Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,799 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:14 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (104) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1180788 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (101) (102) (103) (104) (105) (106) (107) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dupyshoo: 9:02pm On Dec 02, 2021
Struggling to find any info that says getting a provisional licence invalidates your international drivers licence. Instead, I am finding contrary info.
Please can someone be kind enough to share link that support this?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by STENON(f): 9:08pm On Dec 02, 2021
omopapa and Mamatukwas Please do you change naira to pounds ? If yes, please what is your exchange rate. Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 9:35pm On Dec 02, 2021
Lexusgs430:

Not actually the case ........ Those coming from Nigeria, have a sense of entitlement..........

- The UK resident, regulates the heater...... The Nigerian visitor, turns heating on 24/7....... grin

- UK resident only eats one meat....... Nigerian visitor takes 4 ........

- UK resident is size 8...... Nigerian resident is size 8 ...... UK residents shoes go begin witness unauthorised access........ grin

- UK resident is a recluse..... Nigerian visitor go bring unauthorised friend's, without seeking consent....... grin Then go chop all the chopables and drink all the drinkables......... grin

Nigerian visitor would always selfishly spend their BTA, whilst been a parasite on UK residents bank account....... grin

ETC ETC ETC ETC ....... grin

The list too plenty joor .........

Not to generalise but this is true.... there usually a big difference between a Nigerian who just came and one that has been living here. I find that it takes almost 2years for the newly income to unlearn and relearn some new ways

You cant blame the people here for not helping, the ungratefulness and entitlement of most newly come is something else. Until they walk the journey of life in UK, they can't really understand

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 10:08pm On Dec 02, 2021
izyblaze:
Trust me, nobody wants to feel that way. I felt sooooo bad, because she kept insisting I come stay with her. If I had known, I would have just gone ahead and rent ooooo. The 450 I spent for 7 days quarantine (did test to release) is that not enough to get a single room ni. As for our relationship, I didn’t hold anything against her, and still kept talking to her, but I guess she felt guilty, because we’ve not seen, neither has she called me since I arrived grin

Wooow i am so proud of you…. Shes lucky to have a friend like you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Pearlyfaze: 10:23pm On Dec 02, 2021
wonlasewonimi:

dont overstay your welcome even if you pay their full rent cheesy

I hear this loud and clear.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Oggg: 11:43pm On Dec 02, 2021
inphoenix:

My people, please does any one know the procedure for dependant biometric capture? Why does it cost an additional £125 and will the principal applicant still need to do the same after using the ID check app? Those who have applied/switched visas from within the UK can anyone help out please?
try to check for dates 28 days after and exactly 9am. That is when free appointments are released. Not 8:59… 9:00am sharp
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheOnly123: 11:54pm On Dec 02, 2021
Hello Guys, please at what point does a student who has finished his/her course start to pay council tax?

Is it once project is submitted?
Is it once result is out?
Is it after graduation ceremony?
Is it after the student visa expires?

Or if there are any other scenario asides the above, I'd like to know when one needs to start paying.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by wiselong: 12:56am On Dec 03, 2021
After the month listed on your school enrollment letter as the end of your program. i.e if your school letter states Sept 2021. You will start paying 1st Oct, 2021

TheOnly123:
Hello Guys, please at what point does a student who has finished his/her course start to pay council tax?

Is it once project is submitted?
Is it once result is out?
Is it after graduation ceremony?
Is it after the student visa expires?

Or if there are any other scenario asides the above, I'd like to know when one needs to start paying.

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ukay2: 3:11am On Dec 03, 2021
izyblaze:
Trust me, nobody wants to feel that way. I felt sooooo bad, because she kept insisting I come stay with her. If I had known, I would have just gone ahead and rent ooooo. The 450 I spent for 7 days quarantine (did test to release) is that not enough to get a single room ni. As for our relationship, I didn’t hold anything against her, and still kept talking to her, but I guess she felt guilty, because we’ve not seen, neither has she called me since I arrived grin

Life goes on....move

This is why l booked only airbnb when I was visiting the UK despite having friends in the UK. I don't like headaches grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ukay2: 3:14am On Dec 03, 2021
Lexusgs430:

I subtly dropped a hint .......... grin

I have heard such scenario's, play out many more times than I can count........ cheesy

She was even nice enough to tell you, whilst you were still in Nigeria............. Some would simply turn off their phone's, when you land in the UK ........ grin

grin grin

Such scenarios made me always mind my business in this UK.. grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ukay2: 3:20am On Dec 03, 2021
Lexusgs430:

Not actually the case ........ Those coming from Nigeria, have a sense of entitlement..........

- The UK resident, regulates the heater...... The Nigerian visitor, turns heating on 24/7....... grin

- UK resident only eats one meat....... Nigerian visitor takes 4 ........

- UK resident is size 8...... Nigerian resident is size 8 ...... UK residents shoes go begin witness unauthorised access........ grin

- UK resident is a recluse..... Nigerian visitor go bring unauthorised friend's, without seeking consent....... grin Then go chop all the chopables and drink all the drinkables......... grin

Nigerian visitor would always selfishly spend their BTA, whilst been a parasite on UK residents bank account....... grin

ETC ETC ETC ETC ....... grin

The list too plenty joor .........

Hmmm

I now understand
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mimzyy(f): 6:47am On Dec 03, 2021
You would receive an appointment email but it’s not going to be anytime soon. They have got back log and waiting time is currently between 5-6 months. However, if you can’t wait that long, you can use the fast track option. You simply go there any day of your choosing between Wednesday to Friday with an extra £100 or £120 (not sure) in addition to your £20 postal order and stamped special delivery envelope for each of your application.

daholiest:
Please how long does it take after paying for online passport renewal and sending a mail, would you receive an appointment booking for biometrics here in the UK.( forgive my ignorance)

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 8:10am On Dec 03, 2021
Lexusgs430:

After doing all this, one go pack better stress put for head, in Nigeria............ wink

Make una just siddon jejely for UK, that fake drug dealer go soon talk say, we are too poor to travel........ cheesy
That is story for another day
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by inphoenix: 10:06am On Dec 03, 2021
Oggg:
try to check for dates 28 days after and exactly 9am. That is when free appointments are released. Not 8:59… 9:00am sharp

Thanks, but there are no appointments beyond December 30th and even the ones as late as 7pm are chargeable. I've checked all service centres and it is the same.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amazoner01: 10:25am On Dec 03, 2021
I need pounds, have got naira,
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by omopapa: 1:39pm On Dec 03, 2021
How much
Amazoner01:
I need pounds, have got naira,
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by omopapa: 1:39pm On Dec 03, 2021
STENON:
omopapa and Mamatukwas Please do you change naira to pounds ? If yes, please what is your exchange rate. Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amazoner01: 1:50pm On Dec 03, 2021
omopapa:
How much
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by captainhoo: 3:05pm On Dec 03, 2021
wiselong:
After the month listed on your school enrollment letter as the end of your program. i.e if your school letter states Sept 2021. You will start paying 1st Oct, 2021

I don't think this is true. Throughout my master's program ( including the 4 months extra on the tier 4 visa), I never paid council tax neither was any demanded from me.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 3:25pm On Dec 03, 2021
captainhoo:

I don't think this is true. Throughout my master's program ( including the 4 months extra on the tier 4 visa), I never paid council tax neither was any demanded from me.

It is actually true.
Liability to council tax arises from the time one ceases to be a full-time student, which is the course end date, and before graduation, as the case may be.

The fact that a council does not pursue someone for the payment does not mean the liability does not exist.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by omopapa: 3:34pm On Dec 03, 2021
Come to the DM sir
Amazoner01:

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by inphoenix: 3:39pm On Dec 03, 2021
TheGuyFromHR:

I saw your earlier query.
The 125 is the UKVCAS (think TLS) fee and cant be avoided, and its only for children or people unable to use the app, so if you've used the app, you're fine.

Oh well. Just find that strange because dependant's pay an additional £19.50 with the visa fee for biometrics to UKVI. The UKVCAS collects this (already paid for) biometrics, which is what TLS does without charging any fee except additional charges which are optional. I'm just curious why this £125 is being charges and why it cannot be avoided.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by inphoenix: 3:43pm On Dec 03, 2021
TheGuyFromHR:

It is actually true.
Liability to council tax arises from the time one ceases to be a full-time student, which is the course end date, and before graduation, as the case may be.

The fact that a council does not pursue someone for the payment does not mean the liability does not exist.

I thought liability to pay Council tax is on the homeowner, not the tenant? I have not been paying nor asked to pay Council tax. Who is in trouble me or my "landlord"?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 3:46pm On Dec 03, 2021
inphoenix:

Oh well. Just find that strange because dependant's pay an additional £19.50 with the visa fee for biometrics to UKVI. The UKVCAS collects this (already paid for) biometrics, which is what TLS does without charging any fee except additional charges which are optional. I'm just curious why this £125 is being charges and why it cannot be avoided.

I know someone who recently got his family's ILR, and had to use that process.
He said he logged in at every hour possible as both he and his wife were working from home, including the 9 am someone previously mentioned and never saw a free date, and ended up having to pay the fee.

They say there are free dates, yes, but if so they vanish so fast that if you're bound to a visa renewal timeframe you cant continue waiting indefinitely.

It's all part of the visa fee revenue-generating system, and it is simply what it is.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 3:48pm On Dec 03, 2021
inphoenix:

I thought liability to pay Council tax is on the homeowner, not the tenant? I have not been paying nor asked to pay Council tax. Who is in trouble me or my "landlord"?

As the occupier, you are liable for the tax.
Your landlord would be liable if the place were empty, even though the council can give them some form of rebate in that event.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by inphoenix: 3:57pm On Dec 03, 2021
TheGuyFromHR:

I know someone who recently got his family's ILR, and had to use that process.
He said he logged in at every hour possible as both he and his wife were working from home, including the 9 am someone previously mentioned and never saw a free date, and ended up having to pay the fee.

They say there are free dates, yes, but if so they vanish so fast that if you're bound to a visa renewal timeframe you cant continue waiting indefinitely.

It's all part of the visa fee revenue-generating system, and it is simply what it is.

Thanks for the info. I better just pay the £125 then.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 4:59pm On Dec 03, 2021
inphoenix:

No not the landlord at all....except if the landlord rented it as all inclusive and is paying on behalf... if not, its always the occupier (owner or tenant)

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 5:05pm On Dec 03, 2021
Regex:

My Aunty book flight to USA that day she knows I will be coming in, only for me to reach and call and she told me she's no longer in UK, she is now in US.

A friend and her son were relocating from naija , her plan was to stay with her brother only for him to say he relocating to USA. She came and found her own accommodation

It then turns out the brother was never relocating anywhere and just lied....but then do you blame him

When I asked what was her plan, she had planned for her and her son to live with her brother for one year, but he lives in a one bed and has lived alone for yearssss. He didn't have the courage to say no so he lived, but can't blame him. One year plan in his one bed, that isn't fair to him too but most times people think only of themselves. What they can save not how inconvenient it is to the host

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ukay2: 5:13pm On Dec 03, 2021
omopapa:
Come to the DM sir

Sent a DM
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by gistbite(f): 5:14pm On Dec 03, 2021
Hello Guys. I want to book the day 2 and 8 test. Which lab will you recommend (with link please)
And do I have to book the test for my two years daughter or fill the locator form for her?

Thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by wallg123: 5:18pm On Dec 03, 2021
gistbite:
Hello Guys. I want to book the day 2 and 8 test. Which lab will you recommend (with link please)
And do I have to book the test for my two years daughter or fill the locator form for her?

Thank you.
Use boots online …. It’s straight forward

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (101) (102) (103) (104) (105) (106) (107) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.