIS MINIMUM, YOU HAVE DEFAULTED.

Now, the main reasons why CCs are a brilliant facility are evident:
1. Their Interest-free periods means you can use them without ever paying interests: to do this, you must pay everything in full as the interest only starts counting on the unpaid balance after the grace period. An exception is usually Cash Withdrawals, Interest on Cash Withdrawals start counting immediately. Another evil trick of Cash Withdrawal is usually that their interest is higher. There's another evil of Cash Withdrawals but it might be a little technical to explain in this post. Just avoid Cash Withdrawals if you don't want interest
2. CCs are revolving, meaning they are like Overdrafts, not Term Loans, so if I have a limit of £6k, when I spend it and repay, my full limit is re-instated, so I don’t need to re-apply (ever) unless I void the contract. 3. Rewards: Most CCs earn you Miles, Points, etc for usage and referrals.
4. Fees: Many CCs come with little or no extra fees to the Cardholder. I could go on and on.

So, pretty much, you can use your Debit Card for only Cash Withdrawal and use Cash for non-Card payments, while you use your CC for everything else and pay little or no interest while building your credit score.

Now, as beautiful as it sounds, in my 7 years as a Credit Card Product Manager, I have seen so many people wallow in heavy credit card debts. The truth is most humans are not just disciplined enough to handle such an allowance of funds. They deep their hands into it at the slightest opportunity and end up living above their means. CCs are very addictive so don't get a CC if you love to spend, the CC provider would love you and keep increasing your limit and you may land in a gloomy state: you earn just £2k monthly and are given a £6k CC, as you spend and spend, they keep increasing the limit and before you know it, you have a £20k CC fully spent on that Funeral you sponsored in Oshogbo and that trip to Turkey. How will you pay You break the card and start paying back £600 monthly, but that covers only the interest and the amount is NOT reducing every month. You realize you are stuck and have fallen for our trap and that is how we make our interest income and cover for those who are using the card wisely.

I'm sorry this post was really long, I even had to cut this short because I could go on and on about the benefits of CC (purchase protection, chargeback, acceptance, etc), the financially wise know this and hardly ever use Debit Cards but enjoy the benefits of a CC. The financially foolish use CCs to have fun for a few years or months and spend the rest of their lives as slaves to it. The choice is yours!

EDIT: For those who want the easy-to-get AMEX card with NO FIXED fees, you can use my referral link below. You get points for British Airways flights and Holiday bookings:

https://americanexpress.com/en-gb/referral/jEDIDAcKK3?XL=MNANS

Bluebella, there you go

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Peerielass: 9:35am On May 17, 2023
hustla:

Hand luggage - 23Kg

Just want to be sure

Yes it is but you need to check the dimensions of the suitcase and not just the weight.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Peerielass: 9:41am On May 17, 2023
giselle237:
pls hand/cabin luggage is about 8kg nothing more. Where did you get hand luggage of 23kg from? U allowed hand luggage and 1 laptop bag.

It’s different though for BA and it’s on their website.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Adebayo82: 10:19am On May 17, 2023
Good day my people. Please how can one response to a situation whereby child dependent visa expired before the new application was initiated. It expires on 13th of May 2023 and is not intentionally done but due to some financial difficulties. Currently, I'm on top of filling a new application to renew the visa for the children, and I got a stage in the application where is stated that provides "Evidence for not applying before your permission to be in Uk expired" what reason should i gives to convince home office.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by giselle237: 10:35am On May 17, 2023
Peerielass:

It’s different though for BA and it’s on their website.
it is not
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mimilyrics: 10:44am On May 17, 2023
What was your exact reason for not submitting an application for them as financial difficulties isn’t a good enough reason for a points-based visa?

Whatever reason you give also has to be backed up by irrefutable evidence. If anyone gives a possible reason here, would you have verifiable evidence that was in existence as at May 13? So you see that this is a bit tricky.
Getting legal advise might help at this point.
Adebayo82:
Good day my people. Please how can one response to a situation whereby child dependent visa expired before the new application was initiated. It expires on 13th of May 2023 and is not intentionally done but due to some financial difficulties. Currently, I'm on top of filling a new application to renew the visa for the children, and I got a stage in the application where is stated that provides "Evidence for not applying before your permission to be in Uk expired" what reason should i gives to convince home office.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Peerielass: 11:31am On May 17, 2023
giselle237:
it is not

Ok whatever you say! You obviously know better than the carrier’s website: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/baggage-essentials/checked-baggage-allowances

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by MaBuk(f): 11:49am On May 17, 2023
Good day all,
Please I renewed my Nigeria passport with my family in London since first week in April this year. I tried to trace the package on royal mail, but they said it hasn't been sent to them from the embassy.
I have been calling the embassy but they never pick up. I live outside London and going to London to make this enquiry will be very stressful. Does anyone know how else I can contact them to know if the passport is still under processing.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 12:07pm On May 17, 2023
Adebayo82:

They accept 14 days after expiry so hurry and submit. There cost of living crises jare so financial difficulties is way more than enough reason.. just fill and explain that. If you want to submit bank statement showing you had no money before then do so. ..but for me that is way more than enough reason

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Babynoah: 1:10pm On May 17, 2023
Noted

Solumtoya:

Bluebella, there you go
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Babynoah: 1:12pm On May 17, 2023
Noted
Solumtoya:
So Credit Cards (CCs) are one of the best Credit Tools you can have but yes, like every good thing, it does have its dangers.

Most folks here are trying to build Credit Score and to be very honest, CCs are the easiest way to do so. There are so many other ways, of course, and you should do them: Registering in the Electoral Register, Setting up Direct Debits for Utility Bills, Phone/SIM Contracts, etc but from experience since these are not Credit facilities, they may not boost your score as much as a CC.

The rules of CC usage are simple: ensure you pay at least the minimum balance (usually 10% of your usage as at the statement date). So if your cycle is 1st to 30th of every month, on the 30th, you get a statement saying you have used £2,000 and you are given a grace period (typically extra 14 to 23 days) to pay back 10% or more, and whatever balance is unpaid, interest will be charged to the card after the grace period. During this grace period, the next cycle has obviously started running. And the next month balance will sum of what you spent in the month, plus the unpaid balance from the previous month and the interest added. IF YOU DON'T PAY THIS MINIMUM, YOU HAVE DEFAULTED.

Now, the main reasons why CCs are a brilliant facility are evident:
1. Their Interest-free periods means you can use them without ever paying interests: to do this, you must pay everything in full as the interest only starts counting on the unpaid balance after the grace period. An exception is usually Cash Withdrawals, Interest on Cash Withdrawals start counting immediately. Another evil trick of Cash Withdrawal is usually that their interest is higher. There's another evil of Cash Withdrawals but it might be a little technical to explain in this post. Just avoid Cash Withdrawals if you don't want interest
2. CCs are revolving, meaning they are like Overdrafts, not Term Loans, so if I have a limit of £6k, when I spend it and repay, my full limit is re-instated, so I don’t need to re-apply (ever) unless I void the contract. 3. Rewards: Most CCs earn you Miles, Points, etc for usage and referrals.
4. Fees: Many CCs come with little or no extra fees to the Cardholder. I could go on and on.

So, pretty much, you can use your Debit Card for only Cash Withdrawal and use Cash for non-Card payments, while you use your CC for everything else and pay little or no interest while building your credit score.

Now, as beautiful as it sounds, in my 7 years as a Credit Card Product Manager, I have seen so many people wallow in heavy credit card debts. The truth is most humans are not just disciplined enough to handle such an allowance of funds. They deep their hands into it at the slightest opportunity and end up living above their means. CCs are very addictive so don't get a CC if you love to spend, the CC provider would love you and keep increasing your limit and you may land in a gloomy state: you earn just £2k monthly and are given a £6k CC, as you spend and spend, they keep increasing the limit and before you know it, you have a £20k CC fully spent on that Funeral you sponsored in Oshogbo and that trip to Turkey. How will you pay You break the card and start paying back £600 monthly, but that covers only the interest and the amount is NOT reducing every month. You realize you are stuck and have fallen for our trap and that is how we make our interest income and cover for those who are using the card wisely.

I'm sorry this post was really long, I even had to cut this short because I could go on and on about the benefits of CC (purchase protection, chargeback, acceptance, etc), the financially wise know this and hardly ever use Debit Cards but enjoy the benefits of a CC. The financially foolish use CCs to have fun for a few years or months and spend the rest of their lives as slaves to it. The choice is yours!

EDIT: For those who want the easy-to-get AMEX card with NO FIXED fees, you can use my referral link below. You get points for British Airways flights and Holiday bookings:

https://americanexpress.com/en-gb/referral/jEDIDAcKK3?XL=MNANS
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by harddrive2012: 1:15pm On May 17, 2023
I don’t know why you say AmericanExpress is easy to get. Seems to be one of the toughest card to get.

Solumtoya:

Bluebella, there you go
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Jlaw1: 1:19pm On May 17, 2023
Icesnow:
Yes, teaching experience but no teaching certification. Inside the UK. Thanks

Kindly read my post on page 1001. I believe this should answer your enquiry.
Cheers.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by heroshark(m): 1:40pm On May 17, 2023
Adebayo82:

The rule of thumb is to always tell the truth. The Truth Only, it can be whole truth or half truth.

If it's due to financial issues, state it but go further to explain if there is any exceptional circumstance that caused it (feel free to invent one here). Normally, you should've plan for it. but make a strong case.

Also point out why it's not feasible for the kids to leaven the UK upon expiration of the visa.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by KingDemolah(m): 2:44pm On May 17, 2023
milkytins:
My collection date was April 28th. Still waiting too. Do we need to go there?

I didn't go back because I've been busy and stay far from London but mine was delivered today. it's just to patiently wait for it.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by yolkman20: 3:03pm On May 17, 2023
Hello guys,
I made a mistake while applying for my baby's visa. Her name was arranged incorrectly . Her middle name was swapped for her first name but all the names on her passport appears in the application. I have submitted before I realized. What can I do? does it matter? should I ring them? cancel the application or just ignore it?

Her current visa expires in 1 week. Looking forward to your kind responses.

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by MaBuk(f): 3:06pm On May 17, 2023
Please, mine was renewal, I wasnt given any collection date, I was told it will be delivered via royal mine and I can track it but nothing showing via track. Royal mail said the passport haven't gotten to them. I captured last month April 6th. Like how many weeks does it take to get a renewed passport.

I am even shaking I didn't know of collection date.

KingDemolah:

I didn't go back because I've been busy and stay far from London but mine was delivered today. it's just to patiently wait for it.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by MaBuk(f): 3:06pm On May 17, 2023
MaBuk:
Please, mine was renewal, I wasnt given any collection date, I was told it will be delivered via royal mail and I can track it but nothing is showing via track. Royal mail said the passport haven't gotten to them. I captured last month April 6th. Like how many weeks does it take to get a renewed passport.

I am even shaking I didn't know of collection date.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 3:07pm On May 17, 2023
harddrive2012:
I don’t know why you say AmericanExpress is easy to get. Seems to be one of the toughest card to get.

Toughest, you say... Can you name other cards that are easier?

(1) (2) (3) ... (999) (1000) (1001) (1002) (1003) (1004) (1005) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.